Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rank These Quarterbacks

bhougland

If one is going by just this year than it would go:

1. Watson

2. Brissett

3. Tannehill

4. Foles

-Foles has been injured all season and has played in only 3 games in which the Jags are 0-3 and he played bad in all 3 games. Foles is easily last this season. Lets not get carried away with Tannehill. He and his team blew out the Jags but so did we, he and his team beat KC but so did we at KC in primetime. Too many people in here have a knee jerk reaction based on each Sunday and when we lose the earth is coming to end for some in here :funny:. Tannehill looked great last week so all of the sudden he is better than JB, comical. We will find out Sunday what happens.

1.) Watson- Possible Top 5 QB

2.) Foles- Eagles Foles

3.) Brissett- Hasn’t shown much this year. He could easily be top 15 QB in league but I’m not sure what’s going on with him.

4.) Tannehill- Atleast he is giving the Titans a chance.

• Like 1

1. Tannehill - 7 games, 111-154, 72.1%, 10 TD 4 INT, 111.4 Rating

2. Watson - 11 games, 249-361, 69.0%, 20 TD 7 INT, 103.4 Rating

3. Brissett - 10 games, 184-285, 64.6%, 15 TD 4 INT, 95.7 Rating

4. Minshew - 9 games, 188-307, 61.2%, 13 TD 4 INT, 92.8 Rating

5. Mariota - 6 games, 94-159, 59.1%, 7 TD 2 INT, 91.7 Rating

6. Foles - 3 games, 70-103, 70.0%, 3 TD 1 INT, 90.4 Rating

What's amazing is not the ranking, but just how close they are.  And you can see why Mariota was benched for Tannehill.  And how Brissett really isn't all that much better than the guys underneath him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

What's amazing is not the ranking, but just how close they are.  And you can see why Mariota was benched for Tannehill.  And how Brissett really isn't all that much better than the guys underneath him.

I think average yards a game and depth of target need to be factored in, and this is why I have Brissett at the bottom.  If you look at all the numbers he is eerily similar to Mariota, except Mariota is better at running.  So, I would put him below MM as well 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MPStack said:

1. Watson

2. Foles

3. Tannehill 

4. Minshew

5. Mariota 

6. Brissett 

You might be kidding, but I actually don't disagree with this too much.  I need to see Foles healthy again.  Also, Brissett and Mariota are a toss up in my book.

• Like 2

1. Watson: Dude got kicked in the face and still delivered a touchdown. 

2. Tannehill: His history is checkered but as of today he has the hot hand. Strength (possibly lack thereof) of schedule could be an argument, but he is showing some serious poise at the moment. 

3. Minshew: Has playmaking abilities and was starting to get decently comfortable reading blitzes before Foles took over. I wonder if we’ll see him again before the season ends?

4. Brissett: He’s middle of the pack. He was doing fairly well in the red zone, but lately he’s been more off compared to earlier in the season. We’re a run heavy team so his yardage isn’t what to look for (see: Lamar Jackson). Perhaps injuries are nagging a little too much.

5. Foles: Returning from a serious injury, he’s had to shake off a lot of rust. He’ll have a spark here and there, but more often than not the last two games he has put his team in rough situations and too deep of holes.

6. Mariota: Constant changes in offensive schemes have not helped him develop. It could be argued he has had to spend more time learning the ever changing playbook than fixating on ironing out his weaknesses. In addition, poor offensive line play and his own indecision have killed his ability to stay consistently healthy. Luckily for him, a lot of teams will be looking for a QB next year. Can he be a starter again?

19 minutes ago, bhougland said:

You might be kidding, but I actually don't disagree with this too much.  I need to see Foles healthy again.  Also, Brissett and Mariota are a toss up in my book.

I was 100% serious. There are 5 other QB’s in the division, I’d take over Brissett. 

• Like 1

You guys. Eed to start listening to JMV, Dan Dakich, and Kevin Bowen. 

JMV has Rick Venturi on every monday and he does a great job of breaking down the Colts games. 

Kevin Bowen is great at talking Colts football in pretty good depth. 

If I remember correctly, Dan has Holder interviews that are insightful... 

Am I the only fan who scours the internet for Colts talk? They do a good job of giving you a better picture of this Colts team. The sky isnt always falling... and the colts problems are usually less than a lot of fans like to make it seem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

I was 100% serious. There are 5 other QB’s in the division, I’d take over Brissett. 

There is really only one QB in the division that is better than Brissett and that is Watson, JMO. Philly Foles was better, Jags Foles nah. Tannehill is 46-47 in his career and has been very inconsistent in reality so nah, as that is a gigantic sample size. Mariotta is also a nah. Minshew has a beautiful mustache but nah.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is really only one QB in the division that is better than Brissett and that is Watson, JMO. Philly Foles was better, Jags Foles nah. Tannehill is 46-47 in his career and has been very inconsistent in reality so nah, as that is a gigantic sample size. Mariotta is also a nah. Minshew has a beautiful mustache but nah.

