Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turn out the lights for 2019

mirobi48

The lights been out bruh.  After the loss to Pittsburgh I knew then what was up with these Colts for this season.   Just too many key missing players and too many mistakes week after week to be a playoff team this year.  We honestly don’t deserve it this season.

Back to the drawing board. We need to find ourselves another franchise quarterback. Russell Wilson will hit free agency.  Perhaps Ballard needs to come off the money and get him.  Russell has accomplished more in his career than Luck and has proven that he can win a Super Bowl with a talented team around him.  This team is built to win right now.  No time to waste putting all our eggs on a rookie QB who may or may not pan out. 

• Like 3

Let's face it, we are not playoff material. Colts are working on 2020 Draft. Save the current players that have injuries for next year. We will rebuilt starting next year but one thing we will have in place is OL and DL and LBs. Coach and GM and coaching staff. Vinny will retire.  Looks very promising to a major contender. Next year will be our best shot. Like Ballard said, it will take 3 years. He was right.

21 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The lights been out bruh.  After the loss to Pittsburgh I knew then what was up with these Colts for this season.   Just too many key missing players and too many mistakes week after week to be a playoff team this year.  We honestly don’t deserve it this season.

Back to the drawing board. We need to find ourselves another franchise quarterback. Russell Wilson will hit free agency.  Perhaps Ballard needs to come off the money and get him.  Russell has accomplished more in his career than Luck and has proven that he can win a Super Bowl with a talented team around him.  This team is built to win right now.  No time to waste putting all our eggs on a rookie QB who may or may not pan out. 

Wilson signed a 4-year deal this past offseason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the post season, Colts fans!

Yeah, I'm sorry, but we're not making the playoffs this season.  In fact, I hate to have to say it, but I'm getting concerned whether we'll win another game.

So, what's the story this season?  Pretty easy.  When Andrew retired, we knew that our margin for victory was going to be a lot closer.  We weren't going to score as many points on offense.  We needed:

• Solid defensive play
  • A reliable kicking game to keep us close - and maybe win a few for us
  • Few injuries

And where are we?  Our entire starting skill position crew is out, as well as a few other folks in other positions.  We're playing with people who would normally be playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.  Our kicking game is oh so very much not reliable.  It's not totally Vinatieri's fault, but even so, with the way he has personally performed, if the jersey didn't say "Vinatieri" on it, the guy would have already been replaced.  But it's been more than him.  We allow a guy to go so untouched that he could have tackled Vinatieri before he had a chance to kick it.  And a different guy to penetrate so well that he was in position to catch it and run for a touchdown.  That play alone would cost a special teams coach his job.  But we have the added bonus of having not one, but two field goals blocked in the same game.

No, we are on the wrong side of the margin for victory.  If the injuries and such stay as they are, I have serious doubts as to whether or not we win another game.

Please note that I have not blamed Brissett.  I don't.  He is what we thought he was.  An excellent backup, and a decent starter.  He usually won't be the person who lost you the game, but he won't be the person who won it for you, either.  I don't blame Brissett.  I don't blame Ballard.  I don't blame Reich, or his play calling.  I blame the injuries primarily, and the unreliable kicking game second.

There's not much left we can do the rest of the season, but keep trying to win, and cross our fingers that our starters come back from injury.  Oh, and count the weeks until they finally call us mathematically out of the playoffs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Defense wise they are better than any team Luck faced. Offense wise not the same.

Maybe so but the Patriots could out score most all teams at that time.

Then add too many teams just handed games to them by playing scared. 

Add the fact the patriots have had the refs in their back pockets forever. 

They are still the most fined team in league history for cheating in one way or another. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

This wouldn't be near as bad had our HOF kicker not lost us three games. 

Totally understand where you're coming from, as the record wouldn't be as bad, but those wins would've been hollow anyway, in my opinion.  In some ways, with how the season has turned out, those losses are a blessing (yeah, it felt gross typing that, but I'm trying to be realistic now), as they have helped the Colts' draft positioning a little bit.

Because of all of the significant injuries to key players, and Brissett's consistently below average performances, this team was not a playoff team.  With Brissett as the starting QB, the Colts have scored fewer than 20 points in 14 games (out of 26 total starts). That's 53.8% of his starts.

That's not playoff-caliber QB play.  It's also not winning offensive football. 

On the positive side, I do think that for the vast majority of the season, the defense has played playoff-caliber defense.  I am excited about the future of that unit with all of the youth at LB (Walker, Leonard, Bobby O.), Kenny Moore, Willis, Turay, Ben B., and Hooker. 

Need an interior pass rusher and another CB, though.

