Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What should the NFL do with Garrett?

Four2itus

We've seen what the NFL does to player misconduct off the field. Especially when it involves assault....especially  when there is video proof. Well, the video is all over the internet. 

Not that assault cannot happen during the game, but in addition, this was after the whistle. How is this not assault? He viciously swings a helmet right on to the head of Rudolf. 

My opinion is very clear...life banishment. This moment is in your hands NFL...what will you do?

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Hes been suspended the rest of the season.

Truthfully he should go to jail for that. If I hit someone over the head with a brick I'd be facing assault charges. Whats the difference with what he did?

I was thinking about that earlier. It is like being at a bar and jawing with someone but that person picks up a beer bottle and hits you over the head with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was thinking about that earlier. It is like being at a bar and jawing with someone but that person picks up a beer bottle and hits you over the head with it.

Yup exactly. We would all be facing charges (maybe even attempted murder) over doing that type of thing. I hope Rudolph considers pressing some cause he should IMO. That could have killed him or threw him into a coma.

• Like 1

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Yup exactly. We would all be facing charges (maybe even attempted murder) over doing that type of thing. I hope Rudolph considers pressing some cause he should IMO. That could have killed him or threw him into a coma.

Rudolph probably won't pursue it but had he been seriously hurt he probably would. The state of Ohio still could pursue this though, it is really up to the state in these cases.

• Like 1

Here is the rub. Its about physics. Thank goodness his arm was impeded as he swung the helmet. If he had a clear...unobstructed shot at MR's head, could a 250+# NFL Defensive player generate enough force to seriously maim, or even cause death. I think folks know the answer to that. 

This is not just a "Field of play" incident. There has to be a precedent created that clearly shows what cannot happen in an NFL game. Would this not be that moment?

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That would be setting a bad precedent 

He was basically clubbed in the head. Its probably a miracle he didn't get knocked out cold. 

If I were in a park playing with people and picked up a rock and slammed it on someones head I would've left in hand cuffs.

They gotta make sure that type of thing never happens again.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

We've seen what the NFL does to player misconduct off the field. Especially when it involves assault....especially  when there is video proof. Well, the video is all over the internet. 

Not that assault cannot happen during the game, but in addition, this was after the whistle. How is this not assault? He viciously swings a helmet right on to the head of Rudolf. 

My opinion is very clear...life banishment. This moment is in your hands NFL...what will you do?

its already been announced, 45 minutes ago, in the Browns/steeler thread

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Here is the rub. Its about physics. Thank goodness his arm was impeded as he swung the helmet. If he had a clear...unobstructed shot at MR's head, could a 250+# NFL Defensive player generate enough force to seriously maim, or even cause death. I think folks know the answer to that. 

This is not just a "Field of play" incident. There has to be a precedent created that clearly shows what cannot happen in an NFL game. Would this not be that moment?

He did 

It is called an indefinite suspension 

Anything past that initiated by Rudolph sets a bad precedent 

Any player who feels wrong by another player and/or team could sue

3 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

He was basically clubbed in the head. Its probably a miracle he didn't get knocked out cold. 

If I were in a park playing with people and picked up a rock and slammed it on someones head I would've left in hand cuffs.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He did 

I never said what MG did was right just anything beyond what the NFL started by MR could lead to frivolous lawsuits down the line by other “wronged” players

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He did 

I never said, nor implied that I feel anything should be initiated by the victim. I am speaking purely about the NFL. Someone else in this thread might be indicating that. 

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

They did

There are some out there including MRs Agent discussing charges/lawsuit

I get that. But you quoted me, talking about something I never said. 

You said to me, "Anything past that initiated by Rudolph sets a bad precedent 

Any player who feels wrong by another player and/or team could sue"

I agree with that. I am talking about the NFL. Indefinite suspension is not a ban. This is not a clear message. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I get that. But you quoted me, talking about something I never said. 

You said to me, "Anything past that initiated by Rudolph sets a bad precedent 

Any player who feels wrong by another player and/or team could sue"

I agree with that. I am talking about the NFL. Indefinite suspension is not a ban. This is not a clear message. 

