Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fan Perspective.

Scott Pennock

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

At 10 games deep how many fans, even the most optimistic like myself, would believe the Colts would be leading the division and in the thick of the playoff race in spite of the following:

Lucks surprise retirement.

Brissett missing 85% of 1 game and another full game.

Our All-Pro LB missing 3 games.

Our #1 Speed Rusher missing 6 games and counting.

Our Pro-Bowl WR missing 4 games (so far).

Our #2 WR out for 9+ games and counting

Our #3 WR out for 5+ games and counting for fluke injuries (hammy, abdominal, and fractured hand).

Leading the league in drops.

Every team can complain about injuries and drop off in play, etc., etc. Not a lot of locker rooms could endure the embarrassment of being left at the alter by a coach last year and then the sudden retirement of their Franchise QB the year after. We, as fans, should never doubt this teams resiliency or their heart - not to mention the organisational attitude from Ballard down and the coaching staffs reinforcement of said attitude.

The positives we are seeing the rookie defensive players growing and developing into starter and/or valued depth pieces. Rock, Okereke, Willis, Tell, Taylor, Banogu. 

Additionally, seeing the growth of other young guys on the defense like Turay, Stewart, Muhammad and the added dimension of Hooker playing in the box is what is making this defense click right now.

On offense, with all the attrition at WR we've discovered a solid possession receiver in Pascal, and potentially a big bodied deep threat in Johnson that we thought we were getting in Cain. Should make the stretch run exciting with the potential of Funchess and T.Y. added back into the passing game. 

Sadly, I think Mack is done for the year due to the fractured hand, so hopefully Hines, Wilkins and Williams pick up the slack (collectively).

Just a bit of perspective in this (mostly) up and down season.

the coaches have them playing as a team not as superstars do for personal stats

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

At 10 games deep how many fans, even the most optimistic like myself, would believe the Colts would be leading the division and in the thick of the playoff race in spite of the following:

Our #3 WR out for 5+ games and counting for fluke injuries (hammy, abdominal, and fractured hand).

Every team can complain about injuries and drop off in play, etc., etc. Not a lot of locker rooms could endure the embarrassment of being left at the alter by a coach last year and then the sudden retirement of their Franchise QB the year after. We, as fans, should never doubt this teams resiliency or their heart - not to mention the organisational attitude from Ballard down and the coaching staffs reinforcement of said attitude.

The positives we are seeing the rookie defensive players growing and developing into starter and/or valued depth pieces. Rock, Okereke, Willis, Tell, Taylor, Banogu. 

Additionally, seeing the growth of other young guys on the defense like Turay, Stewart, Muhammad and the added dimension of Hooker playing in the box is what is making this defense click right now.

On offense, with all the attrition at WR we've discovered a solid possession receiver in Pascal, and potentially a big bodied deep threat in Johnson that we thought we were getting in Cain. Should make the stretch run exciting with the potential of Funchess and T.Y. added back into the passing game. 

Sadly, I think Mack is done for the year due to the fractured hand, so hopefully Hines, Wilkins and Williams pick up the slack (collectively).

I feel safe using the word "nobody" did. I picked us to go 8-8 before the season started and that was assuming players like TY and Leonard wouldn't miss games. I had JB rated around 30th out of starters entering game 1. I now have him at 15th. Frank Reich has done a good job in reality to have us at 6-4 and in 1st place considering the points you have brought up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

They said Mack's injury isn't season ending. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I feel safe using the word "nobody" did. I picked us to go 8-8 before the season started and that was assuming players like TY and Leonard wouldn't miss games. I had JB rated around 30th out of starters entering game 1. I now have him at 15th. Frank Reich has done a good job in reality to have us at 6-4 and in 1st place considering the points you have brought up.

To follow this up I had us 8-8 going into the season because I felt like our O.Line was top 5 in the league, I felt like our D would be good too, and I trust Reich as a coach. JB is a lot better than I thought he was so we may go 10-6 or 11-5. If we beat Houston on Thursday I think we will win the division. If not 9-7 is still real doable.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

{snip good stuff}

Mack will be back soon {but not Thursday} , but have to run 'one handed' (no switching ball between hands)

40 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

They said Mack's injury isn't season ending. 

It's not...

If we can win without Mack, then we will be rolling come playoffs when he comes back. 

I'm happy with where we are right now. Could it be better? Yes. But we are sitting in a nice spot. This team has a bright future. Very bright. Tomorrow is promising, but it can wait. Years like this one can surprise a lot of people and turn out special.

Defense is playing fast and tackling has been good. Youth!Although not getting home with high numbers of sacks, the front is doing a good job of QB pressures. How goes Vinnie is how we go, and fast starts and time of possession drives are critical down the stretch. Not one easy game on the schedule, go 1-0 this week and get a nice break. Go Blue!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Mack can borrow Jamie Lannister’s gold hand.

