Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building Draft Capital vs Acquiring Proven Players

Defjamz26

37 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Your point is well taken. I do. However, the idea that sacks indicate one thing...and pressures indicate another, is missing information. A defensive player can rack up significant sack numbers by being alongside players that are so dominant, that they cause onlinemen to miss assignments. The player wreaking the havoc and getting pressures on an offensive line and makes it so another player gets easier path to the QB. Which one is more important? The one with big sack numbers?

My comment about Brooks as that he is now giving opinion and commentary about the game, rather than being in the NFL. He is now paid to get followers and create conversation. Towing the coaching line hardly accomplishes that. 

You’re now basically dismissing the idea of a respected NFL scout because his opinion (which is more informed than yours or mine) contradicts your personal belief about a player. 

No one is saying Turray is bad. But he clearly wasn’t exactly an elite player yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’re now basically dismissing the idea of a respected NFL scout because his opinion (which is more informed than yours or mine) contradicts your personal belief about a player. 

No one is saying Turray is bad. But he clearly wasn’t exactly an elite player yet.

Actually, I had no issue with the Turay thoughts. I just balk at the idea that sacks vs pressures tell the whole story. 

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Actually, I had no issue with the Turay thoughts. I just balk at the idea that sacks vs pressures tell the whole story. 

I mean it makes sense though. Think about it. Pressures are definitely important but the elite players have pressures and sacks. Nowadays with these QBs who can create when they get pressured and make something out of nothing, it’s important to actually bring the QB down. Pressures don’t always result in negative plays. Sacks do

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I mean it makes sense though. Think about it. Pressures are definitely important but the elite players have pressures and sacks. Nowadays with these QBs who can create when they get pressured and make something out of nothing, it’s important to actually bring the QB down. Pressures don’t always result in negative plays. Sacks do

Pressures force quarterbacks to make lower precentage plays.  The fact that those plays occasionally work is beside the point.  You're more likely to keep a QB off the scoreboard if you get pressures regardless of whether you get sacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Although I agree that Luck leaving has definitely altered the plans moving forward, Luck was with the team during last FA. Ballard didn't do much then, even when we were a playoff winning team and had a stud QB.

I just don't think Ballard will ever go after top-level talent via FA, and that's alright. He wants to build his team with guys like Big Q and Leonard, who are top-level talents in themselves.

He said he was interested in some of the top tier FA talent but when the price tag went beyond what he was willing to spend that was it.   Who knows how he comes up with his number but it looks like we will never sign a top tier guy in FA.  Now he might be willing to trade a top pick for a top level talent like Minkah ,who is on his 1st contract, if he thought the team was pretty much built and he was a missing piece.  Other than that I think it's mid tier FA's that he will most likely go after.  JMO

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Yep.   He was worth every bit of it too.   He was a steal for a pick which will end up being in the 15-20 range.

Headed to an All-Pro season likely. That's a Leonard-equse type of player on this defense. Imagine those two running around and wreaking havoc...with Hooker doing his thing.

Willis looks solid...but he is not the level of player that would keep you from getting a talent like Minkah...and Willis could likely thrive in a box S/nickel role. 

I loved Minkah pre-draft...he's probably wearing the green dot on his helmet as soon as next year. He was a perfect fit for this locker room as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overall I think CB's strategy has been fine. He has drafted well and has a foundation.  

Colts have a lot of salary cap room so he can spend some of it to fill needs.  

for draft we need to find a playmaker at WR, probably draft a tackle for OL,  find a TE if he lets Ebron walk, and he needs to find a stud for interior of DL. I would not mind it if he drafted a QB who can be groomed. 

Something that I’ve been wondering for awhile is why Ballard didn’t make a move for Brandon Scherff.

We have Glowinski at RG and he’s not only regressed but teams are targeting him. Plus we almost always run the ball to the left which teams have figured out now. Why not get a proven player at RG who probably would’ve cost a 2nd round pick at most and upgrade your run game ten fold? Rumors were the Redskins wanted to move him too.

Thoughts on drafting a WR in the 1st round:

1. The most recent stat regarding T.Y. missing games and our inability to win in those games (0-7 in games T.Y. has missed) has highlighted the importance of the WR position.

2. Without T.Y. (our only deep threat) the opposing teams have stacked the box and played close to the LOS, taking away our short passing game and our run game.  (I am aware that JB is also to blame for the short passing game).

