Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

12 hours ago, MTC said:

People need to know that with Brissett at QB, you barely have any sort of vertical passing attack. 

The vertical passing attack is why Texans had success on offense. 

They had a great passing attack because for whatever reason your coach never took their number one receiver away.

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Look at this play. Only one receiver is looking back at the QB. JB was sacked on this play.

If the receiver is looking back at you and you still have not released the ball (on most routes) chances are you've already missed your passing window within the progression.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I'm not sure about that. Do you have stats to back up this statement? The flaw that I saw with JB when he first joined us was that he had no touch. Everything was a laser beam, thrown as hard as possible. The coaches have clearly worked with him in that regard and this problem has improved a lot. I think that his problem now is that he can't plant and move properly with that clunky brace on this knee.

He didn’t seen to show any of those problems last week. He didn’t have to do a lot in the jags game but the plays he made were just fine. Maybe there is some merit of it being a short week.

6 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I'm not sure about that. Do you have stats to back up this statement? The flaw that I saw with JB when he first joined us was that he had no touch. Everything was a laser beam, thrown as hard as possible. The coaches have clearly worked with him in that regard and this problem has improved a lot. I think that his problem now is that he can't plant and move properly with that clunky brace on this knee.

No it's not about stats.  The problem is he's not anticipating receivers being open after the breaks, he's too late to recognize when a receiver will be open and when he finally recognizes it, the opposing side is already closing the window because Jacoby stares waiting for the right time to throw.

@stitches had it right, Deshaun Watson is not even the great in this regard, and you can still see the significant difference between Watson and JB.  JB had this issue dating back to 2017.  It was evident in the first game, and I haven't seen really any improvement either in that regard.  That's the biggest reason he doesn't throw many passes downfield. Unless his first read gets open on a down field route, it's check down to a TE or RB <5 yards past the LOS.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This whole chunk verbiage has screwed with JBs head.  If the coach is calling those plays as explosive it's nfw JB is defaulting to that frame of mind. Coach has been quoted saying JB has the green light to change the call at the Los.  So on one hand the coach has drilled in a little to hard on what he wants the that a young impressionable QB is unable to adjust and in the other play calling is all on JB and deserves the long talk he got from coach. 

• Like 1

Just now, JimJaime said:

Had a drop by Hilton that hurt at the end of the game.. two passes to him were perfect and he just failed make the catch.. it happens!

The first wasn't 15 yards I don't think.  I think it was close, but the first down marker was like 7 yards if memory serves.  The other was 15 yards but dropped and then the deep pass to TY that wasn't even close.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

If the receiver is looking back at you and you still have not released the ball (on most routes) chances are you've already missed your passing window within the progression.

Not only that, the picture is totally wihtout context.  It looks like they are still executing their first route.  

• Like 1

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

The first wasn't 15 yards I don't think.  I think it was close, but the first down marker was like 7 yards if memory serves.  The other was 15 yards but dropped and then the deep pass to TY that wasn't even close.

The one broken up by the 35 year old CB?  Was right there and  he had it for a second that was like 35 yards down field. Hilton makes that grab 99 out of 100 times.. if nothing else gets the team into FG range.

8 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Had a drop by Hilton that hurt at the end of the game.. two passes to him were perfect and he just failed make the catch.. it happens!

I agree that Hilton had two drops.

I think the throw on the out route was late, and behind. Hilton came out of his break, was open for a second, and had to slow down his route, allowing the defender to tip the ball. It was still catchable, (difficult to catch) but we’ve seen TY make those in the past.

The back-shoulder pass was very good. TY didn’t catch it cleanly on initial contact and that allowed the DB to make a play on the ball. That was a drop by TY on a good pass by JB.

1 minute ago, JimJaime said:

The one broken up by the 35 year old CB?  Was right there and  he had it for a second that was like 35 yards down field. Hilton makes that grab 99 out of 100 times.. if nothing else gets the team into FG range.

Yeah he should have had that.  I didn't remember that it was 35 yards, but I knew it was over 15, which is what I meant.

Just now, Flash7 said:

I agree that Hilton had two drops.

I think the throw on the out route was late, and behind. Hilton came out of his break, was open for a second, and had to slow down his route, allowing the defender to tip the ball. It was still catchable, (difficult to catch) but we’ve seen TY make those in the past.

The back-shoulder pass very good. TY didn’t catch it cleanly on initial contact and that allowed the DB to make a play on the ball. That was a drop by TY in a good pass by JB.

Ya it was a little short but not unusual for that to happen Hilton makes that grab most times.. last night wasn’t the Colts night, I mean it was obvious the game plan wasn’t to pass it but to run it down their throats

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He didn’t seen to show any of those problems last week. He didn’t have to do a lot in the jags game but the plays he made were just fine. Maybe there is some merit of it being a short week.

They played zone.  Brissett has no anticipation.  It was funny but when Luck retired, Lombardi broke down Brissett.  He didn't hate on him but he said back then that Brissett lacks anticipation.  It is sure apparent 11 games in that he was right.

