Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
EastStreet

Hats off to the running game!

Recommended Posts

With Mack going out after a tremendous start, Williams balls out. Hines not bad either although some were counted as pop passes.

 

I think they said it was the first time ever in Colts history that we have two 100 yard rushers.

 

Stupid defense by the Jags, but wow. Hope Mack's injury isn't bad, but nice seeing Williams step up as RB2. Some very good and hard running.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mack had 109 yards and was second in rushing on the team.   Awesome day

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holes were huge on some of those plays.  Line played as well as you can on the runs.  Still have some things to clean up on the right side for the pass, but the run was solid.

 

Was Williams really all that or was it the line?  It was a little bit of both, I think?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

Holes were huge on some of those plays.  Line played as well as you can on the runs.  Still have some things to clean up on the right side for the pass, but the run was solid.

 

Was Williams really all that or was it the line?  It was a little bit of both, I think?

it always is, but Williams seems to hit the hole quickly while Mack is a more patient running back. 

 

Different looks can be important to make the best use of your talent.  A defense ready for Mack will be caught off balance by Williams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But our line has regressed and we made a mistake by letting Gugs go...:D

 

Great win today!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we have a complete stable when healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

I agree, but I don't wear hats

We're you in this band?

 

41PNR6GY6NL.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Holes were huge on some of those plays.  Line played as well as you can on the runs.  Still have some things to clean up on the right side for the pass, but the run was solid.

 

Was Williams really all that or was it the line?  It was a little bit of both, I think?

 

Little of both. I though Williams looked great in some preseason time. I think Wilkins has more top end speed, but dances too much. Williams to me might now be as fast (he's not slow by any means), but much tougher runner, and better hole vision. 

 

But the line played great run blocking today. I think the Jags game plan made it easier on them, but still very impressive. 

 

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

it always is, but Williams seems to hit the hole quickly while Mack is a more patient running back. 

 

Different looks can be important to make the best use of your talent.  A defense ready for Mack will be caught off balance by Williams.

It depends what blocking scheme we are using. Mack is very patient and excellent when we are zone blocking (he picks the hole), but does hit the hole faster when man blocking (hole is pre-defined).

 

Today especially, and in general, the Jags DL favors pass rushing (penetration). Didn't really matter what scheme we used as they were trying to penetrate all day instead of run defending. Completely bad game plan on the D by the Jags as it was pretty obvious what we were going to do coming in to today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

I agree, but I don't wear hats

 

you can dance though

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shakedownstreet said:

 

Everybody look at your hands!

 

Everybody's taking a chance!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness to Ballard, he has always spoke highly about Williams, even when he was always a healthy scratch this past year and a half. He never dropped him to the practice squad as he was afraid he was going to be picked up. We saw why today.

 

Also, all of people have been calling to bring in a more physical, one-cut running back to backup Mack. It could be we always had that with Williams! Hopefully Mack can get back for Houston, I'd like to see a Mack/Williams 1-2 punch the next day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shakedownstreet said:

I think maybe the Colts were men without hats today

Mack was definitely looking at his hand on the sideline....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams looks much more physical then WIlkins. He seems like a better compliment to Mack.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Williams looks much more physical then WIlkins. He seems like a better compliment to Mack.

 

Stop taking the thread off topic!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shakedownstreet said:

 

Stop taking the thread off topic!

This thread is about the run game lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Williams looks much more physical then WIlkins. He seems like a better compliment to Mack.

 

 

 

Then Holder said Mack’s injury “sounds serious.” So, I guess we’ll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

In fairness to Ballard, he has always spoke highly about Williams, even when he was always a healthy scratch this past year and a half. He never dropped him to the practice squad as he was afraid he was going to be picked up. We saw why today.

 

Also, all of people have been calling to bring in a more physical, one-cut running back to backup Mack. It could be we always had that with Williams! Hopefully Mack can get back for Houston, I'd like to see a Mack/Williams 1-2 punch the next day.

I'd say Williams is much better in a man blocking scheme, while Wilkins excels in zone. Wilkins can dance in both good and bad ways. I think even draft analysis said something like "he has more flight than fight"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

In fairness to Ballard, he has always spoke highly about Williams, even when he was always a healthy scratch this past year and a half. He never dropped him to the practice squad as he was afraid he was going to be picked up. We saw why today.

 

Also, all of people have been calling to bring in a more physical, one-cut running back to backup Mack. It could be we always had that with Williams! Hopefully Mack can get back for Houston, I'd like to see a Mack/Williams 1-2 punch the next day.

I think Williams had a great game today but let’s pump the brakes on the notion that we have that 1-2 punch now. Also, when CB praises a guy, I take it with a grain of salt anymore because he was super complimentary of Cain, who is now on another team, Wilson who has been a healthy scratch for what 4-5 games now? Instead of giving high praise for every single guy on the roster instead of a little more actual truth, I’ll never take what CB says about anything as valuable info. 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Mack has a fractured hand. 

did they say what type, or what hand. i don't recall which one it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, fractured hand makes sense. Rarely does a player come out with a hurt hand that isn’t a break of some sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Williams looks much more physical then WIlkins. He seems like a better compliment to Mack.

 

 

Fractured hand. The team is just instructed to flat out lie about everything. It’s crazy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Williams looks much more physical then WIlkins. He seems like a better compliment to Mack.

 

 

How many times have we heard that from a dinged up Colts player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

did they say what type, or what hand. i don't recall which one it was. 