3. Opposing teams have stacked the boxes and have sent more blitzes, causing more difficulties for out O-lineman. We've had to keep our RBs and TE's in to help out with the blitz pick-ups, taking them out of our passing game too.

4. Without T.Y., it's been difficult to get first downs consistently, because we do not have another WR that can get open fast enough, and on a consistent basis, with reliable hands. This has put a lot of pressure on the offense, and in-turn, the defense has been on the field more.

I know that many people will say that building the trenches is more important. I agree, especially on defense. But, we have seen the negative impact of not having a player like T.Y. in the lineup has had on the offense, including the O-line. They appear to not be able to run block or pass block because of how teams can play against us without a true deep threat, or reliable pass-catcher.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Thoughts on drafting a WR in the 1st round:

1. The most recent stat regarding T.Y. missing games and our inability to win in those games (0-7 in games T.Y. has missed) has highlighted the importance of the WR position.

2. Without T.Y. (our only deep threat) the opposing teams have stacked the box and played close to the LOS, taking away our short passing game and our run game.  (I am aware that JB is also to blame for the short passing game).

3. Opposing teams have stacked the boxes and have sent more blitzes, causing more difficulties for out O-lineman. We've had to keep our RBs and TE's in to help out with the blitz pick-ups, taking them out of our passing game too.

4. Without T.Y., it's been difficult to get first downs consistently, because we do not have another WR that can get open fast enough, and on a consistent basis, with reliable hands. This has put a lot of pressure on the offense, and in-turn, the defense has been on the field more.

I know that many people will say that building the trenches is more important. I agree, especially on defense. But, we have seen the negative impact of not having a player like T.Y. in the lineup has had on the offense, including the O-line. They appear to not be able to run block or pass block because of how teams can play against us without a true deep threat, or reliable pass-catcher.

If, both Funchess and Campbell were healthy, I don’t think The WR position would look like a major need going into 2020.

Fortunately, 2020 is loaded at WR and I wouldn’t be against taking one in Round #1. 

The only FA WR I’d consider is A. Cooper, which won’t happen.

DT, CB, TE and possibly QB should the main positions addressed early in 2020.

I don't prefer to trade high picks for players.  I don't know how GMs project guys who transfer teams.  FA, trades, there's enough examples of guys who have migrated to a new team and have been a massive failure.  The opposite of course is true (bust turned quality starter).  What I'm excluding from this conversation are the guys you swap with teams for low grade picks or similarly rated guys you bring in expecting to be nothing but a backup or S/T.  They can blow up of course, and that's great.  But I am not counting those as part of this analysis, because what the question was related specifically to "building" a team, which I take to mean core players.

Because the spectrum of results is just so unpredictable, I really only like it when it's a Day 1 or 2 player still on his rookie deal that we can get with little investment (Eli Apple, for instance).  Even then, I'd like to get the guy for more than just a year (as opposed to one season or less).  I definitely don't like trading for marquee  players on their second contract.  

That is the general rule.  HOWEVER, there are a few players that I'd pay for, whether it's multiple high picks, or a player with a top tier contract.  For instance, there was a point in time I'd have given multiple firsts for JJ Watt or Von Miller.  When Khalil Mack was available, I wanted him pretty bad.  If a guy like Pat Mahomes was available today for trade, I'd strongly consider it (what price would that be!? oye!).  Guys who are cornerstone players, especially guys who are cornerstone players still on their rookie deal, the general rule doesn't always apply.  I know the trade value is tough to swallow, but as long as it doesn't keep you in perpetual purgatory, you can survive it if it's the right player.

There's a limit of course.  While I follow the general rule 99.9% of the time, there's always that 0.1% of players in the NFL that I'd pay an arm and a leg for.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Just for fun. Turray had a 91.3 PFF grade. Not only Elite, it put him at #1 or 2.
 A shame he was lost.
   https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/quarterbacks-and-pressure-2018
 Those pressures are Golden.

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't prefer to trade high picks for players.  I don't know how GMs project guys who transfer teams.  FA, trades, there's enough examples of guys who have migrated to a new team and have been a massive failure.  The opposite of course is true (bust turned quality starter).  What I'm excluding from this conversation are the guys you swap with teams for low grade picks or similarly rated guys you bring in expecting to be nothing but a backup or S/T.  They can blow up of course, and that's great.  But I am not counting those as part of this analysis, because what the question was related specifically to "building" a team, which I take to mean core players.

