Indianapolis Colts
chad72

Should the Dolphins or Bears go after Cam Newton in the offseason?

Given the current landscape of QBs and teams that have not drafted a first round QB lately, the Dolphins stick out to me as the ones that would be in the market for a QB in the draft. However, I did think of them possibly changing course and not try to develop Rosen after they got to see him close enough and go after an established one.

Does anyone here think that Cam Newton becomes a FA and the Dolphins would go after him? With all the first round picks, they can fortify their line and talent to put around Cam Newton and that would instantly improve their team, IMO.

We also saw how finally giving up on Marcus Mariota and putting Ryan Tannehill in worked out for the Titans. Will the Bears do the same with Mitch Trubisky and go after Cam Newton hard?

Thoughts???

So long as we are not a player in it. Cam Newton regardless, of what his talents use to be, never matured mentally, in the NFL. He sulks too much when things don't go his way, instead of being a man and learning from it. Very child like in his maturity as a player, and with the mileage on his body now, he is only on the down swing of what's left of his career.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

So long as we are not a player in it. Cam Newton regardless, of what his talents use to be, never matured mentally, in the NFL. He sulks too much when things don't go his way, instead of being a man and learning from it. Very child like in his maturity as a player, and with the mileage on his body now, he is only on the down swing of what's left of his career.  

A lot of speculation on a person you've never met .   The guy is a freak athlete.   He is odd,  no doubt,   but he is talented

• Like 3

Dolphins r in a rebuild.  They will b going after one in the draft.  No sense in drafting a 31 year old qb who mayb 34 when the Dolphins start competing. Now him to the Bears makes sense

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

A lot of speculation on a person you've never met .   The guy is a freak athlete.   He is odd,  no doubt,   but he is talented

After seeing him go through his immature actions after lost games I wouldn't call any of that speculation. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Dolphins r in a rebuild.  They will b going after one in the draft.  No sense in drafting a 31 year old qb who mayb 34 when the Dolphins start competing. Now him to the Bears makes sense

Especially one that relies heavily upon his athletic talents like Cam.

Cam isn't going to be Drew Brees or Tom Brady and play into his 40's.  Once he loses his ability to run the football like he does he's going to be a backup at best.  

Only guys who can rely upon their abilities to play from the pocket can play as long as Brees and Brady.  

Chicago might be a player for him but would have to clear cap space.  But there is certainly the feeling in Chicago that they would be in a window if not for quarterback issues. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Anyone want to take a guess at what sort of market financially he is going to get if he does hit FA?

I am sure one with a lot of incentives built in.

Something like 3 years $55 mil. with $30 mil. guaranteed with another $15 mil. in incentives to push it up to $70 mil. if he stays healthy etc.???

Not elite money but not chump change either is what it will take.

I seem to remember another Chicago QB who was talented With questionable behavior and things didn’t turn out well.

I would say thats a hard no Cam is a shell of the QB he once was . 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 7:27 PM, jvan1973 said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I have know Cam since his days at Auburn. I thought out of their National Championship that he would be a big factor in the NFL. I have followed Cam since his days as Auburn. I have met him from college, and know him, So before you think you can judge me , make sure you know the facts! Cam was , I repeat was an exceptional talent , but now given his body wear , and his inability to learn from his mistakes, despite his mental blindness. in the NFL. He is on the down swing of his career.  Mental readiness has a lot to do in your NFL career.

I will always admire what Cam did for my beloved  Tigers in College , But that does not always transpire in the long term in the NFL. Buy the way my sister and brother in-law live in  Alabama and for 45 years pulled for Auburn, so don't give me that crap that we don't  know about Alabama players.  Sorry to go off on you  "jvan"  but don't just assume you perspicacity is above everyone else's knowledge . 

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I have know Cam since his days at Auburn. I thought out of their National Championship that he would be a big factor in the NFL. I have followed Cam since his days as Auburn. I have met him from college, and know him, So before you think you can judge me , make sure you know the facts! Cam was , I repeat was an exceptional talent , but now given his body wear , and his inability to learn from his mistakes, despite his mental blindness. in the NFL. He is on the down swing of his career.  Mental readiness has a lot to do in your NFL career.

