Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Paths to the Playoffs

LuckyHorseShoe§

So after...that...I thought I’d start a thread evaluating our paths to the playoffs.

The way I see it, are cow friends will probably only lose one more game, against the Pats.

That leaves us with wildcard. At most we can afford to lose one more game, and we’ll need the Raiders and Steelers to lose three more each.

So this all really sucks.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

when you have to start hoping other team win and lose to get into the playoffs your team does not need to be in the playoffs

Yeah well we got a dealt a crappy hand, so we gotta find a way to cope with it I guess. We won’t and shouldn’t be in the playoffs, but that small hope is keeping me from breaking something right now.

3 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

So after...that...I thought I’d start a thread evaluating our paths to the playoffs.

The way I see it, are cow friends will probably only lose one more game, against the Pats.

That leaves us with wildcard. At most we can afford to lose one more game, and we’ll need the Raiders and Steelers to lose three more each.

Thoughts?

Don’t hold your breath on the Colts landing a wildcard spot.  They blew that pretty much by losing to Steelers, Dolphins and the Raiders at home.  When you blow easy games like that you have to do it the hard way and that was beating Houston and the rest of the division.  No margin for error and we continue to come up wanting. 

3 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Must win division to many conference losses for a wildcard 

Agreed. Even if we were to win out though, we’d need Houston to drop at least two I think

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Don’t hold your breath on the Colts landing a wildcard spot.  They blew that pretty much by losing to Steelers, Dolphins and the Raiders at home.  When you blow easy games like that you have to do it the hard way and that was beating Houston and the rest of the division.  No margin for error and we continue to come up wanting. 

I don’t hold my breath when it comes to anything with the Colts, they always leave me suffocating

3 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Agreed. Even if we were to win out though, we’d need Houston to drop at least two I think

I don’t hold my breath when it comes to anything with the Colts, they always leave me suffocating

I hear you.  They can kill by suffocation or just straight heart attack. 

6 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Sometimes I really hate being a sports fan. I feel like it’s a lot of unnecessary stress for usually little reward. Oh well, first world problem I guess

Yeah...oh well at least I still have my Duke Blue Devils...they won big tonight and are currently ranked number one in the country. My poor Orioles are in pitiful shape. 

37 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Thoughts?

They are in a tough spot...because both OAK and PIT both have the tiebreaker...and so does HOU for the divsion.

This now has a very 2015-2016 feel to it...as far as standings go.

7 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah...oh well at least I still have my Duke Blue Devils...they won big tonight and are currently ranked number one in the country. My poor Orioles are in pitiful shape. 

IU football is doing well so I at least have that, plus IU basketball looks strong, and University of Evansville (my hometown) knocked off UK

Don’t even get me started on the Bengals or Reds :Gaah:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

They are in a tough spot...because both OAK and PIT both have the tiebreaker...and so does HOU for the divsion.

I think 2015 might be the most painful year, because we did just poorly enough to not make the playoffs but just well enough to not get a high pick. Plus that was the year poor Andrew got the snot beat out of him.

7 hours ago, JediXMan said:

tenor.gif

I should’ve seen this coming and somehow I didn’t lol

Any chance we have now starts with winning games. 

And uh, we’re a little spotty in that department... 

At this point in the season there’s no team in the league that we can say “well we’d absolutely beat them”. 

We can win any game we play. 

Just as much as we can lose any game we play. *Looks awkwardly at Dolphins game*

3 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

IU football is doing well so I at least have that, plus IU basketball looks strong, and University of Evansville (my hometown) knocked off UK

Don’t even get me started on the Bengals or Reds :Gaah:

Yes! I was excited to see Evansville knock off UK...for obvious reasons.  Lol Go Devils! 

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

I'm done worrying about this season. We're not going anywhere with this explosive passing attack of ours.

Explosive as in implosive lol

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes! I was excited to see Evansville knock off UK...for obvious reasons.  Lol Go Devils! 

More like Go Purple Aces, but I’m glad you also enjoyed that game lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shastamasta said:

how exactly does houston have the tiebreaker for the division?  we split with them but we havent lost to the titans or jax yet.

1 hour ago, Virtuoso80 said:

how exactly does houston have the tiebreaker for the division?  we split with them but we havent lost to the titans or jax yet.

This... 

It goes Record, then Head to Head, then Division Records, then Common Opponents. 