Because the spectrum of results is just so unpredictable, I really only like it when it's a Day 1 or 2 player still on his rookie deal that we can get with little investment (Eli Apple, for instance).  Even then, I'd like to get the guy for more than just a year (as opposed to one season or less).  I definitely don't like trading for marquee  players on their second contract.  

That is the general rule.  HOWEVER, there are a few players that I'd pay for, whether it's multiple high picks, or a player with a top tier contract.  For instance, there was a point in time I'd have given multiple firsts for JJ Watt or Von Miller.  When Khalil Mack was available, I wanted him pretty bad.  If a guy like Pat Mahomes was available today for trade, I'd strongly consider it (what price would that be!? oye!).  Guys who are cornerstone players, especially guys who are cornerstone players still on their rookie deal, the general rule doesn't always apply.  I know the trade value is tough to swallow, but as long as it doesn't keep you in perpetual purgatory, you can survive it if it's the right player.

There's a limit of course.  While I follow the general rule 99.9% of the time, there's always that 0.1% of players in the NFL that I'd pay an arm and a leg for.  

Very well thought out response. But I wonder if a few of these notes will change your mind:

49ers (7-1):

-Jimmy Garoppolo (traded for a 2nd round pick)

-Dee Ford (traded for 2nd round pick)

Texans (6-3):

-Laremy Tunsil (trades for 1st round pick and picks)

-Kenny Stills (part of package with Tunsil)

-Duke Johnson (traded for 4th round pick)

Seahawks (8-2):

-Jadeveon Clowney (traded for 3rd round pick)

- Duane Brown (traded for 2018 5th, 2019 2nd, and a CB)

-Quandre Diggs (traded for 2020 5th round pick)

Thats 3 of the top teams in the NFL and they all have marquee players that were acquired in trades. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Of course you build a foundation through the draft. The 49ers entire D-line sans Dee Ford are 1st round picks. But after awhile you can only count on the draft for so long because eventually there won’t be prospects at positions of need that will be as good as players already in the league. And if you trade for young guys still on rookie deals it’s really no different than a draft pick. I heard Matt Miller day that the Steelers do have a 2020 1st round draft pick; it’s Minkah Fitzpatrick. You’re basically betting on the guy you trade for being as good or better than anyone you could have drafted at that spot.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 6:18 AM, Defjamz26 said:

So a topic that I’ve heard discussed on some of the podcasts I listen too is how a lot of teams are now no longer putting all their eggs in the draft basket and are instead trading draft capital for proven players. The Rams traded for Ramsey, Steelers trades for Minkah, the Texans have basically traded their entire draft for Tunsil, Stills, Johnson, and Conley, Seahawks got Clowney for a 3rd, and Dee Ford went to the 49ers for a 2nd.

I also saw Bucky Brooks tweet this:

So we have a GM who has openly stated how he likes to build through the draft and collect picks. I’m wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this philosophy. Should Ballard maintain course or try and switch it up a bit? How well do you think his strategy has worked so far? Want to hear a few takes and then I’ll give my opinion.

I would not be surprised if in the future,  Ballard does indeed do some of what you'd like.

If he's willing to someday sign an eventual expensive free agent with some questionable pesonality issues as he has stated he would do someday,   then I think at some point in the roster building process,  I also think he'l be willing to trade a pick or picks for a proven high level talent.

Were just not there yet.     How much longer?    I'd guess 2-3 more seasons?   

That's my hunch.    But I don't think it's unreasonable....

14 hours ago, MPStack said:

If, both Funchess and Campbell were healthy, I don’t think The WR position would look like a major need going into 2020.

Fortunately, 2020 is loaded at WR and I wouldn’t be against taking one in Round #1. 

The only FA WR I’d consider is A. Cooper, which won’t happen.

DT, CB, TE and possibly QB should the main positions addressed early in 2020.

OL, Wr,Dt, k are our main needs Another electric  rb would help ad well.

