Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chloe6124

Salary Cap next year

Recommended Posts

Don’t know who pending FA are but maybe Ballard does a little more next year. Adding a couple more pieces could really put us over the top.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think they have to by rule spend a certain amount in 2020.

Yes. I think they can only carry over like 20%. Going to be a interesting off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think they have to by rule spend a certain amount in 2020.


That is correct. I shared the Colts FA link for 2020. So, the Colts will probably prioritize Castonzo and a few others there, but the Colts will still be healthy with CAP space. R. Kelly will be a FA in 2021. 
 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/indianapolis-colts/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don’t know who pending FA are but maybe Ballard does a little more next year. Adding a couple more pieces could really put us over the top.

 

 

This is an extremely useful site: 

2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents

 

I know it's going to trigger the "you don't know Chris Ballard" responses, but Amari Cooper is still on track to be a free agent, and Dallas still hasn't completed a deal for Dak. Yes he's gonna cost at least $22m a year, but going for bargains at receiver has hurt the passing game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think they have to by rule spend a certain amount in 2020.

 

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes. I think they can only carry over like 20%. Going to be a interesting off season.

They have to spend 90 percent of the cap over a 4 year period that ends in 2020. He is gonna HAVE to spend or lose it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ColtV said:

This is an extremely useful site: 

2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents

 

I know it's going to trigger the "you don't know Chris Ballard" responses, but Amari Cooper is still on track to be a free agent, and Dallas still hasn't completed a deal for Dak. Yes he's gonna cost at least $22m a year, but going for bargains at receiver has hurt the passing game. 

 

I think Andrew Luck retiring and injuries have hurt the passing game.

 

Devin Funchess was one of the highest paid free agent wide receivers last spring. He has played in one game this year. He was supposed to be their number two wide receiver.

 

There was hope, at least I did, that one of Daurice Fountain or Deion Cain would be a steady contributor at receiver this year. One is injured the entire year and the other was cut.

 

Another important player to the receivers, 2rd round pick Paris Campbell, has missed almost half the season.

 

The #1 receiver, TY Hilton, has missed 4 games.

 

Also, we shouldn't forget about Jacoby's injury and the brace he is playing with. Most of us would hate walking around the block with the brace he played with on Thursday let alone play a football game.

 

Every team in the league is going to have a rough time with their passing game if the above happened to them.

 

I think the Colts need to sign a veteran receiver (or bring Funchess back) but not necessarily the top receiver. I also think it would be good to draft one but around round 3 and not round 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team isn’t going anywhere with the QB play now.

 

However the Colts have the chance to grab some good players at important positions to improve this team. Ballard will most likely spend it on re-signing his own guys though.

 

Future is still bright for the Colts. Have good draft capital and plenty of money to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ar7 said:

 

I think Andrew Luck retiring and injuries have hurt the passing game.

 

Another important player to the receivers, 2rd round pick Paris Campbell, has missed almost half the season.

 

The #1 receiver, TY Hilton, has missed 4 games.

 

Also, we shouldn't forget about Jacoby's injury and the brace he is playing with. Most of us would hate walking around the block with the brace he played with on Thursday let alone play a football game.

 

Every team in the league is going to have a rough time with their passing game if the above happened to them.

 

 

I certainly concur, the Luck retirement and injuries have definitely had an impact, but even coming into this season I believed we were in trouble at receiver.  Funchess, Rogers, Doyle, and Ebron are all unrestricted free agents, and imo there needs to be another target to truly take the pressure off of TY. And there may not be another time when a 3 time pro bowl receiver who will only be 26 next year becomes available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

 

They have to spend 90 percent of the cap over a 4 year period that ends in 2020. He is gonna HAVE to spend or lose it

Does the difference go to the players ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty curious to see what if anything is done with the QB situation this off season. I like JB a lot. I do. But I just don’t think he can elevate us and perform at a high and needed level. I know the offense has been gimped lately, but the running game has been picking up the slack. Thursday it was obvious. Even when Texans were playing to stop the run, we still couldn’t throw the ball downfield. Hilton dropping two key 3rd down conversions hurt us too. This is why I’m not entirely throwing all my shade at JB. We just need a better QB that can push the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Does the difference go to the players ?

