Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is clear he can throw down field. He did it pretty good in 2017.  Can he learn and improve yes. We also need more playmakers. The WR injury bug has hit hard.

I think getting Funch back will help.  Jacoby and him seemed to have a connection through camp, the pre-season and the Chargers game.  It doesn’t mean I think he will walk and be the second coming of Jerry Rice but I think he will help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He threw two great ball to TY and he dropped them. We played 4 undrafted free agents at WR.  TY was limited. I don’t get what people expect.

I expect him not to take 10 seconds to throw the ball. I expect him to throw the ball away. I expect him to have some sort of accuracy. He is very slow progressing through his reads. He doesn't scramble well, he has a cannon arm and doesn't throw deep. He acts like a game manager when he isn't. He's a bad QB.

I love you as a poster, but you're wrong on Brissett here.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He should play Kelly then like I have posted. If he really thinks JB is bad then why not? After watching that whole game, JB had little opportunity to throw down field because of play calling. I love the run 1st mentality but that was a little much on Reich's part. It is not like JB can't sling it either, dude has a cannon for an arm.

Why are you taking Jared’s post seriously?    Jared wrote that Frank knows JB is a bad QB and doesn’t trust him.   This is the same Frank Reich that has called JB one of the top-20 QB’s in football two years in a row.   Don’t listen to Jared.  He’s always gloom and doom.   

5 weeks left.   Even with a loss to the Saints there are still four winnable games left.   That’s 10-6.  

Have a little faith. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Has nothing to do with being spineless. Has to do with watching for 3 hours, investing our personal time, and watching helplessly as our QB who replaced Luck absolutely looks horrible and the position is a liability. We have no control, so it's a helpless feeling. This is is the 3rd Colts game I've got to watch (Chiefs, Broncos and Texans), and Brissett is terrible. We've had to become a one-dimensional offense to cover up his deficiencies and this team is not fun to watch anymore. 

I agree.  Including the fact that this team is not as much fun to watch, even when they win frankly.  I'm a long time fan so I'll keep watching, but yeah, not as much fun. 

I keep thinking that we could easily be undefeated and a top 3 team if Luck was here with this running game and D.  OK, time to stop torturing myself! 

• Like 1

Brissett is a decent backup QB that wins you a few games if needed but he is not a franchise QB or a QB that wins you a trophy. He is not a playmaker but has some success by avoiding huge mistakes. I somehow hope that Luck comes back after an off year and with full strength otherwise Colts need to draft a QB with potential. I know you don't like it but i hope we lose the rest of the season to get a better pick in the first round.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Brissett is garbage. Time to get a new QB. I don't mind being a running team, but not because Brissett is so awful we have too.

Oscar-

deliveryService?id=NMAH-JN2018-01025-000

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

With me the biggest problem with Brissett is not with the throws he makes and targets he has. It's with the ones he needs to make but doesn't because he doesn't see them or sees them and decides they are too risky, or the ones that he doesn't even get to in his progression because he gets stuck on a primary read and can't let go of it for ages... etc. 

There's an issue somewhere. If the Texans were in zone, receivers should find the soft spots and JB see them. I'll look at All 22 when they release it on game pass.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why are you taking Jared’s post seriously?    Jared wrote that Frank knows JB is a bad QB and doesn’t trust him.   This is the same Frank Reich that has called JB one of the top-20 QB’s in football two years in a row.   Don’t listen to Jared.  He’s always gloom and doom.   

5 weeks left.   Even with a loss to the Saints there are still four winnable games left.   That’s 10-6.  

Have a little faith. 

If Frank trusted Brissett, he wouldn't run the ball 39 times and pass it 25. There's a reason Luck was the centerpiece of the offense under Reich last year and the run game is this year. You should know that was just coach-speak by Reich when he said Brissett was a top 20 QB.

Luck had retired, and he's trying to promote confidence in the fanbase. You think he's going to come out and say Brissett stinks? I don't think so.

Also, I'm not doom and gloom. I'm the most brutally honest poster on this board. When things are good, I'm positive, when they're bad, I'm negative. I don't have an extreme bias one way or the other like many on this board.

26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think getting Funch back will help.  Jacoby and him seemed to have a connection through camp, the pre-season and the Chargers game.  It doesn’t mean I think he will walk and be the second coming of Jerry Rice but I think he will help.

I think Funchess is the kind of player that could of really helped tonight. Everyone can rag on JB but the fact is if he had not got hurt it wouldn’t of mattered if we lost tonight because we would of won the two with hoyer.

I don’t over react. This will be a learning experience and we will see what happens. There were also Wr on the field and need to see if they failed to execute also. 

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Have a little faith. 

After Luck retired nothing phases me, that was the biggest kick to the nuts of all-time lmao . After the Colts won the SB in 2006 and the Cubs won the WS in 2016, I have pretty much been content as a whole.  I have more faith than most in here do in JB so we will see what happens. Tonight was just upsetting at times but that will always be the fan in me haha 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He threw two great ball to TY and he dropped them. We played 4 undrafted free agents at WR.  TY was limited. I don’t get what people expect.

