Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich says Brissett will start, Adam Vinatieri will be the kicker moving forward

chad72

The colts, in general, and Reich specifically are definitely putting their credibility on the line for Vinny.  Nobody: coaches, players, or fans can seriously buy the "get 1% better every day" mantra anymore.  We're not climbing the mountain we're resting at base camp and if we make some progress well that's ok too.

This looks worse than pagano calling guys "a rolling ball of butcher knives" and hoping it looks true long enough to allow you to exit the situation gracefully.  (It didnt with chuck).  

I always try to side with the people that know the situation best when decision making but this one rings hollow.  I dont think any of them have the utmost confidence in Adam (including adam) or that 46 year old athletes go thru "phases".  Its written all over their faces and embedded in their speeches.

I hope Vinny can turn it around long enough to get through the season tho.  I get it, I understand what is being held up here, but it's the wrong message IMO because its contrary to the message being pushing to the 52 other dudes you're developing.

It'll be telling how much more the "analytics" will suggest going for it on 4th or trying for 2pt conversations.

I'm really afraid that if adam misses anything of value in the next three weeks its gonna damage the credibility and performance of this entire organization for the remainder of the season.

Next year isnt going to be affected, as we're probably going to see alot of turnover in the off season....

I just dont see there being a better look for adam at the end of the year than there is right now.  I'm kinda baffled, how does the risk not outweigh the reward on this one?

Oh well, I can just hope I'm proven wrong, and gladly admit it come the end of December.

Just remember not to "boo".  We know how that one plays out.

Sorry gang, confused, meandering, half hearted rant over. Lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

The colts, in general, and Reich specifically are definitely putting their credibility on the line for Vinny.  Nobody: coaches, players, or fans can seriously buy the "get 1% better every day" mantra anymore.  We're not climbing the mountain we're resting at base camp and if we make some progress well that's ok too.

This looks worse than pagano calling guys "a rolling ball of butcher knives" and hoping it looks true long enough to allow you to exit the situation gracefully.  (It didnt with chuck).  

I always try to side with the people that know the situation best when decision making but this one rings hollow.  I dont think any of them have the utmost confidence in Adam (including adam) or that 46 year old athletes go thru "phases".  Its written all over their faces and embedded in their speeches.

I hope Vinny can turn it around long enough to get through the season tho.  I get it, I understand what is being held up here, but it's the wrong message IMO because its contrary to the message being pushing to the 52 other dudes you're developing.

It'll be telling how much more the "analytics" will suggest going for it on 4th or trying for 2pt conversations.

I'm really afraid that if adam misses anything of value in the next three weeks its gonna damage the credibility and performance of this entire organization for the remainder of the season.

Next year isnt going to be affected, as we're probably going to see alot of turnover in the off season....

I just dont see there being a better look for adam at the end of the year than there is right now.  I'm kinda baffled, how does the risk not outweigh the reward on this one?

Oh well, I can just hope I'm proven wrong, and gladly admit it come the end of December.

The pressure is on now because these next 2 games will define the season IMO. Vs Jacks and at Houston. We still hold our own destiny. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

This is not directed at anyone, but did the thought even occur to anyone that with all the adversity the Colts have had from losing Luck, Brissett, injuries to WR’s, CB, FS and Leonard the Colts at 5-4 should be commended? 

They’ve already exceeded my expectations for the season and I’m by no means a Homer. 

If we had looked overmatched and just out classed in games due to those thing then I could understand that reasoning. We lost do to slow starts, TOs, bad penalties, and missed kicks. 

I do think for the most part it’s a job well done but one of those losses are just inexcusable. Especially considering the team you’re playing was down just as many players. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

If we had looked overmatched and just out classed in games due to those thing then I could understand that reasoning. We lost do to slow starts, TOs, bad penalties, and missed kicks. 

I do think for the most part it’s a job well done but one of those losses are just inexcusable. Especially considering the team you’re playing was down just as many players. 

Yeah even with Hoyer we should've beat Miami. That was a terrible loss.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

You know what just because you lose faith in a player who has been good for 2 plus decades doesn't mean your not a true blue fan and/or lifer that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

It also doesn’t mean that anyone who still supports said player are crackpots and should be belittled     
  This is not middle so stop

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Parkey wasn't doing bad for them then RS came back and was stinking it up.