Only the amount under the 90% I believe. So if they only spend 80% then 10% goes to the players. Some one can correct be if that is wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't matter if the most important position on the field isn't addressed. Either Jacoby starts playing better or find his replacement. I'm not saying Jacoby has to give us a 300 yard game every week. 260 yards and two to three touchdowns I'll be satisfied with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don’t know who pending FA are but maybe Ballard does a little more next year. Adding a couple more pieces could really put us over the top.

 

 

Keep in mind we’ll have to resign some guys which will eat away at some of that. I think Ballard will resign Doyle and Castonzo for sure, maybe Ebron and Funchess too. I can’t remember who else is up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B~Town said:

Does the difference go to the players ?

That is my understanding. They take the difference and start giving it to the players until the 90 percent is reached. It’s divided 53 equal ways I believe 

20 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

is it a good free agent class coming up?

 

Too early to tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

is it a good free agent class coming up?

 


I thought last year was terrible, 2020 looks worse IMO. However, to early. 
 

If I went after one specific player, probably M. Collins DT from Dallas. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, colts52761 said:

is it a good free agent class coming up?

 

 nope, not really.  colts will need to sign AC and decide what to do with ebron and doyle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FA isn’t the only way to “buy” talent. Teams seem more willing than ever to trade proven talent for picks. If an opportunity presents itself...where a proven talent is set to get paid (or already under a big contract)...I would love to see Ballard flex his cap space and take advantage. I am not talking about shelling out multiple 1st round picks...but I don’t think a Day Two pick would be off the table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think they have to by rule spend a certain amount in 2020.

 

 

 

 

 

 

every year...

depends on the math year to year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Keep in mind we’ll have to resign some guys which will eat away at some of that. I think Ballard will resign Doyle and Castonzo for sure, maybe Ebron and Funchess too. I can’t remember who else is up

I’m not real sure about EE, his salary requests will be a large factor as he hasn’t produced well in 2019, be it his hands or his QB, he hasn’t lived up to a large enough for his ego contract imho. 
 

the first I’d agree with and Funchess is a huge question mark too. Can you resign a guy who has been broken all season and getting huge money to boot? Idk what his worth would be and can JB showcase him if he comes back to warrant another big payday? Huge questions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think they have to by rule spend a certain amount in 2020.

True the way teams find a loophole in that is resigning their own guys. Doesn't have to be in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’m not real sure about EE, his salary requests will be a large factor as he hasn’t produced well in 2019, be it his hands or his QB, he hasn’t lived up to a large enough for his ego contract imho. 
 

the first I’d agree with and Funchess is a huge question mark too. Can you resign a guy who has been broken all season and getting huge money to boot? Idk what his worth would be and can JB showcase him if he comes back to warrant another big payday? Huge questions 

I'd expect Funch to not ask for much. He hasn't played in a full game since 2018. His name is probably down the list around the league. The only way we couldn't sign him for even cheaper than last offseason is if he comes back and lights it up for us, which I wouldn't complain about.

I fully expect Ballard to resign AC and Doyle. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns EE because of his blocking. Reich and Ballard like having EE not only for his flashy plays, but for his blocking. Heck, 60% of plays our TEs are used for blocking or rub routes, so they would rather have blocking TEs than a George Kittle.

Not to say that Ballard and Reich wouldn't love to have Kittle, but that's not their preferred style of TE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think they have to by rule spend a certain amount in 2020.

 

20 hours ago, MPStack said:


That is correct. I shared the Colts FA link for 2020. So, the Colts will probably prioritize Castonzo and a few others there, but the Colts will still be healthy with CAP space. R. Kelly will be a FA in 2021. 
 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/indianapolis-colts/

 

20 hours ago, csmopar said:

 

They have to spend 90 percent of the cap over a 4 year period that ends in 2020. He is gonna HAVE to spend or lose it

 

If the 2020 cap is $200m (safe projection), the Colts have to spend ~$163m in cash in 2020. Right now, they have $108m committed. They'll have to sign their draft class; last year's draft picks cost about $15m, so figure they're at $123m committed. Technically, they are only $40m below the minimum cash spend threshold.