NFL have rules for suspensions

Losing game checks and possibly endorsements are a clear message

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So tell me, what if MR is in a coma this morning....are your views exactly the same?

yes. However, I think you'd be seeing a criminal investigation as well. The league's suspension will not stop said criminal investigation should Rudolph wish to pursue that option

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yes. However, I think you'd be seeing a criminal investigation as well. The league's suspension will not stop said criminal investigation should Rudolph wish to pursue that option

No sure the elected DA in Cleveland would want to do or find a jury

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So tell me, what if MR is in a coma this morning....are your views exactly the same?

Yes

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I said he should get 6 games = rest of the season. It was just announced he is out for the season.

Indefinitely for the rest of the season would mean that even if they make the playoffs, he will be out as long as the Browns are in this season. That is how I understood it, right?

• Like 1

One game for Larry Ogunjobi, 3 games for Maurkice Pouncey, none for Mason Rudolph, I was expecting at least a fine. I think the civil/criminal charge alleged possible threat from his agent/lawyer probably worked in his favor??

But once the news of the suspensions came out, I knew an article like this would come out:

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/pittsburgh-steelers-mason-rudolph-lit-the-match-started-the-fire-fanned-the-flames-not-suspended

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

One game for Larry Ogunjobi, 3 games for Maurkice Pouncey, none for Mason Rudolph, I was expecting at least a fine. I think the civil/criminal charge alleged possible threat from his agent/lawyer probably worked in his favor??

But once the news of the suspensions came out, I knew an article like this would come out:

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/pittsburgh-steelers-mason-rudolph-lit-the-match-started-the-fire-fanned-the-flames-not-suspended

He is receiving a fine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Indefinitely for the rest of the season would mean that even if they make the playoffs, he will be out as long as the Browns are in this season. That is how I understood it, right?

Indefinite, to me, means indefinite. Until further notice. Nothing more. Nothing less. He could be restored before his next game by my understanding of indefinite. I'm sure that won't happen, but indefinite just means until further notice.

people are acting like the NFL hasn't been around for 100 years and that violence on the NFL field has never happened before.

Honestly there is a tidal wave of hype around this incident that isn't in the least bit deserved.

the indefinite suspension is fair.  What Garrett did was very wrong and he needs to demonstrate that he learned his lesson before he should be allowed back on an NFL field.

Talk of criminal charges is asinine.  It's also probably a violation of agreements signed in order to become an NFL player, which I'm sure includes a waiver of legal indemnity for actions and injuries that take place in the ordinary course of play and practice on the football field.

Ultimately, this debate doesn't need to happen.  Justice has already been served, such as it is. 

Also as far as criminal or civil claims, Rudolph has practically zero grounds to pursue any further action since Rudolph's own hands are not exactly clean in this whole mess.  He was arguably the one that started the fight in the first place after all.

"I have video evidence that the plaintiff was the one to start the fight" has been the death of more than a few claims for civil damage or criminal charges in the courts of this country.  A jury isn't likely to favor the guy who started the fracas, even when he comes out worst from it

Because ultimately that's what I see.  I see Rudolph starting a fight, losing, then the two get separated, and Rudolph in an inexpicably, indescribably stupid move steps back up to Garrett and that's when the helmet happens.  At a certain point you have a responsibility not to put yourself in a position to be hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

people are acting like the NFL hasn't been around for 100 years and that violence on the NFL field has never happened before.

Honestly there is a tidal wave of hype around this incident that isn't in the least bit deserved.

the indefinite suspension is fair.  What Garrett did was very wrong and he needs to demonstrate that he learned his lesson before he should be allowed back on an NFL field.

Talk of criminal charges is asinine.  It's also probably a violation of agreements signed in order to become an NFL player, which I'm sure includes a waiver of legal indemnity for actions and injuries that take place in the ordinary course of play and practice on the football field.

Ultimately, this debate doesn't need to happen.  Justice has already been served, such as it is. 

Also as far as criminal or civil claims, Rudolph has practically zero grounds to pursue any further action since Rudolph's own hands are not exactly clean in this whole mess.  He was arguably the one that started the fight in the first place after all.

