Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you have faith?

NannyMcafee

Do you have faith?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. When the Colts have been favorites in a match up, they seem to usually fall short. If Chad Kelly was the starter, do you have faith that he could maintain the straight an narrow through such pressures as being a top elite team in the NFL, Ever?

• Yes
    • No

I for one, dont see him ever being able to handle the pressures from the NFL as SB contenders. And herein lies my issues with Chad Kelly. People wanted him in, in the 4th qtr. But there is no way you can ever trust him to handle that much pressure, when he has handled nearly no pressure at all, in a horrible manner, repeatedly, over and over, without fail. He might win now, but if Andrew (this is about Chad Kelly) couldn't handle all the pressures in various ways, what makes you think a guy like Chad Kelly can? 

(For those who are tired of this topic, feel free not to reply)

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

What gives you faith he can handle it? 

'Cause I gotta have faith.

To be honest...I still don't understand the question you were asking. But I think Kelly has as much chance of being a top-tier QB as anybody on this roster. But that's not saying much. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

'Cause I gotta have faith.

To be honest...I still don't understand the question you were asking. But I think Kelly has as much chance of being a top-tier QB as anybody on this roster. But that's not saying much. 

Ok. I'm asking if you think he has the mental stamina to handle the pressures of being the Star QB of a SB contender? Or will he crack under pressure. Do you know his past? He cracks under pressure, and I dont mean on the field. 

His resume from college is a impressive track record of big time plays in big time situations . Since coming to Indy he has shown nothing but being a humble hard working young man . His past is a bit alarming why I trust the coaches and gm to make these calls . 

• Like 1

There were a couple of throws Hoyer threw (the pick 6 against the Steelers and the 4th and 8 play last week to essentially end the game), where he had Pascal open. Trouble was, he was staring down his receivers on both plays. I see the same issue with Brissett.

Kelly on the other hand, looks like he has a better handle in decision making, when things break down. He’s definitely faster, when it comes to scrambling.

I just hope he gets a chance. No one can know what is in his head but you’d better believe they’ve thought about this very question.

• Like 2

Just now, coltsfeva said:

There were a couple of throws Hoyer threw (the pick 6 against the Steelers and the 4th and 8 play last week to essentially end the game), where he had Pascal open. Trouble was, he was staring down his receivers on both plays. I see the same issue with Brissett.

Kelly on the other hand, looks like he has a better handle in decision making, when things break down. He’s definitely faster, when it comes to scrambling.

And he's late on the throws ,he's trash 

No... No I dont

I dont because I dont have blind faith in Swagorama

Where I do have blind faith is with the FO

They didnt put him in for a reason... and they wont- without a good reason (ie all other QBs are hurt)

Theres a reason he didnt make the 53, he wasnt claimed when fired, and then hes sat on the PS- until injuries FORCED his promotion...

Hes not a project... hes a camp arm

So, it's a question of his off field abilities, but no question of his on field abilities? Interesting for a practice squad player. 

I have faith that anyone can change. Not sure if Chad is a changed young man yet, or whether he is being careful with his behavior to get what he wants. Time will certainly tell .

8 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I for one, dont see him ever being able to handle the pressures from the NFL as SB contenders. And herein lies my issues with Chad Kelly. People wanted him in, in the 4th qtr. But there is no way you can ever trust him to handle that much pressure, when he has handled nearly no pressure at all, in a horrible manner, repeatedly, over and over, without fail. He might win now, but if Andrew (this is about Chad Kelly) couldn't handle all the pressures in various ways, what makes you think a guy like Chad Kelly can? 

(For those who are tired of this topic, feel free not to reply)

Bottom line is if he somehow becomes the colts starting QB, colts fans will largely support him.

They'll praise him when he does well, they'll fall off a cliff when he performs poorly.  "Told you so's" will fly on both sides, sometimes by the same people, just like it is now.

I have faith that as people age they sometimes, usually even, mature.  Question is how much opportunity is left for them by the time they begin/complete the process.

I dont know the guy.  I have no idea what he's made of.  I have no way of knowing how much "pressure" he will even feel he's under, much less how much he can handle. 

If he gets a chance it'll be given to him by people who are far closer to him than any of us.  I have faith, if that happens, it will be a chance he will have earned and will deserve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In my honest opinion, if Kelly was having the same exact year that JB was having through the 1st 7 games = 14 TD's, 3 INT's, 2 300 Yard games, and being 5-2, the same people that have been critical of JB or just don't like him would be loving Kelly. They would be saying the guy is fantastic. 

To follow this up, I would be thrilled if Kelly played that well and we were 5-2, just like I am with JB. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you can trust him if he stays away from the booze.

