Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers in the Running for Peyton [Merge]

Peyton and Eli fan

Peyton wasnt released because he wasnt healthy. Irsay wanted Luck, so he had to get rid of Manning. Thats all. Not about Money, health, ect. Many are making this out to be more than what it is. Irsay wants Luck. Didnt want Manning competing with Luck, so what to do? Drop Manning.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton wasnt released because he wasnt healthy. Irsay wanted Luck, so he had to get rid of Manning. Thats all. Not about Money, health, ect. Many are making this out to be more than what it is. Irsay wants Luck. Didnt want Manning competing with Luck, so what to do? Drop Manning.

thats not the issue im having. the problem im having is why reports contradict each other. one says peyton cant throw the other is peyton is throwing like he was 6 years ago. whats the truth

Where are the recent reports that he can't throw?

i cant find the article, but i did see a report during this month that had said doctors say peyton is still not healthy and then stokely comes out and says hes throwing like 6 years ago

no not at all. if peyton is doing so well right now then why were the colts so eager to get rid of him? the seems this is just a front to get teams to bite

The most we know of why he's not a Colt is what both Peyton and Jim said in the press conference. Circumstances. They each referred to the third person in the room as "circumstances".

There has been lots of speculation about what those were: Cap situations, new QB playing time, health, etc.

Personally, my take (speculation as well), Jim told Peyton that the Colts were going to go young at all positions. A total new beginning. It would sacrifice the present for the future. Jim may have went as far as to say that he'd work a new contract that would keep Peyton for a year maybe two, but that he'd have to let the new Qb take over. Under those circumstances I'm sure Peyton would not want to remain a Colt.

So, both men had their vision of the future and the "circumstances" wouldn't let either of those visions co-exist.

That certainly doesn't make either a "bad guy" as so many wish to characterize it. Neither does it show an "eagerness" to leave or to be gotten rid of.

The most we know of why he's not a Colt is what both Peyton and Jim said in the press conference. Circumstances. They each referred to the third person in the room as "circumstances".

There has been lots of speculation about what those were: Cap situations, new QB playing time, health, etc.

Personally, my take (speculation as well), Jim told Peyton that the Colts were going to go young at all positions. A total new beginning. It would sacrifice the present for the future. Jim may have went as far as to say that he'd work a new contract that would keep Peyton for a year maybe two, but that he'd have to let the new Qb take over. Under those circumstances I'm sure Peyton would not want to remain a Colt.

So, both men had their vision of the future and the "circumstances" wouldn't let either of those visions co-exist.

That certainly doesn't make either a "bad guy" as so many wish to characterize it. Neither does it show an "eagerness" to leave or to be gotten rid of.

i can respect that

No, it's not colts related. He isn't a Colt, some of you can't let go, and i get that..

If this is all you've got to worry about you need to get another life. Maureen has posted a thread about this so weigh in there and then a decision will be made. JMO

i cant find the article, but i did see a report during this month that had said doctors say peyton is still not healthy and then stokely comes out and says hes throwing like 6 years ago

No doctor who has examined Peyton since his surgery has ever publicly stated that he "is still not healthy". All they comment on is the state of his fusion, and the last reports were to the effect that it is safe for him to resume football activities without restrictions. Do you think that one of Peyton's personal physicians was the one to use the word "noodle arm"? Does that make sense to you? Do you know what physicians typically sound like when commenting on a patients health?

We are getting bombarded by opinion on a constant basis, most of it based on absolutely nothing. Why do you assume that a "doctor" (whom you can't identify, and whom clearly didn't examine Peyton) is telling the truth, but that two personal friends of Peyton who have put their reputations on the line to vouch for him publicly are lying? There is no conspiracy theory, just a guy looking for a job with all the integrity that he's shown us for the past 14 years intact, and several hundred nobodies crawling out of the woodwork in search of five minutes of attention (with resulting personal profit) by commenting on the situation. You need to differentiate between fact and conjecture, and perhaps tune out some of the noise. This situation is a lot less complicated than you would apparently like it to be.

