Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great story on Jonathon Williams

Restinpeacesweetchloe

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t follow college football so I didn’t realize how good he was in college. I wonder if we will be able to re sign him. He might get his chance to be the feature back on another team. He might cost to much especially with Mack maybe getting a extension in the off season.

Nice article. I read that and then looked up his stats at Arkansas. This poor guy really did get 4 years of  and bad breaks. Some of that was some pretty nasty stuff by the Bills and Saints.

Looks to be an UFA after this season. He should get a nice little deal if he stays healthy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Calmack said:

He isn't going to cost that much honestly...and with our cap space, it all depends if we want to keep him or not.

The point is he is showing he can be a number one back. Not sure why he would stay here behind Mack. He will defintly get more as a featured back then the number two behind Mack. If we are able to keep him that will be great for us. He is a good compliment to mack. Much more physical.

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The point is he is showing he can be a number one back. Not sure why he would stay here behind Mack. He will defintly get more as a featured back then the number two behind Mack. If we are able to keep him that will be great for us. He is a good compliment to mack. Much more physical.

Sigh. I hate being devil's advocate. 

He's played 2 games behind a top offensive line. Lets wait a bit before we claim he's shown he can be a number 1 back. He has definitely looked good, but the sample size is far too small. 

• Thanks 1

He is a great change of pace back and both he and Wilkins compliment Mack very well. 

Mack is much more patient as he waits for his blocking and a little crease to run thru.

Wilkins/Williams hit the hole with a sense of urgency and while Wilkins is a one-cut and go back Williams tries to create his own crease.

Since we're on topic of his background with the Bills and Saints where they were typically two-deep with stars lets give Ballard and the scouting staff kudos for seeing the talent, scooping him up last year and then giving him his opportunity to shine. 

9 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Sigh. I hate being devil's advocate. 

He's played 2 games behind a top offensive line. Lets wait a bit before we claim he's shown he can be a number 1 back. He has definitely looked good, but the sample size is far too small. 

Your probably right. If we are able to keep him Mack will certainly get a extension since Williams will probably get more then what Mack is making.

44 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

He ha proven more than Wilkins. Keep him over Wilkins. Either Wilkins is injured or somewhat effective. Cant keep a guy based on what ifs.

We can keep both. Wilkins is still on his rookie deal. 

I was really impressed how Hines ran the ball last week. We don’t usually see him run the ball that well. I think he had 51 yards rushing.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

He is a great change of pace back and both he and Wilkins compliment Mack very well. 

Mack is much more patient as he waits for his blocking and a little crease to run thru.

Wilkins/Williams hit the hole with a sense of urgency and while Wilkins is a one-cut and go back Williams tries to create his own crease.

Since we're on topic of his background with the Bills and Saints where they were typically two-deep with stars lets give Ballard and the scouting staff kudos for seeing the talent, scooping him up last year and then giving him his opportunity to shine. 

IMO Williams hits the hole stronger, Wilkins is more of the dancer (wink wink patient) RB. I would not call Wilkins a one cut back, but he does have one cut ability. Williams has show good physicality thus far, while Wilkins is an easy tackle. 

If I'm rotating, I'd use Williams far more between the Ts and on man blocking schemes, and Wilkins on edge and zone blocking schemes. Both are good at different things IMO. I'm guessing Reich see the same and is why we're seeing more Williams than Wilkins. Like them both, and think they create a well rounded RB unit with Mack. 

31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO Williams hits the hole stronger, Wilkins is more of the dancer (wink wink patient) RB. I would not call Wilkins a one cut back, but he does have one cut ability. Williams has show good physicality thus far, while Wilkins is an easy tackle. 

If I'm rotating, I'd use Williams far more between the Ts and on man blocking schemes, and Wilkins on edge and zone blocking schemes. Both are good at different things IMO. I'm guessing Reich see the same and is why we're seeing more Williams than Wilkins. Like them both, and think they create a well rounded RB unit with Mack. 

We will probably see more Wilkins Sunday. Reich said with him coming off the injury and Mack being hurt he didn’t want to use him much against the Texans.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We can keep both. Wilkins is still on his rookie deal. 

I was really impressed how Hines ran the ball last week. We don’t usually see him run the ball that well. I think he had 51 yards rushing.

Hines is working on what he should be...a return man....and Rogers is headed out the door.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We will probably see more Wilkins Sunday. Reich said with him coming off the injury and Mack being hurt he didn’t want to use him much against the Texans.

I'd be surprised if Williams didn't get the most snaps as long as Mack is out. I think we'll see increased time for Wilkins (but less total snaps than Williams), and less of Hines on traditional running downs. I do think we might see a lot of Hines in the passing game this week though.

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has showed us for 2 games. I’m not calling him a featured back for anyone’s team yet. Certainly has been nice to see happen for us here but there have been guys on other teams make as big of a short version impact and not get signed elsewhere to crazy starter money. I hope he works out for us, hope he stays and produces but he isn’t all of a sudden going to take over the league. 

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we see more Wilkins than Williams, Reich has officially lost his objective mind and is doing what so many other failed coaches have done. That’s, he will be giving tenure time over production time and that’s not a good winning strategy. 

14 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Hines is working on what he should be...a return man....and Rogers is headed out the door.