Once Funchess and Campbell come back, we need to rely more on our pass game and see what we got there the rest of the season. It could be that Hilton was injured and that Pascal/Rogers cant get open, but at a minimum, a super bowl caliber QB needs to at least be able to handle/punish the soft zone. Very concerning an awful Houston Pass D didnt get punished there even a bit

Also, I find the level of accolades Watson has received even from our fans to be a bit strange. The first Td he had was dumb, and the second was a great throw, but he wasn't much of a threat for most of the game.  We almost beat them without a passing game to speak of. Not saying he didnt produce, but if hes the biggest QB threat the Colts have to face for the next decade in the AFC South, I'm good with it. Luck was 10x the QB that guy is and got a whole lot less praise by the media last year haha

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They played zone.  Brissett has no anticipation.  It was funny but when Luck retired, Lombardi broke down Brissett.  He didn't hate on him but he said back then that Brissett lacks anticipation.  It is sure apparent 11 games in that he was right.

There is a lot more to anticipation then just the QB. Without seeing actual video from the all 22 it’s hard to tell if it was all the QB or some of that is the WR. Believe it or not young WR have trouble in zone. 

5 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Also, I find the level of accolades Watson has received even from our fans to be a bit strange. The first Td he had was dumb, and the second was a great throw, but he wasn't much of a threat for most of the game.  We almost beat them without a passing game to speak of. Not saying he didnt produce, but if hes the biggest QB threat the Colts have to face for the next decade in the AFC South, I'm good with it. Luck was 10x the QB that guy is and got a whole lot less praise by the media last year haha

I think he gets to much praise. He is still very young and I think people forget that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Once Funchess and Campbell come back, we need to rely more on our pass game and see what we got there the rest of the season. It could be that Hilton was injured and that Pascal/Rogers cant get open, but at a minimum, a super bowl caliber QB needs to at least be able to handle/punish the soft zone. Very concerning an awful Houston Pass D didnt get punished there even a bit

Games like last night a guy like DF could really of been a difference. He would of been used in the bully slot and those kind of plays can get 10-15 yards. We will get some speed with Campbell returning. It was a bad time to lose TY and Parris on top of losing Jacoby for 1.5 games.

"We have one he's on the practice squad, We have one he's on the practice squad, We have one he's on the practice squad, We have one he's on the practice squad."

Good point and how long has been on the practice squad with no interest from any other team? You'd think somebody would be interested in stealing the next HOF QB from our PS. Geez Cain didn't last a week. This Kelly adoration is  almost pathological at this point. He played well against guys bagging groceries at Walmart right now. Denver can't find a QB and they canned him last year. Clemson canned him his first year in college. We waived him and he had no takers. It's funny to read all these gushing comments about a guy who has never played in a meaningful NFL game and who has sat unmolested on our PS for 12 weeks.

There maybe other QBs better than JB in the draft or FA, but swag boy isn't one of them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FRW said:

"We have one he's on the practice squad, We have one he's on the practice squad, We have one he's on the practice squad, We have one he's on the practice squad."

Good point and how long has been on the practice squad with no interest from any other team? You'd think somebody would be interested in stealing the next HOF QB from our PS. Geez Cain didn't last a week. This Kelly adoration is  almost pathological at this point. He played well against guys bagging groceries at Walmart right now. Denver can't find a QB and they canned him last year. Clemson canned him his first year in college. We waived him and he had no takers. It's funny to read all these gushing comments about a guy who has never played in a meaningful NFL game and who has sat unmolested on our PS for 12 weeks.

There maybe other QBs better than JB in the draft or FA, but swag boy isn't one of them.

Thanks for your insight.  The next time I buy a lottery ticket I would love some of that crystal ball magic you got going on. 

Seriously people get over your hatred for Ck.  This is Riecks protege.  He would not be on the team if coach didn't think he had a chance to be good

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I am so tired of hearing about Funch coming back. he has literally done nothing for the colts yet people on here act like we are getting prime Marvin Harrison back. I like the guy but damn let's wait and see he could be a total bust on the colts.

He's most likely better than Rodgers and Pascal and provides an element to the WR corps we dont have atm. It's not as much hype surrounding  him as it just wanting a general upgrade to our worst performing part of the team atm. 

Also, once he and Campbell come back, Jacoby will have zero excuses if he turns in a game like this one haha

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

We are going to get our WRs back and the passing game is going to start humming but by then its going to be too little to late. We'll be wondering what if

Who is coming back exactly? Funch? He alone wont make Brissett competent

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He's blaming JB and rightfully so for not executing better (missing open guys), but he also needs to take a look in the mirror and ask why he went the opposite direction of the game one game plan.

They played zone man.  YOu can't do what we did in Indy against zone.  

Just now, Nickster said:

They played zone man.  YOu can't do what we did in Indy against zone.  

You'll see when some publish some all-22s, that there were plenty of open WRs... 

You can attack a zone. You attack it differently than man, but it's not like some impenetrable scheme.

And man or zone, they are one of the worst passing Ds in the league. And missing arguably their best DB, and 3 others playing banged up.

31 minutes ago, Blindside said:

Thanks for your insight.  The next time I buy a lottery ticket I would love some of that crystal ball magic you got going on. 

Seriously people get over your hatred for Ck.  This is Riecks protege.  He would not be on the team if coach didn't think he had a chance to be good

He's behind Jacoby Brissett and Brian Hoyer man, that's all you need to know. Frank Reich and Chris Ballard have been doing this their entire adult lives, and doing it well, you don't think they have the recognition to see if we have a starting QB already on the roster, on the practice squad? Seriously? Man, you guys are unreal. Same people that keep buying $30 worth of Powerball tickets every week, because "Somebody has to win".