I don't think the season was a TOTAL waste.  I mean Luck hid a lot of deficiencies.  With him gone the team was able to see where they need help and where they're OK.  The defense, for as young as it is, actually played fairly well most of the season.  I think they'll be fine there, but the DL is going to need some help.  Houston is your best DL and he aint getting any younger.  I'd like to see them add both a RG and RT.  Another TE would help so EE can walk.  But by FAR I think the biggest need is a WR......or two.  Then take the best kicker available somewhere after round 4.  And IMHO, I know some will disagree, but I don't think Jacoby is the long-term answer.  The team was sort of hamstrung this year with Luck's surprise retirement and the timing.  But I think they also know Jacoby is solid but is not going to get you to the promised land.  I think a guy like Tua can be had where the Colts will be drafting.  He may be as good as any other QB coming out, and there won't be much in FA.  Those are the positions I'd aid if I were in charge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Your'e spot on  "Bigponcho" Brissett definitely is not the answer for this team.  Hope Ballard is smart enough and draft a QB in the 1st round . 

I have no idea who the next QB will be. But it’s possible that, since we’re “out of (Andrew) LUCK, we’re  about to be saved by (Jordon) LOVE”. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856394-long-overlooked-utah-state-qb-jordan-love-cant-hide-from-stardom-anymore

On 12/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree 100 percent. look at the titans their proven qb may win it all for them, the draft pick qb did not develop for them. the texans traded away picks for proven starters, these two teams are not wasting seasons on slow developing draft picks. they are following the pats model by not wasting a season on draft picks and instead filling their rosters with proven elite talent. ballards method of relying on draft picks and cheap free agents will have a hard time staying with teams who put proven talent on the roster

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, jimmy g said:

I have no idea who the next QB will be. But it’s possible that, since we’re “out of (Andrew) LUCK, we’re  about to be saved by (Jordon) LOVE”. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856394-long-overlooked-utah-state-qb-jordan-love-cant-hide-from-stardom-anymore

love is an unproven draft pick , very iffy if we dont want to waste another season, imo ballard needs to bring in a proven above average qb.

49 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

love is an unproven draft pick , very iffy if we dont want to waste another season, imo ballard needs to bring in a proven above average qb.

Who is this "proven above average qb" who will be available in FA?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i think most people would say the titans got lucky with RT.  he looked average at best in miami, most would probably say he was below average there 

i think they will explore what you are saying but i dont see a lot of above average trade able QBs on the market 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

i agree there is no day one starting qb in this draft, how many seasons is ballard going to waste ? use the cap money so we dont waste another season

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Wilson just resigned with the Seahawks. If we build a around a young guy we will be fine. The chiefs and ravens are doing just fine. We have to get through  the 2020 season first. With added weapons and everyone staying healthy we will be fine with Jacoby next season.

i agree, we dont know how good he can be because we dont have elite receivers, even brady looks bad since most of his receivers are hurt

9 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i agree there is no day one starting qb in this draft, how many seasons is ballard going to waste ? use the cap money so we dont waste another season

With WR getting healthy next year and adding a weapon or two we will be fine with Jacoby another year. For everyone bashing him we have been in every game. It won’t take much improvement to be better next year even with Jacoby. We aren’t going to waste a season next year. Then the year after we start a new QB who has been sitting a year. That worked well for the ravens and chiefs.  You guys are being a little dramatic. 

6 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

maybe r. wilson if they dont win the sb or maybe rivers

What world do you live in? R Wilson isn't for sale Seattle isn't trading one of the best QBs in the NFL... Maybe would should ask about Mahomes too. :sarcasm:

Rivers has looked terrible this year... If the Chargers are getting rid of him why do we want him. The Chargers team is pretty good so it's not like they would be letting Rivers go because they are ready to blow it up and rebuild. The Colts team is younger than the Chargers so if they are willing to goto the draft for a QB that should give you second thoughts about taking the QB they are willing to let go.

Any other "proven above average QBs" you think we should make a play for? Those type guys rarely hit the market. Kirk Cousins is the only recent one I can think of off the top of my head, and I don't see any out there for this coming off season. The exception is old or big injury risk: which we don't want. 

That scarcity is why teams overpay in the draft for QBs every year even knowing the odds for him underperforming or busting is high. 

58 minutes ago, esmort said:

What world do you live in? R Wilson isn't for sale Seattle isn't trading one of the best QBs in the NFL... Maybe would should ask about Mahomes too. :sarcasm:

Rivers has looked terrible this year... If the Chargers are getting rid of him why do we want him. The Chargers team is pretty good so it's not like they would be letting Rivers go because they are ready to blow it up and rebuild. The Colts team is younger than the Chargers so if they are willing to goto the draft for a QB that should give you second thoughts about taking the QB they are willing to let go.

Any other "proven above average QBs" you think we should make a play for? Those type guys rarely hit the market. Kirk Cousins is the only recent one I can think of off the top of my head, and I don't see any out there for this coming off season. The exception is old or big injury risk: which we don't want. 

That scarcity is why teams overpay in the draft for QBs every year even knowing the odds for him underperforming or busting is high. 

rivers has thrown for 3400 yds this season, third best in the rankings , not to bad

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

With WR getting healthy next year and adding a weapon or two we will be fine with Jacoby another year. For everyone bashing him we have been in every game. It won’t take much improvement to be better next year even with Jacoby. We aren’t going to waste a season next year. Then the year after we start a new QB who has been sitting a year. That worked well for the ravens and chiefs.  You guys are being a little dramatic. 

We are last in deep passes this year. Do we even have 1 deep td pass