Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where's Funchess???

Smoke317

Isn't he nearing the point where he has to be activated or placed on I.R. for the rest of the year?  Is he not healing properly?  I called for us to go get him after last season.  I'm gonna be very disappointed if he doesn't come back and try to play.  He better not be making "business decisions" while the team is out there competing for the division...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Have you not been reading the tweets and other info related on him?  He's got to be cleared by the docs.

No hadn't heard that.  Not too big on Twitter.  So he's still injured.  Let's hope he makes it back.  We could use him down the stretch.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

No hadn't heard that.  Not too big on Twitter.  So he's still injured.  Let's hope he makes it back.  We could use him down the stretch.  

He's been practicing but they have to recheck his collarbone and make sure its healed.  I'm expecting we will hear something today. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Isn't he nearing the point where he has to be activated or placed on I.R. for the rest of the year?  Is he not healing properly?  I called for us to go get him after last season.  I'm gonna be very disappointed if he doesn't come back and try to play.  He better not be making "business decisions" while the team is out there competing for the division...

he was 2 weeks from today to be put on the active roster, or revert back to the IR for rest of the season.

56 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

there's been articles all over about it, not just on twitter.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I know you guys aren't being "too" rough, but remember, some people come to this forum to get their Colts updates.   Like me, I don't do Twitter.  I don't live in Indy where there is always a radio station talking Colts football.   

I'm guessing Smoke was just using this forum for some info.  

Thanks Myles. Krunk did get a little Crunk there with me. Lol. I just hope he comes back. JB showed tremendous trust in him in game 1. I don't think it'll take them long to get their chemistry back.  Good to know we still have time.  Titans game may be questionable though. 

• Like 1

I honestly dont think there's anything to be gained by adding him. He hasnt practiced with the team, he has no reps in the offense, this was his first year with the Colts so there's nothing for him to pick back up. I think we saw all we were going to see in game 1. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ColtV said:

I honestly dont think there's anything to be gained by adding him. He hasnt practiced with the team, he has no reps in the offense, this was his first year with the Colts so there's nothing for him to pick back up. I think we saw all we were going to see in game 1. 

Huh. He has been practicing the last two weeks. He was with the team all through spring and camp. Not sure where your getting that from. Getting him back is important for both the colts and DF. Can he prove enough the last five games to make the colts want to bring him back. Gives them another weapon they are clearly missing.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ColtV said:

no

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtV said:

Thankfully you're not calling the shots. We have about the worst WRs in the league right now and you don't want to bring back the clear #2.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ColtV said:

That makes very little sense.

As @ColtsLegacy said, without TY/Funch/Campbell we have one of the worst WR groups in the NFL.  

If TY comes back, there will only be so much Pascal can do to prevent teams from doing all they can to take TY out of our game plan.  With a healthy Funch (and Campbell) we can at least keep other teams on their toes, whether that means we prevent them from stacking the box to open up our run game even further or whether it means we open up our passing game to more than the dink and dunk which it pretty much has been, it is a good thing.

Funch is a veteran NFL WR, he had a full offseason with the Colts and has been around the team's facilities since his injury.  It's also a collarbone injury which is typically one of the easiest injuries to come back from and not miss a beat (I've broken mine 3 times and each time was still able to keep my cardio up, it's not even close to having a guy come back from a knee/ankle injury).

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

If I remember correctly, Funchess is on a one year deal. Considering that he's been injured almost the entire year, and assuming Ballard still likes his skill set, he would be very cheap to resign. You can't ask for a whole lot of money when you barely played.

8 hours ago, Ratking said:

A clear bust... Not a #2. 

How is he a bust? Injuries happen, you can't do anything about it. He could still be the number two. Plus the collarbone can take a long time to heal, there's nothing more painful than a hurt collarbone considering your pads rest right on it.

I don't how you call someone a bust when they've played 3/4 of a game

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ColtV said:

I disagree.  Funchess is big and experienced.   For the life of me, I cannot remember the play but in game one he made a catch that impressed the heck out of me.   We need weapons in the receiving crew and he would add to it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Thankfully you're not calling the shots. We have about the worst WRs in the league right now and you don't want to bring back the clear #2.

Ah yes how could I have missed how dominant he was in his one game with the Colts...3 catches for 32 yards!!! And he was such a hot commodity coming in to the team!

We do agree on one thing, our receiving corps is poor, but it was coming into this season. Devin Funchess has shown in his professional and college career to have the look of a guy who should dominate, but doesn't. 

5 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Ah yes how could I have missed how dominant he was in his one game with the Colts...3 catches for 32 yards!!! And he was such a hot commodity coming in to the team!

We do agree on one thing, our receiving corps is poor, but it was coming into this season. Devin Funchess has shown in his professional and college career to have the look of a guy who should dominate, but doesn't. 

I don't know about that.  I was pretty thrilled with the way the receiving corps looked coming into the season.  