Where did all the moves Polian made get us. He used trades and free agency numerous times while he was in charge of a team that had the greatest qb ever. His only 2 acquisitions that had any impact on defense were Bratzke and Mcfarland. The list is very long of names that were acquired through free agency or trades that never did a thing except take up cap space. I'll stick with Ballards approach. And remember everyones favorite whipping post Grigson, he started the disasterous downfall the year he signed Andre Johnson and those other "high profile" free agents so many of you guys clamor for. Again, I'll stick with Ballards approach. We may only get to 2 more sb's over the next 20 years, but how is that any different than the previous 40??? Oh wait, that would be a significant improvement!

On 11/12/2019 at 10:15 AM, stitches said:

IMO it would have been irresponsible to trade a 1st round pick before you know where you are with your QB position. Every piece of draft capital is vital if we decide to move on from Brissett and seek our future QB in the draft and it's much more important to get the QB you want, than to get a safety even if he's a very good one. 

This!

We STILL dont know who is the QB of the future

Maybe Brisett

I guess we can say its not Hoyer.........  :)

There are some interesting QBs in this upcoming draft

If someone with potential came out (Love) and would be available.....  I would consider taking him in the second..... (Unless JB knocks it out of the park, for the balance of the year)

Some crazy posts on here.

I remember when we had some extreme talent with a tiny handful of players

It really WASNT a complete enough team

We should have had multiple SBs with Manning

Most of the time in those years, we couldnt run the ball effectively

(We had to "fake" the pass to run)

If you cant run the ball, when it is cold and sloppy, you will lose in January / February

If you cant stop the run, you will lose in Jan / Feb

We are becoming a well rounded, better talent (top to bottom) roster.

I firmly believe that this is the RIGHT way to build something sustainable

We just have to stay on track (And honestly, not get a "blind spot" toward certain favorite players) - AV

I am grouchy about our last two losses

But I am still happy with the IMPROVEMENT of the roster

We cant expect a single superstar QB to win the games in the playoffs / SB

It rarely happens

On 11/12/2019 at 6:16 PM, yankeeclipper said:

Overall I think CB's strategy has been fine. He has drafted well and has a foundation.  

Colts have a lot of salary cap room so he can spend some of it to fill needs.  

for draft we need to find a playmaker at WR, probably draft a tackle for OL,  find a TE if he lets Ebron walk, and he needs to find a stud for interior of DL. I would not mind it if he drafted a QB who can be groomed. 

Agree

With 4 picks in first 3 rounds we should come away with some talent

We will need to ALSO dip in to FA a bit more to fill some of those holes

6 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Where did all the moves Polian made get us. He used trades and free agency numerous times while he was in charge of a team that had the greatest qb ever. His only 2 acquisitions that had any impact on defense were Bratzke and Mcfarland. The list is very long of names that were acquired through free agency or trades that never did a thing except take up cap space. I'll stick with Ballards approach. And remember everyones favorite whipping post Grigson, he started the disasterous downfall the year he signed Andre Johnson and those other "high profile" free agents so many of you guys clamor for. Again, I'll stick with Ballards approach. We may only get to 2 more sb's over the next 20 years, but how is that any different than the previous 40??? Oh wait, that would be a significant improvement!

That is so far away from the truth:

Biscuit and Shawn King were two reason why the Colts went 13-3 in Manning's second year.

Montae Reagor played well at DT for the Colts after being acquired as a FA.

Even Corey Simon made an impact his first year, but the team and fans were expecting many more years from him.

Then there was Jeff Burris, Tyrone Poole, Walt Harris and Nick Harper

Those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

7 hours ago, Two_pound said:

This isn’t about bringing in over the hill FAs. This is about trading picks for proven players that fit the identity of the team. The Cowboys traded for Amari Cooper and that was a steal for them.

I think you can not only build through the draft, but you can build using draft capital to acquire young proven players.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:32 AM, TheMiz said:

Ballard has said multiple times that he wants to first build a foundation, and then will look at adding big name people via free agency or trade if it's the right move. His philosophy appears to be working, but the foundation took a massive shot 10 days before the season started 

Philosophy is working? Not on defense or at reciever

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thats 3 of the top teams in the NFL and they all have marquee players that were acquired in trades. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Of course you build a foundation through the draft. The 49ers entire D-line sans Dee Ford are 1st round picks. But after awhile you can only count on the draft for so long because eventually there won’t be prospects at positions of need that will be as good as players already in the league. And if you trade for young guys still on rookie deals it’s really no different than a draft pick. I heard Matt Miller day that the Steelers do have a 2020 1st round draft pick; it’s Minkah Fitzpatrick. You’re basically betting on the guy you trade for being as good or better than anyone you could have drafted at that spot.