If Texans lose to Pats next week and we beat the Titans, we'll be in first place in the south... at least temporarily:

- We'd both be 7-5.
- We have split with them.
- They would be 3-1 in the division, but we would be 4-1. So this is where we would at least temporarily be in first place.

I would assume that the Texans have a better common opponents record than us at the moment though? Really I think we need to beat them by a game.... this game was so important and we threw it away with bad play calling by belligerently running the ball with very little creativity. We were so predictable.

Houston lost to the Saints and Panthers.... Winning both those games would be enormous.... Unlikely, but just so huge..... Gotta beat the Titans first though.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Assuming both IND and HOU win out their remaining AFCS games...it goes to common games (since h2h and divisional record is tied). Colts can tie that by running the table (assuming HOU wins out)...but they can’t catch HOU on the conference game tiebreaker.

This is assuming a lot...and there are games left that will decide it...but HOU can control their destiny.

• Thanks 1

There's no way Houston is going to win out there are too many defective Parts in their defense. Sadly we did not exploit them but other teams will. We do not have the luxury of looking ahead because our offense is still a work in progress. First things first get healthy and beat Tennessee

21 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Assuming both IND and HOU win out their remaining AFCS games...it goes to common games (since h2h and divisional record is tied). Colts can tie that by running the table (assuming HOU wins out)...but they can’t catch HOU on the conference game tiebreaker.

This is assuming a lot...and there are games left that will decide it...but HOU can control their destiny.

Don’t worry, making large assumptions is what humans are good at

There is a silver lining with us getting our WR back. It might be to late but we can hopefully see what this offense could of been with everyone healthy. If we are lucky we will get some help while we get healthy. We need to be a jets fan tomorrow and a jags fan. If we sneak in we get a healthy Mack back with fresh legs for the playoffs.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Thoughts?

It's really not all that "dire" when you look at it now.

Tenn. stayed in it by beating Jax. Houston will have 2 games with them. By losing one , it would give us the tiebreaker over Houston.  

I actually think it's possible Houston beats NE. But if it doesn't happen , they will have a very tough game following that game as they are at Tenn. Even if we beat Tenn, they should still be alive for a WC and play hard vs Houston. 

Oakland lost today and Pittsburgh stinks. Thus it's possible for us to finish with a better record than both. 

Anyway... if NE beats Htn and we beat Tenn. , we're right back in it. Then again I'm not sure we can beat Tenn again and Carolina will be tough.

There is basically one wildcard spot left. Even the browns are still in it. That titans game will be as big as the Houston game was. The Steelers are so bad it really would be a shame if they got in. When you look at that only two teams have ran away with the AFC. Everyone else is bunched up within a game or less.

On 11/21/2019 at 10:45 PM, Freenyfan102 said:

when you have to start hoping other team win and lose to get into the playoffs your team does not need to be in the playoffs

Exactly. I stopped with that game years ago.   They lost to the Dolphins,  that's all that needs to be said.  The Steelers look terrible on offense , and the Raiders got massacred by the Jets.  We lost to both. They don't deserve it if they don't make it. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

It's really not all that "dire" when you look at it now.

Tenn. stayed in it by beating Jax. Houston will have 2 games with them. By losing one , it would give us the tiebreaker over Houston.  

I actually think it's possible Houston beats NE. But if it doesn't happen , they will have a very tough game following that game as they are at Tenn. Even if we beat Tenn, they should still be alive for a WC and play hard vs Houston. 

Oakland lost today and Pittsburgh stinks. Thus it's possible for us to finish with a better record than both. 

Anyway... if NE beats Htn and we beat Tenn. , we're right back in it. Then again I'm not sure we can beat Tenn again and Carolina will be tough.

With the way the QB and the passing game are playing I agree in saying I'm not even sure if we beat Tenn a second time.  And we all know I usually am always very confident about beating Tenn.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

With the way the QB and the passing game are playing I agree in saying I'm not even sure if we beat Tenn a second time.  And we all know I usually am always very confident about beating Tenn.

Well there is a chance we get two WR back and TY is healthy and has full practices next week. Maybe that is the boost we need.

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is basically one wildcard spot left. Even the browns are still in it. That titans game will be as big as the Houston game was. The Steelers are so bad it really would be a shame if they got in. When you look at that only two teams have ran away with the AFC. Everyone else is bunched up within a game or less.

The Bills actually play teams above 500 for the next 4 weeks and finish off with an improving Jets - they're far from a guarantee.

• Like 1