Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reichs quote on Jacoby and his leadership

Restinpeacesweetchloe

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@SteelCityColt recently dropped a Frank Reich quote on PFF. I've dropped a couple links about Ballard increasing his geek squad. I'll try to find them a bit later as I know it will take some digging (not really a big time topic for fans). 

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No rush, I was just curious where that had been stated.

I think this is the quote(from his time with the Eagles, but I don't see a reason why he wouldn't do similar things with the Colts):

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/12/eagles-super-bowl-zach-ertz-touchdown-wristband-145-mmqb-peter-king

Said Reich: “One of the things we asked Mike at the beginning of the year was always look at stacks and bunches. We always feel like stacks and bunches is important to understand how things play out. He is our stacks and bunches guru. We use PFF [Pro Football Focus] to give us a folder of stacks and bunches every week.” 

On JB and the Jags game.  JB had a good game.  He made a couple of great plays and he made a couple of boneheaded plays as well. The run and TD pass inside the 5 were both great plays.  The sack on the CB blitz falls on JB, you clearly hear him yelling kill, kill and then he did not recognize the blitz before or after the snap, he had a couple of throws that were not even close to the WR and there was no reason (like he was trying to throw it to a spot only the receiver could get to), they were just bad throws.

Lastly, people wanted to run Hoyer out of town after he turned the ball over 3 times against Miami.  But yet, JB turns the ball over twice and the fans talk about how he takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over.

I'm not taking anything away from JB or his leadership skills, just going to say there are a lot of starting and back-up QBs in the league that would win when the team has the running game going like the Colts did yesterday.  Considering it's a safe bet the Colts are not going to be able to average 7.8 yards per carry every game, I think the Colts need more than 6.16 yards per completion/9.8 yards per attempt, 2 TDs and 2 turnovers from the starting QB to make a push for a playoff spot.  JB has shown flashes that he can do more let's hope those flashes continue to become more frequent.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But yet, JB turns the ball over twice and the fans talk about how he takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over.

You mean this INT...  with 4 minutes left in the game with a big lead? Basically a deep shot that acts the same as a punt?

3rd & 6 at IND 49

(4:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Brissett pass deep right intended for Z.Pascal INTERCEPTED by J.Wilson at JAX 10. J.Wilson ran ob at JAX 10 for no gain.

Sounds to me like Frank was taking an opportunity to let JB heave one without much consequences in garbage time.

and the Stats show this for fumbles-

Indianapolis Fumbles

FUM            LOST                REC

B. Okereke               1                   1 *                     0

J. Brissett                 1                    0                       0

TEAM                       2                   1                        0

Say JB fumbled, but Colts recovered. Okereke lost one, it says.

I'm not worried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You mean this INT...  with 4 minutes left in the game with a big lead? Basically a deep shot that acts the same as a punt?

3rd & 6 at IND 49

(4:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Brissett pass deep right intended for Z.Pascal INTERCEPTED by J.Wilson at JAX 10. J.Wilson ran ob at JAX 10 for no gain.

Sounds to me like Frank was taking an opportunity to let JB heave one without much consequences in garbage time.

and the Stats show this for fumbles-

Indianapolis Fumbles

FUM            LOST                REC

B. Okereke               1                   1 *                     0

J. Brissett                 1                    0                       0

TEAM                       2                   1                        0

Say JB fumbled, but Colts recovered. Okereke lost one, it says.

I'm not worried.

yes that is still an INT.  And and first I was thinking JB lost the fumble on the strip sack, but the Colts were able to recover.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No rush, I was just curious where that had been stated.

https://www.colts.com/news/use-of-analytics-involved-in-chris-ballard-s-decision-making-18525059

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/04/13/colts-hire-analytics-staffer/82996472/

https://theathletic.com/549166/2018/09/26/how-analytics-are-changing-the-colts-one-decision-at-a-time/

Here's a few articles that talk about two of the main hires and approach, plus a thread talking about one of them. Haven't been able to find the podcast that talks about Park and Li's support geeks. I also think the scouting (draft) team has analytics/database geeks. Can't find the best one from around draft time earlier this year that talked about the evolving team.

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

yes that is still an INT. 

Yeah Fluke Int Pascal could have made a great play on, but made a bad play tipping it up-

UdrAUsc.jpg

ZHLi4Xf.jpg

KIODlpe.jpg

This does not bother me: Timing, type of play, score lead, and would have to punt next play on an incompletion and hope for the same result, etc...

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And and first I was thinking JB lost the fumble on the strip sack, but the Colts were able to recover.

Strip sacks aren't good.  Twists and stunts are blowing up Glow/Smith.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah Fluke Int Pascal could have made a great play on, but made a bad play tipping it up-

UdrAUsc.jpg

ZHLi4Xf.jpg

KIODlpe.jpg

This does not bother me: Timing, type of play, score lead, and would have to punt next play on an incompletion and hope for the same result, etc...

Not to mention if you look at that first photo again, that looks like textbook PI.  Pascal tipped it because he lost his balance and I think he was pushed down.  Pascal really wanted the call, too, you could tell he knew he'd been touched

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, EastStreet said:

I'm not against investing at WR. Personally I'd love to pick up someone in the draft after we address bigger needs. That said, I think some are over inflating the need, and are somewhat void of reality in terms of what impact a new WR would have with the present personnel.

