Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hats off to the running game!

EastStreet

With Mack going out after a tremendous start, Williams balls out. Hines not bad either although some were counted as pop passes.

I think they said it was the first time ever in Colts history that we have two 100 yard rushers.

Stupid defense by the Jags, but wow. Hope Mack's injury isn't bad, but nice seeing Williams step up as RB2. Some very good and hard running.

• Like 6

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

Holes were huge on some of those plays.  Line played as well as you can on the runs.  Still have some things to clean up on the right side for the pass, but the run was solid.

Was Williams really all that or was it the line?  It was a little bit of both, I think?

it always is, but Williams seems to hit the hole quickly while Mack is a more patient running back. 

Different looks can be important to make the best use of your talent.  A defense ready for Mack will be caught off balance by Williams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Holes were huge on some of those plays.  Line played as well as you can on the runs.  Still have some things to clean up on the right side for the pass, but the run was solid.

Was Williams really all that or was it the line?  It was a little bit of both, I think?

Little of both. I though Williams looked great in some preseason time. I think Wilkins has more top end speed, but dances too much. Williams to me might now be as fast (he's not slow by any means), but much tougher runner, and better hole vision. 

But the line played great run blocking today. I think the Jags game plan made it easier on them, but still very impressive. 

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

it always is, but Williams seems to hit the hole quickly while Mack is a more patient running back. 

Different looks can be important to make the best use of your talent.  A defense ready for Mack will be caught off balance by Williams.

It depends what blocking scheme we are using. Mack is very patient and excellent when we are zone blocking (he picks the hole), but does hit the hole faster when man blocking (hole is pre-defined).

Today especially, and in general, the Jags DL favors pass rushing (penetration). Didn't really matter what scheme we used as they were trying to penetrate all day instead of run defending. Completely bad game plan on the D by the Jags as it was pretty obvious what we were going to do coming in to today. 

• Like 1

In fairness to Ballard, he has always spoke highly about Williams, even when he was always a healthy scratch this past year and a half. He never dropped him to the practice squad as he was afraid he was going to be picked up. We saw why today.

Also, all of people have been calling to bring in a more physical, one-cut running back to backup Mack. It could be we always had that with Williams! Hopefully Mack can get back for Houston, I'd like to see a Mack/Williams 1-2 punch the next day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

In fairness to Ballard, he has always spoke highly about Williams, even when he was always a healthy scratch this past year and a half. He never dropped him to the practice squad as he was afraid he was going to be picked up. We saw why today.

Also, all of people have been calling to bring in a more physical, one-cut running back to backup Mack. It could be we always had that with Williams! Hopefully Mack can get back for Houston, I'd like to see a Mack/Williams 1-2 punch the next day.

I'd say Williams is much better in a man blocking scheme, while Wilkins excels in zone. Wilkins can dance in both good and bad ways. I think even draft analysis said something like "he has more flight than fight"

6 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think Williams had a great game today but let’s pump the brakes on the notion that we have that 1-2 punch now. Also, when CB praises a guy, I take it with a grain of salt anymore because he was super complimentary of Cain, who is now on another team, Wilson who has been a healthy scratch for what 4-5 games now? Instead of giving high praise for every single guy on the roster instead of a little more actual truth, I’ll never take what CB says about anything as valuable info. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

I think Williams had a great game today but let’s pump the brakes on the notion that we have that 1-2 punch now. Also, when CB praises a guy, I take it with a grain of salt anymore because he was super complimentary of Cain, who is now on another team, Wilson who has been a healthy scratch for what 4-5 games now? Instead of giving high praise for every single guy on the roster instead of a little more actual truth, I’ll never take what CB says about anything as valuable info. 

I do agree CB is over-complimentary, but I do think Williams has potential, and at the very minimum, and is a lot closer to a "power back" than Wilkins. But yes, brakes need pumping, but also great to see, and OK to be optimistic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

I agree with that, thats fair, I only said we 'could' have a good backup to Mack.

I was coming at the angle that I think his style is more complimentary to Mack than what Wilkins offers. I'm not high on giving Mack 25+ carries every game given he has had durability issues in the past. 

Also, it was a little unusual to have a guy like Williams as a healthy scratch for like maybe like 20 games or so? (roughly) stretching back to last year. It clear Ballard and the coaching staff really liked him enough not to cut him, aside from what they say. Anyway on today, its clear he should be given more opportunities, possibly as the expense of Wilkins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I agree with that, thats fair, I only said we 'could' have a good backup to Mack.

I was coming at the angle that I think his style is more complimentary to Mack than what Wilkins offers. I'm not high on giving Mack 25+ carries every game given he has had durability issues in the past. 

Also, it was a little unusual to have a guy like Williams as a healthy scratch for like maybe like 20 games or so? (roughly) stretching back to last year. It clear Ballard and the coaching staff really liked him enough not to cut him, aside from what they say. Anyway on today, its clear he should be given more opportunities, possibly as the expense of Wilkins.

I like your thinking and posts here. I’m not saying he isn’t good but in the game thread too many posters were making it out with every positive play that ahhhh, we finally have the pro bowler we’ve waited for. Not you necessarily but too many. Same with Johnson at wr. But I know we’ve heard the staff be high on Williams both last year and this year and we’ve seen some runs during the preseasons and in a game or two in his time with the Colts. He is certainly one to watch, today was encouraging. Had last week shown him with a better outing, I’d be much more optimistic that this game isn’t a fluke. He is definitely going to see what he is next week. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I do agree CB is over-complimentary, but I do think Williams has potential, and at the very minimum, and is a lot closer to a "power back" than Wilkins. But yes, brakes need pumping, but also great to see, and OK to be optimistic.

Optimism is great and needed. I’ve had my football heart broken too many times over the years though with talent  flashed once and then lost to the abyss lol. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Mack fractured  hand