Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tagovailoa suffers potentially career-threatening injury

Tua suffers severe injury, emergency surgery tonight or tomorrow-

Maybe not 'exactly' same as Bo's, but if Tua needs hip replacement, that might end his career before it begins. :(

Dr. Chao weighs in:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-11-16/profootballdoc-alabama-tua-tagovailoa-hip-injury-nfl-career

33 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Tua suffers severe injury, emergency surgery tonight or tomorrow-

Maybe not 'exactly' same as Bo's, but if Tua needs hip replacement, that might end his career before it begins. :(

Dr. Chao weighs in:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-11-16/profootballdoc-alabama-tua-tagovailoa-hip-injury-nfl-career

Very sad. I don't think it should be as bad as Bo's, but regardless it's not something good to hear. He was looking good, I hope he regains his form when (if? :Cry:) he plays in the NFL.

44 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Apparently he didn’t fracture it and  is just dislocated. That is probably good news.

Improved news, if true, yet still not good ( and I haven't seen that verified) ... at least yet.  This from Dr Chao-

"This injury has potentially more long-lasting consequences even if it doesn’t require surgery.
Unfortunately, this injury can have long-term implications even without fracture, as the blood flow to the femoral head can be disrupted leading to avascular necrosis where the bone and then cartilage dies out becomes arthritic. Quick action with reduction ( my input- which I believe was accomplished, at the field ) will lessen this risk."

"In my career as a head team physician, I treated an NFL player who dislocated his hip in similar fashion. We were able to successfully reduce the hip on the sidelines, and the player returned in eight weeks and even caught a touchdown pass in his second game back, but he did not play after that year."

"We will have to see how this plays out, but this injury will almost certainly affect Tagovailoa’s draft position and possibly his career."

Hoping for the best for the young man.

Cain (Tua's orthopedic surgeon) said the dislocation was “immediately reduced at the stadium. [Tagovailoa] is undergoing further testing to determine the best course of treatment.”

• Like 1

A terrible thing to happen to anyone, but it's especially tragic because it happened to a young man with tremendous talent who potentially could have gone #1 in the draft. It's also a reminder of how one seemingly simple decision can impact an entire lifetime. Let's all hope and pray that he can make a full recovery and continue to pursue his dreams of a career in the NFL. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has had so many injuries he might drop in the draft quite a bit. If I was any team I would be skeptical of taking him in the first round.

He won't be healthy enough at combine or by draft to show his skill level.  No question he will fall. how far?  Will he go back to Alabama instead?

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He won't be healthy enough at combine or by draft to show his skill level.  No question he will fall. how far?  Will he go back to Alabama instead?

That is an interesting question since they have Jones, and his brother on the roster now and adding at least the top QB from Southern California 

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

IMO NFL scouts and personnel people don't need the combine or workouts to evaluate Tua's skill level as a prospect. They have plenty of tape and if that's not enough, an hour or two throwing against air will not give you any particularly great insight. The question is more about his recovery and long-term health prognosis IMO. That's where him being on the field might help alleviate some of the concerns... but again - if you trust your medical staff and evaluations and they give you the OK, you kind of have to take the leap... 

That's an interesting question about him returning back to Alabama... If he returns will he be ready for next season? Or will he medical redshirt it?  And if he does, what does that mean for his NFL ambitions? That he won't enter the draft until 2022? 

Skip 2020 draft... redshirt 2020-2021 season... play in 2021 and enter 2022 draft? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is an interesting question since they have Jones, and his brother on the roster now and adding at least the top QB from Southern California 

After seeing that, what kind of parent would allow their child to play for Saban? If my child had that much talent, I will have him play for a coach who shows more concern for his players. 

I wish the young man the best. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

After seeing that, what kind of parent would allow their child to play for Saban? If my child had that much talent, I will have him play for a coach who shows more concern for his players. 

One of my high school opponents was recruited by NS to Michigan State and played for and won a National Championship with him at LSU

19 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I can't recall now but didn't Dr. Chao believe that Jaylon Smith and the LB from UCLA (who plays for the Jags) would not recover well enough to have priductive NFL careers? I believe he said Smith suffered nerve damage that would hurt his career. Smith has done remarkably well. Imagine if he never got injured. 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO NFL scouts and personnel people don't need the combine or workouts to evaluate Tua's skill level as a prospect. They have plenty of tape and if that's not enough, an hour or two throwing against air will not give you any particularly great insight. The question is more about his recovery and long-term health prognosis IMO. That's where him being on the field might help alleviate some of the concerns... but again - if you trust your medical staff and evaluations and they give you the OK, you kind of have to take the leap... 