Foles is coming off injury. To early to judge.

Tannehill..... Put JB on those Miami teams and tell me how he'd do.

Titans have a bottom 5 OL, and have for a while. Put JB's high time to throw on Mariotta's teams over the years..... 

Minshew has shown as much as JB, and it's his first year.... 

• Thanks 1

So, our QB is middle of the pack (league wide) at best. Is anyone surprised at this? Why the need to drag the guy through the dirt. And don't blame the management. They didn't have many creditable options. The Luck thing was a punch in the gut, and we will recover from it eventually.....it's just how it is. Do we always need a scapegoat?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

So, our QB is middle of the pack (league wide) at best. Is anyone surprised at this? Why the need to drag the guy through the dirt. And don't blame the management. They didn't have many creditable options. The Luck thing was a punch in the gut, and we will recover from it eventually.....it's just how it is. Do we always need a scapegoat?

I agree, around here JB has become the kicking scapegoat big time. Lets just blame him for everything when he got thrown into a fire to begin with. It is really not fair. Then some in here do not want to give him a chance when the guy has played 9 games in this system in which he is 6-3. Some just have 0 patience and are spoiled thinking QB's like Peyton and Luck grow on trees. Nobody thought we would be 6-5 right now and still in the playoff hunt after Luck retired. These tireless insults toward JB from many is making this site look bad. Sorry to say that but it is. Insults = never will be a franchise QB, he is below average, he sucks, team is doomed with JB for the future = takes from many. Nice to know some know this after a small sample size. 

Not everybody is blaming Brissett for all the losses. It's pretty amazing how there have different factors in so many games. Veniteri, the oline has had 2 bad games, the defensive game plan against Houston was mind numbing(3 man pass rush????) Ebron's dropped passes against Oakland(I lost count and a lot of them were on 3rd down). The list goes on and on. But the qb decision making and play has to considered also. We are still alive, we are not done yet.

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

You guys. Eed to start listening to JMV, Dan Dakich, and Kevin Bowen. 

JMV has Rick Venturi on every monday and he does a great job of breaking down the Colts games. 

Kevin Bowen is great at talking Colts football in pretty good depth. 

If I remember correctly, Dan has Holder interviews that are insightful... 

Am I the only fan who scours the internet for Colts talk? They do a good job of giving you a better picture of this Colts team. The sky isnt always falling... and the colts problems are usually less than a lot of fans like to make it seem. 

I also listen to podcast and the such from all that you mentioned, but I am not sure how that relates to the topic.

All we are doing is simply rating the QBs in our division.

I really want to understand why people may have him as one of the best QBs in the division because I don't see it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I also listen to podcast and the such from all that you mentioned, but I am not sure how that relates to the topic.

I really want to understand why people may have him as one of the best QBs in the division because I don't see it.

Tis thread is not simply rating the QB's in our division. The subtext is obvious. Like kind of a polite whinge, unfurled to gather fellow posters support. Well, that's how it reads to me. perhaps your initial intentions have been hijacked by the boo boys.

8 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Tis thread is not simply rating the QB's in our division. The subtext is obvious. Like kind of a polite whinge, unfurled to gather fellow posters support. Well, that's how it reads to me. perhaps your initial intentions have been hijacked by the boo boys.

I really don't care about support on a forum.  For better or worse, we have no influence on the direction the organization takes at the QB position.

I do, however, want those with the most blue tinted glasses to state their case as to WHY they think he is good to great.  Most of the conversation I have seen so far talks about wins or how Frank won't let him throw deep.  I don't buy either argument.

Lastly, this is the type of thing people discuss on a sports forum.  For many reasons I was critical of Pagano and now it seems Jacoby; the reason is because I feel like I can spot a dead end when I see one. I hope I am wrong.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I’d like to see the comparisons of the Troy Aikmen ratings, he seems to add in more factors than just the pure numbers. 

having these discussions about if JB is better or worse than this group of QB’s (minus Watson) makes you appreciate what we had from Manning over his entire career. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I really don't care about support on a forum.  For better or worse, we have no influence on the direction the organization takes at the QB position.

I do, however, want those with the most blue tinted glasses to state their case as to WHY they think he is good to great.  Most of the conversation I have seen so far talks about wins or how Frank won't let him throw deep.  I don't buy either argument.

Lastly, this is the type of thing people discuss on a sports forum.  For many reasons I was critical of Pagano and now it seems Jacoby; the reason is because I feel like I can spot a dead end when I see one. I hope I am wrong.

To be fair, both of those have truth to them.   When the team is winning, fans are more likely to accept his flaws.  

I don't think Reich holds him back totally.   I do think he goes conservative when he wouldn't if he trusted Brissett.  I'm still baffled by the lack of play action.   

Watson is clearly the best QB in the division.

