Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell & Tyquan Lewis

BProland85

What exactly is going on with these 2 highly drafted players? Campbell can't seem to stay on the field for more than half a game, and I haven't seen Lewis at all in this season.

Is Campbell seriously just made of glass? He didn't appear that way coming out of college. 

Is Lewis just having issues practicing or learning the defense? 

These guys were drafted with high picks and have too much talent to not be on the field. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Campbell just seems to be having bad luck this season.

Lewis I have not the slightest clue

I’d concur 100% with both players. You can’t label PC with a “glass“ designation yet as he has had 3 separate issues since arriving. While alarming with the first issue for a speed guy and a hamstring healing, the other two sound like just stuff that happens as part of normal life problems. I’m not even sure what the stomach issue was, hernia?? The hand break is just bad luck but again, could happen to any of us in daily life activities if we function just the wrong way. 

for Lewis, man that is the million dollar question here. Idk what they are seeing, hearing or telling him during this season long odd treatment for him but it’s borderline Deon Cain like concern. At least Cain was a 6th rounder and should t be one of the guys you were looking at to border your program around. Lewis was a 2nd round guy and he should absolutely be one of those pieces you fully expected to use a centerpiece to your defensive rebuild. Lewis is either hurt, poorly practicing, has a bad attitude or the coaching staff has grudge for something he has done during his time here, held against him and being stubborn not to develop him. Something is definitely not well in that arena but what is the big ??

56 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Too many Urban Meyer OSU PEDs makes for bodies breaking down in the NFL.

LOL.

I can’t speak to that being a real issue or not. Lewis was kind of the tweener guy imho. Can he be big enough and keep his speed to hold up inside, can he be strong enough to hold up at DE is he a 3-4 olb player? He has traits of all 3 yet he doesn’t fit into one mold that allows him to stand out. That’s what I take away and the team took a high risk picking him thinking they felt they could turn all three of those position traits and turn them into 1 solid player. I felt like he was projected to be the DE, then we got Houston in FA, along with Sheard, the group felt he needed to go inside and he hasn’t panned out. I’m not sure they’ve handled him well and I feel like we aren’t going to get anything from him but another team will end up getting our Jerry Hughes. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

What exactly is going on with these 2 highly drafted players? Campbell can't seem to stay on the field for more than half a game, and I haven't seen Lewis at all in this season.

Is Campbell seriously just made of glass? He didn't appear that way coming out of college. 

Is Lewis just having issues practicing or learning the defense? 

These guys were drafted with high picks and have too much talent to not be on the field. 

Campbell, as others have said, is dealing with a case of bad luck.. 

As much as I like seeing my Buckeyes in the NFL, and playing with the Colts, in my opinion Tyquan was overdrafted and then pushed/molded to play a position he really didn't play much of in college. Tyquan wasn't overly athletic at the 250-260'ish lbs he played in college, playing DE. He then he comes to Indy and they want to add weight to him and shove him inside. It still boggles my mind why they did this. Drafting him to play predominantly out of his natural position was not worth taking him in the 2nd. I believe he'd still be decent, serviceable, fit behind Sheard, but the team isn't even doing that. I think his time is Indy is done and they are going to move on from him next year.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Campbell, at least you can have hope for the future. I don't think you can call him John Ross II, the often injured Bengals wr, until the injuries keep coming his second year.

Lewis appears to be some combination of misfit, over draft, effort issue. It doesn't look like a long Colts tenure is likely.

18 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I can’t speak to that being a real issue or not. Lewis was kind of the tweener guy imho. Can he be big enough and keep his speed to hold up inside, can he be strong enough to hold up at DE is he a 3-4 olb player? He has traits of all 3 yet he doesn’t fit into one mold that allows him to stand out. That’s what I take away and the team took a high risk picking him thinking they felt they could turn all three of those position traits and turn them into 1 solid player. I felt like he was projected to be the DE, then we got Houston in FA, along with Sheard, the group felt he needed to go inside and he hasn’t panned out. I’m not sure they’ve handled him well and I feel like we aren’t going to get anything from him but another team will end up getting our Jerry Hughes. 

He may wind up in NE as one of those players that fills multiple needs, Belichick style.

Lewis is just not a good player...on top of other issues apparently.

If he truly does have effort issues...or something else like that...then that’s even worse because his “character” is likely a big reason Ballard reached so bad on him. 

Just never liked that pick. I am hoping we don’t look back and see how bad the Colts missed with all of these Day Two DL tweener players.

Campbell, on the other hand, has great upside...he just needs to get and stay healthy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

If he truly does have effort issues...or something else like that...then that’s even worse because his “character” is likely a big reason Ballard reached so bad on him. 