Both passes to TY were terrible. Both were late. If he hits TY coming out of break the defender not a factor. The second pass was shorty. JB brings the defender back into play. 

• Like 1

Here is the bigger question. Why was he throwing it all over in 2017. When watching tape I noticed he had a good connection with moncrief and threw it deep to Hilton just fine. Something is not clicking with Reich and the lack of having WR to stretch the field hurts. Ty is getting old.  We need to do some serious upgrading at WR and Jacoby needs to work on his game a lot in the off season. 

52 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the bigger question. Why was he throwing it all over in 2017. When watching tape I noticed he had a good connection with moncrief and threw it deep to Hilton just fine. Something is not clicking with Reich and the lack of having WR to stretch the field hurts. Ty is getting old.  We need to do some serious upgrading at WR and Jacoby needs to work on his game a lot in the off season. 

That's false, his passing was worse across the board in 2017. Worse ANY/A (somehow!). 

Kinda plain the reason, the 2017 roster wasn't as good, this year is better. It's damning if you need your QB propping up by the roster, rather than them lifting up the roster on the rising tide. 

The WR argument is old and debunked, guys get open, he's late to see them, even later to throw to them. Let me ask you a question, can you guess what the Saints, 49ers and Pats have in common? Yep they've had more drops by their receivers than us. Even the Texans have more than us, crack receiving unit that they are. 

Is there still chance of improvement? Sure. Is it likely? Looking less so every time we see the same stuff. He's a QB who won't lose you games, won't win you games, ends up around 50%. Great for a backup, not so great for a starter. 

• Like 1

I’m tired of screaming “throw it” at my TV on every pass, JB holds the ball way to long on every pass play. His throws are not accurate either. Also has no touch on the ball, passes are dropped cause he fires it when it’s not needed. At this point he is not the answer or the future. But the play calling was WAY to predictable. And as some pointed out here no play action, why? Peyton was great because he was obsessed with the game and all the little nuances. JB needs some qb coaching....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

I can’t tell if it’s Brissett not making the correct reads and holding onto the ball or the offensive line is really struggling to pass protect.

Both.  I don't review film, so I can't say for certain, but it just feels like he goes to the checkdown too quickly.  And the pass protection hasn't been good recently.  Castonzo and Smith were getting beat constantly last night

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don't know about here...but there are people on the Colts subreddit doing that very thing...as well as throwing the entire WR group under the bus.

dude that sub is full of blind homers they only like JB for his stupid meme potential. the dude us a great backup but that's where he should stay.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He should play Kelly then like I have posted. If he really thinks JB is bad then why not? After watching that whole game, JB had little opportunity to throw down field because of play calling. I love the run 1st mentality but that was a little much on Reich's part. It is not like JB can't sling it either, dude has a cannon for an arm.

yes he has a canon but he is scared to throw down field for some reason. 

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

why do you and so many think our top 3 or 4 WRs need to be 1st and 2nd round picks?? most teams are lucky to have one 1st rounder and maybe a 2nd the rest will be lower picks or undrafted. 

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Frank trusted Brissett, he wouldn't run the ball 39 times and pass it 25. There's a reason Luck was the centerpiece of the offense under Reich last year and the run game is this year. You should know that was just coach-speak by Reich when he said Brissett was a top 20 QB.

Luck had retired, and he's trying to promote confidence in the fanbase. You think he's going to come out and say Brissett stinks? I don't think so.

Also, I'm not doom and gloom. I'm the most brutally honest poster on this board. When things are good, I'm positive, when they're bad, I'm negative. I don't have an extreme bias one way or the other like many on this board.

I hope you are right because it gives me hope we will get another option for next year.  However, I actually think Reich believes what he says, or is at least trying to convince himself.  Look how he talks about Vinny.  Does anyone feel comfortable after we score that something as simple as the PAT will be successful?

If this carries on too much longer he will become our marriota.  I love Frank, but I question his personnel choices and decision making.

• Like 1

I'm beyond tired of JB looking at the dump off pass and instead of throwing it while the RB (or whoever) is open and could've had great YAC, he'll look down the field some more (holding the ball way too long) and then if nobody's WIDE OPEN he'll finally throw to the dump off pass.....which by then the defender has figured out the RB was open and has closed the gap. 

