Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Pennock

Okereke

That was a nice play, too bad he wont get an interception on the stat sheets

not like that really matters but some day he will probably look back on his career stats 

• Like 1

Was an awesome play to end the game. Half the stadium had left the building at this point so it was cool to see when it happened.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

not like that really matters but some day he will probably look back on his career stats 

True statement. Sadly, if a RB fumbled in that situation it's still a fumble!

I don't mean this sound a negative, I mean it very much as a positive,  but I can see him being a very effective "role" player due to his versatility. He's an interesting prospect. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I don't mean this sound a negative, I mean it very much as a positive,  but I can see him being a very effective "role" player due to his versatility. He's an interesting prospect. 

Yup, great play, but I do agree on your description. He's still somewhat single threaded as a LB, but we're definitely better having him. He's a good compliment to Walker on passing days, and loved seeing him flash.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Yup, great play, but I do agree on your description. He's still somewhat single threaded as a LB, but we're definitely better having him. He's a good compliment to Walker on passing days, and loved seeing him flash.

Probably way off base here, but I can imagine him getting used a little like Jamie Collins was used. Not as athletic as Collins, but from the (admittedly little) I've seen, he seems to have good instincts. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Was an awesome play to end the game. Half the stadium had left the building at this point so it was cool to see when it happened.

Had a perfect look from where I was sitting, and even though it was at the  end of a blowout game, it was one of the most exciting plays of the game. 

Kudos to “Future Hall of Famer, Bobby Okereke, Okereke”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Probably way off base here, but I can imagine him getting used a little like Jamie Collins was used. Not as athletic as Collins, but from the (admittedly little) I've seen, he seems to have good instincts. 

Isn't Collins and OLB though? I do agree he'd be more successful in a SAM or WILL type situation. Obviously Leonard is our WILL, but would love to see Oke get more time at SAM even though we don't use it a lot. Long term at MIKE, I'd like to see us upgrade with a bonafide 3 down guy at some point, after we address a few other areas.

Collins is back with NE right?

I like Okereke for sure.  I think they are going to give him every possible shot to uproot Ant Walker next season. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like Okereke for sure.  I think they are going to give him every possible shot to uproot Ant Walker next season. 

I agree that they will. Ain't gonna happen though. Still a big gap between them

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I agree that they will. Ain't gonna happen though. Still a big gap between them

Like Dungy says the greatest leaps happen between year 1 and year 2.  Okerke is a better athlete than Ant Walker.  Ant right now is better between the ears and with the awareness, but Ballard harped on how smart Okereke is so we shall see if he brings that to the table in year 2.  I really liked his awareness on that interception. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Isn't Collins and OLB though? I do agree he'd be more successful in a SAM or WILL type situation. Obviously Leonard is our WILL, but would love to see Oke get more time at SAM even though we don't use it a lot. Long term at MIKE, I'd like to see us upgrade with a bonafide 3 down guy at some point, after we address a few other areas.

Collins is back with NE right?

He is, both an OLB and back at NE. There was talk post draft about Okereke being used at SAM/MIKE in sub packages.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Like Dungy says the greatest leaps happen between year 1 and year 2.  Okerke is a better athlete than Ant Walker.  Ant right now is better between the ears and with the awareness, but Ballard harped on how smart Okereke is so we shall see if he brings that to the table in year 2.  I really liked his awareness on that interception. 

It might be just me but I think Walker is a very quick LB. I love how he reads plays and quickly chases. He and Okereke's combine results are nearly identical. The only thing I see Okereke having over him is his height and those long arms. The mental and awareness part of his game has to drastically improve if he's to pass Walker

As we watch Walker being a step behind play after play.
 Okereke has what it takes to beat out Walker.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He was my guy in this last draft. Even had him as my profile pic until I read about his case in Stanford. I don't know how to feel about him now. I've avoided talking about him at all until now. I really liked him in the draft and he reminded me of Leonard... same length and size, similar movement ability and speed, similar playmaking ability. I'm happy he's making plays for us. I wouldn't be surprised if he took Walker's place in the starting unit when Walker's contract is up. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

He is, both an OLB and back at NE. There was talk post draft about Okereke being used at SAM/MIKE in sub packages.

The only SAM talk post draft I remember centered around Banogu. I do remember a lot of fans assuming he'd quickly replace Walker completely, which I thought was a bit silly.

