Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

11/21 v HOU: Lack of execution

Imgrandojji

Could have easily won this game.  At some point you tip your hat to Hopkins, but it should never have come to that.  We had 3 chances to take the offensive in the 4th and it was drop by TY, drop by TY, and 3 questionable playcalls in a row that had me absolutely scratching my head, especially the timeout on the 4th and 7 that still resulted in Brissett scrambling on what is clearly a busted play.

I mean if you're going to call timeout in order to run a specific play, I don't think it's too much to ask for that play to be executed cleanly.  Brissett is the guy we saw scrambling for his life but I'm willing to bet there was a couple downfield targets very industriously not getting open that caused that to happen.  That's on the coach, you've got to call a high percentage play there and I wouldn't call what I saw on that field on the 4th and 7 play high percentage in any way, shape or form.

Reich let us down

TY let us down

Brissett had some issues in the first quarter although I can't blame him for everything that happened in the last third of the game,

The run game was phenomenal and I have no reason why we kept getting off it at 3rd and medium in the second half when it was our bread and butter.  I get trying to catch the opponent off guard but the passing attack wasn't setting the world on fire and the run game was blowing the doors off.  Why overthink it?

Frank, you said you would run the ball and play 4 downs, instead at critical moments you went to a pass attack that wasn't working very well, and then punted on 4th.  Stay true to your own logic man.  Lack of ambition/risk taking is part of what happened here.

As for the D: I'm more inclined to blame the fact that an elite QB has elite receivers who are gonna break one or two off, rather than be too hard on the secondary, especially because the secondary was missing some pieces.  At the end of the day the secondary was the least of our issues.  Most of our issues were on offense and as much as I do love Brissett, the throwing game was at the center of a lot of them. 

I don't know exactly what's off but Brissett was not on the same page with his receivers today, the whole unit didn't look sharp, the timing was frequently off, throws weren't on target.  Is it the knee?  Lack of talent in the WR unit?  Brissett himself?  Hard to say, probably all of the above. 

Which makes going to it at so many key moments even more unreasonable and again points to either Reich or the OC having issues, which we've seen before.

Coaches have some work to do.

And for God's sake get that slow developing end run play from -5 yards out of the playbook before it kills us even more.  That play has backfired and gotten the RB flattened every time it's been tried.  Get rid of it.

• Like 1

Lost by 3 on the road to a division rival, split the series, pretty normal in the NFL.  It happens, not like the sun exploded.

If it costs the playoffs, well we shoulda beat the raiders, fins, and Steelers.

Still have tenn next week and one more tilt with the jags.

I expected much more tonight outta the passing game. ty must have borrowed Ebron's gloves or something.  That drop on 3rd was abyssmal.

The blown coverage on their BEST player was the difference tonight.  One play, it happens........

I'm upset, but whatever.  I still wake up with stage 4

cancer.......perspective people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Why are we running the ball MORE with Mack not playing?

Quite simply, because we cannot pass.

2 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Prayers for you my friend. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Quite simply, because we cannot pass.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Prayers for you my friend. 

No worries, and I'll definitely take the prayers.  Thanks, but I have about 3 seasons left. 

Just offering it as an example of how our lives dont change because dudes wearing our favorite laundry dont score more points than dudes wearing hated laundry.

Single parents still gotta go to work, autistic kids still struggle at school, I know a bunch of people who have chemo monday.......  Pick any one, hell pick three, mix and match if you like.  This football S#*% isnt real. We should try (and I'm admittedly terrible at it too) to keep it in petspective.

Lost on the road by three NBD.

Edited by Sumo63
Left a sentence hanging.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

God forbid we blame Brissett for anything. It's obviously never his fault...

A lot was his fault tonight and I like JB. He played bad. The play calling at times though had me saying what!! I love ground and pound but man only throwing deep twice all night and never sending TY deep for a long one is puzzling. I posted on another thread, if Reich has no faith in JB going deep at least 5 times a game why not just play Kelly. I mean a team at least needs some down the field action. A play here or there to keep the D honest. JB has a cannon for an arm, makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

No worries, and I'll definitely take the prayers.  Thanks, but I have about 3 seasons left. 

Just offering it as an example of how our lives dont change because dudes wearing our favorite laundry dont score more points than dudes wearing hated laundry.