But can we trust him to stay away from the booze?

Took Farve getting tossed out Atl to straighten up.  I've heard nothing this year about Kelly overindulgeing (not that I'm seeking out Kelly scandal stories).  Maybe getting run out of Denver was enough tho.......He should be judged on his current performance/behavior not his past. 

It's reasonable to remember and identify reoccurring red flags but you cant live in fear of them if they're not actively hindering things.  Admittedly I could be ignorant of "bad behavior" this year, but my understanding is that hes been on the straight narrow.

To be clear I'm not advocating he take over this team.  I like Brissett quite a bit, and I'm not sure hes reached his ceiling yet either.  I'm totally open to a training camp competition next year though.

I do hope Kelly gets a chance somewhere (starter or backup) if not here.  I just dont see him as irredeemable like some seem to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Took Farve getting tossed out Atl to straighten up.  I've heard nothing this year about Kelly overindulgeing (not that I'm seeking out Kelly scandal stories).  Maybe getting run out of Denver was enough tho.......He should be judged on his current performance/behavior not his past. 

It's reasonable to remember and identify reoccurring red flags but you cant live in fear of them if they're not actively hindering things.  Admittedly I could be ignorant of "bad behavior" this year, but my understanding is that hes been on the straight narrow.

To be clear I'm not advocating he take over this team.  I like Brissett quite a bit, and I'm not sure hes reached his ceiling yet either.  I'm totally open to a training camp competition next year though.

I do hope Kelly gets a chance somewhere (starter or backup) if not here.  I just dont see him as irredeemable like some seem to.

He's certainly not irredeemable. There's just a lot more scrutiny that comes with the QB position, fair or not. You can be WR and do drugs, beat women/kids, and still get more chances. CK did none of that.

I'm pretty sure uncle Jim put a foot up his backside, and made a call to Frank. I hope that's enough (Jim's foot), and I think the Colts (and Frank) are a good spot to provide support for him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's certainly not irredeemable. There's just a lot more scrutiny that comes with the QB position, fair or not. You can be WR and do drugs, beat women/kids, and still get more chances. CK did none of that.

I'm pretty sure uncle Jim put a foot up his backside, and made a call to Frank. I hope that's enough (Jim's foot), and I think the Colts (and Frank) are a good spot to provide support for him. 

Agreed.

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

I don’t care who our quarterback is.  The Colts aren’t winning any games without T.Y. Hilton on the field...period. 

We are 0-7 without TY but if JB plays vs the Jags, we have a 50/50 chance of winning. Had JB played against the Phins I am pretty sure we would've won that one and TY was out. Hoyer played like Painter.

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are 0-7 without TY but if JB plays vs the Jags, we have a 50/50 chance of winning. Had JB played against the Phins I am pretty sure we would've won that one and TY was out. Hoyer played like Painter.

Not so sure buddy.  We are judging Hoyer harshly but he was in there for two games with no T.Y.   Heck...even Andrew Luck is winless in his career without the Ghost. He changes everything just by being on the field.  If T.Y. is a no go...I don’t see the Colts beating the Jags...with or without Jacoby.  

You gotta think about this...the Jags defense has shut out the Colts offense for six consecutive quarters. An offense that was led by Luck and included T.Y. Hilton.  Do you really think Jacoby will fare much better without T.Y. at his disposal?  Nick Foles returns and he is good enough to put up more points than the Colts offense based on how they have been looking the past three weeks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Not so sure buddy.  We are judging Hoyer harshly but he was in there for two games with no T.Y.   Heck...even Andrew Luck is winless in his career without the Ghost. He changes everything just by being on the field.  If T.Y. is a no go...I don’t see the Colts beating the Jags...with or without Jacoby. 

I won't make a prediction until Saturday. I would feel better if JB plays though. TY may be a top 20 Colt of all-time in reality. His presence alone is overwhelming. 

• Like 1

I think T.Y. returns to play the Texans.  He always seems to find a way to play and torture Houston.  Problem is by then it’s very possible that the damage may have already been done.  We have botched what was supposed to have been the lightest part of our schedule while the rest of our division has made haste.  We will be locked in a dog fight for our survival the rest of the way.  

7 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

It's tough being a Colt's fan, but it could be worse.  GO BROWNS.   :highfive2:

Lol.  True but it could also be so much better. That’s what makes it tough.  As Colts fans...we seldom have a moment to breathe easy.  We are constantly under the stress of tight games.  We live perpetually on the fine line between victory and defeat week after frigin week.  Not good for the heart if you don’t keep it all in its proper context and perspective in the grand scheme of life.