Skill level, post recovery.  Not what he exhibited before.

Red flags on this injury.

Dr. Chao had a Charger player suffer this, was brought back in 8 weeks, caught a TD 2nd game back, then never played again after that season.

Dennis Pitta sufferd it in 2013. Came back in 2014, dislocated it again. 2015  doctors informed Pitta that it was not safe for him to continue his career. Pitta was placed on season ending injured reserve.

2016 Pitta returned, had his best year. But On June 2, 2017, Pitta suffered another hip injury during organized team activities on a non-contact play. It was later determined that he had dislocated his hip for a third time. On June 7, Pitta was released by the Ravens. He went into broadcasting.

I fear for Tua and his football career. Hoping for the best.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I can't recall now but didn't Dr. Chao believe that Jalen Smith and the LB from UCLA (who plays for the Jags) would not recover well enough to have priductive NFL careers? I believe he said Smith suffered nerve damage that would hurt his career. Smith has done remarkably well. Imagine if he never got injured. 

Jaylon Smith, Cowboys.

No, I remember he said he might ever be completely what he well could have been. Something like a game wrecker the likes of Lawrence Taylor, or such.  I'll look it up.

• Thanks 1

I do remember him talking about Jaylon's nerve issue (especially after Peyton's).

"Any nerve injury is unpredictable; however, the typical pattern is for the majority of recovery to be early in the first few days/weeks and sometimes months. The longer it takes, the less likely it is to fully recover. Unfortunately, Smith's injury timeline is approaching a year-and-a-half, and his continued use of an ankle foot orthosis (AFO) brace indicates that may be a permanent need."

I think Jaylon improved more than Peyton did. But Smith is younger too.  Nerve damage is not easy to predict. I still suffer ankle, top of foot issues from a herniated lumbar disc a couple years ago.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Wow I heard he was injured didn't know it was potentially career threatening.  I wonder if he had draft insurance?  

Good question.

Tua's main concern after his surgery will be the potential for AVN.  (Avascular necrosis)

Dr. Michael Banffy is an orthopedic surgeon at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, and he is also a team doctor for the L. A. Rams.

"What can happen with the dislocation is that blood vessels will either tear or they'll be placed on stretch for so long that the bone itself will lose its blood supply and that will cause death of the bone," Banffy said. "If you get it reduced right away, the idea is that will minimize the risk. But this is still something that you have to watch and it might not even present itself for a couple of months, similar to the way it did with Bo Jackson."

Tua's dislocation was reduced at the stadium before him being transported to the hospital. {Kudos there } In addition to the possible accelerated arthritis issue, there's chances of re-occurrence ( IE: Dennis Pitta ) of the dislocation.

There's also some damage to the articular cartilage and possibly labrum; thus further increased risk of arthritis in the future.  :(

I genuinely feel bad for the guy, and hope for the best.

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

Good news it seems after Tua's surgery... Prognosis - "excellent", "expected to make full recovery" ... 

So far so good. But I've been around the medical block a few times. Declaring successful surgery is like a team GM declaring a successful draft after turning in their card in round 1. Looks real good... at that time.

Hoping for best, but Tua has to rehab, and get on the field, and endure a season without setbacks/complications/re-dislocation.  And how much articular cartridge damage, and how is blood flow to femoral head (and potential for AVN) ?

My question... does he heal and recover/rehab like AP or Brees? Or more like Luck?

Still hope for the best but I know we won't know for awhile.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, NFLfan said:

You cannot blame this on Saban. Teams run up the score well into the second half all the time in college football. This was at the end of the first half. The coach intended to pull him after the half anyways. It is just easy to blame the big guy at the top. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, NFLfan said:

I'm surprised by this sentiment.

I am absolutely certain that you have no idea how much Saban cares about his players.  I couldn't disagree more with your statement.

17 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I'm surprised by this sentiment.

I am absolutely certain that you have no idea how much Saban cares about his players.  I couldn't disagree more with your statement.

What makes you so certain that he does? Serious question.   

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

You cannot blame this on Saban. Teams run up the score well into the second half all the time in college football. This was at the end of the first half. The coach intended to pull him after the half anyways. It is just easy to blame the big guy at the top. 

Did you see Tua immediately after the LSU game?

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Did you see Tua immediately after the LSU game?