I put Tannehill 2nd.  I had to do a little research on him first.  Honestly, I haven't seen him play much.  Miami wasn't televised in Fort Wayne area much in the past 6 years or so.   The few times I did see him play, he looked pretty good.   Looking at his stats, they are better than I expected on a poor Miami team.  

image.png.a65cf8bbcb2315150fed332fadcafd24.png

3rd was tough for me.  Foles has been so "hit and miss" in his career.  I went with Foles because the ceiling is so much higher.   I think the floor is lower with him too.   

1 hour ago, bhougland said:

Mostly in response to the uninformed posters. Its just readily available information for people who currently are freaking out about this organization. 

As for the actual thread: Brissett isnt better than Watson, or even Tanny. Foles has the better skills as a passer as well... 

JB has all 3 beat when it comes to leadership.. I would take any 3 of those guys passing abilities over JBs. But I wouldnt feel great with any of these guys as my franchise with the exception of Watson who still hasn't proven he can do it in the playoffs yet. 

59 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

JB has all 3 beat when it comes to leadership.. I would take any 3 of those guys passing abilities over JBs. But I wouldnt feel great with any of these guys as my franchise with the exception of Watson who still hasn't proven he can do it in the playoffs yet. 

How does JB beat the QBs in leadership?

What separates him from those QBs in the leadership category?

Has JB got up and stated , I need to play better? If he has, I missed it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If one is going by just this year than it would go:

1. Watson

2. Brissett

3. Tannehill

4. Foles

-Foles has been injured all season and has played in only 3 games in which the Jags are 0-3 and he played bad in all 3 games. Foles is easily last this season. Lets not get carried away with Tannehill. He and his team blew out the Jags but so did we, he and his team beat KC but so did we at KC in primetime. Too many people in here have a knee jerk reaction based on each Sunday and when we lose the earth is coming to end for some in here :funny:. Tannehill looked great last week so all of the sudden he is better than JB, comical. We will find out Sunday what happens.

No way JB is ahead of Tannehilll...it we are just going by this year. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MPStack said:

How does JB beat the QBs in leadership?

What separates him from those QBs in the leadership category?

Has JB got up and stated , I need to play better? If he has, I missed it. 

If you watch these guys throughout their careers, along with Foles particularly with the Jags is showing almost zero leadership. Leadership isnt about taking the blame or admitting he needs to play better to the likes of the media, I  which case, I have heard him say that, so yeah, you did miss it. 

The large exception would be Watson, who is still learning and can be great. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

If you watch these guys throughout their careers, along with Foles particularly with the Jags is showing almost zero leadership.

How? Why?

Leadership isnt about taking the blame or admitting he needs to play better to the likes of the media,

I respect anyone, who says I let or let the team down.  I guess that’s just me, because I’m active military. 

I  which case, I have heard him say that, so yeah, you did miss it. 

Like I said, I missed it, but will take your word.

So, what separates JB from those in Leadership????

35 minutes ago, MPStack said:

How? Why?

I respect anyone, who says I let or let the team down.  I guess that’s just me, because I’m active military. 

Check out this old article from his days at NC State.  It looks like he doesn't really accept much blame, and the way he speaks to the media is identical to today.  In fact, the whole article reads like it could have been written yesterday.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article39348033.html

The coach doesn't completely fall on the sword for him. Here is an excerpt:

With a week off to fix some problems and get back on track, the biggest question for N.C. State is: What’s wrong with Brissett?

“What’s wrong with me?” Brissett asked. “As far as what?”

Brissett’s not playing dumb, or being coy; he just has a different view of N.C. State’s slow ACC start. When the offense works, as it did in the first four games of the season, it’s a collaborative effort, and when it doesn’t, it’s a “we” problem, not a “me” problem.

“We just have to make those plays,” Brissett said. “That’s pretty much what it is, making those plays at the most crucial time of the game.”

Production is a team issue, said N.C. State offensive coordinator Matt Canada, who repeatedly deflected questions about Brissett.

“What’s wrong with the offense is me,” Canada said. “It falls on me.”

Canada also echoed Brissett’s pronoun use of “we” when talking about the problems on offense.

“We need to play better,” Canada said. “It’s everybody. There’s a million things that you can sit and look at: Was it this? Was it that? Was it whoever?

Jacoby certainly has some of that, but we all do. Everybody has to play better. The results have to change for us to win games.”

• Thanks 1

Certainly we're not trying to quantify "Leadership" like it's a stat in Madden.  Right?  Besides, at the end of the day, whether a QB is a "75 Leadership" rating or whatever, the better he plays over time, the more "Leadership" he will accrue.

This is a stupid conversation, by the way.  Just so you know that....

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Certainly we're not trying to quantify "Leadership" like it's a stat in Madden.  Right?  Besides, at the end of the day, whether a QB is a "75 Leadership" rating or whatever, the better he plays over time, the more "Leadership" he will accrue.

This is a stupid conversation, by the way.  Just so you know that....

What’s Brissett’s Leadership rating?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

How? Why?

It is pure and simple my opinion.