Single parents still gotta go to work, autistic kids still struggle at school, I know a bunch of people who have chemo monday.......  Pick any one, hell pick three, mix and match if you like.  This football S#*% isnt real. We should try (and I'm admittedly terrible at it too) to keep it in petspective.

Lost on the road by three NBD.

You are 100% correct about that.  

Hang in there.  Really hope you can beat the odds.  If the courage you displayed on here by sharing your situation is any indication, I’m betting on you!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot was his fault tonight and I like JB. He played bad. The play calling at times though had me saying what!! I love ground and pound but man only throwing deep twice all night and never sending TY deep for a long one is puzzling. I posted on another thread, if Reich has no faith in JB going deep at least 5 times a game why not just play Kelly. I mean a team at least needs some down the field action. A play here or there to keep the D honest. JB has a cannon for an arm, makes no sense to me.

I think Reich doesn't trust JB as much as people think and as much as he's letting on in the media. Just watch what he's doing rather than what he's saying. His playcalls and the type of offense he's running will tell you everything you need to know about what he thinks Brissett's strengths are and what his weaknesses are. He's obviously calling the game trying to protect him and take the ball out of his hands. IMO another layer on top of that problem is that IMO Brissett's limitations are making Reich make non-optimal decisions with his playcalling so it becomes a perfect storm - you have a hyper-conservative QB and as a response your playcaller decides to mask some of those deficiencies by.... calling even more conservative game. It builds up. Right now we are pretty much relying on the offensive line to steamroll opponents in the run game and the defense to stop the opponent and when one of those two don't work we lose... and because of the relatively low efficiency of the run game in general even that's not a guarantee you win. This is our game plan. 

With that said... I'm NOT one of the people who think Kelly will be better. There is a reason he's never stuck anywhere and is currently a practice squad player. IMO it's very possible he turns in performances similar to Hoyer for example. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

STAHP!

Seriously, J. Williams almost ran for more yards than the QB threw. All this post and you blame everyone but the QB who you are making excuses for?

That is just this dude's MO. He's dug in on JB.

I might think he was trolling...but he's too cordial for that.

• Thanks 4

The thread should have been titled "defections of a Brissett apologist"

If anyone told you we'd have a 100 yard rusher, out rush Houston, win the turnover battle, and hold them to 20 in their own house, 99% of people would guess we won.

This is a clear example of the "sustainability" conversation that's gone on for a while.....

Quite simply the way we were winning was not sustainable, and we sheet the bed tonight. The fail was a lack of production in the passing game, or at minimum the lack of confidence in the passing game (causing Reich to call the exact opposite of the game plan that beat Houston earlier)....

And those that liked to dwell on JB's superman or clutch moments have nothing to grasp this week. Clear example that "all he does is win" is a silly anecdotal excuse for his lack of production. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

You are 100% correct about that.  

Hang in there.  Really hope you can beat the odds.  If the courage you displayed on here by sharing your situation is any indication, I’m betting on you!  

Thanks, that means the world to me, but the fix is in.  Its gonna take me out sooner rather than later.   I'll damn sure give it a black eye on the way down though.  I'm determined to do that much at least!

Here's the secret tho...... cancer cannot win.  Either through medical means or through death of the host, those of us that have it WILL BE RID of it.

Mine will kill me but the victory belongs to me.  In few short years I'll be free. 

All I have to do is endure.  Endurance has always been the cost of freedom,  it's a heavy, painful, humiliating price, but it's one I'll gladly pay. 

Head up, eyes clear, and so grateful for what I've been given. (even when we lose by 3 on the road, on a short week to a division rival, lol).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If anyone told you we'd have a 100 yard rusher, out rush Houston, win the turnover battle, and hold them to 20 in their own house, 99% of people would guess we won.

This is a clear example of the "sustainability" conversation that's gone on for a while.....

Quite simply the way we were winning was not sustainable, and we sheet the bed tonight. The fail was a lack of production in the passing game, or at minimum the lack of confidence in the passing game (causing Reich to call the exact opposite of the game plan that beat Houston earlier)....

And those that liked to dwell on JB's superman or clutch moments have nothing to grasp this week. Clear example that "all he does is win" is a silly anecdotal excuse for his lack of production. 