Some act like Ballard dropped the ball which I think is hilarious. You can criticize him on a few position groups like DT, but not WR. Not only did we take PC in the draft early, we also went out and spent 10M on a FA. Now the injury bug has bitten us hard, but that doesn't negate Ballard's attempts to upgrade. We still don't know what we have in PC and Funch, and we won't know until they get back, which shouldn't be too long.

I'd also say that folks need to consider three things when thinking about the impact of new WR.... 1) As long as we are a run heavy team, WRs will simply take longer to develop given the decreased opportunity. 2) Reich's offense with JB is possession heavy passing which negates or limits dynamic WRs to an extent. 3) Until JB improves his progressions, anyone beyond WR1 and TE1 will struggle to get consistent targets.

In short, I think people have an inflated view of the impact, and will simply be disappointed when a new guy comes in and doesn't set the world on fire. Especially if that new WR is a deep threat guy. IMO, the only WR type that will have significant impact early would be a possession guy which many would find "boring"... 

I can't argue with that.  WR is a problem now because of injuries not because we didn't have some solid one's lined up.  

I think people forget that.  But reality is you just can not plan to lose your top 3 players at one position.  So Ballard didn't drop the ball.  

One of the reasons we likely beat Kansas City was that they at the time where down their top receivers and their offense is much more reliant upon the passing attack than ours.

That said WR is still potentially an issue.  Paris Campbell is still a question mark, TY is getting old and we don't know what's going to happen with Funch.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I can't argue with that.  WR is a problem now because of injuries not because we didn't have some solid one's lined up.  

I think people forget that.  But reality is you just can not plan to lose your top 3 players at one position.  So Ballard didn't drop the ball.  

One of the reasons we likely beat Kansas City was that they at the time where down their top receivers and their offense is much more reliant upon the passing attack than ours.

That said WR is still potentially an issue.  Paris Campbell is still a question mark, TY is getting old and we don't know what's going to happen with Funch.  

To me, we simply need to wait and see. Hopefully Campbell and Funch get back soon so we can evaluate them. I'm not panicking yet on TY. I don't think he's any slower, and he's no more injury prone than the rest LOL. Hamstrings suck. I would like to take a WR mid rounds regardless. If we keep JB, it needs to be a possession guy. If we go in a different QB direction, someone more dynamic. I'd love Chase Claypool if doesn't rise a bunch in the draft.

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To me, we simply need to wait and see. Hopefully Campbell and Funch get back soon so we can evaluate them. I'm not panicking yet on TY. I don't think he's any slower, and he's no more injury prone than the rest LOL. Hamstrings suck. I would like to take a WR mid rounds regardless. If we keep JB, it needs to be a possession guy. If we go in a different QB direction, someone more dynamic. I'd love Chase Claypool if doesn't rise a bunch in the draft.

TY is more injury prone now than he was when he was younger.  Last couple years he's always had some nagging soft tissue injury in his leg.  

He still doesn't miss a lot of games and is a productive player.  But he isn't quite what he used to be.

I'm pretty convinced that Brissett isn't the long term solution.  He has good qualities and I think he works out as a pinch starter ala Ryan Fitzpatrick.  But I also think he has some obvious weaknesses and I think Reich's scheming to cover up a lot of those weaknesses.  

I also remember they said "We think he's a top 20 QB."  The wording I find a little strange because there likely isn't 20 franchise QB's out there.  A healthy Alex Smith for example is likely a top 20 quarterback.  

47 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

TY is more injury prone now than he was when he was younger.  Last couple years he's always had some nagging soft tissue injury in his leg.  

He still doesn't miss a lot of games and is a productive player.  But he isn't quite what he used to be.

I'm pretty convinced that Brissett isn't the long term solution.  He has good qualities and I think he works out as a pinch starter ala Ryan Fitzpatrick.  But I also think he has some obvious weaknesses and I think Reich's scheming to cover up a lot of those weaknesses.  

I also remember they said "We think he's a top 20 QB."  The wording I find a little strange because there likely isn't 20 franchise QB's out there.  A healthy Alex Smith for example is likely a top 20 quarterback.  

IDK, we've had a lot of guys with soft tissue issues. How many games has Desir missed, and he's not even 25 is he? I agree TY might be getting more injury prone, but I still think he's got a couple more really good years left in the tank. I'd like to see him switch to slot once he starts slowing. He could extend his career by another 2-4 years.

21 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

UdrAUsc.jpg

ZHLi4Xf.jpg

KIODlpe.jpg

It was an ill advised throw, Pascal had two defenders covering him and he was along the sideline so JB couldn't throw away from a defender.

But I do agree, 1 INT at that point of the game is not devasting.  Like I said, I was thinking two turnovers.

Twists and stunts are blowing up Glow/Smith.

This part is not true.  When Smith is beat it usually by speed.  Glow is typically getting beat by power.  But neither are getting beat all that often.  What's been giving the oline fits is on delayed blitzes, the D waits for the lineman to commit to one side or the other and then run in behind them.

In the Jags game, one sack was AC getting beat (the strip sack), one sack was Smith getting beat (I believe I would have to go back and rewatch it but I remember thinking during the game that Smith is the one that gave up the 1st sack) and the 3rd sack was because JB made the wrong call at the LOS and a CB came on a blitz untouched.

in the Steelers and Miami games the defenses were stacking the box and either bringing more than the line could block or doing a zone blitz and overloading one side of the line.