Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich says Brissett will start, Adam Vinatieri will be the kicker moving forward

chad72

I'm just going to point out (and this is the news) Adam continuing to kick is going to make every game even more stressful. 

I think there's going to be a lot of complaining about JB if he's not close to 100%, because so much of his game comes from his moving out of the pocket and making it up as he goes- he's also not overly fast, so he's going to need all of his ability.

5 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Well if they did impress and we didn't sign one, I don't see the point of bringing them in when clearly we didn't even plan to sign one

Well, IMO it's 2 things:

1. It's possible that they did not impress, thus they didn't sign any of the try-out kickers.

2. It's possible that they did impress, just not enough to get rid of AV, who is a leader in the locker room and perhaps the greatest clutch kicker of all-time, (just not now). The try-out kickers would've had to be incredible to move on from AV. They could have been good, real good, but not incredible.

Think of it like this (disclaimer: completely joking here by the way): AV was your hot girlfriend for many years. She had it all, looks and a great personality. Recently, she's really let herself go, but overall, as a person, she's wonderful. You still like her very much, but these other girls are showing you a lot of interest and you're beginning to think, "what would it take for me to move on from her?" In all likelihood, they would have to really "wow" you to move on. They could all be great and wonderful, but if they're not amazing, chances are you are staying with the girlfriend that you know and love.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s fair to give Brissett the rest of his contact and see what he can do. Let’s see what he can do going into next season as the guy.

When rookie QBs are given 3-4 years, the least we MUST do is give Brissett his fair share of the entire 2 years, IMO, until he starts having several games like Hoyer did, which I really really doubt he would. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When rookie QBs are given 3-4 years, the least we MUST do is give Brissett his fair share of the entire 2 years, IMO, until he starts having several games like Hoyer did, which I really really doubt he would. 

Yep. Until he actually does things to lose you games you give him a shot to improve. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Well Malik Hooker’s quote yesterday kind of shows that they do believe it. I bet they have talked to a lot of the captains to gauge how the locker room feels.

It's possible that they do believe in AV, just as it's also possible that they don't, because people do not always say what they believe.

Personally, I think that when a player is asked about AV, they will say the right thing -- that they have trust in him, despite what they actually believe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Well, IMO it's 2 things:

1. It's possible that they did not impress, thus they didn't sign any of the try-out kickers.

2. It's possible that they did impress, just not enough to get rid of AV, who is a leader in the locker room and perhaps the greatest clutch kicker of all-time, (just not now). The try-out kickers would've had to be incredible to move on from AV. They could have been good, real good, but not incredible.

Think of it like this (disclaimer: completely joking here by the way): AV was your hot girlfriend for many years. She had it all, looks and a great personality. Recently, she's really let herself go, but overall, as a person, she's wonderful. You still like her very much, but these other girls are showing you a lot of interest and you're beginning to think, "what would it take for me to move on from her?" In all likelihood, they would have to really "wow" you to move on. They could all be great and wonderful, but if they're not amazing, chances are you are staying with the girlfriend that you know and love.

Either ways they didn't impress enough to move on. They didn't "wow" us

(Also, that analogy tho haha)  

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

It's possible that they do believe in AV, just as it's also possible that they don't, because people do not always say what they believe.

Personally, I think that when a player is asked about AV, they will say the right thing -- that they have trust in him, despite what they actually believe.

I would agree. But I don’t think Hookers response was a canned response. It was very genuine.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

No way I believe that.   Even his teammates will be watching to see if he makes the extra points.   

Frank says we have total faith in our kicker AND the locker room is a factor then why did you bring in kickers this week to try out? If a tryout made 100/100 kicks including 10/10 from 60 yards then the locker room and faith in your current kicker no longer matter?

Thats why, IMO, the tryouts were to pacify fans/players and they had no intention of making a change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I'm getting the impression that he had(has) his head up his butt and not putting in the work like he should have been doing. 

Probably. But Fountain said the same thing after his rookie season. These young guys sometimes need a kick in the butt to learn how to be a pro. He needs to go work his but off in the off season like Fountain. That injury did prevent him some from working on his game in the off season. These quotes should put to bed this was a Jacoby issue.

I have a hard time believing the locker room is happy that Vinatieri isn't being held accountable the way others have when they haven't performed. 

If I were a player who got benched for poor play, or even cut, I'd be very upset that Adam keeps getting chance after chance when he is killing this team. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I have a hard time believing the locker room is happy that Vinatieri isn't being held accountable the way others have when they haven't performed. 

If I were a player who got benched for poor play, or even cut, I'd be very upset that Adam keeps getting chance after chance when he is killing this team. 

I don't disagree. But unlike other positions that are 2+ deep, there's only one kicker on the roster. and the on the street choices aren't impressive. So what do you do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

Playoffs?

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

He has already accomplished that.

lol the doom and gloom, the mood swings on this board are funny. We are 5-4, undefeated in the division, have already beat the Texans. Can we at least wait until this 3 game divisional stretch is over to say our playoff hopes are over, because we all know at this point thats far from the truth

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Lol. If it is thought that fans see the obvious issue/answer/remedy....and that the player himself/coach/GM/owner do not, or have clouded judgement.... * LOL.

This is a 100 billion dollar league. They are going to continue to keep Adam for a reason, and that reason is about winning. Whether it is that Adam is the best option out there at this time, or that his presence....and his teammates backing him makes the team better....it is still about winning. Period. All this nonsense about Jim controlling this, or Adam ignoring the fact that his skills are eroding, or that the coach doesn't have the guts....is a bunch of emotional wallowing. 

The team has made it clear. Adam still has a horseshoe upside his head. Let's back the guy. After all, he is a Colt! Doesn't that mean something?

18 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol the doom and gloom, the mood swings on this board are funny. We are 5-4, undefeated in the division, have already beat the Texans. Can we at least wait until this 3 game divisional stretch is over to say our playoff hopes are over, because we all know at this point thats far from the truth

I agree.   We are 1 game behind the Texans for the division lead.  The playoffs are well within sight, but not a given.   I would say 50% shot at this point.  That second game against Houston may be the key.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

What the Colts are basically saying here is that Vinateri has so much value to the locker room it offsets the missed kicks enough for us to retain him.  Hard for me to buy, but........

There was not one player come and pat him on the back, offer condolences or encouragements to AV during the game. Riech is losing the locker room for his defense of AV. These players have busted their buts to win and have a glorified kicker past his prime costing them games. This is just wrong!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I"m still kind of shaky about this Jags game since Foles will be under center.   That makes them a bit of a different team versus getting them with Minshew.  This is going to be a dog fight.  If we can pull this one off without Ty, Funch, and Campbell I will feel pretty good.   We have a hard one coming up this Sunday. 

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don't disagree. But unlike other positions that are 2+ deep, there's only one kicker on the roster. and the on the street choices aren't impressive. So what do you do?

I gotta think Ballard could find a kicker who could at least make extra point kicks! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I"m still kind of shaky about this Jags game since Foles will be under center.   That makes them a bit of a different team versus getting them with Minshew.  This is going to be a dog fight.  If we can pull this one off without Ty, Funch, and Campbell I will feel pretty good.   We have a hard one coming up this Sunday. 

We have a better chance with Brissett but same recievers that could do anything against a dolphins defense full of bar tenders.