"I have video evidence that the plaintiff was the one to start the fight" has been the death of more than a few claims for civil damage or criminal charges in the courts of this country.  A jury isn't likely to favor the guy who started the fracas, even when he comes out worst from it

Because ultimately that's what I see.  I see Rudolph starting a fight, losing, then the two get separated, and Rudolph in an inexpicably, indescribably stupid move steps back up to Garrett and that's when the helmet happens.  At a certain point you have a responsibility not to put yourself in a position to be hurt.

There is a thing called reasonable force.  Garrett went above that.  Mason was not going at Garrett where it could b assumed that Garrett would have been have been injured by Masons actions. Garrett pushing back Madin would have been seen by most as reasonable . Not launching a football helmet with all his force directed at Masons head. Garrett is not a normal human being.  He is a freak of nature who could easily injure someone by just using a fraction of his strength.

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

There is a thing called reasonable force.  Garrett went above that. 

I agree.  That's why Garrett was penalized within the NFL framework.

Mason was not going at Garrett where it could b assumed that Garrett would have been have been injured by Masons actions. Garrett pushing back Madin would have been seen by most as reasonable . Not launching a football helmet with all his force directed at Masons head.

I agree, and that's why Garrett was penalized within the NFL framework.

Garrett is not a normal human being.  He is a freak of nature who could easily injure someone by just using a fraction of his strength.

I agree, and that's why Garrett was penalized within the NFL framework.

Mason Rudolph is also a freak of nature who could easily injure someone.  I'd like to know when the moment happened that quarterbacks stopped being NFL football players.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

Indefinite, to me, means indefinite. Until further notice. Nothing more. Nothing less. He could be restored before his next game by my understanding of indefinite. I'm sure that won't happen, but indefinite just means until further notice.

He is suspended for all of this season and for any potential post season games this year. Then, his suspension will be re-evaluated. That's what "indefinite" means in this case - not that he could come back at any time but that it will be at least all of this season and potentially more.

Source: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28087446/browns-myles-garrett-suspended-indefinitely-steelers-maurkice-pouncey-gets-3-game-ban

• Like 1

Give him a lifetime ban, and reevaluate in two-three years and see if he's learned his lesson, then possible reinstatement if warranted.....Ray Rice used his fist, Myles Garrett used a weapon(Helmet) and Rice is out indefinite.  Make an example for future conducts detriment to the team and the NFL....

8 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

How Rudolph didn't get a suspension as well is ridiculous

When Rudolph ran towards MG when they got up He entered what they call MUTUAL COMBAT at that time. He should be fined/suspended , not as severely as MG, but had he not came at MG the " getting clubbed" would have probably not happened. Not to mention the KICK to the groin that probably upset MG also. 

As protected as Qbs are in the NFL, you would thing Mason would have not tried to escalate the issue. Rudolph still contributed to the situation alot. 

I am saying this and I don't even like MG. 

• Like 1

It's a joke Mason Rudolph hasn't been suspended for multiple games. He started the fight, and escalated a tense situation. Kicked Garrett in the groin, and tried to take off his helmet. Myles was being held back, by two men, and Rudolph was still coming forward aggressively. Garrett acted in self defense, and the 6 games suspension is comical. 

10 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Give him a lifetime ban, and reevaluate in two-three years and see if he's learned his lesson, then possible reinstatement if warranted.....Ray Rice used his fist, Myles Garrett used a weapon(Helmet) and Rice is out indefinite.  Make an example for future conducts detriment to the team and the NFL....

By far the worst take. Lifetime ban? For a guy defending himself being attacked by 3 guys? You must be trolling lol. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Then you open the flood gates for everything that happens. First Rudolph will not Go and press charges nor would he testify in court.  The league surprisingly took care of it and his punishment is appropriate.  Garrett is Suh 2.0 an amazing talent who is an extreme hot head.

lastly if this did happen what next fans dialing 911 because of a hard hit?  (You laugh but Chara of the Bruins in the NHL literally had thAt happen to him in Montreal during an NHL game. Bunch of woke *.)