Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to work out FA kickers today

NannyMcafee

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Irsay is likely in as much pain about this as Vinny is.
He would have wanted him to go out on a high note. Unfortunate for all.

Irsay brought Vinny to town. He’s been in the building with him way more than some of these people seem capable of understanding. He’s been a part of Adam’s life and growth for 15 years. He’s not just some random player to Irsay. There is absolutely a personal element at play here. Theres more than just missed and made kicks here. 

Like I said: it’s more than just “what have you done for me lately?”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What this team doesn’t understand is by cutting him it might actually make these guys play harder realizing no ones job is safe. They can’t preach accountability by letting him keep his job.

When has this team in the last 2 decades EVER operated like that?

Here’s what you need to do:

Get in your google machine. 
Type in “Curtis Painter”

Marvel

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Simple logic and reason. 

If they were going to make a move they would have done it by now. 

Irsay is an emotional and sentimental owner. He thrives on rewarding those who have been good to him. He’s not the kind to turn his back on those he loves. 

You can’t tell me Vinny has been here all these years and hasn’t developed a close relationship with Jim. Even if they aren’t fishing buds they have their own close personal relationship, however it may be. Jim isn’t going to just dump one of the top 5 of all time most important players to his franchise in the middle of a season. He’s going to let him finish and make the move in the spring when it feels more appropriate. 

Chuck Pagano finished out his campaign before being shown the door despite the fact that everyone saw it coming. He could have sent a message to the players or whoever by ushering him out of town mid-season but he didn’t. Why?

Same deal, different faces. 

I don't put him in the top 20.

Just during his own career he is at least behind:

Manning

Harrison

Luck

Freeney

Wayne

Sanders

Several others

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't put him in the top 20.

Just during his own career he is at least behind:

Manning

Harrison

Luck

Freeney

Wayne

Sanders

Several others

No way he’s behind Luck or Sanders. Neither one of them scored the points, had the longevity, and sure as hell (before this season at least) the reliability of Vinny. 

If you don’t put him in the top 20 don’t list just 6 (2 of whom are big stretches) and “several others”. Give us all 20. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

No way he’s behind Luck or Sanders. Neither one of them scored the points, had the longevity, and sure as hell (before this season at least) the reliability of Vinny. 

If you don’t put him in the top 20 don’t list just 6 (2 of whom are big stretches) and “several others”. Give us all 20. 

Don't want to take the time.    Being that he is a kicker denies his ability to ever being in the Colts top 5 of all time.   That and his biggest kicks were with the Pats.   Great kicker, but that's it.   

Luck and Sanders are certainly ahead of a washed up kicker.   Luck carried this team for several years.   Sanders was the reason we made the Superbowl (AV was great that year too).

6 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I have a feeling you are right. Vinny ends up winning the kicking tryout

First you say there's no indication that anything will happen, now you say that Vinny's gonna win the tryout. Just let things play out before you make an assertion without evidence! You've already been wrong once

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Don't want to take the time.    Being that he is a kicker denies his ability to ever being in the Colts top 5 of all time.   That and his biggest kicks were with the Pats.   Great kicker, but that's it.   

Luck and Sanders are certainly ahead of a washed up kicker.   Luck carried this team for several years.   Sanders was the reason we made the Superbowl (AV was great that year too).

If we are just talking Indianapolis Colts players (1984-2019), he has an argument for top 10, not top 5 though. He helped us win SB 41 and has made a lot of huge kicks here. His longevity here is impressive too. Being a kicker does hurt his ranking a bit because I would rank players like Luck and Sanders ahead of him. Without Sanders I doubt we win SB 41 either and he also won DPOY in 2007. Luck had 4 very good to great seasons playing QB. I would have these players ahead of him:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Reggie Wayne

4. Dwight Freeney

5. Jeff Saturday - Talk about longevity, for a Center he had it.

6. Robert Mathis

7. Edgerrin James - Indianapolis all-time leading rusher.

8. Andrew Luck

9. Bob Sanders - Has to be top 10, he was a huge reason why we won SB 41.

-after that we can debate where Vinny should be ranked. I didn't even include Eric Dickerson or Marshall Faulk because there were only here for a brief time (shorter time than Luck was).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we are just talking Indianapolis Colts players (1984-2019), he has an argument for top 10, not top 5 though. He helped us win SB 41 and has made a lot of huge kicks here. His longevity here is impressive too. Being a kicker does hurt his ranking a bit because I would rank players like Luck and Sanders ahead of him. Without Sanders I doubt we win SB 41 either and he also won DPOY in 2007. Luck had 4 very good to great seasons playing QB. I would have these players ahead of him:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Reggie Wayne

4. Dwight Freeney

6. Robert Mathis

8. Andrew Luck

-after that we can debate where Vinny should be ranked. I didn't even include Eric Dickerson or Marshall Faulk because there were only here for a brief time (shorter time than Luck was).

