Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rock and Tell

MPStack

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We had some good coverage but were so so getting pressure with a 4 man rush.

Imagine playing such a solid Team D with Sheard, Autry, and Johnson totaling 1 tackle. And that was Johnson's late game sack. 
 Moore was as good as any player on the field today. 
 Loved our tackling by the secondary. It was special. 

I thought the same as you regarding the pressure. But looking back , we did disrupt the pocket enough to force some bad throws and Foles was mostly throwing quick , short stuff. Maybe a little better than we gave credit ?

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Whoever is making decisions in NY is just blowing it on these PIs. That no-call on Rock was clear and obvious and should have been changed upon review. Same thing for the no-call in the Texans game. 

Agree. Regardless if it’s my team or not I know a bad call when I see it and that was one.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We're ranked 12 in passing D currently. Given all the injuries and high reliance on rooks, I'd say that's pretty fantastic. Now we've only played 2 great passing Os, and one was severely hobbled at the time, but we've exceeded expectation given all the impacts. Especially with Rock leading the entire D in snaps, and Willis leading all Ss in snaps. If you told me both Desir and Hooker would miss 3 games each, I would have said we'd be outside the top 20. Absolutely a work in progress, but the depth is pretty exciting.

That’s likely due to the fact that we don’t give up deep passes. But on the intermediate stuff we get shredded. If you watch the Broncos and Dolphins games, that’s what happened. Couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down because of short passes. It won’t show in the box score, but the pass D has struggled at times. They bounced back this week though.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s likely due to the fact that we don’t give up deep passes. But on the intermediate stuff we get shredded. If you watch the Broncos and Dolphins games, that’s what happened. Couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down because of short passes. It won’t show in the box score, but the pass D has struggled at times. They bounced back this week though.

The Broncos scored 13 points & were 2 for 12 on 3rd down. Dolphins scored 16 (13 of those off of turnovers) & were 5 for 13 on 3rd down. You're being a little hard on our D.  They've been balling out in all phases recently.  Even the Steelers game: Gave up 26 (7 on a pick 6 & a free 3 on a penalty before halftime). Take those away & that's 16 points & 5 for 13 on 3rd down.  Not bad at all.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Whoever is making decisions in NY is just blowing it on these PIs. That no-call on Rock was clear and obvious and should have been changed upon review. Same thing for the no-call in the Texans game. 

Al Riveron.  I think Vic Fangio summed it up-

Nobody really knows the P.I. rules right now. But to overturn a call requires a 5 car pileup first...

On 11/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Tell has been a huge surprise. We can now see why Wilson is being benched. He has caught on to playing corner very well. Hopefully rocks ankle isn’t serious because we need him to go Sunday. I hope Desir is back also

I'd rather he be ready to go Thursday considering that is the day we play ;)

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd blame that more on scheme and LB coverage than DB performance. And a little to the DL.... Our DL blitz % is one of the lower %s in the league, and our QBHurry, QBKnockdown, and pressure ranks are mediocre and bottom half of the league. Opposing team's average depth of target is only 7.5 (bottom 10 in league), which means either teams respect our DBs, don't respect our LB coverage, or are quick hit Os..... or a combination. 

Here's a good place to check out if you're interested in advanced stats. Pretty straight forward and easy to sort. One of the better FREE and easy advanced stats sources. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Al Riveron.  I think Vic Fangio summed it up-

Nobody really knows the P.I. rules right now. But to overturn a call requires a 5 car pileup first...

I disagree. We know the PI rules. They haven't changed. 

The problem is they're requiring a very high bar to be cleared to overturn a call made on the field, which mostly defeats the purpose of reviewing calls in the first place. The standard is supposed to be "clear and obvious" according to the rule book, but they're using a very different standard that appears to be something like "egregious, flagrant and inarguable," and that's a problem. 

It's like they're taking these reviews and saying 'yeah, that's PI, but it wasn't "Nickell Robey-Coleman in the NFCCG" PI, so we're not gonna overturn the call on the field.' In which case, take away the coaches challenge aspect and just let NY buzz down and tell us when they're going to step in and change a call.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I disagree. We know the PI rules. They haven't changed. 

The problem is they're requiring a very high bar to be cleared to overturn a call made on the field, which mostly defeats the purpose of reviewing calls in the first place. The standard is supposed to be "clear and obvious" according to the rule book, but they're using a very different standard that appears to be something like "egregious, flagrant and inarguable," and that's a problem. 

It's like they're taking these reviews and saying 'yeah, that's PI, but it wasn't "Nickell Robey-Coleman in the NFCCG" PI, so we're not gonna overturn the call on the field.' In which case, take away the coaches challenge aspect and just let NY buzz down and tell us when they're going to step in and change a call.

To the bolded, whether sarcasm or not, I agree.  The game of football is bad enough right now and it would be awful if they made PI fully reviewable by the clear and obvious standard.  None of us want the kind of football where every foul is reviewable...and that's why they are smartly communicating to coaches who want PI reviewed on a play "Go ahead and toss the challenge flag but we'll let you know if that is how we want the rule applied or not on a case by case basis". 

It was their only quick fix to the public fiasco last year...and I have no problem with it.  They needed a path to fix something egregious on a historical level, and they have that now.  They didn't want run of the mill PI reviewed, even if clear and obvious.  Not every foul should be called in sports.

48 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

To the bolded, whether sarcasm or not, I agree.  The game of football is bad enough right now and it would be awful if they made PI fully reviewable by the clear and obvious standard.  None of us want the kind of football where every foul is reviewable...and that's why they are smartly communicating to coaches who want PI reviewed on a play "Go ahead and toss the challenge flag but we'll let you know if that is how we want the rule applied or not on a case by case basis". 

It was their only quick fix to the public fiasco last year...and I have no problem with it.  They needed a path to fix something egregious on a historical level, and they have that now.  They didn't want run of the mill PI reviewed, even if clear and obvious.  Not every foul should be called in sports.

I get that, but it's dumb. If that's what they wanted, then yes, they should take away the coaches challenge for PI and just buzz down and correct bad calls on their own.

I don't know why it would be awful if they made PI reviewable by the clear and obvious standard. You're not adding more replay, because coaches still have two challenges per game, so it's not like they can throw the red flag every pass play. But if you're going to review something, then why not review it to the same standard that every other review is held -- the standard you said you would use for PI review?

Take the Rock play from Sunday. PI, clear and obvious. If the ref had been on the other side of the play, the flag would have been thrown, and there'd be no path to overturn it. Apparently, the reason the challenge wasn't successful is because 'it wasn't egregious enough, we're gonna let it go,' and that's crazy to me. 

And no, I don't want every foul reviewed, but again, there's a limited number of challenges so that's not a concern. And when you're inside of two minutes, they would obviously apply a high standard to determine what plays to stop and review.