I already said he played bad as one of the JB supporters so I am covered. All he did was lose tonight but I did think Reich's play calling stunk as does about 90% of this forum does lmao. I have to be honest if I was the QB of the Colts I would have a meeting with Reich after this game and say look if you don't have faith in me throwing down field than bench me. Other wise let me throw and change plays at the line of scrimmage. That is just me because after tonight it looks Reich has 0 faith in JB putting a game on his shoulders to win a game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I already said he played bad as one of the JB supporters so I am covered. All he did was lose tonight but I did think Reich's play calling stunk as does about 90% of this forum does lmao. I have to be honest if I was the QB of the Colts I would have a meeting with Reich after this game and say look if you don't have faith in me throwing down field than bench me. Other wise let me throw and change plays at the line of scrimmage. That is just me because after tonight it looks Reich has 0 faith in JB putting a game on his shoulders to win a game.  

Yes, Reich and JB both stunk. 

Reich's lack of confidence in JB may be because of JB's lack of confidence in JB.... I'd love to be a fly on the wall. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

While JB stunk, I just wish Reich would have given JB more of an opportunity to win it.

I would have still likely bagged on some of JBs performance, but at least I'd be happy with the win lol. 

Even had we won I have to admit "bagging on JB" wouldn't of been wrong and I always say winning is everything. JB played bad tonight.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said...the W/L record was the last bastion of this entire debate...and unfortunately that didn't happen tonight.

First it was passer rating...which...since the ATL game...has regressed in a scary way that no one really wants to acknowledge (outside of the HOU game...no game over 85.7 and many <80).

And then it was passing TDs...which were driven by RZ playcalling and an unbalanced TD distribution. And those have nearly vanished (outside of that HOU game...he has ONE passing TD in other 4 starts previous)...because they are now able to run the ball in the RZ.

The only thing left is W/L.

As crazy as it sounds...ever since that ATL game...he hasn't really been much different than 2017 JB.  And in that 2017 season, he never really progressed or improved as the season went on either. Can we safely say he is doing that now? I don't think so. 

And this is the guy that people want to commit to long-term...at a salary that will probably eclipse Foles' deal?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Could have easily won this game.  At some point you tip your hat to Hopkins, but it should never have come to that.  We had 3 chances to take the offensive in the 4th and it was drop by TY, drop by TY, and 3 questionable playcalls in a row that had me absolutely scratching my head, especially the timeout on the 4th and 7 that still resulted in Brissett scrambling on what is clearly a busted play.

I mean if you're going to call timeout in order to run a specific play, I don't think it's too much to ask for that play to be executed cleanly.  Brissett is the guy we saw scrambling for his life but I'm willing to bet there was a couple downfield targets very industriously not getting open that caused that to happen.  That's on the coach, you've got to call a high percentage play there and I wouldn't call what I saw on that field on the 4th and 7 play high percentage in any way, shape or form.

Reich let us down

TY let us down

Brissett had some issues in the first quarter although I can't blame him for everything that happened in the last third of the game,

The run game was phenomenal and I have no reason why we kept getting off it at 3rd and medium in the second half when it was our bread and butter.  I get trying to catch the opponent off guard but the passing attack wasn't setting the world on fire and the run game was blowing the doors off.  Why overthink it?

Frank, you said you would run the ball and play 4 downs, instead at critical moments you went to a pass attack that wasn't working very well, and then punted on 4th.  Stay true to your own logic man.  Lack of ambition/risk taking is part of what happened here.

As for the D: I'm more inclined to blame the fact that an elite QB has elite receivers who are gonna break one or two off, rather than be too hard on the secondary, especially because the secondary was missing some pieces.  At the end of the day the secondary was the least of our issues.  Most of our issues were on offense and as much as I do love Brissett, the throwing game was at the center of a lot of them. 

I don't know exactly what's off but Brissett was not on the same page with his receivers today, the whole unit didn't look sharp, the timing was frequently off, throws weren't on target.  Is it the knee?  Lack of talent in the WR unit?  Brissett himself?  Hard to say, probably all of the above. 

Which makes going to it at so many key moments even more unreasonable and again points to either Reich or the OC having issues, which we've seen before.

Coaches have some work to do.