I will always admire what Cam did for my beloved  Tigers in College , But that does not always transpire in the long term in the NFL. Buy the way my sister and brother in-law live in  Alabama and for 45 years pulled for Auburn, so don't give me that crap that we don't  know about Alabama players.  Sorry to go off on you  "jvan"  but don't just assume you perspicacity is above everyone else's knowledge . 

A lot of speculation by a guy that may have met him at some point in college....  allegedly.    That doesn't really mean anything.   I have met a TON of Notre Dame players.   It doesn't mean I know anything about their maturation into adulthood.  He is only 30 years old.   Fairly young for a qb.  

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, LockeDown said:

I seem to remember another Chicago QB who was talented With questionable behavior and things didn’t turn out well.

What is Cam's "questionable behavior"? Serious question.

I have never heard of any bad charges just behavior and a me first kind of guy. Superman when he’s happy and sulks when he isn’t.  I think he’s considered a poor leader. 

Bears don't need a Cam Newton type QB rather, a accurate pocket passer with a solid running game.  

On 11/15/2019 at 6:13 PM, jvan1973 said:

yA lot of speculation by a guy that may have met him at some point in college....  allegedly.    That doesn't really mean anything.   I have met at least  one of Notre Dame players.   It doesn't mean I know anything about their maturation into adulthood.  He is only 30 years old.   Fairly old for a qb.  

If you can't see he is on the down swing of his carrier, his body, is beat up, he can't run or scrabble the way he use too.. and he chokes in  adversity. pouts instead of developing mental toughness , Then maybe it is you who is speculating on what he might me able to become down the road. Tic Toc. A QB is a different breed, When you are use to winning , the same way you did in college, and your skills , that got you to that level deteriorate, Not everyone can reinvent their selves. The only one in recent memory, that changed his style of play and still was relevant for a while was Randell Cunningham, He had a similar style of play as Cam.  

On 11/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, chad72 said:

Given the current landscape of QBs and teams that have not drafted a first round QB lately, the Dolphins stick out to me as the ones that would be in the market for a QB in the draft. However, I did think of them possibly changing course and not try to develop Rosen after they got to see him close enough and go after an established one.

Does anyone here think that Cam Newton becomes a FA and the Dolphins would go after him? With all the first round picks, they can fortify their line and talent to put around Cam Newton and that would instantly improve their team, IMO.

We also saw how finally giving up on Marcus Mariota and putting Ryan Tannehill in worked out for the Titans. Will the Bears do the same with Mitch Trubisky and go after Cam Newton hard?

Thoughts???

Maybe it’s me...    but I think it’s way, way too soon to give up on Trubisky.

Im not even a big fan if his...  but it’s only been 2.5 years and last year was pretty good.     No need to decide anything right now.

But maybe that’s just me...  

It would make some sense for the Bears but not the Dolphins.  The Dolphins will have the draft picks to get a guy they want.   They are rebuilding the team and don't need a QB on the back end of his career.   Take out his running ability (which has been degrading quickly) and he is a 59% completion passer.   He does have a strong arm which would be nice in Chicago.   

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 2:34 PM, chad72 said:

Thoughts???

Don’t the Dolphins have three first round picks? If that’s the case, I’d take Burrow second overall and then the rest is whatever they want.

8 hours ago, Myles said:

It would make some sense for the Bears but not the Dolphins.  The Dolphins will have the draft picks to get a guy they want.   They are rebuilding the team and don't need a QB on the back end of his career.   Take out his running ability (which has been degrading quickly) and he is a 59% completion passer.   He does have a strong arm which would be nice in Chicago.   

Agreed. Newton wouldn’t work for Miami, but I think Chicago is good for him. Chicago really needs a QB and then they’re probably back in the mix of the playoff race next year. I’m looking for Chicago to pick up either Newton or Dalton in the off-season

• Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 7:34 AM, NFLfan said:

What is Cam's "questionable behavior"? Serious question.

Being upset at losses and doing Superman poses when he’s winning. The horror :woah:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Qwiz said:

Being upset at losses and doing Superman poses when he’s winning. The horror :woah:

I mean be fair he did put a towel on his head..

• Haha 3

On 11/17/2019 at 7:16 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe it’s me...    but I think it’s way, way too soon to give up on Trubisky.

It's you :D

• Haha 1