Absolutely maddening

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW here is my take on JB and his passing. If you watch other good QBs what you see us they throw to a spot, and trust the receiver to catch the ball. JB throws to the man. It's a subtle difference, but significant. On all but one of Watson big throw tonight he put the ball in the air in the direction of the intended receiver and they went and got it. In three of his longest throws the receiver actually had to dive to catch it. Not pin point passes to a receiver, accurate passes to a spot predetermined by the play call. In JB's case he aims his passes to the man he's throwing to. If the man is open when the ball gets to him he usually catches it, but often times the receiver has to slow down or stop to wait for the ball giving the D time to react. If the man is not open he often times doesn't even throw it. I don't know if he doesn't trust his receivers or he doesn't trust himself.  I also don't know if it is something that can be changed. But if watch any of your effective QBs you'll notice this. They don't throw their receivers open, and they don't aim for the receiver per se, they put the ball where the play tells them to and expect the receiver to make a catch.

6 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

It's not that our receivers can't get open, need a QB to get it to them.

This has to be the biggest question. Is it the wrs or qb not seeing them? It is excrutiating and frustrating to watch. TY did have a couple of crucial drops, though very contested. Imo he wasnt targeted near enough to get him in the flow. wth is going on?:wall:

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

No. I'm saying the team goes as the coach says. Plain & simple. They have an excellent RB and a good QB so who gets the ball?

No, we have a great running offense and an average to below average QB. We are a one dimensional team unless Jacoby hits his ceiling every single game and has everyone else  is playing midtake free.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post. I was referencing the future with Jacoby as QB has a very limited ceiling for our offense moving forward. Regardless of our RB situation. 

When all you have is a decent QB and a good oline, you have no offense.

We're not going to get the franchise QB, so we better get used to needing  good players in many positions, not just at G, C, LT and WLB.

But we lost because we could not defend Houston's deep ball, for whatever reason.

ZazaI have been a JB supporter throughout this year, but I am starting to lose faith in his abilities. The waiting for his guys to get open is a big deal, because in the NFL, if you dont throw it where your WR is going to be open, your window of opportunity is already gone by the time you see it unfold. 

JB doesn't seem to have Anticipation of his WRs coming open. Everything else is at an acceptable level. His Pocket awareness is good enough. Hes hard to bring down. He brings a real definition of the term "Lazer, Rocket arm" to the table. He can scramble. Hes overall safe with the ball. 

All these things dont matter if you're missing your windows of opportunity. JB doesn't trust himself to make that throw. Hes playing scared of the interception, and its hindering his progress. You gotta sling it to see the progression of the play in real time. 

Frank Reich has to know this is happening. I'm not going to say JB cant get better in this area. But I'm losing faith that he can. We will know over the next year and a half. I would be fine with drafting a guy and letting him sit behind JB for a year. Theres no way Ballard is content with the level of QB play when hes constantly evaluating the roster. 

5 minutes ago, FRW said:

FWIW here is my take on JB and his passing. If you watch other good QBs what you see us they throw to a spot, and trust the receiver to catch the ball. JB throws to the man. It's a subtle difference, but significant. On all but one of Watson big throw tonight he put the ball in the air in the direction of the intended receiver and they went and got it. In three of his longest throws the receiver actually had to dive to catch it. Not pin point passes to a receiver, accurate passes to a spot predetermined by the play call. In JB's case he aims his passes to the man he's throwing to. If the man is open when the ball gets to him he usually catches it, but often times the receiver has to slow down or stop to wait for the ball giving the D time to react. If the man is not open he often times doesn't even throw it. I don't know if he doesn't trust his receivers or he doesn't trust himself.  I also don't know if it is something that can be changed. But if watch any of your effective QBs you'll notice this. They don't throw their receivers open, and they don't aim for the receiver per se, they put the ball where the play tells them to and expect the receiver to make a catch.

Really like this take man. Would add that the effective qbs you allude to arent just elite nfl qbs. Goes for every level of play. Even college qbs can do the things you mentioned within their offenses.

I think we lack a true reliable X reciever. Someone that has good size with excellent route running and hands. TY was that guy with Luck even though he hadnt the size, they had that telepathic understanding between each other. 

Jacoby doesnt have a reciever like that. He will never have the same relationship with Hilton, like Luck had. Parris Campbell is a slot, not a X. I think going forward Ballard needs to get Jacoby that go to reciever, similar the way Watson has Hopkins, Brady has Edelman, etc, etc.

8 hours ago, colt18 said:

You guys realize he put the football right in Hilton's hands twice and he dropped both balls right? Ebron had a bad drop as well.

I agree that Brissett needs to improve but this loss isn't all on him. Reich didn't call the best game. Hilton/Ebron didn't make catch all their targets or fight for yardage. The defense left Hopkins wide open and got burned on single coverage matchups.

It was a bad game.

What game did you watch? Ebron didn't drop a single ball

44 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

ZazaI have been a JB supporter throughout this year, but I am starting to lose faith in his abilities. The waiting for his guys to get open is a big deal, because in the NFL, if you dont throw it where your WR is going to be open, your window of opportunity is already gone by the time you see it unfold. 

TY was not open on at least two of his targets.  Its not really a matter of not throwing to guys who aren't open.  I think its simply not trusting the other guys outside of TY and Doyle.

And I agree.