I'd love to bring in another Mike (keep Walker), shift Oke to SAM (and use him as WILL backup), and drop one of the existing SAMs. Not a top need right now or anything, but hope CB is patiently looking for a deal.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

why wouldn't it count?

Just now, csmopar said:

why wouldn't it count?

it just doesn't on two point conversions.  if you look at his stats from yesterday there is no interception 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it just doesn't on two point conversions.  if you look at his stats from yesterday there is no interception 

makes no sense. then again, a lot in the NFL nowadays makes little sense

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The only SAM talk post draft I remember centered around Banogu. I do remember a lot of fans assuming he'd quickly replace Walker completely, which I thought was a bit silly.

I'd love to bring in another Mike (keep Walker), shift Oke to SAM (and use him as WILL backup), and drop one of the existing SAMs. Not a top need right now or anything, but hope CB is patiently looking for a deal.

Well the last three or 4 games Oke has replaced Adams at SAM, so I don't think they need to shift him over there.  And when they go to their nickle package they have been pulling Walker off and leaving DL and Oke as the LBers.

So your idea is a good one... just one they have already implemented.  And with the way the D has been playing overall with that change, I don't really see them changing it all that much next year.  Oke is a better athlete but Walker is much quicker, much stronger and a lot more disciplined on his assignments.

barring major setbacks or players ot willing to put in the effort to improve, defensively the Colts need a DT and DE, but the starting NT, DE, LBers, CBs and safeties are pretty much set and on the roster, IMO.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

makes no sense. then again, a lot in the NFL nowadays makes little sense

All plays should count in the stats. 

The extra point kick counts in the stats as a point for the team and a point for the kicker. Should be same for field players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Colts need a DT and DE, but the starting NT, DE, LBers, CBs and safeties are pretty much set and on the roster, IMO.

Do you think Turay can become that consistent 3rd down game changer at DE?

22 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well the last three or 4 games Oke has replaced Adams at SAM, so I don't think they need to shift him over there.  And when they go to their nickle package they have been pulling Walker off and leaving DL and Oke as the LBers.

So your idea is a good one... just one they have already implemented.  And with the way the D has been playing overall with that change, I don't really see them changing it all that much next year.  Oke is a better athlete but Walker is much quicker, much stronger and a lot more disciplined on his assignments.

barring major setbacks or players ot willing to put in the effort to improve, defensively the Colts need a DT and DE, but the starting NT, DE, LBers, CBs and safeties are pretty much set and on the roster, IMO.

I'm aware (I actually pointed it out when it first happened and was very happy about it). 

He's been getting less reps overall the last three games. 52-41-29 are his snap counts the last 3 games.

To clarify, I want him to end up being primary SAM, and then back up to Leonard. Not in a timeshare with Walker. I want to bring in a 3 down MIKE, and let Walker share early down snaps.

Oke is a liability vs the run, and that's just not good for a MLB, or early downs in general. I'm with you on DT being the biggest need. To me, the priority on D is DT-DE-MLB and S tied-CB

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Do you think Turay can become that consistent 3rd down game changer at DE?

A consistent 3rd down DE?  yes.  But I'm thinking more an every down DE.  Another one like Sheard or even a replacement for Houston.  Houston has been great the last 7 weeks and he has been CB's best FA signing but he was not brought in to be a long term (3 or more year) solution at the DE spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I'm aware (I actually pointed it out when it first happened and was very happy about it). 

He's been getting less reps overall the last three games. 52-41-29 are his snap counts the last 3 games.

To clarify, I want him to end up being primary SAM, and then back up to Leonard. Not in a timeshare with Walker. I want to bring in a 3 down MIKE, and let Walker share early down snaps.

I have to admit, I don't understand the what you are saying... he has been the primary SAM, just because they pull walker out in the nickle doesn't mean he's in a timeshare with Walker, it just means they would rather have Oke in on passing downs than Walker.  Walker is good in pass coverage as long as his zone is kept to about a 5 yard radius.  Oke has a much bigger range.

I think the only reason Oke has been getting fewer reps though is just because of the Colts playing more base and dime packages than base and nickle packages.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Oke is a liability vs the run, and that's just not good for a MLB, or early downs in general. I'm with you on DT being the biggest need. To me, the priority on D is DT-DE-MLB and S tied-CB

I think Oke moving to SAM has made him less a liability against the run because he doesn't get caught up in the interior wash as much, being able to stay on the outside he is better at hitting and maintaining his gap against the run.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

First points the defense has scored in at least a year and half.  I’ll take it.