i cant wait till peyton lights it up next season and all you people saying peyton wont be healthy enough will all eat your crow...peytons a perfectionist, youd think that if ANYONE knows they wont be healthy to play again, itd be him. you guys are seriously doubting one of the smartest players with one of the greatest work ethics of the NFL ever

I might be a bit stunned if he went there actually. It might look good on paper (but I hate the Niners pass protection at times) but he would be seriously messing with the Manning family plan of a Manning SB and avoiding each other. ;)

Niners/Giants have created a small rivalry this year already. If Peyton went there, there is the potential to play the Giants twice.

i cant wait till peyton lights it up next season and all you people saying peyton wont be healthy enough will all eat your crow...peytons a perfectionist, youd think that if ANYONE knows they wont be healthy to play again, itd be him. you guys are seriously doubting one of the smartest players with one of the greatest work ethics of the NFL ever

Whoever Peyton's new team is, will expect the world. Us......well we can sit back and watch from afar. But, his new fanbase will want a title ESPECIALLY if it was with a team as close as SF was.

It would be SB or bust.

I know a Niners fan from another forum but have yet to talk to him. I do know he was not thrilled by the Moss signing but I wonder how he would feel about this?

I mentioned Peyton during the season to him and he said he didn't want him. He said it would make it look like they were trying to buy a title and those teams often fall short.

I will have to try to find him now lol.

I know a Niners fan from another forum but have yet to talk to him. I do know he was not thrilled by the Moss signing but I wonder how he would feel about this?

I mentioned Peyton during the season to him and he said he didn't want him. He said it would make it look like they were trying to buy a title and those teams often fall short.

If the Niners did sign Manning and they went on to win a title, I'm sure he'll get over the whole "buying a trophy" thing. Everyone else would view it as- This is what happens when you put Manning on a team that also has defense.

Whoever Peyton's new team is, will expect the world. Us......well we can sit back and watch from afar. But, his new fanbase will want a title ESPECIALLY if it was with a team as close as SF was.

It would be SB or bust.

That is a really good point, esp in SF's case, and Broncos too. The only situation where its not "SB or bust" would probably be with the Titans. Even though, I have a very strong feeling that Peytons gonna play with a huge chip on his shoulder next year and shut the doubters. But to many, he has Sb's to win to prove something

I thought of a highly improbable outcome:

Peyton goes to the 49ers.

Then the 49ers trade Peyton to the Colts for its #1 overall pick to get Luck reunited with Harbaugh, and Peyton reunited with the Colts.

If the Niners did sign Manning and they went on to win a title, I'm sure he'll get over the whole "buying a trophy" thing. Everyone else would view it as- This is what happens when you put Manning on a team that also has defense.

And a head coach.

And special teams. (IE Best case scenario isn't your returner taking a knee 100% of the time) Don't get me started on our coverage.

And a run game not ranked 30 or higher.

And more than 2.5 seconds to throw without getting pummeled.

So yeah. One or any combination of the above would be something else.

The 49'ers have all of the above. If Manning wants to finish his career on top, he could threepeat there if he's healthy. I don't buy the "But Eli is in the NFC" hooplah. If Manning plays in the AFC he could still meet the Giants in the Superbowl with the Broncos. (Not gonna happen with the Titans)

The Broncos are pretty decent overall, and aren't a bad choice. But they're not the 49'ers.

The Titans are almost as putrid as Indy with a few one ups over us. For crying out loud we BEAT them last season! (Thanks Hasselbeck) Why finish your career carrying another dreadful team when you've done it for 12+ years and got the boot for it? Go to a team that pulls its own weight and win championships.

You have more money than god, Peyton. Take a few million less and go to the 49'ers. Maybe you'll run in to the Patriots in the Superbowl. (The Texans are the only AFC team I can see preventing the Pats from going right back, pending their health.)

I mean really...who WOULDN'T want to watch Manning/Brady led teams face to face in the Superbowl? I'd wager more would tune in to that over a Manning Bowl. Plus it would go a LONG way in putting that little debate to bed and burying it 6 feet under. Bonus points if it happened more than once.