 

Castonzo, Funchess, Ebron, Sheard and Doyle are all free agents. You can spend $40m in cash on those five guys alone, without breaking a sweat. They could also do early extensions for Hilton, Kelly, Hooker, and Mack, and the cash (signing bonuses paid in 2020) would count toward the spending requirement.

 

I've been saying for several years now, and I guess I'll keep saying it for a few more months, the Colts do not have to go on a spending spree to meet the minimum spend threshold, and the threshold will not require them to go sign a bunch of big name free agents.

 

I'm also not aware of any limit or restriction on the amount of cap space that they can roll forward to 2020. So with our ~$44m cap rollover from 2019, and with no new contracts signed, they'll be ~$110m under the cap at the start of the new league year. But they are not required to spend like crazy to meet the minimum spend requirement.

 

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment by believing incorrect statements about the minimum spend requirement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I'd expect Funch to not ask for much. He hasn't played in a full game since 2018. His name is probably down the list around the league. The only way we couldn't sign him for even cheaper than last offseason is if he comes back and lights it up for us, which I wouldn't complain about.

I fully expect Ballard to resign AC and Doyle. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns EE because of his blocking. Reich and Ballard like having EE not only for his flashy plays, but for his blocking. Heck, 60% of plays our TEs are used for blocking or rub routes, so they would rather have blocking TEs than a George Kittle.

Not to say that Ballard and Reich wouldn't love to have Kittle, but that's not their preferred style of TE

For the record Kittle is a very good blocker. Also disagree With EE being a good blocker. That has been a knock on him since he has been in the league and the reason he has had limited snaps compared to Doyle when Doyle is health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

 

 

If the 2020 cap is $200m (safe projection), the Colts have to spend ~$163m in cash in 2020. Right now, they have $108m committed. They'll have to sign their draft class; last year's draft picks cost about $15m, so figure they're at $123m committed. Technically, they are only $40m below the minimum cash spend threshold.

 

Castonzo, Funchess, Ebron, Sheard and Doyle are all free agents. You can spend $40m in cash on those five guys alone, without breaking a sweat. They could also do early extensions for Hilton, Kelly, Hooker, and Mack, and the cash (signing bonuses paid in 2020) would count toward the spending requirement.

 

I've been saying for several years now, and I guess I'll keep saying it for a few more months, the Colts do not have to go on a spending spree to meet the minimum spend threshold, and the threshold will not require them to go sign a bunch of big name free agents.

 

I'm also not aware of any limit or restriction on the amount of cap space that they can roll forward to 2020. So with our ~$44m cap rollover from 2019, and with no new contracts signed, they'll be ~$110m under the cap at the start of the new league year. But they are not required to spend like crazy to meet the minimum spend requirement.

 

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment by believing incorrect statements about the minimum spend requirement. 

 

Yeah all true and add the fact (or disappointment sake) that all the teams have figured the cap out. Very seldom that a really good , young player reaches the market. What this does is put a ridiculous price tag on the few that hit that criteria. Landon Collins would IMO be the perfect example of that. 

Thus IMO , we will continue to see most of Ballads large FA commitments going to veterans like Houston and lesser talents. The contracts will be for 3 years with only a year or two of guaranteed money. No "wow" stuff here but IMO it's a sound game plan.

 

 This is not new stuff I'm posting . I'm just bored and don't want to talk about a hobbled JB throwing to a WR group with all the talent banged up or out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

 

 

If the 2020 cap is $200m (safe projection), the Colts have to spend ~$163m in cash in 2020. Right now, they have $108m committed. They'll have to sign their draft class; last year's draft picks cost about $15m, so figure they're at $123m committed. Technically, they are only $40m below the minimum cash spend threshold.

 

Castonzo, Funchess, Ebron, Sheard and Doyle are all free agents. You can spend $40m in cash on those five guys alone, without breaking a sweat. They could also do early extensions for Hilton, Kelly, Hooker, and Mack, and the cash (signing bonuses paid in 2020) would count toward the spending requirement.

 

I've been saying for several years now, and I guess I'll keep saying it for a few more months, the Colts do not have to go on a spending spree to meet the minimum spend threshold, and the threshold will not require them to go sign a bunch of big name free agents.