I'm going to respond in reverse order, since I think it makes a bit more sense to do it, given my thoughts. 

When I said "marquee players" I was meaning players in the top 2 or 3 at their position.  I should have clarified that.   Players that would costs multiple high end picks which I generally only would consider a QB or DE in that case.  If they are not already one of the top 3 in the league at their position, they aren't worth multiple 1sts (plus other picks) in my opinion.  Also, I'm not completely against trading a 1st for a player (or even 2nd or 3rd) such as Minkah Fitzpatrick in all situations.  For the most part I am.  But age, price, position and contract situation all play a role in it.  If I am giving up either 1st/2nd/3rd there's got to be a compelling reason for me to do it.  Take the Minkah trade made.  It made a ton sense for the Steelers and he's only in his second year of his rookie contract.  Matt Miller was right, it practically is a 1st rounder borrowed from next year.  For the right team, it makes sense.  It wouldn't make sense for the Colts since we already have Malik Hooker.

Seahawks (8-2):

-Jadeveon Clowney (traded for 3rd round pick)

- Duane Brown (traded for 2018 5th, 2019 2nd, and a CB)

-Quandre Diggs (traded for 2020 5th round pick)

Take for instance these trades.  Jadeveon for a 3rd round pick, yet Minkah was acquired for a first (and some swappage of future day 3 picks).  For the Colts, I'd make the Jadeveon trade in a heartbeat.  Yeah it's a Day 2 pick, but we have the cap space, and Clowney is a guy you can keep long term.  Minkah, I'd hesitate on, but not if I'm the GM for the Steelers.  That made a ton of sense for them (they are rebuilding - defense was a liability the past couple years and they just lost the "Big 3").  Yeah they lost a 1st, but they still get Minkah for up to 4 years at a rookie wage scale.  That might make sense for the Colts, but not when we have Malik Hooker.  

Texans (6-3):

-Laremy Tunsil (trades for 1st round pick and picks)

-Kenny Stills (part of package with Tunsil)

-Duke Johnson (traded for 4th round pick)

Laremy Tunsil is a hard no.  Multiple firsts and a 2nd?  And you're only getting the guy for two years at rookie pay if you exercise the option.  I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now despite the fact that the change of scenery has somehow transformed Tunsil into one of the best LTs in the league. 

49ers (7-1):

-Jimmy Garoppolo (traded for a 2nd round pick)

-Dee Ford (traded for 2nd round pick)

I alluded to this before, QBs and DEs play by different rules when it comes to trades (for me). I think that's evident without any more clarification.  The pricing on both these trades makes sense.  The Dee Ford trade is pretty much the same trade as Jadeveon Clowney.  The 2nd is palatable I think for someone of either Ford's or Clowney's talent.  I like Clowney better than Ford, though.  He's more versatile, and a better all around player if you ask me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Some crazy posts on here.

I remember when we had some extreme talent with a tiny handful of players

It really WASNT a complete enough team

We should have had multiple SBs with Manning

Most of the time in those years, we couldnt run the ball effectively

(We had to "fake" the pass to run)

If you cant run the ball, when it is cold and sloppy, you will lose in January / February

If you cant stop the run, you will lose in Jan / Feb

We are becoming a well rounded, better talent (top to bottom) roster.

I firmly believe that this is the RIGHT way to build something sustainable

We just have to stay on track (And honestly, not get a "blind spot" toward certain favorite players) - AV

I am grouchy about our last two losses 

But I am still happy with the IMPROVEMENT of the roster

We cant expect a single superstar QB to win the games in the playoffs / SB

It rarely happens

Seven one and dones and how the SB ended against the Saints bears witness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is so far away from the truth:

Biscuit and Shawn King were two reason why the Colts went 13-3 in Manning's second year.

Montae Reagor played well at DT for the Colts after being acquired as a FA.

Even Corey Simon made an impact his first year, but the team and fans were expecting many more years from him.

Then there was Jeff Burris, Tyrone Poole, Walt Harris and Nick Harper

Those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

I think Houston and Funchess were very good signings.   Houston was disappointing earlier, but has come around.  Funchess looked good in his brief time on the field.   