It would be SB or bust.

I disagree- because these teams arent mortgaging their future. Broncos have Tebow and 49ers have Smith. It is not as if they gave up an Aaron Rodgers or Rothlisberger to get Manning. AND It can't be any more than the pressure he had the last decade to carry a franchise.

I live here in SF bay area, my Wife and her family are die hard 49ers fans. Season tix and all....and they were ticked at the fact that 49ers said two weeks ago "Alex is their guy" while Manning was on the horizon. Today when the news broke it was the talk at the office.

"buying a title" is joke of a comment.

There are a few that don't want Manning from what I have read on their Forum....these are the same people that believes Alex Smith walks on water.

Come on 49ers leak your offer .... :)

"You put Peyton Manning in that (49ers) offense, and people are going to be scared to play them," former Colts coach Tony Dungy told the NFL Network...

Former 49ers quarterback Steve Young expects the 49ers to claim Manning because they offer the most complete package in his quest to win a second Super Bowl.

Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice also advocated the 49ers acquiring Manning...

I can't root for the Niners over Green Bay though if Peyton goes there. Pack are my NFC squad. I love how GB does things too and are sitting quietly waiting for the draft, it's how the Colts operate most years too.

I can't root for a team with Moss on it either, I have always sorta despised that man.

I live here in SF bay area, my Wife and her family are die hard 49ers fans. Season tix and all....and they were ticked at the fact that 49ers said two weeks ago "Alex is their guy" while Manning was on the horizon. Today when the news broke it was the talk at the office.

"buying a title" is joke of a comment.

There are a few that don't want Manning from what I have read on their Forum....these are the same people that believes Alex Smith walks on water.

Not sure if thats the case from what I heard from my Niners friend. He kinda liked the blue collar underdog old school squad they had last year. But with the success the Niners had last season they won't be underdogs anymore regardless.

I like the 49ers and the Pack. But I don't see Peyton going to the NFC.

The 49ers would be an awesome team with him on it, though.

I like the Niners but was rooting for the Giants against them in the title game.

Packers fans are freaking awesome though. I have had some great converstations with a few of them. They actually talk about the Colts with me too and give me insight with their Favre/Rodgers experiences. Most of them told me Peyton was gone months ago.....I think they saw the signs early.

Peyton going to the 49ers would be the best.

He'd be in the NFC (away from the Colts) and he'll have a great chance to win!

It would be a great fit for the 49ers! It would make them SB favorites right away. Best D with the best QB. WOW!

Excellent news! I've been hoping I would hear something like this for the past few days...someone comes out with a report that Peyton did workout for the 49ers with no one knowing. I've been saying this is the best spot for him all offseason

Finally, the 49ers have officially entered the media fray & Peyton Manning sweepstakes. Stout defense, superb special teams, & a wide receiver Crabtree cut away from the Superbowl. Would Coach Harbaugh really abdicate offensive coordinator control completely over #18 though? Peyton Manning to Randy Moss deep sounds awesome to me though.

I'm still torn though John Elway in Denver was exactly where Peyton is right now... Elway lived this very scenario himself. Plus, as an organization, the Broncos have more money to spend in order to protect Peyton & surround him with weapons. He knows just what Peyton needs to win.

Finally, the 49ers have officially entered the media fray & Peyton Manning sweepstakes. Stout defense, superb special teams, & a wide receiver Crabtree cut away from the Superbowl. Would Coach Harbaugh really abdicate offensive coordinator control completely over #18 though? Peyton Manning to Randy Moss deep sounds awesome to me though.

I'm still torn though John Elway in Denver was exactly where Peyton is right now... Elway lived this very scenario himself. Plus, as an organization, the Broncos have more money to spend in order to protect Peyton & surround him with weapons. He knows just what Peyton needs to win.

Nobody understand what Peyton is going through at his age better then John Elway does. That is a huge factor for going to Denver IMO.

Peyton to Moss sounds terrific. If this was 2004. j/k

Moss has always been a turd though IMO.