Luck should not be on that list. He literally got us nothing and he quit and potentially screwed this team for years to come. Everyone else on that list performed and got us a Super Bowl title and a super bowl runner up. Luck had one decent play off run and that was it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

First you say there's no indication that anything will happen, now you say that Vinny's gonna win the tryout. Just let things play out before you make an assertion without evidence! You've already been wrong once

Sorry for expressing my opinion on this topic. Next time Ill keep quiet for your sake. Wouldn't want to offend you.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Reggie Wayne

4. Dwight Freeney

6. Robert Mathis

8. Andrew Luck

I’d go:

1.  Peyton 

2.  Reggie

4.  Harrison 

5.  Mathis

6.  Freeney

7.  Edge 

8.  Faulk

9.  Saturday 

10.  Dickerson

honorable mention to herrod, Bickett, Hinton, stark, Donaldson, Luck, harbaugh, Adam, Glenn, Hilton, and AC

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d go:

1.  Peyton 

2.  Reggie

4.  Harrison 

5.  Mathis

6.  Freeney

7.  Edge 

8.  Faulk

9.  Saturday 

10.  Dickerson

honorable mention to herrod, Bickett, Hinton, stark, Donaldson, Luck, harbaugh, Adam, Glenn, Hilton, and AC

Yeah I see Dickerson and Faulk as like borderline because they were only here for such a short time. Everyone that I listed was here for at least 7 years, even Bob despite being injured a lot. Never the less, nice list. 

You only listed 9 players, you skipped from 2-4.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I see Dickerson and Faulk as like borderline because they were only here for such a short time. Everyone that I listed was here for at least 6 years, even Bob despite being injured a lot. Never the less, nice list. 

You only listed 9 players, you skipped from 2-4.

doh I’d probably go with Harbaugh.  Those four years here really laid the ground work for Peyton to take them to the next level in terms of being Indy’s team.  

Faulk was part of that too.  I think Dickerson is important because he made the Colts relevant for the first time in Indy.  

• Like 1

Since the Dolphins are having a fire sale, I'd like to see the Colts trade a low pick for Jason Sanders, a 23 year old kicker who is in his 2nd year.

He is 47/48  X points       15/15 within 39 yds      10/14   40-49 yds         2/4   50 +

His kicks on Sunday were all straight down the middle and looked like they could hit 50 yds easy.

He is as automatic as can be within 40 yards, and being so young, he can work on consistency with longer kicks.

I know, Trade deadline is past.... but maybe before the draft.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

doh I’d probably go with Harbaugh.  Those four years here really laid the ground work for Peyton to take them to the next level in terms of being Indy’s team.  

Faulk was part of that too.  I think Dickerson is important because he made the Colts relevant for the first time in Indy.  

Yeah to me Dickerson was more important to the Colts than Faulk was. He put Indianapolis on the map in 1987. Both those RB's were only here for 5 years though. If longevity is taken out of the equation then yeah both belong in the top 10 IMO. 

I actually corrected my post, every player that I had on my list had been here 7 years or more, not 6. 

32 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I'll catch flak for this, but that is my exact mindset. Should Vinny retire? Yes. But until he does, he's still one of my football heroes and he'll always be a Colt, and I'll never stop rooting for him to succeed. These comments make me really respect Hooker.

I think for the most part the players can brush it off because he wasn’t the sole purpose of the losses. Only the chargers game is more on him. The team made so many mistakes in the Steelers and Miami games it makes it easier to stand by him. If this team has a game where they play very hard mistake free football and he is the reason for the loss I think that is the point or demoralizes the team. Right now Vinny is just a tiny reason they have lost.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Since the Dolphins are having a fire sale, I'd like to see the Colts trade a low pick for Jason Sanders, a 23 year old kicker who is in his 2nd year.