Just never liked that pick. I am hoping we don’t look back and see how bad the Colts missed with all of these Day Two DL tweener players.

Campbell, on the other hand, has great upside...he just needs to get and stay healthy. 

There was a interview with Lewis a couple of weeks ago in the IndyStar. He sounded really frustrated. It didn’t sound like he would have a issue with effort. I wonder if the injuries have made him lose a step. He is also in a weird spot where he is kind of a tweener. He isn’t a DE and he is to small for the inside. I wonder if he would do better in a 3-4 as a outside linebacker.

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Truth. I was never a fan of that pick either...probably one of the only times I was legitimately disappointed with a pick under Ballard (besides Banogu, but jury's still out on him, he's done okay). Just seemed super low upside and, as you mentioned, problems with being a tweener.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There was a interview with Lewis a couple of weeks ago in the IndyStar. He sounded really frustrated. It didn’t sound like he would have a issue with effort. I wonder if the injuries have made him lose a step. He is also in a weird spot where he is kind of a tweener. He isn’t a DE and he is to small for the inside. I wonder if he would do better in a 3-4 as a outside linebacker.

He's absolutely a DE. He's not athletic/rangy enough to play either OLB spots, but he could be a serviceable/rotational LDE in a 4-3 system like the Colts'.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He's absolutely a DE. He's not athletic/rangy enough to play either OLB spots, but he could be a serviceable/rotational LDE in a 4-3 system like the Colts'.

Maybe they just need to get him out there and give him a chance. Especially with the Turay injury. He was playing DE last year and seemed to do ok. Then this year they wanted to move him back inside.

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He was really ineffective last year at DE I think PFF gave him one of the worst DE grades in the league. I think they recognized this...and didn't want to put him there again. But then injuries kept piling up.

I thought he might provide some value as a pass-rushing DL on 3rd down....but even if healthy...I think he's buried on the depth chart.

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

He may wind up in NE as one of those players that fills multiple needs, Belichick style.

Would not surprise. NE is a team who just seems to get the most out of marginal people playing inside that system. 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe they just need to get him out there and give him a chance. Especially with the Turay injury. He was playing DE last year and seemed to do ok. Then this year they wanted to move him back inside.

The main reason he even played DE last year was because of injuries (namely Turay). I don't think they ever had much intention of playing him there. Going back to Ballard's quotes when they activated him from IR last year...you can tell they want him as an interior DL player.

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He was really ineffective last year at DE I think PFF gave him one of the worst DE grades in the league. I think they recognized this...and didn't want to put him there again. But then injuries kept piling up.

I thought he might provide some value as a pass-rushing DL on 3rd down....but even if healthy...I think he's buried on the depth chart.

The only 1 thing I can think of is the Colts felt like Sheard was a very solid edge setter, Houston would definitely be the super pass rusher and they must have felt their NT spot was going to be able to protect a smaller, quick but smaller DT in Lewis, to get the backfield penetration. The NT hasn’t been much to call home about and our outside pass rush hasn’t been menacing enough either. Just hat on hats and we aren’t winning enough of those matches. Not sure what’s going on for the coaching staff in practices and Lewis’ attitude and all. It’s just so mysterious. 

25 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He was playing the right side, which he wasn't going to be productive at anyways, because he's not a rush-type end. He wasn't at OSU and of course against NFL LT's he's not going to produce. He's a strong side DE, which Sheard was already starting at anyways. 

23 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

you can tell they want him as an interior DL player.

Again, why would they play him at a position he didn't play in college?

11 minutes ago, fahlman said:

Tyquan Lewis is still on his rookie contract for a couple more years and he will be here until that contact expires.

I mean...Basham was on a rookie deal.

And Fountain and Cain both have a couple years left. Wouldn't surprise me if at least two of those players are not here next year. Won't surprise me at all if 2/3 of Lewis, Fountain and Cain aren't here next year.

I don't see Ballard stubbornly holding onto players that aren't helping the team...he will just go out and find ones that can.

8 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He was playing the right side, which he wasn't going to be productive at anyways, because he's not a rush-type end. He wasn't at OSU and of course against NFL LT's he's not going to produce. He's a strong side DE, which Sheard was already starting at anyways. 

Again, why would they play him at a position he didn't play in college?

Because the Colts aren't very good at scouting DL players in college? Because that's what Eberflus wants?

I really don't know. This is sort of what they do though...they put Smith at RT, were going to try Banogu at SAM, moved Tell to CB...and wanted to put Lewis at DT.