Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This season was not a complete failure.

TheMiz

First of all, think of what has happened the last couple times we unexpectedly lost our starting QB. The team was fighting for the #1 overall draft pick. All arrows point to this team finishing 7-9, which means the overall talent has increased, and is not as reliant on superb QB play as it has been in the past. 

On paper the D is actually good, just not good enough to carry a team. There is some great building blocks on offense, especially the o-line. Our RB Corp looks like it will continue to be legit. We have our answer on what Jacoby is, and that is a great backup/ fringe starter QB...and there's nothing wrong with that, but he should not be plan #1. We have a couple of young promising pass catchers, but this is an obvious area that needs to be improved in the off-season.

I know it sucks to look at a lost season, but there is still hope for the future with this squad...with Ballard continuing to build and fill holes through the draft.

• Like 5

I mean, given that Vegas had the Colts pegged as legit SB contenders, as did observers going into this season, being 6-6 isn't a complete failure, it's just really close to one.

I'm just going to sit back and wait this out. Ballard has his work cut out for him. I hope he's asking the right questions though. 

The reality is that this team is very young and inexperienced. A generation QB retired this season and our coaching staff has absolutely dominated the challenge. Reich's staff has repeatedly shown that it is able to coach  players to their best ability. From Pascal to Moore II and the rookies on defense playing exceptionally well. Bobby Okereke looks like the Yin to Leonard's Yang. 

This does not go without the occasional mistake. However, this team has a rock solid foundation for the years to come. Our Colts more than likely do not make the playoffs this year. At the same time, I don't think ending with a positive record is out of the question for this year. 

Given all the obstacles that have been thrown at this team this year, I would say the Colts have done a great job. Without being a homer, the Colts have had A LOT of questionable calls this year in regards to officiating. I say without being a homer because most of the announcers blatantly agree; followed by a convoluted explanation from some "rules analyst". Anyhow, combine that with a plethora of injuries and Luck's retirement... This coaching staff has done it's job phenomenally. Especially Matt Eberflus. 

All in all, Colts fans... Do not be to down after this loss. The future for the Colts is bright. We probably still end up at least .500 this season. I would say if most were asked what our record would be at the beginning of the season; 8-8 would've been a respectable, reasonable response. Our team needs the enthusiasm of the fan base to remain intact. GO COLTS!!!

• Like 4

Just now, The Fish said:

I mean, given that Vegas had the Colts pegged as legit SB contenders, as did observers going into this season, being 6-6 isn't a complete failure, it's just really close to one.

I'm just going to sit back and wait this out. Ballard has his work cut out for him. I hope he's asking the right questions though. 

That was assuming the colts had a top 5 QB though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not a complete failure but the Colts are close to NFL no man’s land because of that.  It’s better to be really good or really bad than average.

Definitely. But my main point was that we hovered around average with a unfortunate QB situation. An upgrade to that one position could swing us 3-4 games...which would be really good

5 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Definitely. But my main point was that we hovered around average with a unfortunate QB situation. An upgrade to that one position could swing us 3-4 games...which would be really good

Yes it would but it’s going to be hard to get that upgrade being average.  It forces you into mortgaging your future a bit with draft picks.  Then you had better be right or you end up with the Jeff George Colts.

Tank for tua haha, but in seriousness there's not much you can do when your QB retires and you lose three of your top weapons on offense along with injuries to other key weapons as well and that then leads to our defense being stuck on the field even when they get turnovers

• Like 3

How u figure? Preseason when luck retires nobody had hi Hope's. Then move ahead in time we sit 5-2 2nd in AFC and the expectations changed cuz we were really a cruddy kicker from being 6-1. Then the wheels fell off due to injuries yes to a point but we have zero depth at key positions, cruddy coaching/decisions/play calling,kicker that couldn't make a fg with goal post as wide as a barn. Need a new coach and let Frank concentrate on offensive coordinator only role,draft or sign if available a legitimate qb.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Tank for tua haha, but in seriousness there's not much you can do when your QB retires and you lose three of your top weapons on offense along with injuries to other key weapons as well and that then leads to our defense being stuck on the field even when they get turnovers

QB. Tua will suck, lefty plus no Alabama qb has ever been good in nfl,most dont make a team. 

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

That is not an excuse the Sea hawks, Green bay, and Viking have a younger team and they are doing better

For one thing all three of those teams have all pro quarterbacks, runners and receivers. 

Comparing those teams to the Colts is apples and oranges. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For one thing all three of those teams have all pro quarterbacks, runners and receivers. 

Comparing those teams to the Colts is apples and oranges. 

Yeah but the excuse that we are a young team and inexperience is a weak argument.  It either comes down to coaching or players. Come one we lost to the freaking Dolphins  and the QB pick on Rock Ya Sin.

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Yeah but the excuse that we are a young team and inexperience is a weak argument.  It either comes down to coaching or players. Come one we lost to the freaking Dolphins  and the QB pick on Rock Ya Sin.

What you call excuses are what I call reasons. 

Maybe your point of view is bias? 

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Couple of weeks back, I watched Seahawks-49'ers.  Was disturbing to realize how far away the Colts are from being a legitimate contender.  Today's game reinforced that realization.

The Seahawks specifically are carried by elite QB play. 

Our defense is there. We do need to think about the future and a aging Dline. Probably another corner as Desir is getting older. 

Offense needs a entire makeover then we need to pray hard they can actually stay healthy. Eagles are having the same issues on offense we are having with injuries.

Its going to be tough to get the guy we want in the draft. It’s a crap shoot to have a QB you want when you pick. The more we lose though the easier it will be. Then you have to think to you want to waste this defense by starting a rookie or sitting them a year.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

They’re not going 4-0 in their next 4 games. 

I honestly had no idea that's what he was getting at when I answered him.

I see the colts next winning at the Jags, if the players haven't completely packed it in by then.

Yes it hurts but after the swearing, finger pointing, second guessing and throwing the remote at the TV I’m still a Colts fan!  I’ve been blue before many of you were born and I will always be blue!  I think many of you share my thoughts/sentiments.  Let’s not do anything irrational but keep The Blue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, alawai said:

Yes it hurts but after the swearing, finger pointing, second guessing and throwing the remote at the TV I’m still a Colts fan!  I’ve been blue before many of you were born and I will always be blue!  I think many of you share my thoughts/sentiments.  Let’s not do anything irrational but keep The Blue!

barack obama yes GIF by Obama

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alawai said:

Nothing any of us can do anyway, rational or irrational. Haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

The reality is that this team is very young and inexperienced. A generation QB retired this season

Ok.  I hate when. A term gets used so often that it completely loses its meaning.  Luck was not the best QB of his generation.  Of guys close to his age, or in his "generation" He's not head and shoulders above Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson, Derek Carr, Garroppolo, etc.... Just like when people say a player is prototypical..... That means he's the first of a kind, but everyone uses it to try and say someone matches the desired qualities of a position..... 

/End rant

• Thanks 1