Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Ed Reed

mirobi48

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Give RYS some time. Played more snaps than anyone on D. He's making rookie type mistakes, not mistakes because he's "limited". From a DB perspective, guessing SS/Box is the easiest to come in and make an impact, whereas it typically takes CBs a while. 

Sure, I'm rooting for him too, he has some real issues to work through per one of my  previous posts.

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

As an aside, since a deep FS isn't covering anybody, he's not really the one being targeted.  Its the CB generally, if not simply a great WR.  QBs might not be throwing it deep because the CBs are stride for stride with the WR, or playing off coverage and allowing the short and middle throws.  Saying Hooker isn't being targeted has a different meaning , IMO.

I'm not being critical of Hooker.  He's part of a secondary that's probably ascending in terms of making plays.  All I'm saying is that Freeney was the 11th pick, and had basically nobody playing around him, yet he made his impact.  Mathis was there, but nobody else.  And Mathis lead the NFL in sacks during Grigson years, so I assume you would be saying its because RG built a great defensive roster around Mathis. And as safeties go, Sanders elevated the whole secondary, if not the whole defense at SS.

I'm not excusing the lack of playmaking because of who plays around him.  It matters yes, but if it matters a lot, then maybe it simply means that other positions are more important than FS.  

Whenever I talk to you about Hooker, you always make it sound like he just sits in the end zone waiting to save a touchdown. That's not how it works. And no, safeties can be targeted. If you throw it to a safety, you're targeting him. Yes I understand your point about how it's easier to be a lockdown safety than a lockdown corner, because safeties and corners aren't very equivalent, and what that means is that "coverage stats" like yards given up and stuff will probably be automatically higher for the average corner than the average safety, but your conclusion that a safety isn't or can't be targeted is simply not warranted by the supporting statements.

Well of course they may not be throwing it deep because we're allowing short and middle throws, but more likely they may not be throwing it deep because of Hooker. A 4 yard check down isn't normally the first option unless the QB is Tom Brady. If a good safety shuts down the deep pass, then the QB will be forced to check it down. Yes, our zone coverage allows for more short throws, but short throws aren't usually the first option. The deep throws being shut down when Hooker is on the field, versus the offense throwing deep when he's off the field indicates that he does make an impact on a QB's decision to go deep.

Hooker doesn't elevate our secondary? Just check whenever he gets injured, they throw all over us, with the exception of the Chiefs game. He allows us to devote less resources to defending the deep and intermediate pass, so we can blitz and play up more

Like LCF said, that's the way football works. Most positions are dependent on others. That doesn't make the position less valuable. Andrew Luck couldn't do jack when he had a crap O-line. That doesn't make the QB position less valuable just because you need a good O-line to succeed.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. That's why I've been pretty consistent about the need for improving the DL. I think Hooker, Desir, RYS, Willis, Moore, would all look much better if we spent some coin on one or two more legit pieces up front.

Yep. It is not an easy position to play, DL at the NFL level. So FA coin spent will be worth on experienced proven talent on the DL or even OL side. The Packers spent a LOT on that DL side, wanting to stretch the home stretch of Aaron Rodgers with still a few prime years left., IMO, now that QBs play close to 40.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. It is not an easy position to play, DL at the NFL level. So FA coin spent will be worth on experienced proven talent on the DL or even OL side. The Packers spent a LOT on that DL side, wanting to stretch the home stretch of Aaron Rodgers with still a few prime years left., IMO, now that QBs play close to 40.

Again we'll lead the league in cap space. I'd love to know the reasons not to spend... 

Our defense is way better with him.  Even if he's not a pro-bowler he's close enough that he was well worth the 1st round pick.  

Teams not throwing his way honestly is the best indicator of what he does for this defense.  A guy who plays that many snaps and see's so few targets coming his way doesn't happen by accident.  

• Like 1

I think he's more Antoine Bethea than Ed Reed, and that's fine.  Bethea was fine.  We won a lot of games and a SB with Bethea. 

But Polian found Bethea in the 6th round and he used his first round picks on pass rusher and receivers and RBs and cornerbacks (Marlin Jackson)  And used high seconds on the SS and the other CB (Hayden).  We didn't win it all until we had a lot of talent in a lot of other positions.

But Polian built his team having the GOAT at QB.

Ballard is going to have to build his team probably without having the GOAT at QB, so we'll see how he does it and if it ends up being much different.

When I saw that hit that Malik Hooker laid on that WR in todays game I thought for certain that was Clayton Geathers!  I said Geathers knocked the mess out of that dude.  And to my surprise when the smoked cleared the jersey said "Hooker" and I said What The Hell!  I haven't ever seen Hooker make a hit like that.  I was very surprised!

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

When I saw that hit that Malik Hooker laid on that WR in todays game I thought for certain that was Clayton Geathers!  I said Geathers knocked the mess out of that dude.  And to my surprise when the smoked cleared the jersey said "Hooker" and I said What The Hell!  I haven't ever seen Hooker make a hit like that.  I was very surprised!

They've been having Hooker playing closer to the line the last few weeks.  So the contact plays are happening quicker & he's showing a willingness to stick his nose in there.  I think bringing him up a few more yards will lead to  him being tested more.  He had a chance at 2 today vs Foles.  Maybe a 3rd on that one Moore broke up late in the game.  I believe, if we keep him in position to get those kind of opportunities, he'll start cashing them in like he did his rookie season.