I still think we blew it by not getting Fitzpatrick.   He was a steal for a middle first round pick.   When a team is having a fire sale like the Dolphins were, you join in and take advantage when you can.

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think Houston and Funchess were very good signings.   Houston was disappointing earlier, but has come around.  Funchess looked good in his brief time on the field.   

I still think we blew it by not getting Fitzpatrick.   He was a steal for a middle first round pick.   When a team is having a fire sale like the Dolphins were, you join in and take advantage when you can.

I don't disagree.  My post was purely because the poster said only Bratzke and McFarland were the only Polian FA signings that did anything.

• Like 1

If it were up to some of these armchair GM's we'd have Lev Bell's contract, we would have sold the farm to get OBJ, who wouldn't have done crap with what we have at QB, much like he's doing in Cleveland. You can't just mortgage everything for a few guys that may or may not make a difference. 

You aren't accounting for the fact that Andrew Luck retired literally as the season was starting, we're down to our 3rd string QB that was probably bagging groceries in August/Sept, we've lost our only elite WR for at least 1/4 of the season, our rookie Rd 2 playmaker is out, our FA signed WR is out, and we're down to guys at WR that wouldn't start for the Dolphins. Our best WR is a TE that has hands of microwaved butter. And through all of that, we have acquired enough talent "through Chris Ballard's flawed strategy" to still be contending for the division and a playoff spot. Let's get Jacoby Brissett back this week, get TY, Funchess, and Parris Campbell back on the field so that we can actually see the fruits of Ballard/Reich's labor, because that team beat the Kansas City Chiefs and the Houston Texans. 

After this next offseason, after we've spent that draft capital, and made our 3 draft picks in the first 2 rounds (thanks to Chris Ballard's intuition, cuz we would have Montez Sweat if we hadn't traded back, he's really been a stud...NOT), this team will be a major contender. 2 of those picks are likely in the top 34-35, so essentially 2 first rounders. I'm not sure JB is the answer, but I know one thing for certain, I trust Chris Ballard and Frank Reich to figure out if he is, and if not to go get that guy to take us to another SB title. So much recency bias, without any actual perspective, it's nuts. We'll see what you guys have to say come seasons end, or mid-season next year when we're squarely in the mix, AGAIN, despite all of the hardships and setbacks. 

• Like 2

Coffee drinker- Bennett was a great signing I had forgot about him. When he got hurt at the end of the season and missed the playoff game I believe in 2000 that was huge. But Burris, Poole, and Harris never came close to earning their money. Poole was horrible. Reagor was ok. But the way to go is accumulating draft picks to bring in more players. Quite frankly I would have loved to trade for Minkah, but that doesn't mean the Dolphins would have traded him to us.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, Defjamz26 said:

yes watson can complete passes with players hanging on him

21 hours ago, Myles said:

The only problem is JB.... is he your QB of the future?

He MAY be...... or MIGHT NOT be

If he isnt........   we need that draft capital to get a QB

At the time of the trade (and maybe still) we just dont know if JB is the right answer

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 10:45 AM, CoachSmok3 said:

soooo, just to point out...

Belichick as CLE HC... 36-44

Belichick as NE HC w/o TB12... 1 season, 5-11

So, DEFENSE.... youre right, he doesnt need 4-5 seasons... he just needed the 1 lucky pick of TB12 to change his fortunes...

Just to correct the record the Pats went 11-5 the Matt Cassell season.  The only time a team missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record.  

• Thanks 1

I’ve not read through every post here. So maybe these thoughts have already been shared. 

I do think there is a false narrative that Ballard is unwilling to pay for elite level talent. We’ve seen him in on a few free agent before the price tag got too high for that player. CJ Mosley is one example. I think a better term is “overpay” that in salary or draft capital.  

i do think those who were expecting him to part with a # 1 pick with out truly knowing for fact where they are at QB are delusional. That was never going to happen nor should it. Those clamoring for Fitzpatrick truly don’t have a clue how Ballard thinks. IMHO I believe the Colts feel they have a great safety duo on their hands so why give up capital for a position they feel is already REALLY set?

I think Ballard’s  restraint has and will continue to serve the Colts very well.  It takes guts and discipline to not get into a bidding war over player x and be willing to walk away.  I also think there will come a time in which he does overpay for that one player but I have never thought they were at that point. I also strongly believe until we see his plan for re-signing core players we have no idea of how much cap space the team truly has.