Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This season was not a complete failure.

TheMiz

22 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Ok.  I hate when. A term gets used so often that it completely loses its meaning.  Luck was not the best QB of his generation.  Of guys close to his age, or in his "generation" He's not head and shoulders above Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson, Derek Carr, Garroppolo, etc.... Just like when people say a player is prototypical..... That means he's the first of a kind, but everyone uses it to try and say someone matches the desired qualities of a position..... 

/End rant

Prototypical does not have to mean the first of a kind. The second definition you used is indeed a definition of the word "prototypical."

37 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Ok.  I hate when. A term gets used so often that it completely loses its meaning.  Luck was not the best QB of his generation.  Of guys close to his age, or in his "generation" He's not head and shoulders above Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson, Derek Carr, Garroppolo, etc.... Just like when people say a player is prototypical..... That means he's the first of a kind, but everyone uses it to try and say someone matches the desired qualities of a position..... 

/End rant

Those you mention probably have more skill than Luck, but what Andrew did was what the Colts needed today- he refused to let his team fall apart in the face of a few bad breaks.  He, more often than not, took it upon himself to Will the team to a needed first down or touchdown. He either ran, or dove, or just challenged defenses to stop him.  That, in the end, was his downfall, because of injuries.  

Jacoby might be the team leader, but he doesn’t have the skills or reckless determination/refusal to lose to make a game-saving drive like Luck did.

This team was set up perfectly for a Luck-type QB to take this team far into the playoffs.  Unfortunately, we don’t have one of those on this team, today...

2 hours ago, TheMiz said:

First of all, think of what has happened the last couple times we unexpectedly lost our starting QB. The team was fighting for the #1 overall draft pick. All arrows point to this team finishing 7-9, which means the overall talent has increased, and is not as reliant on superb QB play as it has been in the past. 

On paper the D is actually good, just not good enough to carry a team. There is some great building blocks on offense, especially the o-line. Our RB Corp looks like it will continue to be legit. We have our answer on what Jacoby is, and that is a great backup/ fringe starter QB...and there's nothing wrong with that, but he should not be plan #1. We have a couple of young promising pass catchers, but this is an obvious area that needs to be improved in the off-season.

I know it sucks to look at a lost season, but there is still hope for the future with this squad...with Ballard continuing to build and fill holes through the draft.

Our franchise QB quit on us...our 1 and only offensive FA breaks his collarbone in the first game...our number one TE , wide receiver and RB are probably done for the year...our kicker can't make a fg over 15 yards..our #1 pass rusher breaks his leg...yep lots lots of hope for the future indeed.

3 minutes ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

That was like in the 60s or 70s, how many lefties been good since? Or Alabama QBs ever?

I don’t care about those technicalities.  I just responded to your statement that no Alabama QB had ever made it in the NFL.  By the way, I’ve watched the Colts since the 50s, so the 60s and 70s seem modern to me...

Stabler and Namath went to Alabama.

Well, the"negativers"are overly negative and the "positivers"are too sunny. Some perspective?

Here's the truth: TY Hilton is the  critical piece of the offense. If he's out, there is no number two. The Colts need a major upgrade at this position or there will be trouble next year too. Ballard has to be very, very aggressive in fixing this problem. And it needs to be this off season. 

Here's the truth: Jack Doyle is a solid TE but he isn't a dangerous weapon. He's a great chain mover, which is truly valuable, but not enough. The Colts could really use a game changer at the position. Last year Ebron was that guy. That guy is now gone. I'd look for a FA or high draft pick here. 

Here's the truth: The "JB is terrible crowd" is wrong. He isn't awful;  the WR talent around him is mediocre. But he does have limitations and the rest of the season should be spent analyzing whether or not those limits can be overcome. If the coaches and brass believe he can get good enough to become a top QB, then ok. If not, the Colts have to draft a QB high in the 2020 draft and groom him. Just some perspective: JB is still learning and hopefully growing. 

Here's the truth: The Colts were thrown a terrible curve ball when Andrew Luck decided to walk away. If he saw his future as a crippled, demented old guy, I do get it. But his timing was just atrocious and left the team that was being built around him in a horrible position. What we are seeing today is directly related to Luck's decision. So keep some perspective on this, and understand it will take some time to overcome Andrew's retirement. 

Here's the truth: The defense has some great young players and has a terrific future. The Colts have invested well there and it will pay some big time dividends down the road. The are extremely young. We fans are going to enjoy watching them grow. Another high draft pick at DT? I'm good with that. But this D is going to be special, and is a strength.  

So....the future isn't all roses, but it has an upward trend. This off season will be critical for the immediate future of this team. Ballard has his greatest challenge yet; I'm glad the Colts have a guy of his talent making the calls. But his decisions in building the Colt offense of the future are going to make or break this team. Personally, I like their chances. This team has an excellent team culture and some genuine talent. The arrow still points north. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Is my math wrong or does 6+4 = 10? 

Well by my standards you are correct however in this day and age everything subjective in fact there’s no wrong answer anymore if 6+4 = 9 hey that’s OK as long as you feel good about it.  That’s the most important thing 

14 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Boomer retired before Young. Stabler was way before Young.

So, like I said, Steve Young is probably the most recent example of a great left handed QB

I wasn't correcting you.  Just adding more names to the conversation.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Ok I know I'm reaching but aren't Brady and brees free agents ?if they came free do u take shot on a 2 year deal and groom a draft pick 

I don't think either of those 2 are realistic as they will be retained by their teams. But Rivers, Manning, and Roethlisberger may be available and good options to bridge the gap for a young QB.

7 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Ok I know I'm reaching but aren't Brady and brees free agents ?if they came free do u take shot on a 2 year deal and groom a draft pick 

I saw a tweet from someone thought maybe we could try and get Brees for a year. Maybe we can talk Luck into coming back for a year or two and help develop a new QB.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I saw a tweet from someone thought maybe we could try and get Brees for a year. Maybe we can talk Luck into coming back for a year or two and help develop a new QB.

I mean if Brees is an option, that's a good one. But why would the Saints let Brees go?

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

I mean if Brees is an option, that's a good one. But why would the Saints let Brees go?

Because maybe they are ready to turn it over to Bridgewater and in order to keep him they will have to guarantee he starts next year. I guess it just depends if teddy is willing to wait another year for Brees to retire.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just no. Rivers arm is gone. Manning is a statue. 

Kurt Warner was a statue when Eli was drafted...and Warner was there to fill the same role

Edit: for those not tracking, after Warner bridged the gap to Eli he statued his way to a Super Bowl appearance with the Arizona Cardinals

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

/End rant

(slow clap) thank you. 

Luck was a good role model, citizen... Blah blah blah.. Above average qb... Not generational. 

Just now, Ratking said:

(slow clap) thank you. 

Luck was a good role model, citizen... Blah blah blah.. Above average qb... Not generational. 

Luck was a generational QB till injuries took his career and his love of the game away.

I guess you forgot about him breaking just about every record there was to break in his first three seasons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck was a generational QB till injuries took his career and his love of the game away.

I guess you forgot about him breaking just about every record there was to break in his first three seasons. 

With 6 games a year against afc South teams... 

3 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Definitely. But my main point was that we hovered around average with a unfortunate QB situation. An upgrade to that one position could swing us 3-4 games...which would be really good

That’s the most difficult to upgrade. We had our QB and he bounced on us.