They won last week with RS

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Despite Vinny struggling, had Brissett not got injured I think we would've been 7-2. I don't think Brissett loses to Miami anyway, so 6-3 at worse.

I don't think he loses to Pitt either personally. He definitely doesn't throw that stupid pass to Fitzpatrick. Hoyer did ok, but he did have 2 critical turnovers that hurt us in that game also. And despite popular opinion, he didn't play as well as Jacoby usually does. He only threw for like 168 yards and 6.5 YPA with 2 turnovers. 

Regardless, this season has been a very good season for us. Chloe started a thread the other day suggesting the rebuild was still a couple years away..... I thought "yeah of course". Who thought we were there yet? Nobody with a reasonable outlook. This year is all about development, nothing more. This team is still very young. They are gonna have growing pains, especially without TY Hilton and the starting QB. Especially when they turn the ball over the way they have over the last 7 quarters. Especially when they get penalties the way they have. Especially when the coach doesn't put them on a position to succeed, situationally. 

I am enjoying this season so much. I think the team is ahead of schedule. And I have seen nothing that gives me pause going forward, in any area TBH. I still think Ballard is probably the best young GM in the game. I still think Reich is an excellent coach and leader. I still think Jacoby can be a really good starting QB if we give him time to develop. And I still think we are going to be a force in the AFC over the next 10 years. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think this has Irsay all over it. Hes msking Ballard and Reich back up Vinny... I think hes scared Pats will steal the retirement thunder. I do believe the Pars would sign him to finish there. Carry two kickers.

Pat's would gave cut him 2x this year if he was playing there.  I doubt signing him for retirement purposes is high on Robert or Bill's to do list.  I dont understand the tempest of the evil mind tho so you may be right.

38 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I think what's going on is that the organization took a good hard look at the team and decided that this wasn't the year. 

If they felt this was a prime contending season they probably wouldn't stick with AV as it is, if they think we're more or less just playing out the string this year, you might as well let him finish with the team.

We had a good chance this year, but ran into some nasty injuries and I honestly think we are just playing out the string now.  At least unless Brissett might have other ideas and begin to inject some life back into the team.

Remember that there was a very strong sense at the beginning of the season that this was an evaluation year.  I think that's still true, at least in the executive suite.  Brissett pulled together some games and had us outperforming for awhile, and that is a very good sign going forward,, but I think Ballard had made the decision that a regression to the mean was likely no matter what he did, and kept his powder dry for the offseason.  And after watching the last 2 weeks of football I can't say he was wrong.

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think the last time the Colts carried 2 Ks was in 2000 with Danny Kight as a KOS

Right. But Kight was used on kickoffs. Which Sanchez does quite well. It would make no sense in this situation.

Maybe we misunderstood? And the theory  is NE would sign him and they would then carry two?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

"Adam is our guy" while working out kickers.... 

The double talk is irritating. Almost as irritating as the game plan last week, and the decision to not give Hoyer 1st team reps... 

FO having a bad week...

Maybe he's there guy because there is no one else they trust more. 

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Right. But Kight was used on kickoffs. Which Sanchez does quite well. It would make no sense in this situation.

Maybe we misunderstood? And the theory  is NE would sign him and they would then carry two?

Agreed

That is what I meant by KOS

NE is having Kicking issues themselves so I don’t think they would sign AV

The bottom line is they think losing him would be a bigger detriment in the locker room then if they just let him play it out. I am almost willing to bet they have talked to teams leaders to gauge if there is any back lash going on with AV. From the way it sounds so far the players are blaming how they are playing more then they are blaming themselves.

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think what's going on is that the organization took a good hard look at the team and decided that this wasn't the year. 

If they felt this was a prime contending season they probably wouldn't stick with AV as it is, if they think we're more or less just playing out the string this year, you might as well let him finish with the team.

We had a good chance this year, but ran into some nasty injuries and I honestly think we are just playing out the string now.  At least unless Brissett might have other ideas and begin to inject some life back into the team.