Defense has scored 3 times this year along with that 2 point return they have scored 2 safety's too.

11 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Defense has scored 3 times this year along with that 2 point return they have scored 2 safety's too.

I meant a touchdown or in this case a two point return 

31 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I have to admit, I don't understand the what you are saying... he has been the primary SAM, just because they pull walker out in the nickle doesn't mean he's in a timeshare with Walker, it just means they would rather have Oke in on passing downs than Walker.  Walker is good in pass coverage as long as his zone is kept to about a 5 yard radius.  Oke has a much bigger range.

I think the only reason Oke has been getting fewer reps though is just because of the Colts playing more base and dime packages than base and nickle packages.

I think Oke moving to SAM has made him less a liability against the run because he doesn't get caught up in the interior wash as much, being able to stay on the outside he is better at hitting and maintaining his gap against the run.

Not sure how I can say it differently but I'll try. I don't want Oke playing any MLB at all. I'd like to upgrade MLB with a true 3 down guy instead of bringing Oke in for passing downs. I'd prefer Oke stay outside 100% of the time (either as primary SAM or backup WILL). 

At Mike specifically, I'd do the reverse of what they are doing now. I'd get a new primary Mike that can stay on the field in most packages (3 down guy), and use Walker as the back up and as a rotational guy on early downs.

Okereke, when on the field with Leonard and Walker has been playing SAM since Leonard came back from his concussion.

In Ballard’s post draft interviews, he said Okereke can play all three positions, but that they were likely to start him at the MIKE.  

Doesn’t mean he’ll stay there.   Who knows where Benogu ends up?   I’m guessing DE,  but the front office thinks he’s got some LB (Sam) in him, so anything is possible. 

So final decisions still have to be made.  

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure how I can say it differently but I'll try. I don't want Oke playing any MLB at all. I'd like to upgrade MLB with a true 3 down guy instead of bringing Oke in for passing downs. I'd prefer Oke stay outside 100% of the time (either as primary SAM or backup WILL). 

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

At Mike specifically, I'd do the reverse of what they are doing now. I'd get a new primary Mike that can stay on the field in most packages (3 down guy), and use Walker as the back up and as a rotational guy on early downs.

it is a bit easier to understand using names rather than pronouns.   And that is where we disagree, why replace Walker, he's been the Colts best LB all year.  And they are no longer bringing Oke in on passing downs, he's the SAM.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In Ballard’s post draft interviews, he said Okereke can play all three positions, but that they were likely to start him at the MIKE.  

Anymore though post draft interviews do not really matter.  They tried Oke at MIKE and now he is the SAM, it seems they found the best spot for him.

Doesn’t mean he’ll stay there.   Who knows where Benogu ends up?   I’m guessing DE,  but the front office thinks he’s got some LB (Sam) in him, so anything is possible.

Same thing, it doesn't really matter what they said after the draft

So final decisions still have to be made.  

Things may change next year based on personnel available but I don't see them changing Oke or Banagou.  Both have settled into their positions pretty well.  Kind of like after the draft CB said Smith was a guard and yet they put him at RT because they had to, he settled in nicely at that position and is still there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

it is a bit easier to understand using names rather than pronouns.   And that is where we disagree, why replace Walker, he's been the Colts best LB all year.  And they are no longer bringing Oke in on passing downs, he's the SAM.

Pretty sure Oke was in the middle at times yesterday. Walker was only on the field 73% of the time...

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pretty sure Oke was in the middle at times yesterday. Walker was only on the field 73% of the time...

That is because a good portion of the 4th quarter the Colts were playing alsmost exclusively nickle and dime packages.

Also just because a LB shift may put and outside LB more inside the box does not mean he's playing the MIKE position, it just means that is where he shifted.

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is because a good portion of the 4th quarter the Colts were playing alsmost exclusively nickle and dime packages.

Also just because a LB shift may put and outside LB more inside the box does not mean he's playing the MIKE position, it just means that is where he shifted.

In terms of Eberflus's D, the MIKE/MLB remains in both nickel/dime. In Dime, IIRC, they shift Leonard in and he becomes the MLB while the dime back lines up in the traditional WILL spot. The SAM is not out there in Nickel or Dime. In other words, if Okereke is playing in a Nickel situation, he's playing MIKE/MLB.