He had them looking at the right on the review on the sidelines. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

I think Williams had a great game today but let’s pump the brakes on the notion that we have that 1-2 punch now. Also, when CB praises a guy, I take it with a grain of salt anymore because he was super complimentary of Cain, who is now on another team, Wilson who has been a healthy scratch for what 4-5 games now? Instead of giving high praise for every single guy on the roster instead of a little more actual truth, I’ll never take what CB says about anything as valuable info. 

I do agree CB is over-complimentary, but I do think Williams has potential, and at the very minimum, and is a lot closer to a "power back" than Wilkins. But yes, brakes need pumping, but also great to see, and OK to be optimistic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

I think Williams had a great game today but let’s pump the brakes on the notion that we have that 1-2 punch now. Also, when CB praises a guy, I take it with a grain of salt anymore because he was super complimentary of Cain, who is now on another team, Wilson who has been a healthy scratch for what 4-5 games now? Instead of giving high praise for every single guy on the roster instead of a little more actual truth, I’ll never take what CB says about anything as valuable info. 

 

I agree with that, thats fair, I only said we 'could' have a good backup to Mack.

 

I was coming at the angle that I think his style is more complimentary to Mack than what Wilkins offers. I'm not high on giving Mack 25+ carries every game given he has had durability issues in the past. 

 

Also, it was a little unusual to have a guy like Williams as a healthy scratch for like maybe like 20 games or so? (roughly) stretching back to last year. It clear Ballard and the coaching staff really liked him enough not to cut him, aside from what they say. Anyway on today, its clear he should be given more opportunities, possibly as the expense of Wilkins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Fractured hand. The team is just instructed to flat out lie about everything. It’s crazy 

Mack ain't a doctor. He probably DOES think he's fine... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Calmack said:

Mack ain't a doctor. He probably DOES think he's fine... 

Rub some bacon grease on it, and wrap it up tight and he'll be alllllrightttt

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

 

I agree with that, thats fair, I only said we 'could' have a good backup to Mack.

 

I was coming at the angle that I think his style is more complimentary to Mack than what Wilkins offers. I'm not high on giving Mack 25+ carries every game given he has had durability issues in the past. 

 

Also, it was a little unusual to have a guy like Williams as a healthy scratch for like maybe like 20 games or so? (roughly) stretching back to last year. It clear Ballard and the coaching staff really liked him enough not to cut him, aside from what they say. Anyway on today, its clear he should be given more opportunities, possibly as the expense of Wilkins.

I like your thinking and posts here. I’m not saying he isn’t good but in the game thread too many posters were making it out with every positive play that ahhhh, we finally have the pro bowler we’ve waited for. Not you necessarily but too many. Same with Johnson at wr. But I know we’ve heard the staff be high on Williams both last year and this year and we’ve seen some runs during the preseasons and in a game or two in his time with the Colts. He is certainly one to watch, today was encouraging. Had last week shown him with a better outing, I’d be much more optimistic that this game isn’t a fluke. He is definitely going to see what he is next week. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I do agree CB is over-complimentary, but I do think Williams has potential, and at the very minimum, and is a lot closer to a "power back" than Wilkins. But yes, brakes need pumping, but also great to see, and OK to be optimistic.

Optimism is great and needed. I’ve had my football heart broken too many times over the years though with talent  flashed once and then lost to the abyss lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

In fairness to Ballard, he has always spoke highly about Williams, even when he was always a healthy scratch this past year and a half. He never dropped him to the practice squad as he was afraid he was going to be picked up. We saw why today.

 

Also, all of people have been calling to bring in a more physical, one-cut running back to backup Mack. It could be we always had that with Williams! Hopefully Mack can get back for Houston, I'd like to see a Mack/Williams 1-2 punch the next day.

Mack fractured  hand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we will find out tomorrow if he will miss any extended time. Let’s pray it isn’t as bad as Campbell’s.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • With 3 interceptions Winston's QBR was 11 points higher (better) than Brissett. This shouldn't even be possible when you score 35 points but we did it.  Our completion % is horrible 
    • We're just starting to get all the pieces of the puzzle. This needs to continue, but we need to learn how to put them all together and play for 60 minutes.   We really need to figure out how to address suffering too many injuries. I suspect people are trying to overplay their positions and talent level. This is especially true when one player tries to cover the mistakes of another player. Just don't do it!
    • Agreed. That is what is so dang upsetting about this season. This TEAM is better at every position than it was two years ago and even last year (when healthy) except for one position. That being QB. Brissett is not a bad QB. He’s a solid QB but he’s still lacking in several non-physical areas. Being that they are mental, perhaps they can be coached out. But I don’t think he’s going to be much more than a Alex Smith type QB. I see that being his ceiling. Now does Ballard pull a magic trick and upgrade, maybe. That remains to be seen
    • The sticking with the zone D was my biggest disappointment. I don't expect miracles from Brissett or supposedly elite Hooker (who admittedly is tackling better but seems out of position a lot either by mistake or by the design of the D). Maybe they were afraid to play man out of some combination of fearing they couldn't match the speed of Goodwin/Evans or with Moore being out. But the zone obviously wasn't working. If they had to stick with it, couldn't they have at least changed it up to put at least one lb in the deep middle like Okereke to try and stop the not so slow death of playing zone D?
    • Still hope we draft a receiver or target 1 in free agency. Maybe trade for Godwin 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...