Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Williams

chad72

I find Jonathan Williams' vision better than that of Jordan Wilkins.

For a 2nd string between-the-tackles back, I feel Jonathan Williams is the guy we need to ride. Great job by the coaches but I found his performance more exciting than the "meh" stuff we typically get with Jordan Wilkins. Granted it is just one game but I found his vision good in pre-season too before he got banged up. He showed me something today.

Thoughts???

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With the very talented RB class in the 2020 draft, I still would like Ballard to add one more guy to that backfield. Mack is a good RB, but he can't seem to stay fully healthy, and I still question whether he is our workhorse RB. 

With a stable of Mack, Williams, Wilkins and Hines in whatever order, we're actually really good for RB.  if Williams can settle in as that #1b back  we are actually in really good shape

• Like 1

He looked great but this was what the fourth time the Jags have given up over 200 yards on the ground this season and the line was highly motived today.  I am not taking anything from Williams because he got his chance and took advantage of it.  He might very well be the starter Thursday so I hope this wasn’t just a one hit wonder against a really bad run defense.  Still we should be thrilled with the whole running game performance today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jordan Wilkins is averaging 6.1 yards per attempt.

Lamar Jackson is leading the league at 6.6 yards per attempt.

Wilkins is an absolute stud.  I don't understand why you are underwhelmed with his performance, but I agree that Williams looked good today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I been speaking on J Will since the first day we signed him and even before that. I wanted him when Pagano was here.

I was kind of hoping the Colts would draft him when he came out of Arkansas myself.

Now let's hope he stays healthy, looks like they are going to need to lean on him for a few games.

Williams ran excellent today. The ends of a couple of his runs were a little weird though....like, keep running dude don't just fall down lol. 

I think Williams is light years better than Hines in between the tackles. I loved seeing him and Hines out there at the same time and using Hines as more of a WR in motion. They need to do more of that and get Hines in space where he excels. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Myles said:

He did great.

But:

It was against a Jags poor rush defense.  

It was second half with the defense tired.  

That said, he has earned some carries each game.  

This, he earned himself some future carries but let's not get too carried away.  The OL was plowing over the Jags all game.  Easy to look good when you are 5+ yards down the field before you get touched.  

But he will see some action anyways.  Mack's hand is broke, he's not going to be playing on Thursday.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Wilkins is an absolute stud.  I don't understand why you are underwhelmed with his performance, but I agree that Williams looked good today. 

I like what we always get out of Wilkins but calling him a stud is pretty far from correct at this point. I’m not sure why Wilkins never gets more carries than he has, he produces when in for the most part. It’s accurate that he has a pretty high avg for his carries and I’d like to see a few games with 10-15 touches before I go calling him a stud as opposed to he is a producer when given the chance. Elliott is a stud, Mack has been considered a stud and that Eckard out in chargers land has been a stud because they’ve all carried the team for more than a few carries a game. Let’s not use the term too loosely or it loses its meaning. 

8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Reich said that long run by Williams was designed for Hines and Williams had never run that play before. Wow.

Did they say why Williams got the carry of it was designed for Hines and Williams had never ran it before? Was it a game flow thing or misses player switch? 

Just now, Restored said:

The problem with Wilkins is that he has had turnover problems. Not so much this year but it for sure was an issue last year.

If he hasn’t had anything this year, and we say Williams has “earned” carries, then the same would be true of Wilkins I would think. We have played enough games to say ok, here is the added carries, go do something with them now. Hopefully we have a healthy Wilkins, Williams and Hines Thursday and the oline pops holes Oppenheimer equally as big in the Texans defense. If so, all 3 should play well and our run game should produce tons of first downs and lesson the need to run patterns downfield so often. Save the tape views of our patterns for the playoffs :applause:

3 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Did they say why Williams got the carry of it was designed for Hines and Williams had never ran it before? Was it a game flow thing or misses player switch? 

He dialed the play up but for some reason he saw that Williams was on the field..I don’t know why the mixup...so he said Williams has never run the play before. Always been Hines in practice. So he thought it was funny that he breaks a long one on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I agree.  Wilkins ran for 5.6 YPC last year and 6.1 YPC this season.  Granted it is only 87 carries, but it at least shows great promise.

Williams looked great yesterday and I think if Wilkins is back, those 2 can power through behind our line.  

image.png.a37472b446cb258e775f8dd676a4ef7d.png

image.png.438fb907cfe7e68256d8d52c6cfdc067.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zibby43 said:

That guy is far from a stud take out the 55 yard run against the titans and he is below average.

6 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Im serious I never seen him break more than 1 or two tackles since he has been here Williams is the better back plain and simple.

Not really.   Running like he does without needing to break many tackles tells me he has superior vision to find the holes.  

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That guy is far from a stud take out the 55 yard run against the titans and he is below average.

You can't hold that against him.   He'd still be over 4 yards a carry without that run.   Williams day would be only 68 yards if you removed his 48 yard run.   But that is not fair to him either.  

Neither has much to go on in their careers.  

Williams - 45/211 4.7 YPC

Wilkins - 87/501 5.8 YPC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Williams ran excellent today. The ends of a couple of his runs were a little weird though....like, keep running dude don't just fall down lol. 

No argument here, just to clarify only.....he dropped at the end of those runs to stay in bounds and keep the clock running.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Wilkins isn't bad, but we've been looking for him to emerge as a change of pace back to allow Reich to have the confidence not to put all the rushing burden on Mack, and that kind of just never quite happened.  Williams came in in 1 game and suddenly was that guy. 

it says something when Reich would rather give rushing carries to a depth RB and even to Chester Rogers than to Wilkins.  I dunno what but there's something going on there.

8 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Wilkins isn't bad, but we've been looking for him to emerge as a change of pace back to allow Reich to have the confidence not to put all the rushing burden on Mack, and that kind of just never quite happened.  Williams came in in 1 game and suddenly was that guy. 

it says something when Reich would rather give rushing carries to a depth RB and even to Chester Rogers than to Wilkins.  I dunno what but there's something going on there.

As far as I know Wilkins was hurt, but I think they've been waiting on the chance to break J Will in though.