 

I'm also not aware of any limit or restriction on the amount of cap space that they can roll forward to 2020. So with our ~$44m cap rollover from 2019, and with no new contracts signed, they'll be ~$110m under the cap at the start of the new league year. But they are not required to spend like crazy to meet the minimum spend requirement.

 

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment by believing incorrect statements about the minimum spend requirement. 

Nice explanation, as normal from the cap guru. 

 

I dont think we’ll ever go after the super high dollar FAs. Doesn’t seem like Ballard’s style if you ask me. But I do expect a few 2nd tier guys, as per normal.  Plus it’s gonna be difficult to sign guys without knowing for sure long term what the cap is going forward with the new CBA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nice explanation, as normal from the cap guru. 

 

I dont think we’ll ever go after the super high dollar FAs. Doesn’t seem like Ballard’s style if you ask me. But I do expect a few 2nd tier guys, as per normal.  Plus it’s gonna be difficult to sign guys without knowing for sure long term what the cap is going forward with the new CBA

 

If you look at the landscape, what high money FA would be a good fit on our roster? Like dw49 said, they don't hit the market. When they rarely do, they get super inflated contracts. 

 

I think teams are concerned over the specifics of the new CBA, but I don't think there will be any concerns about the money. The cap will keep going up, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, aaron11 said:

 nope, not really.  colts will need to sign AC and decide what to do with ebron and doyle 

I honestly wanna see a TE drafted next year after QB obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I honestly wanna see a TE drafted next year after QB obviously.

Rather draft a wr unless the te is the next gronk or kelce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Rather draft a wr unless the te is the next gronk or kelce

we have more than one draft pick next year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Correct.   i don’t think Luck is EVER coming back. Nor do I want him back nor should the team want him back. He left this team high and dry less than10 days before the start of the regular season. If I was an owner or a coach, I wouldn’t want him back unless there were some major stipulations added to his contract. Such as 100 percent reimbursement for all salaries paid from the time he was drafted if he were to retire again too close to the season. Put a cut off date around March 30th. Anything after that, he has to reimburse as stated above. Then and only then would I take him back
    • He's got plenty of money.   I think the only way he would come back is if he had the itch to play and thought he could win.   Maybe if Rivers and the Colts have a good season the chance at winning would be there.   Very doubtful that he ever plays again.   I'd give it a 10% chance.
    • You are reading it incorrectly.  He is saying that he said he was the first to say that Luck's injury (shoulder) was due to a snowboarding accident and everyone laughed at him.  He then says that he said, 3 weeks before Luck retired, that Luck was going to retire.  
    • Snowboarding is an expensive recreational activity - weed is costly.
    • Reich intends to pit the two against one another in what many would consider Vinatieri's specialty: high-stress situations. The Colts coach explained that he will do his best to fabricate those situations during and after practice. One can be sure that without the added test of preseason games, the kickers' performance during these high-stress situations will go a long way in determining who wins the competition.   “They'll get all of their normal routines," Reich said. "But as a team, we'll create more team atmosphere, team kicking drills that will be heightened and weighted more heavily in the kicking competition."  Though Reich didn’t submit a “favorite” to win the battle, McLaughlin surely has the leg up in that he’s a somewhat proven NFL commodity. Last season, the undrafted free agent performed admirably in what amounted to a four-game audition with the Colts after Vinatieri succumbed to injury. Arriving in Indianapolis in the high-pressure role of replacing the kicker many consider the greatest of all time, McLaughlin drilled 5-of-6 field goals and all 11 of his extra points in those games. His performance in Vinatieri’s stead earned him a one-year contract with the Colts immediately following the season.    Of course, the man they call “Hot Rod” brings an impressive resume to the battle as well. During four years at SEC powerhouse Georgia, Blankenship was a model of accuracy and consistency. He connected on all 200 of his extra points and finished his Bulldog career an 82.5% field goal kicker and the school’s all-time leading scorer.  For his efforts -- and to keep him away from other teams -- the Colts handed Blankenship a $20,000 signing bonus, a hefty number among undrafted free agents. Despite McLaughlin’s incumbent status, Blankenship’s price tag and Reich comments foretell would should be an equal and open competition for the job.    https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/07/29/colts-vinatieri-era-indy-seemingly-over-mclaughlin-blankenship-battle-job/5536851002/
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...