Hines should be more involved in the passing game. However, cutting Rogers right now, what other WR are we employing? When you don’t have DF, EE, TY or PC, who gets to catch the ball? Maybe Hines can be a WR for a few games and we dress him that way idk. 

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Could you name (IYO) some of the teams that he would so instantly be their #1 back.
Please don't try.

28 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

He has showed us for 2 games. I’m not calling him a featured back for anyone’s team yet. Certainly has been nice to see happen for us here but there have been guys on other teams make as big of a short version impact and not get signed elsewhere to crazy starter money. I hope he works out for us, hope he stays and produces but he isn’t all of a sudden going to take over the league. 

If we see more Wilkins than Williams, Reich has officially lost his objective mind and is doing what so many other failed coaches have done. That’s, he will be giving tenure time over production time and that’s not a good winning strategy. 

Hines should be more involved in the passing game. However, cutting Rogers right now, what other WR are we employing? When you don’t have DF, EE, TY or PC, who gets to catch the ball? Maybe Hines can be a WR for a few games and we dress him that way idk. 

I meant next year. Clearly was not talking about cutting him right now. That would be dumb.

Also never said Wilkins would get more carried then Wilkins. But we might see more of a split or Wilkins get a lot more carries. Williams will still be the number one back.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I meant next year. Clearly was not talking about cutting him right now. That would be dumb.

Also never said Wilkins would get more carried then Wilkins. But we might see more of a split or Wilkins get a lot more carries. Williams will still be the number one back.

Makes more sense and it would have been pretty stupid but it wasn’t clear that you meant for next year. Tbh, I’d assume we will see Hines, Wilkins and Hines splitting the ball. Would like to see some sets with Williams and Hines in together with Hines running out wide. Could also run a similar set with Wilkins and Hines in but letting Hines run behind Wilkins. Change things up. 

Williams hasn't earned a big contract from anyone yet. But the Colts would be smart to try to sign him to a friendly contract right now; you never know when Mack will suffer his latest injury and I like Williams as the next best RB. 2 years $4 million? If he has another good game, that wouldn't bother me in the least. 

21 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Williams hasn't earned a big contract from anyone yet. But the Colts would be smart to try to sign him to a friendly contract right now; you never know when Mack will suffer his latest injury and I like Williams as the next best RB. 2 years $4 million? If he has another good game, that wouldn't bother me in the least. 

One thing we would have to do if we did that is Mack would have to be given extension. He isn’t  even making half that.

On 11/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Because there really aren't any #1 rbs in the NFL anymore.  Heck, Mack has proven he can't carry the load of one anymore than he's been able to up to this point.  If they want Williams, they'll have every chance to keep him.  Why would someone who's faced that many obstacles leave the place he's finally established himself?  I see your point of view, I guess I just feel more inclined to believe Ballard and Williams are pretty similar in their view of Williams talent and spot on the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Because there really aren't any #1 rbs in the NFL anymore.  Heck, Mack has proven he can't carry the load of one anymore than he's been able to up to this point. If they want Williams, they'll have every chance to keep him.  Why would someone who's faced that many obstacles leave the place he's finally established himself?  I see your point of view, I guess I just feel more inclined to believe Ballard and Williams are pretty similar in their view of Williams talent and spot on the team.

I am so sick of hearing this (not just you, btw). Mack didn't wear down his hand from too many carries... his broken hand was from stiff arming someone and not even being tackled.

Breaking your hand isn't an injury from too much work.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

One thing we would have to do if we did that is Mack would have to be given extension. He isn’t  even making half that.

Mack will get his if he stays healthy. But my point was, Williams is a free agent; Mack isn't. And if they want to keep Williams as the primary backup/potential starter, give him an early,  fair offer that a veteran journeyman will have a hard time turning down. 

11 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Mack will get his if he stays healthy. But my point was, Williams is a free agent; Mack isn't. And if they want to keep Williams as the primary backup/potential starter, give him an early,  fair offer that a veteran journeyman will have a hard time turning down. 

I don’t think there is anyway Mack is going into the season  making 700k as the primary back while paying Williams that much. I actually expect Mack to get extended this off  season. The hand thing was just one of those freak injuries. Isn’t like if he had kept pulling a hamstring or had a bunch of muscle injuries.

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think there is anyway Mack is going into the season  making 700k as the primary back while paying Williams that much. I actually expect Mack to get extended this off  season. The hand thing was just one of those freak injuries. Isn’t like if he had kept pulling a hamstring or had a bunch of muscle injuries.

This.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 10:48 AM, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t follow college football so I didn’t realize how good he was in college. I wonder if we will be able to re sign him. He might get his chance to be the feature back on another team. He might cost to much especially with Mack maybe getting a extension in the off season.

I doubt Mack gets extension. He is injured far to often. I also think the philosophy of this team is running back by committe.

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Because there really aren't any #1 rbs in the NFL anymore.  Heck, Mack has proven he can't carry the load of one anymore than he's been able to up to this point.  If they want Williams, they'll have every chance to keep him.  Why would someone who's faced that many obstacles leave the place he's finally established himself?  I see your point of view, I guess I just feel more inclined to believe Ballard and Williams are pretty similar in their view of Williams talent and spot on the team.

You are ready to write Mack off for a hand injury? :loco: