Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rules Question - Doyle incompletion

ColtsSouljah

So on the failed 3rd down conversion which sparked the disastrous kick that totally changed the game, I have a question.

Doyle did drop the ball but he was clearly interfered with. When Tenn challenged that it was incomplete, could the refs have ruled that it was P.I.? If not, could we have countered-challenged for P.I. when it was ruled incomplete?

That blown call really shows how a ref screw-up can totally change the game. Instead of us driving for a TD, we're demoralized by a blocked kick return for a TD.

20 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

So on the failed 3rd down conversion which sparked the disastrous kick that totally changed the game, I have a question.

Doyle did drop the ball but he was clearly interfered with. When Tenn challenged that it was incomplete, could the refs have ruled that it was P.I.? If not, could we have countered-challenged for P.I. when it was ruled incomplete?

That blown call really shows how a ref screw-up can totally change the game. Instead of us driving for a TD, we're demoralized by a blocked kick return for a TD.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but this is my understanding.  When you challenge a play (eg. challenging what was ruled a catch as being an incompletion), that's all the refs can review.  If there was holding on the pass during that play, that can't be reviewed.  The only thing they can review is if there's a completion or not.  So even if there are other aspects to the play that weren't called correctly, those can't be reviewed during a challenge.

9 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Not sure why this post was locked. Game was effectively over but anyways.

There needs to be better consistency on these calls.

3 minutes ago, Turftoe said:

IMO, it WAS pass interference.  At the same time, I'd bet if we challenged the refs would refuse to admit it.  And, yeah, what's with all the thread locking?

Forum policy is to lock any threads that are created during a game because it's usually just posts about what happens during the game, which should be done in the game day thread.  If it isn't like that, they'll be re-opened after the game to allow the discussion to take place, as is what happened here

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but this is my understanding.  When you challenge a play (eg. challenging what was ruled a catch as being an incompletion), that's all the refs can review.  If there was holding on the pass during that play, that can't be reviewed.  The only thing they can review is if there's a completion or not.  So even if there are other aspects to the play that weren't called correctly, those can't be reviewed during a challenge.

Forum policy is to lock any threads that are created during a game because it's usually just posts about what happens during the game, which should be done in the game day thread.  If it isn't like that, they'll be re-opened after the game to allow the discussion to take place, as is what happened here

May I request that the policy be revised? This post was tantamount to having a sidebar conversation in a very crowded room. It didn’t detract from the Gameday thread and participants could willingly post there during the game or take part after the game has concluded. Just a suggestion

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I could be wrong but I think once you challenge something you can review all aspects of the play pertaining to challenges.  Since PI is reviewable I think that would be covered by that.  

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

May I request that the policy be revised? This post was tantamount to having a sidebar conversation in a very crowded room. It didn’t detract from the Gameday thread and participants could willingly post there during the game or take part after the game has concluded. Just a suggestion

I understand what you're saying, but the post was re-opened for discussion after the game was over to allow the discussion to take place.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I could be wrong but I think once you challenge something you can review all aspects of the play pertaining to challenges.  Since PI is reviewable I think that would be covered by that.  

But wouldn't you have to state that when challenging?  The refs ask the coach what they want to challenge.  So, if I understand correctly, the order would have to be Tennessee challenges that there was no catch, then Indy would challenge that there was PI?  Not sure how it all works

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I understand what you're saying, but the post was re-opened for discussion after the game was over to allow the discussion to take place.

Fair enough

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

But wouldn't you have to state that when challenging?  The refs ask the coach what they want to challenge.  So, if I understand correctly, the order would have to be Tennessee challenges that there was no catch, then Indy would challenge that there was PI?  Not sure how it all works

If it wasn’t so much of a joke challenging PIs this year we prolly would’ve had a chance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yeah but it’s like when you challenge being short of a first down.  Say they spotted the ball wrong respotted it but you were still short you would win the challenge because the ball moved but you didn’t get the first down which is what you challenged.  I’ve seen that happen in Colts games before.  

In theory then Frank would have had as much right to turn around and challenge the PI call.  I don’t think the NFL wants two reviews on the same call.  Again I could be wrong.  I am no expert on the NFL replay rules but I think I’ve heard the former officials say all aspects subject to review are reviewed on reviews before.

13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

That does make sense; I do still wonder if we could have then challenged that it was P.I.