Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grover Stewart has been a major boost to the Colts defense in 2019

krunk

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You have to know that most people here have no idea how good or how not so good Stewart is.   None.

I’d guess most people here think Stewart is a big disappointment.   

I can confirm this. Stewart is invisible to me. How's he playing this year? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have to know that most people here have no idea how good or how not so good Stewart is.   None.

I’d guess most people here think Stewart is a big disappointment.   

I've quietly known, but I do believe you are right.  That's why I posted it here because most people think he sucks.  Right after the Jaguars game I was watching the celebration and Reich called him out the crowd by name and talked him up in front of everybody. Reich said that he dominated and played just like he practiced the whole week.  He said "Big Grover" what did we say the word for the week is?  Grover replied "Indominable".  Reich said that's what happens when we play like we practice. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, ever since he took over the starting job he’s helped our run D immensely. It went from a huge weakness to being what I’d consider a strength. We pretty consistently stuff runs at or around the line of scrimmage now.

Good for him too. Ballard said at the beginning of the season that this was a make or break year for him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, krunk said:

I've quietly known, but I do believe you are right.  That's why I posted it here because most people think he sucks.  Right after the Jaguars game I was watching the celebration and Reich called him out the crowd by name and talked him up in front of everybody. Reich said that he dominated and played just like he practiced the whole week.  He said "Big Grover" what did we say the word for the week is?  Grover replied "Indominable".  Reich said that's what happens when we play like we practice. 

This is a great post, Krunk!

Appreciate you making it!      :worthy:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think Grover is a great example of a later round guy who doesn't necessarily flash but does a lot of the dirty work well.

Been a lot of talk about what makes for a good tilt at a SB, guys like this and depth players help a lot but don't always get the plaudits.

Yeah, you have to hope to hit on guys like him.  His measurables were amazing.... He just had never played against peers before being in the League.... Glad they snagged a guy who took his opportunity and looks to be earning and working his way to the upper heights of his profession.  Nice to see, and yet another young guy the staff is successfully developing, to answer those that nasay in re to such topics around here.

Seems Hunt was a one year wonder then. It’ll be interesting to see if the team rolls with him in the future and he gets an extension. I still think we need a pass rushing 3-tech though. Maybe draft someone to play next to Grov.

I’m on record as saying that I thought Grove was just depth. Perhaps I was wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Even with Grover being an improved player, DT is still this team’s biggest need next year in my opinion. 

Agreed. But it appears a 3-tech that can rush the passer and play the run is needed more than a NT. Basically the Colts need a Javon Kinlaw or Marvin Wilson more than they do a Raekwon Davis is what I’m saying.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Do you think if we told you it would cover the whole year?

I'm not following. I feel like your question is incomplete. I'm just curious if the clips are from both good and bad plays. Things he does well and things he can improve on etc..

He's been a great boost. I still think we need upgrades along the DL, but he's absolutely an improvement on rushing downs. Big DTs/NTs rarely get respect because they are taking out the garbage on run plays instead of getting the glory for hitting the QB. He makes it a lot easier for LBs to clean up.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Seems Hunt was a one year wonder then. It’ll be interesting to see if the team rolls with him in the future and he gets an extension. I still think we need a pass rushing 3-tech though. Maybe draft someone to play next to Grov.

I’m on record as saying that I thought Grove was just depth. Perhaps I was wrong.

An example of a player that takes 2-3 years to develop.

This poor writer is unfortunately CLUELESS about Big, Gigantic 330lb Grover.
 In camp it was a Big point that the "New" Grover had slimed to 315.
 For anyone watching since the start of the season, he looks like he has lost a few more pounds.
 That said, Grover has been getting better and better these last 3-4 games. He has been stout and disruptive. No way Ballard stands still as both interior DT positions will require more competition next off season with an ageing Hunt and Autry in his last contract year.

• Like 4

Just want to pat myself on the back.  I've been talking about Stewart for quite a while now.  I think he officially moved into the starting lineup week 3.  Even after a couple of preseason games I talked about how impressive Stewart was.  The best Dline for the past 3 weeks has been Houston Stewart Hunt and Sheard.  Sheard and Houston do a great job of setting the edge and Hunt and Stewart tie up the rest of the line to keep the LBers clean on running plays.  On passing plays, Hunt and Stewart occupy enough blockers that often, Houston and Sheard have one on one battles to provide pressure on the QB.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Just want to pat myself on the back.  I've been talking about Stewart for quite a while now.  I think he officially moved into the starting lineup week 3.  Even after a couple of preseason games I talked about how impressive Stewart was.  The best Dline for the past 3 weeks has been Houston Stewart Hunt and Sheard.  Sheard and Houston do a great job of setting the edge and Hunt and Stewart tie up the rest of the line to keep the LBers clean on running plays.  On passing plays, Hunt and Stewart occupy enough blockers that often, Houston and Sheard have one on one battles to provide pressure on the QB.

I thought that last year Hunt excelled when playing next to Woods. Now that Stewart has settled in, going forward for the rest of the year, maybe we'll see more of the Hunt from last year

22 hours ago, egg said:

I thought that last year Hunt excelled when playing next to Woods. Now that Stewart has settled in, going forward for the rest of the year, maybe we'll see more of the Hunt from last year

I think people's expectations of Hunt are inflated because he started off last year and got 4 or 5 sacks in the first 3 games.  To me that was more the outlier, he is more of a space occupier than a pass rusher, so I think most fans will always be disappointed because he's not getting the sacks.  Also I think the team is being smart with him and limiting his snaps to 40 or less and taking him out in obvious passing situations.

That being said, I think the last 4 games he has been as effective as he was last year.  If offenses double team him he holds his ground.  If they single block him he is playing on the other side of the LOS and forcing RBs to change their path or forcing QBs to move around or outside the pocket.

If a fan is looking for stats they will be disappointed in Hunt, if they are looking at his play and the effect he has for the guys around and behind him they will be pleased.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think people's expectations of Hunt are inflated because he started off last year and got 4 or 5 sacks in the first 3 games.  

I was thinking more about tackles for loss.

Last year the Colts were #2 in the NFL in tackling runners for loss with 108.

Hunt had 14. Along with Sheard, Autry, Walker, and Leonard, Colts were constantly getting into the backfield.

I thought Woods clogging the middle had a lot to do with it.

1 minute ago, egg said:

I was thinking more about tackles for loss.

Last year the Colts were #2 in the NFL in tackling runners for loss with 108.

Hunt had 14. Along with Sheard, Autry, Walker, and Leonard, Colts were constantly getting into the backfield.

I thought Woods clogging the middle had a lot to do with it.

Woods played well for the Colts last year no doubt.  But he was not the sole reason for the D playing well, especially against the run.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Woods played well for the Colts last year no doubt.  But he was not the sole reason for the D playing well, especially against the run.

Of course not. I just listed 5 guys that played lights out against the run?

Are you low on caffeine? haha

Anyway, I'm glad Stewart is playing well. The Colts really need him. I'll try and notice him more tonight.

Stewart has been solid...and the run defense really changed once Sheard was fully healthy. 

However...part of this run defense tranformation is that they played Kalen Ballage and Jaylen Samuels in consecutive weeks. They are still #23 in DVOA...but climbing.

I was really happy to see them shut down Fournette again...they just seem to have his number.