He is 47/48  X points       15/15 within 39 yds      10/14   40-49 yds         2/4   50 +

His kicks on Sunday were all straight down the middle and looked like they could hit 50 yds easy.

He is as automatic as can be within 40 yards, and being so young, he can work on consistency with longer kicks.

Um trade deadline has passed, can’t do anything now until March

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Now I can buy this, he has looked great all season.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Nope. No blind fanboying. He’s sucked a fat one this season. Absolutely should have hung it up after last season. And god forbid he try to play another for anyone else next season and look even worse than he has this one. 

But hey, little pro tip for you:

This ain’t madden. This is the real world. 

Your experience as a fan is just that: as a fan. You’ve watched the guy for less than an hour a year sitting on your couch with greasy hands and a bag of chips in your lap. Of course you don’t understand the personal side of it. 

You gonna choke your 15 year old dog to death in front of the kids because he can’t hold it anymore and pisses on the rug Every day?

No. You’re not. 

Just like Irsay isn’t going to dump on one of the biggest players not just in franchise history, but league history in a less than respectful way. 

Except letting an employee go for the betterment of the product my company sells.... Is the furthest from your dog choking analogy possible.  It doesn't matter how much you like the employee, at a certain point, you have to let them go if the damage they are doing is no longer worth their past productivity.  

And yes, I'd fire my mother or my daughter if they were damaging my business, they'd also understand why, because business is business, and family and friends are family and friends.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Irsay brought Vinny to town. He’s been in the building with him way more than some of these people seem capable of understanding. He’s been a part of Adam’s life and growth for 15 years. He’s not just some random player to Irsay. There is absolutely a personal element at play here. Theres more than just missed and made kicks here. 

Like I said: it’s more than just “what have you done for me lately?”

Of course it is, but if that man can cut Peyton manning, and let his all time favorite player, E. James walk.....  Why do you seem so sure he can't let AV go if it's necessary, when the time is right?  I guess you think Jim is less competent at making business decisions than I give him credit for..... And maybe you're right.... I just don't see Him having a more impenetrable relationship with Vinny than Manning or James.... And yes, those were off-season, but they also weren't kickers.

Vinny signing with New England if Colts cut him? I don't think so. He'd be kicking outdoors for 4 games in cold and windy Foxborough in late November and December, once in Philly, and once in Cincy.  Yeah, there's a recipe for success for a struggling kicker. Oh wait, he did make a great kick in the snow 20 years ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Of course it is, but if that man can cut Peyton manning, and let his all time favorite player, E. James walk.....  Why do you seem so sure he can't let AV go if it's necessary, when the time is right?  I guess you think Jim is less competent at making business decisions than I give him credit for..... And maybe you're right.... I just don't see Him having a more impenetrable relationship with Vinny than Manning or James.... And yes, those were off-season, but they also weren't kickers.

Did he cut Peyton Manning while he was in the middle of a season? Did he take Edge out of a season and tell him to pack his bags?

No.

Manning was cut under doubt he would ever play again, and we already had the QB who was supposed to carry us for years, and Edge was a business decision made during the off-season. 

Which is exactly where the same kind of business decision with Adam will be made. 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't see how this ends. I'd be shocked if they cut AV, even though he probably shouldn't keep kicking...

I feel worse for AV than I do for the Colts. The team is 5-4 and that's with Brissett missing 2 games , Leonard 3 , and Hilton not only missing games but banged up pretty much all year. I can't see where this team has played better than 5-4. No pass rush , fair run defense , shoddy coverage and inconsistent OL play. 

Yeah... AV hung around too long but crazy thing is he still has enough leg strength. Really appears to be mental as he makes the 50 yarders.. they have less pressure ? Can you imagine what has to be running through his mind when he kicks a short one or XP ?  

That said , everything considered , I do think the Colts should have someone else doing the kicking . 

Im sure Irsay and Ballards biggest fear is they release him and some how he fixes this slump by some chance. Signs with Pats and wins superbowl and everyone saying they gave up on him. Unlikely to happen but if it did everyones heads would be spinning. I still say cutting him is the right move. Numbers dont lie, almost every free agent kicker available hits 95+ % on pats. We need those points.