Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where has the Read Option Gone

Tombstone

Haven't seen it at all with JB at the helm.  The Luck thing kind of hand cuffed the play calling I guess for JB kind of style

( play action only passing attack) and then again it's past the half way point of the season.  Does it take training camp time to practice it.  Maybe we will see it next year?

I don't know if Read Option is like the Stretch Play that the Colts ran in the early Manning years, where every play started out looking exactly the same, and then could morph into either run or pass depending on how the defense reacted.  But I do know that the Stretch Play leads to the outside.  And that's something that I have seen us do badly at all year.  We can't seem to run to the outside.  We run well between the tackles.  Outside?  Not so much.  So, our play action passing is predicated on faking a run through the middle.  And we build our offense around that.

Maybe I'm way off base here, in my attempt to address your question.  But that's what I'm seeing, anyway.

It is all about the knees, and right now, JB's knees are probably not in the best of shape to do it in a nimble way. Remember, Peyton, towards his last few years?? They started doing handoffs off shotgun formations due to his physical limitations, if I remember right.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is all about the knees, and right now, JB's knees are probably not in the best of shape to do it in a nimble way. Remember, Peyton, towards his last few years?? They started doing handoffs off shotgun formations due to his physical limitations, if I remember right.

A hobbled JB is still 10X faster than PM was in his prime. I’ve never seen a slower guy on the field with the ball in his hand than Peyton lol. 

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

What I'd like to know is have we run any slants this year?  Saw them all the time with Luck.

I don't think we run the slants with JB much at all. 

It has become more and more apparent as the season has progressed that Jacoby has real limitations as a passer. The offense has done a 360 with him. Slants are gone, TE usage is down, quick passing game is gone, Hines production is down, downfield passing is nonexistent (heard on a podcast the Colts have like one completion for 20+ yards), etc...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Targets 20+ yards downfield, JB is 9/28, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 267 yards.

Thanks for the correction!!

Ouch though on those stats. Not hard to see why we have the 28th ranked passing offense. That’s bottom 5 in the league. Even Miami is ahead of us :fear:

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 10:33 AM, krunk said:

What I'd like to know is have we run any slants this year?  Saw them all the time with Luck.

It has to be something of he is solid at hitting a target, not one that’s moving though. I’d have to think that CB will find the guy to move ahead with because I think a large part of colts nation and the media is pretty sure that JB isn’t good enough to get us where we need to be. Going to be a louder voice each week to at least look at Kelly and see what his live skill sets are, not preseason but one where the other teams win or loss makes a difference to them. Kelly may be worse than JB but I think we at least need to explore him in a real game because we aren’t heading to the playoffs playing like we are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:54 AM, John Hammonds said:

I don't know if Read Option is like the Stretch Play that the Colts ran in the early Manning years, where every play started out looking exactly the same, and then could morph into either run or pass depending on how the defense reacted.  But I do know that the Stretch Play leads to the outside.  And that's something that I have seen us do badly at all year.  We can't seem to run to the outside.  We run well between the tackles.  Outside?  Not so much.  So, our play action passing is predicated on faking a run through the middle.  And we build our offense around that.

Maybe I'm way off base here, in my attempt to address your question.  But that's what I'm seeing, anyway.

The stretch play has been mostly horrible 

44 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Why would you run pass plays that your QB can't throw with any consistency?

If you havent seen those thrws at 

All then you may or may not be right. Hes got the arm talent. Needs to actually make the throw and take the risk.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:20 AM, Defjamz26 said:

He’s run it before, but it’s not something you want to call a bunch with Jacoby at the helm. Even with a fully healed knee, he’s not particularly fast.

When Andrew Luck was running it he hardly ever took of with the ball.  He had reads on the Lbers if Im not mistaken.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:47 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Ouch though on those stats. Not hard to see why we have the 28th ranked passing offense. That’s bottom 5 in the league. Even Miami is ahead of us :fear:

You have to go back to the Denver game for JB's last completion more than 20 yards downfield, so maybe that's the stat you heard. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 10:33 AM, krunk said:

I think we ran two with Hines during the HOU game that looked like they would have gone for good yardage.  JB missed both of those throws.  It was unlike him to be inaccurate so often with the short passes, but he was during HOU.

I don't know if they were slants per se, but Hines was angling towards the middle in space.

On 11/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick can make plays.  Always has.  His downfall has been poor decision making followed by interceptions.