The coach is going to consult his assistants and doctors and not go based on eyeball tests. It is football, and Tua is a tough kid, I’m sure it wasn’t the first time he played through injury, just that he ended up on the wrong side of it this time. No hindsight double guessing based on being emotional about it.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The coach is going to consult his assistants and doctors and not go based on eyeball tests. It is football, and Tua is a tough kid, I’m sure it wasn’t the first time he played through injury, just that he ended up on the wrong side of it this time. No hindsight double guessing based on being emotional about it.

I think it is naive to think that coaches and others that work for the school are looking out for the best interests of the student/player. That's just my opinion. We can agree to disagree. 

18 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

So far so good. But I've been around the medical block a few times. Declaring successful surgery is like a team GM declaring a successful draft after turning in their card in round 1. Looks real good... at that time.

Hoping for best, but Tua has to rehab, and get on the field, and endure a season without setbacks/complications/re-dislocation.  And how much articular cartridge damage, and how is blood flow to femoral head (and potential for AVN) ?

My question... does he heal and recover/rehab like AP or Brees? Or more like Luck?

Still hope for the best but I know we won't know for awhile.

Seems to me that docs will say something like "Time will tell" when they don't know.  

At the very least I think the surgeon would be able to tell if there is permanent damage when he went in there.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Seems to me that docs will say something like "Time will tell" when they don't know.  

No, the performing Dr. doesn't tell anybody (besides patient and close family) any details about it.  OTOH, other surgeons not involved in direct care will explain it.

At the very least I think the surgeon would be able to tell if there is permanent damage when he went in there. 

To an extent, so let me cut to the chase first-

One complication is the fact that AVN isn’t immediately noticeable and can take 3-6 months to even develop, requiring regular MRIs to monitor the hip's progress. 

“The most critical time is the first six months, then after that, if he looks great, the odds get better and better that he’s not going to have that problem,” Dr. Lowe said. “But there’s some worry about it (as far) out as probably a year to a year and a half to two years, I’d guess.”

Dr. Walt Lowe is the chief of orthopedic surgery at Memorial Hermann in Houston, where Tagovailoa underwent his surgery

Here's some additional info on Tua for you-

'While many remain hopeful regarding Tagovailoa's successful future in football — including Alabama team physician Dr. Lyle Cain describing his prognosis as "excellent" — other orthopedic experts acknowledged the lengthy and complicated recovery process involved for him to achieve his lifelong dream of playing in the NFL. '

Even with the perfect surgery and all that kind of stuff, there’s still some sort of questions about the outcome and that he doesn’t have any of the complications that can come with it,” said Dr. Walt Lowe

“We’re all eternal optimists as surgeons that take care of these guys, (but) I always tell my fellows — and this is a little tongue-in-cheek — that it’s better to have great genes than a great surgeon, though it's best if you have both,” Lowe added. “And this is one of those situations that even with a great surgeon and a great surgical result, you don’t know the outcome of it for a while.”

“The thing that makes it uncertain is that when the hip dislocates and it fractures off part of the cup part of the hip joint,” Lowe explained Saturday, “(and) sometimes it disrupts the blood supply to the end of the femur — the lower leg part of the hip joint.”

(I've heard a doctor refer to it like some sand in an engine.)

That is what is called avascular necrosis (AVN) and is what forced legendary Auburn running back Bo Jackson to retire from both football and baseball in the early 1990s, and eventually led to severe arthritis and the need for a hip replacement at the age of 29.

Unfortunately,  a few NFL players besides Bo suffered some complications from that injury (Dennis Pitta and his 3 dislocations, for one).  But these days, there are also some new medical treatments. Regenerative medicine (stem cells) and PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma), for a couple, that may be beneficial. The fact they reduced at at the stadium (hopefully within minutes of the dislocation) helps with the blood supply to the femoral head.  If that loses blood supply, the bone dies, changes shape, causes articular cartilage collapse and the joint rapidly degenerates. 

I hope for the best, and the best scenario at each step comes to pass.

58 minutes ago, MPStack said:

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/11/19/2020-nfl-draft-tua-tagovailoa-slips-in-mock-11-19/23/

Interesting mock with Tua dropping and going to the Colts. 

if he is supposed to make a full recovery its definitely worth the risk! a damn near lock at #1 or 2 and he falls to us easily the best possible outcome lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

if he is supposed to make a full recovery its definitely worth the risk! a damn near lock at #1 or 2 and he falls to us easily the best possible outcome lol

I think it’s doubtful he drops that far, if given a good prognosis, but yeah, I’d be good with Tua.