Hilton

Funchess

Campbell

Pascal

Rogers

Fountain

Ebron

Doyle

Alie-Cox

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Myles said:

exactly. Not everyone can be here a hour or more everyday.And check in once a week or so.

19 hours ago, Myles said:

I know you guys aren't being "too" rough, but remember, some people come to this forum to get their Colts updates.   Like me, I don't do Twitter.  I don't live in Indy where there is always a radio station talking Colts football.   

I'm guessing Smoke was just using this forum for some info.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I disagree.  Funchess is big and experienced.   For the life of me, I cannot remember the play but in game one he made a catch that impressed the heck out of me.   We need weapons in the receiving crew and he would add to it.  

the one handed TD catch on which he got hurt on in game 1?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

The catch against the Chargers in clutch time where he fought like crazy to get out of bounds. That play impressed me too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ColtV said:

:scratch:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColtV said:

Right, our receiving corps is poor. And, whether you like Funchess or not, no WR on this team (save for TY, duh) is even close to Funchess level, currently. 

But, by all means, leave Funchess on IR, just because. Makes perfect sense.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, Smoke317 said:

This feels like there is an “or else” sentiment to your post. As in he better not be making a business decision or else. 

So what is the “or else?”

20 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This feels like there is an “or else” sentiment to your post. As in he better not be making a business decision or else. 

So what is the “or else?”

As I stated in the post, I'm gonna be very disappointed.  I was one of the, if not the, first person(s) that said we were going to and should go after Funchess when last season ended.  Even more so than the receiver who went to the Raiders from the Chargers.  So I would take it kind of personally if the guy I clamored for, despite some stats suggesting he had drop issues and wasn't that good, being basically a waste of an acquisition. 

Also, it would not look good on his resume.  To not attempt to come back (if it were at all possible) wouldn't be a good look.  Especially, being on a team that's contending for the division.  I actually feel for the guy though.  His behavior in camp seemed like that of a guy who felt very comfortable in this organization.  I'm sure he wants to leave his mark here and maybe even establish some roots. 

I'm probably being unfairly hard on him because the team really could use him on the field down the stretch.  I hope he comes back and balls out and secures a respectable 2-3 year contract with us.

47 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

As I stated in the post, I'm gonna be very disappointed.  I was one of the, if not the, first person(s) that said we were going to and should go after Funchess when last season ended.  Even more so than the receiver who went to the Raiders from the Chargers.  So I would take it kind of personally if the guy I clamored for, despite some stats suggesting he had drop issues and wasn't that good, being basically a waste of an acquisition. 

Also, it would not look good on his resume.  To not attempt to come back (if it were at all possible) wouldn't be a good look.  Especially, being on a team that's contending for the division.  I actually feel for the guy though.  His behavior in camp seemed like that of a guy who felt very comfortable in this organization.  I'm sure he wants to leave his mark here and maybe even establish some roots. 

I'm probably being unfairly hard on him because the team really could use him on the field down the stretch.  I hope he comes back and balls out and secures a respectable 2-3 year contract with us.

You would take it personally?  Do you think your opinion influenced Ballard to sign him?

The rest of your post has words.  Not many of them make sense but the words are there.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

It was like fourth and ten on the drive that tied the game and sent it to OT. JB made a needle throw on the sideline that Funchess caught for a first down. He helped save that game, at least for OT

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ratking said:

A clear bust... Not a #2. 

He was signed to a 1 year contract, so it's not like we invested a whole lot of time into him.  I think he was brought in with the possibility of being a long term solution, but with little expectations on him to be great.  He's not a 'clear bust'.  It'd be nice if he wasn't injured, but until we see him healthy, we can't label him as a bust.  Additionally, collarbones (unless there is ligament damage around the shoulder) are time-consuming to come back from but very rarely have long-term effects on performance like a knee injury may.

6 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

How is he a bust? Injuries happen, you can't do anything about it. He could still be the number two. Plus the collarbone can take a long time to heal, there's nothing more painful than a hurt collarbone considering your pads rest right on it.

I don't how you call someone a bust when they've played 3/4 of a game

Yes, collarbones take a long time to heal but like I said above, at least it's not like a Deon Cain type of thing where after the player is cleared to play it may take a full year or 2 (or maybe it will never happen) for them to be back at full strength.  If Funchess was eating healthy and doing lower body/core workouts and some cardio (biking, etc.), it should take him very little time to be back at peak form.

Cant agree with DF being a disappointment. The injury sure was though, we have really needed him this year, and the fact he is on a prove it deal for like 10mil. Can he show enough when he comes back? We will see. If the FO goes another direction theres a dude plays ball 100 miles north of Indy, names Claypool, on my draft board, would be an upgrade.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, ColtV said:

Coach said he was a huge part of our offensive game plan and he had desigened alot of plays specially for him . 

6 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Right, our receiving corps is poor. And, whether you like Funchess or not, no WR on this team (save for TY, duh) is even close to Funchess level, currently. 

But, by all means, leave Funchess on IR, just because. Makes perfect sense.

His level? Oh that's rich. Are you a close family member?