18 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

It's tough being a Colt's fan, but it could be worse.  GO BROWNS.   :highfive2:

Yeah since we moved to Indianapolis in 1984 we only have,

-a SB win in 2006

-2 SB appearances = 2006 and 2009

-5 AFC Title Game appearances = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014

-12 Divisional Round appearances = 1987, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2018

-We were 5-2 with JB and in 1st place in the AFC South in 2019 but yet people still want to complain about our team and franchise. lmao We aren't the Pats, who gives a crap - they are known cheaters too. We have some spoiled fans in here, that is my opinion. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

It's impossible to tell. I voted no because I don't blindly throw my faith at anything. Gotta be some kind of reason or fact behind it.

I voted No as well. It isn't because I dislike Kelly (I am not a hater lmao ) . What stands out to me is, if he was potentially so great why didn't any team at all pick him up? That is a huge red flag. You have 31 GM's out there other than Chris and not 1 picked up Kelly. That is pretty telling. Why would not 1 other GM in the NFL see his talent like some of you do in here and not take a chance on him? That is a legit question. Yet Bill Parcells said Jacoby Brissett is just a winner and Bill Belichick drafted Jacoby Brissett for a reason. Food for thought.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted No as well. It isn't because I dislike Kelly (I am not a hater lmao ) . What stands out to me is, if he was potentially so great why didn't any team at all pick him up? That is a huge red flag. You have 31 GM's out there other than Chris and not 1 picked up Kelly. That is pretty telling. Why would not 1 other GM in the NFL see his talent like some of you do in here and not take a chance on him? That is a legit question. Yet Bill Parcells said Jacoby Brissett is just a winner and Bill Belichick drafted Jacoby Brissett for a reason. Food for thought.

The Parcells narrative isn't really objective. They've had a personal relationship going back a long time. Not really a hill to plant your flag on. Belichick has a long history of drafting QBs every few years since Brady took the helm. Many have not been worth a darn, and some he's leveraged for draft capital. In reality, JB was 3rd on their depth chart.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

The Parcells narrative isn't really objective. They've had a personal relationship going back a long time. Not really a hill to plant your flag on. Belichick has a long history of drafting QBs every few years since Brady took the helm. Many have not been worth a darn, and some he's leveraged for draft capital. In reality, JB was 3rd on their depth chart.

2 of the best Coaches of all-time think JB is good and you still find a twist haha . Man you are too much lmao . Why didn't 31 other GM's pick Kelly up, can't wait to hear this one.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2 of the best Coaches of all-time think JB is good and you still find a twist haha . Man you are too much lmao . Why didn't 31 other GM's pick Kelly up, can't wait to hear this one.

Ok, read the following, and let me know specifically what you disagree with...

On Parcells....

Two years ago, when the Colts acquired quarterback Jacoby Brissett from the Patriots in a trade, I spoke to Bill Parcells about it, and he gushed about Brissett. He compared the QB to Curtis Martin, Troy Brown and Willie McGinest — three of Belichick’s former players whose character he embraced as much if not more than their production on the field.

Parcells, 78 now, has known Brissett since he was 15 and playing high school ball in South Florida — not far from where the former Giants, Patriots and Jets coach spends his winters, in Jupiter. Parcells used to watch him play, then followed his college games at N.C. State and eventually became an unofficial adviser of his.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/08/why-jacoby-brissett-has-a-big-backer-in-bill-parcells/

I love BP. Old school dude. Keep in mind he was a "defensive" coach. Do you remember the Bruner/Simms fiasco when he was in NY (not sure how old you are). Even BP admits he made the wrong QB decisions. At NE, he drafted Drew B with the first pick his first year, and then he bolted for NYJ after a few years. He didn't last long there either. When he was at Dallas, they were all over the place with QB.

I give him props for the two SBs in NYG, but he's also had some bad years and a lot of first round and WC losses. I don't think of him as a QB genius at all. It's pretty clear BP is more sold on JB's character than talent. And that's fine too. But his endorsement doesn't weigh heavily from a talent perspective given the entire context. 

As far as Belichick is concerned, he's a genius on many things. And he's also a D guy. Aside from Brady, what is his track record for QBs? His HC gig with the Browns was a real mixed bag. At NE, since Brady, he's drafted 10 QBs. The majority of them never amounted to anything. Aside from Cassell (who had more downs than ups) and Jimmy G, the rest were bombs. 

And JB was third on their depth chart, and IIRC they were shopping JB after the deflate gate and injury time was done. Not saying BB isn't a genius, or a great at evaluating .........  but the other 8 QBs did nothing, and what does that say about him? Love to hear the explanation.