Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary Cap next year

Restinpeacesweetchloe

12 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think they have to by rule spend a certain amount in 2020.

That is correct. I shared the Colts FA link for 2020. So, the Colts will probably prioritize Castonzo and a few others there, but the Colts will still be healthy with CAP space. R. Kelly will be a FA in 2021. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/indianapolis-colts/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don’t know who pending FA are but maybe Ballard does a little more next year. Adding a couple more pieces could really put us over the top.

This is an extremely useful site: 

2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents

I know it's going to trigger the "you don't know Chris Ballard" responses, but Amari Cooper is still on track to be a free agent, and Dallas still hasn't completed a deal for Dak. Yes he's gonna cost at least $22m a year, but going for bargains at receiver has hurt the passing game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes. I think they can only carry over like 20%. Going to be a interesting off season.

They have to spend 90 percent of the cap over a 4 year period that ends in 2020. He is gonna HAVE to spend or lose it

19 minutes ago, ColtV said:

This is an extremely useful site: 

2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents

I know it's going to trigger the "you don't know Chris Ballard" responses, but Amari Cooper is still on track to be a free agent, and Dallas still hasn't completed a deal for Dak. Yes he's gonna cost at least $22m a year, but going for bargains at receiver has hurt the passing game. 

I think Andrew Luck retiring and injuries have hurt the passing game.

Devin Funchess was one of the highest paid free agent wide receivers last spring. He has played in one game this year. He was supposed to be their number two wide receiver.

There was hope, at least I did, that one of Daurice Fountain or Deion Cain would be a steady contributor at receiver this year. One is injured the entire year and the other was cut.

Another important player to the receivers, 2rd round pick Paris Campbell, has missed almost half the season.

The #1 receiver, TY Hilton, has missed 4 games.

Also, we shouldn't forget about Jacoby's injury and the brace he is playing with. Most of us would hate walking around the block with the brace he played with on Thursday let alone play a football game.

Every team in the league is going to have a rough time with their passing game if the above happened to them.

I think the Colts need to sign a veteran receiver (or bring Funchess back) but not necessarily the top receiver. I also think it would be good to draft one but around round 3 and not round 1. 

• Like 4

Team isn’t going anywhere with the QB play now.

However the Colts have the chance to grab some good players at important positions to improve this team. Ballard will most likely spend it on re-signing his own guys though.

Future is still bright for the Colts. Have good draft capital and plenty of money to spend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I think Andrew Luck retiring and injuries have hurt the passing game.

Another important player to the receivers, 2rd round pick Paris Campbell, has missed almost half the season.

The #1 receiver, TY Hilton, has missed 4 games.

Also, we shouldn't forget about Jacoby's injury and the brace he is playing with. Most of us would hate walking around the block with the brace he played with on Thursday let alone play a football game.

Every team in the league is going to have a rough time with their passing game if the above happened to them.

I certainly concur, the Luck retirement and injuries have definitely had an impact, but even coming into this season I believed we were in trouble at receiver.  Funchess, Rogers, Doyle, and Ebron are all unrestricted free agents, and imo there needs to be another target to truly take the pressure off of TY. And there may not be another time when a 3 time pro bowl receiver who will only be 26 next year becomes available. 

I am pretty curious to see what if anything is done with the QB situation this off season. I like JB a lot. I do. But I just don’t think he can elevate us and perform at a high and needed level. I know the offense has been gimped lately, but the running game has been picking up the slack. Thursday it was obvious. Even when Texans were playing to stop the run, we still couldn’t throw the ball downfield. Hilton dropping two key 3rd down conversions hurt us too. This is why I’m not entirely throwing all my shade at JB. We just need a better QB that can push the ball. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don’t know who pending FA are but maybe Ballard does a little more next year. Adding a couple more pieces could really put us over the top.

Keep in mind we’ll have to resign some guys which will eat away at some of that. I think Ballard will resign Doyle and Castonzo for sure, maybe Ebron and Funchess too. I can’t remember who else is up

2 hours ago, B~Town said:

Does the difference go to the players ?

That is my understanding. They take the difference and start giving it to the players until the 90 percent is reached. It’s divided 53 equal ways I believe 

20 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

is it a good free agent class coming up?

Too early to tell. 

FA isn’t the only way to “buy” talent. Teams seem more willing than ever to trade proven talent for picks. If an opportunity presents itself...where a proven talent is set to get paid (or already under a big contract)...I would love to see Ballard flex his cap space and take advantage. I am not talking about shelling out multiple 1st round picks...but I don’t think a Day Two pick would be off the table. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Keep in mind we’ll have to resign some guys which will eat away at some of that. I think Ballard will resign Doyle and Castonzo for sure, maybe Ebron and Funchess too. I can’t remember who else is up

I’m not real sure about EE, his salary requests will be a large factor as he hasn’t produced well in 2019, be it his hands or his QB, he hasn’t lived up to a large enough for his ego contract imho. 

the first I’d agree with and Funchess is a huge question mark too. Can you resign a guy who has been broken all season and getting huge money to boot? Idk what his worth would be and can JB showcase him if he comes back to warrant another big payday? Huge questions 

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’m not real sure about EE, his salary requests will be a large factor as he hasn’t produced well in 2019, be it his hands or his QB, he hasn’t lived up to a large enough for his ego contract imho. 

the first I’d agree with and Funchess is a huge question mark too. Can you resign a guy who has been broken all season and getting huge money to boot? Idk what his worth would be and can JB showcase him if he comes back to warrant another big payday? Huge questions 

I'd expect Funch to not ask for much. He hasn't played in a full game since 2018. His name is probably down the list around the league. The only way we couldn't sign him for even cheaper than last offseason is if he comes back and lights it up for us, which I wouldn't complain about.