The weight of it may slow him down, but the hand will be protected.  

Might make a nice fashion statement too.

And winter is coming. 

1 hour ago, mirobi48 said:

Curious where we compare to other teams with injuries? Remember they hired a nutritionist and other folks so we won't have as many injuries, 

Not sure how a nutritionist would be able help them avoid injuries

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Defense is playing fast and tackling has been good. Youth!Although not getting home with high numbers of sacks, the front is doing a good job of QB pressures. How goes Vinnie is how we go, and fast starts and time of possession drives are critical down the stretch. Not one easy game on the schedule, go 1-0 this week and get a nice break. Go Blue!

That's a great point about getting a break.  The Colts get an extra 3 days rest before hosting the Titans.  Titans play a 4pm game hosting the Jags.

The two games without Brissett went about as expected.  Both were losses. I think we win both is he's not hurt. We may have won them with Kelly. And I'm not a Kelly lover, we may have lost even worse. But Kelly is an unknown\unproven, while Hoyer is what he is, a good backup as long as he never has to play.... Add the fact that Adam had a big part in multiple losses to your list and I'd have said there's no way we have more than 3 wins at this point in the year... If just a couple things would have went right we could easily be 9-1 right now. CRAZy!!... If we can play good enough to make playoffs and be relatively healthy, we could be a scary team to play come January. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You forgot to mention the missed points by special team, and still where we are. It is a great achievement. I can only imagine how the team will be with 100% health but the nature of this game being so physical I doubt it is that easy. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

That's a great point about getting a break.  The Colts get an extra 3 days rest before hosting the Titans.  Titans play a 4pm game hosting the Jags.

It's for that reason that the Colts have to go all in this week.  The wounded need to play if they are close.  The game is too important.  The stakes are extremely high.  They have extra days to recover if needed.  Our playoff hopes will most likely be determined by this game.  All hands on deck as they say. 

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings. 

It feels like this team would be capable of doing something big this year if Luck hadn't retired. The improvement from the defense and the sometimes dominant work from the OL has been impressive. The two recent losses were primarily due to injuries on offense, we probably could have won by multiple scores if JB were healthy.

So while it's great to see the whole picture coming together, I can't shake the feeling that we have a lower ceiling due to the QB change. And that's not a shot at JB (please don't start), just an acknowledgment that he's not as good as Luck, in several ways.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have mixed feelings. 

It feels like this team would be capable of doing something big this year if Luck hadn't retired. The improvement from the defense and the sometimes dominant work from the OL has been impressive. The two recent losses were primarily due to injuries on offense, we probably could have won by multiple scores if JB were healthy.

So while it's great to see the whole picture coming together, I can't shake the feeling that we have a lower ceiling due to the QB change. And that's not a shot at JB (please don't start), just an acknowledgment that he's not as good as Luck, in several ways.

I have to think 99% of fans feel the same way.

I was hyped that this would be the year we took down the Pats.  That was with Luck.  I haven't seen anyone claim Brissett is as good (or even close) to Luck.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I have mixed feelings. 

perfectly stated

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I'd even say in most ways. Very few are. And even getting a better overall QB than JB7, but is also not as good as Luck, is going to be difficult as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Very true. But I feel it is also accurate to note the JB may be a better leader in the locker room and/or in the huddle. Many inside the complex have praised his leadership far more than they ever did Luck. Luck's praise was his determination and mad memorization abilities. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Very true. But I feel it is also accurate to note the JB may be a better leader in the locker room and/or in the huddle. Many inside the complex have praised his leadership far more than they ever did Luck. Luck's praise was his determination and mad memorization abilities. 

No doubt they have different personalities, and maybe that's affected the locker room in a positive way. Also, a lot of the guys on the roster and the staff weren't here before 2017, which is when JB really endeared himself to the team. Luck was in Europe part of that time. Since then, Luck started 16 games, JB has started 24, along with leading the offseason and training camp practices. We could argue that this team knows JB better than it knew Luck.

And just to be clear, I don't think there was anything wrong with Luck's style or his leadership qualities. I'm sure the teams from 2012 to 2016 admired him the same way this current team admires JB. But it's JB's team now.

• Like 3

Definitely a strange year. Won games thought might lose, lost games thought might win. Could possibly be 9-1 just the same as 4-6. This defense is one that have been wanting for a long time and believe will only get better with age. Hoping Brissett will get better on read progressions and offense can get rid of the injury bug. Love seeing the Colts impose will on teams by successfully running the ball. Haven't had that in years. Who knows, a stout defense and good run game has produced championships before. Just need consistency   

• Like 1