And for God's sake get that slow developing end run play from -5 yards out of the playbook before it kills us even more.  That play has backfired and gotten the RB flattened every time it's been tried.  Get rid of it.

As of now you have no likes for your post. Good. You must be the biggest Brissett homer there is. Please open your eyes. 

Just now, shastamasta said:

Like I said...the W/L record was the last bastion of this entire debate...and unfortunately that didn't happen tonight.

First it was passer rating...which has regressed in a scary way that no one really wants to acknowledge (no game over 85.7 and many <80).

And then it was passing TDs...which were driven by RZ playcalling and an unbalanced TD distribution. And those have nearly vanished (outside of that HOU game...he has ONE passing TD in other 4 starts)...because they are now able to run the ball in the RZ.

As crazy as it sounds...ever since that ATL game...he hasn't really been much different than 2017 JB.  And in that 2017 season, he never really progressed or improved as the season went on either. Can we safely say he is doing that now? I don't think so. 

And this is the guy that people want to commit to long-term...at a salary that will probably eclipse Foles' deal?

Agreed. 

Inconsistency and lack of improvement is pretty damning at this point. This was the worst passing D (overall) left on the schedule. TB is worse YPG but better in other passing D areas. 

The chances I was giving him to improve (both skill and stat) in the final stretch took a major hit with this game.

What is puzzling is in 2017 he was better at the deep ball and chunk plays. Something isn’t clicking with Reich and him. As bad as he played tonight I am not going to bag to hard on reich or him until I see some receivers come back. The fact is we have nobody in the WR group to stretch the field except TY. I want to see us upgrade and then see where we are at. I am not throwing him away yet.

2 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Lost by 3 on the road to a division rival, split the series, pretty normal in the NFL.  It happens, not like the sun exploded.

If it costs the playoffs, well we shoulda beat the raiders, fins, and Steelers.

Still have tenn next week and one more tilt with the jags.

I expected much more tonight outta the passing game. ty must have borrowed Ebron's gloves or something.  That drop on 3rd was abyssmal.

The blown coverage on their BEST player was the difference tonight.  One play, it happens........

This ....

Plus Thursday football 

Annd a garbage no fumble call.

I would also agree once we get all our WR back I would be having a convo with Reich and say If you want me as your QB give me the playbook. He clearly has the ability to throw it downfield when you go back to 2017.  There was a lot of things going on tonight. He was not good and the WR were not good. I remember when we played the falcons one of their WR said he didn’t know how to play zone. Maybe that was part of the issue.  Reich is not connecting with what this passing game needs. There were lots of questions thrown at Reich tonight about the passing game from the media after. I will be curious if he answers any in the following days.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

First it was passer rating...which...since the ATL game...has regressed in a scary way that no one really wants to acknowledge (outside of the HOU game...no game over 85.7 and many <80).

And then it was passing TDs...which were driven by RZ playcalling and an unbalanced TD distribution. And those have nearly vanished (outside of that HOU game...he has ONE passing TD in other 4 starts previous)...because they are now able to run the ball in the RZ.

You sound happy we lost, congrats JB stunk tonight. He is only on contract through next season, after that you and many can play GM and say who you want in here to QB. If your guy fails and other posters who think should QB this team fails I will be ready to bag too happy the rock GIF, so make the right the choice people. It's funny how some people think they are smarter than Ballard haha . As for me after we won the SB 2006 and the Cubs won in 2016, I am content in reality in the sports world. I am too old to be arguing with other Colts fans who our starting QB should be. Bad for my health. I feel like this site isn't even a Colts site at times. It's just a site to bag on the team and the QB. So if Chad Kelly started next week I could care less if that is what people want. As long as we win that is all that counts, we lost so I guess JB blew it tonight lmao . 

• Like 1

Look, this wa a typical Colts game.  

We ran  the.ball a lot. Check.

Defense holds opponent to 20. Check.

JB holds the ball forever then runs. Yep

We are good in red zone. Yes.

We get a turnover late in game that decides the game. Check.

The difference is that JB couldn’t run. TY couldn’t catch and the refs didn’t review that fumble. If JB and TY were healthy and /or we get that fumble called and we win. 

Note: we need a healthy TY to beat Houston. That’s just the way it is.