Remember that there was a very strong sense at the beginning of the season that this was an evaluation year.  I think that's still true, at least in the executive suite.  Brissett pulled together some games and had us outperforming for awhile, and that is a very good sign going forward,, but I think Ballard had made the decision that a regression to the mean was likely no matter what he did, and kept his powder dry for the offseason.  And after watching the last 2 weeks of football I can't say he was wrong.

Theres probably some truth in that, and that worries me more than anything.

Folding up camp at the halfway point, with a winning record, in a winnable division is contrary to what we were led to believe this organization is about.

If what you suggest is true the "rivalry is not back on".  The idea that theres no quit in this team, top to bottom character matters,  that lockerroom culture matters and must be protected, that they prove their way through adversity,  and "1,2,3 family" simply wouldnt be true.  The culture they've said they're building becomes the palest illusion.

If what you suggest is true the colts are tanking worse than the dolphins, and wont be able to evaluate effectively because they aren't running an organization that believes in it's own professed culture.

If they're just playing out the string it means they've decided to evaluate players in a losing environment not a winning one.  They wont see the best of anyone under those circumstances.  

Not saying you're wrong but if they're at that point already, under these circumstances.......irsay may as well just fire everyone and move it london.  Beckham can kick for us, hes close to 50 right?

2 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Theres probably some truth in that, and that worries me more than anything.

Folding up camp at the halfway point, with a winning record, in a winnable division is contrary to what we were led to believe this organization is about.

If what you suggest is true the "rivalry is not back on".  The idea that theres no quit in this team, top to bottom character matters,  that lockerroom culture matters and must be protected, that they prove their way through adversity,  and "1,2,3 family" simply wouldnt be true.  The culture they've said they're building becomes the palest illusion.

If what you suggest is true the colts are tanking worse than the dolphins, and wont be able to evaluate effectively because they aren't running an organization that believes in it's own professed culture.

If they're just playing out the string it means they've decided to evaluate players in a losing environment not a winning one.  They wont see the best of anyone under those circumstances.  

Not saying you're wrong but if they're at that point already, under these circumstances.......irsay may as well just fire everyone and move it london.  Beckham can kick for us, hes close to 50 right?

I hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree.  I'm reacting to the message Ballard's recent actions in particular are sending.  I'm not saying I agree or even like it very much

• Like 1

Just now, Thunderbolt said:

This team  is fading fast in close games, now they have bank an inconsistent kicker to win close games. Game, set, match.  Top five pick for sure.

That ship sailed awhile ago.  Team is too talented to finish worse than 7-9.  I'm still holding out for 10-6, which we'd need to go 5-2 for but we did that once already this year with some tough games mixed in

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah Smoke you been here for a minute.  Us regulars know that

(Tips hat)

And hopefully you know krunk, you've always been one of my favorite posters. Mean that.

The only reason I come around is for the posters. I love y'all.

(Whispers) Even the trolls...

I can watch/analyze colts football all day alone... But I get tired of hearing myself lol. I enjoy the game so much more around here.

OUR talking heads and pundits around hear, are so much better than what's on any TV channel or YouTube page... mean that too

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

But what good is his leadership, if he keeps missing the kicks?

I do think this is a fair/valid question...

Cheers!

The leadership role is critical, without question. But points left on the field, and by now MANY points...

Where's the line?

Good question. I don't have the answer 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It also doesn’t mean that anyone who still supports said player are crackpots and should be belittled     
  This is not middle so stop

They won last week with RS

This is also not Kindergarden and stop saying people aren't true fans if they bash a player who is earning the bashing so you and everybody else that has been making excuses for this man stop first.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

This is also not Kindergarden and stop saying people aren't true fans if they bash a player who is earning the bashing so you and everybody else that has been making excuses for this man stop first.

move forward GIF by Chibird It your right to bash him and it is others right to defend him

I don’t think I have every defended him just the decision to keep him and given myself a headache by asking everyone to move one

Peace Out from TigerTown     
    cat goodbye GIF

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

This team  is fading fast in close games, now they have bank an inconsistent kicker to win close games. Game, set, match.  Top five pick for sure.

Oh it has nothing to do with losing your pro bowl WR or the starting QB for two games. Jacoby wins the last two games. Everyone can bag on him but facts are he was 5-2 before getting hurt and was winning those close games. Will it be to late once we get all our WR healthy. It might. We will see.