I fully expect Ballard to resign AC and Doyle. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns EE because of his blocking. Reich and Ballard like having EE not only for his flashy plays, but for his blocking. Heck, 60% of plays our TEs are used for blocking or rub routes, so they would rather have blocking TEs than a George Kittle.

Not to say that Ballard and Reich wouldn't love to have Kittle, but that's not their preferred style of TE

20 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

20 hours ago, MPStack said:

That is correct. I shared the Colts FA link for 2020. So, the Colts will probably prioritize Castonzo and a few others there, but the Colts will still be healthy with CAP space. R. Kelly will be a FA in 2021. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/indianapolis-colts/

20 hours ago, csmopar said:

They have to spend 90 percent of the cap over a 4 year period that ends in 2020. He is gonna HAVE to spend or lose it

If the 2020 cap is $200m (safe projection), the Colts have to spend ~$163m in cash in 2020. Right now, they have $108m committed. They'll have to sign their draft class; last year's draft picks cost about $15m, so figure they're at $123m committed. Technically, they are only $40m below the minimum cash spend threshold.

Castonzo, Funchess, Ebron, Sheard and Doyle are all free agents. You can spend $40m in cash on those five guys alone, without breaking a sweat. They could also do early extensions for Hilton, Kelly, Hooker, and Mack, and the cash (signing bonuses paid in 2020) would count toward the spending requirement.

I've been saying for several years now, and I guess I'll keep saying it for a few more months, the Colts do not have to go on a spending spree to meet the minimum spend threshold, and the threshold will not require them to go sign a bunch of big name free agents.

I'm also not aware of any limit or restriction on the amount of cap space that they can roll forward to 2020. So with our ~$44m cap rollover from 2019, and with no new contracts signed, they'll be ~$110m under the cap at the start of the new league year. But they are not required to spend like crazy to meet the minimum spend requirement.

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment by believing incorrect statements about the minimum spend requirement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I'd expect Funch to not ask for much. He hasn't played in a full game since 2018. His name is probably down the list around the league. The only way we couldn't sign him for even cheaper than last offseason is if he comes back and lights it up for us, which I wouldn't complain about.

I fully expect Ballard to resign AC and Doyle. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns EE because of his blocking. Reich and Ballard like having EE not only for his flashy plays, but for his blocking. Heck, 60% of plays our TEs are used for blocking or rub routes, so they would rather have blocking TEs than a George Kittle.

Not to say that Ballard and Reich wouldn't love to have Kittle, but that's not their preferred style of TE

For the record Kittle is a very good blocker. Also disagree With EE being a good blocker. That has been a knock on him since he has been in the league and the reason he has had limited snaps compared to Doyle when Doyle is health.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

If the 2020 cap is $200m (safe projection), the Colts have to spend ~$163m in cash in 2020. Right now, they have $108m committed. They'll have to sign their draft class; last year's draft picks cost about $15m, so figure they're at $123m committed. Technically, they are only $40m below the minimum cash spend threshold.

Castonzo, Funchess, Ebron, Sheard and Doyle are all free agents. You can spend $40m in cash on those five guys alone, without breaking a sweat. They could also do early extensions for Hilton, Kelly, Hooker, and Mack, and the cash (signing bonuses paid in 2020) would count toward the spending requirement.

I've been saying for several years now, and I guess I'll keep saying it for a few more months, the Colts do not have to go on a spending spree to meet the minimum spend threshold, and the threshold will not require them to go sign a bunch of big name free agents.

I'm also not aware of any limit or restriction on the amount of cap space that they can roll forward to 2020. So with our ~$44m cap rollover from 2019, and with no new contracts signed, they'll be ~$110m under the cap at the start of the new league year. But they are not required to spend like crazy to meet the minimum spend requirement.

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment by believing incorrect statements about the minimum spend requirement. 

Yeah all true and add the fact (or disappointment sake) that all the teams have figured the cap out. Very seldom that a really good , young player reaches the market. What this does is put a ridiculous price tag on the few that hit that criteria. Landon Collins would IMO be the perfect example of that. 

Thus IMO , we will continue to see most of Ballads large FA commitments going to veterans like Houston and lesser talents. The contracts will be for 3 years with only a year or two of guaranteed money. No "wow" stuff here but IMO it's a sound game plan.

This is not new stuff I'm posting . I'm just bored and don't want to talk about a hobbled JB throwing to a WR group with all the talent banged up or out. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nice explanation, as normal from the cap guru. 

I dont think we’ll ever go after the super high dollar FAs. Doesn’t seem like Ballard’s style if you ask me. But I do expect a few 2nd tier guys, as per normal.  Plus it’s gonna be difficult to sign guys without knowing for sure long term what the cap is going forward with the new CBA

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nice explanation, as normal from the cap guru. 

I dont think we’ll ever go after the super high dollar FAs. Doesn’t seem like Ballard’s style if you ask me. But I do expect a few 2nd tier guys, as per normal.  Plus it’s gonna be difficult to sign guys without knowing for sure long term what the cap is going forward with the new CBA

If you look at the landscape, what high money FA would be a good fit on our roster? Like dw49 said, they don't hit the market. When they rarely do, they get super inflated contracts. 

I think teams are concerned over the specifics of the new CBA, but I don't think there will be any concerns about the money. The cap will keep going up, IMO.

• Like 1