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

The difference is that JB couldn’t run. TY couldn’t catch and the refs didn’t review that fumble. If JB and TY were healthy and /or we get that fumble called and we win. 

I am not going to make excuses but I thought the REFS sucked. 

25 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

This summarises well what I, and others, have been trying to get at. When you play like we do, you increase the variance and winning/losing comes down to getting the rub of the green on key plays. Every game you play becomes a coin flip and we all know what the odds on flipping a coin are. 

Really feels deflating when we played so well against the Jags. 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to be honest if I was the QB of the Colts I would have a meeting with Reich after this game and say look if you don't have faith in me throwing down field than bench me. Other wise let me throw and change plays at the line of scrimmage.

• Is this a request that JB needs to make (letting him throw and change plays)? This is a serious question. With how much Frank goes on and on about Jacoby being such a great leader, I honestly assumed he would already let JB do these things.  Is the problem Frank holding Brissett back, or Brissett just not being a very good decision maker in the heat of the moment? Again, serious question.

I don’t really get into the QB arguments on here but I do tend to side with those who think Brissett is not the one for us down the stretch. The TV doesn’t always pan out to show you who is or is not open, but I saw several plays in this game and others where I felt he had options to throw the ball and he didn’t. I’m not sure if this is because he was so set on sticking with the original play call, or because he just doesn’t fully have the skills of a decisive game play maker. I feel like Frank would not get upset if JB went out there and changed the play at the line of scrimmage... isn’t that what good leaders have to do at times?

Maybe you are right, they do need to have this specific conversation... just would surprise me if they are just now having this talk this far into the season.  Sorry for the long post lmao

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

This summarises well what I, and others, have been trying to get at. When you play like we do, you increase the variance and winning/losing comes down to getting the rub of the green on key plays. Every game you play becomes a coin flip and we all know what the odds on flipping a coin are. 

Really feels deflating when we played so well against the Jags. 

I ran out of likes but YES to both of these

the office yes GIF

8 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:
  • Is this a request that JB needs to make (letting him throw and change plays)? This is a serious question. With how much Frank goes on and on about Jacoby being such a great leader, I honestly assumed he would already let JB do these things.  Is the problem Frank holding Brissett back, or Brissett just not being a very good decision maker in the heat of the moment? Again, serious question.

I don’t really get into the QB arguments on here but I do tend to side with those who think Brissett is not the one for us down the stretch. The TV doesn’t always pan out to show you who is or is not open, but I saw several plays in this game and others where I felt he had options to throw the ball and he didn’t. I’m not sure if this is because he was so set on sticking with the original play call, or because he just doesn’t fully have the skills of a decisive game play maker. I feel like Frank would not get upset if JB went out there and changed the play at the line of scrimmage... isn’t that what good leaders have to do at times?

Maybe you are right, they do need to have this specific conversation... just would surprise me if they are just now having this talk this far into the season.  Sorry for the long post lmao

When we ran the ball 19 out of 20 plays something didn't jive with me. It made me think either JB has no say on the matter or JB wasn't 100%. Nobody runs that ball that much. If I had Emmitt Smith, Jim Brown, and Barry Sanders I wouldn't call 19 run plays out of 20 lmao 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When we ran the ball 19 out of 20 plays something didn't jive with me. It made me think either JB has no say on the matter or JB wasn't 100%. Nobody runs that ball that much. If I had Emmitt Smith, Jim Brown, and Barry Sanders I wouldn't call 19 run plays out of 20 lmao 

RIGHT?

Boston Celtics Laughing GIF by NBA

One thing for sure looking ahead to next year.  Wilkens has fallen way down the depth chart.  If he was going to see action this is the game is where it would happen .  It did not.  I think there is a very good chance he, Quincy, Gaethers and, of course,  Adam are not with the team next year.  

While Brissett is starting to concern me as a QB, I do think it’s fair to point out that it has to be mentioned that we are less than 35 points from being undefeated on the year. 10 games of 7 points or less, 5 wins 5 loses. 

A defense that is allowing less than 15 points per game on average. That will likely go up a tad after last night but not much. 4th  best running team in the league, but our passing game sucks. 29th. With the most drops of any team in the league. So is it WRs or the QB or the game plan? I think it’s all 3.