Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
ColtJax

Colts should have gone to Kelly in the 4th

Hoyer was horrible, that was obvious. By the 4th it was a sure bet that if we needed a play he wouldn't make it. At the end of the game when he kept tossing the ball to the back endzone there was open space for him to run and pick up 6-8 yards, he chose a jump ball. Kelly has a much higher up side and he's not afraid to tuck it and run. We should have gone to the bull pen, our starter didn't have it..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

So many geniuses on the forum. I wonder why F. Reich or Ballard didn’t think of this. One or both should be fired. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

So many geniuses on the forum. I wonder why F. Reich or Ballard didn’t think of this. One or both should be fired. 

They should just be shot at dawn...........  

SNARKINESS - OFF

We wont see Kelly this year, unless there is a major injury to JB.

If we lose the next 4 games......  and JB has bad games.......  we STILL wont see Kelly

You cant really put in Kelly without practice........  

Hoyer, looked like a guy that didnt take practice reps this week with the starters.......

Timing is important..... 

I would like to see Kelly get a chance.... ONLY if JB stumbles for multiple games or gets hurt

• Like 1

100% Agreed

P.S. 

Reich and Ballard know more than we do. 

• Thanks 1

I would be all for giving Chad Kelly the second string reps in practice, and then seeing what he can do. However, you saw how bad hoyer was when Brissett took all the reps even though they kept him out vs the dolphins. Yes. They let Brissettt have most of the teams first reps this past week, and then held him out vs the dolphins. 

Who throws it to the endzone 3 damn times in a row and THEN on 4th down you try to move the sticks? What a frustrating game. 

Yeah it's crazy how some folks think it's like grade school football where you can 'wing it' when it comes to real NFL football.

I’m all for putting in a QB that had zero snaps in practice. 

It’s too early for this stuff. 

• Thanks 1

"Who throws it to the endzone 3 damn times in a row and THEN on 4th down you try to move the sticks? What a frustrating game. "

Actually saw Joe Tiller do that more than a few times at Purdue late in games. Very frustrating.

Nope, not without the reps in practice. If there's any chance Brissett won't play, Kelly needs some reps this week in practice to get him ready. 

• Thanks 1

Hoyer was terrible but the the final drive was still within one score, in the red zone (where we've been very productive) with time on the clock. 

Dont love the playcalling, understand  and accept the explanations tho.  Obviously the outcome stunk.  But the team came within short Ebron route of having a shot at winning.

Overcame 3 ints and "the nail in the coffin" (vinny's new 70-30 nickname.  It can be positive or negative.  The fun is we can never know which nail or which coffin til after the kick, but it's always fitting .....(love u vinny,  HOF regardless).

It's a bad loss, but its Tuesday, time to bury it.  Seasons on the line in the very near future.  This dropping (pun intended) is behind us.

Swag (we need to workshop that one) will get his chance eventually just wasn't his week.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

100% Agreed

P.S. 

Reich and Ballard know more than we do. 

nonsense..... I watched a Colts podcast, I read the online newspaper, I watched a FULL 30 mins on YOUTUBE...... HOW WOULD THEY KNOW MORE THAN ME????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, runthepost said:

He had no reps last week. It was not even an option 

What does that mean? If Hoyer had gotten hurt would they not have played Kelley at QB or would they forfeit the game because he did not get any Reps. If Reps are important then how does he not get reps since he may have to play in the game. Hoyer was awful but you leave Kelley on the bench because he did not get reps? That explanation makes zero sense. It makes about as much sense as the excuses for Hoyer not trying to get us a first down when we were on the 13 yard line. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, IinD said:

Yeah it's crazy how some folks think it's like grade school football where you can 'wing it' when it comes to real NFL football.

heh. all comon sense is ignored when you get to the real NFL level. Or maybe only Belechek thinks on this level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, runthepost said:

He had no reps last week. It was not even an option 

Neither did Hoyer the week before next excuse please.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Hoyer was terrible but the the final drive was still within one score, in the red zone (where we've been very productive) with time on the clock. 

Dont love the playcalling, understand  and accept the explanations tho.  Obviously the outcome stunk.  But the team came within short Ebron route of having a shot at winning.

Overcame 3 ints and "the nail in the coffin" (vinny's new 70-30 nickname.  It can be positive or negative.  The fun is we can never know which nail or which coffin til after the kick, but it's always fitting .....(love u vinny,  HOF regardless).

It's a bad loss, but its Tuesday, time to bury it.  Seasons on the line in the very near future.  This dropping (pun intended) is behind us.

Swag (we need to workshop that one) will get his chance eventually just wasn't his week.

I guess Kelly gets a chance to play if Jacoby is injured and Hoyer gets concussed into unconsciousness....now where did I put that slingshot?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

What does that mean? If Hoyer had gotten hurt would they not have played Kelley at QB or would they forfeit the game because he did not get any Reps. If Reps are important then how does he not get reps since he may have to play in the game. Hoyer was awful but you leave Kelley on the bench because he did not get reps? That explanation makes zero sense. It makes about as much sense as the excuses for Hoyer not trying to get us a first down when we were on the 13 yard line. 

He was the emergency option.  

Final drive within one score + Hoyer had 3 td passes the week before +Kelly no reps with the nbr 1's all adds up to it would have taken a major set of , well, you know, to put him in the game.

Wish they would have though...just to possibly get a glimpse of does Kelly have "it" - a specialness about him. 

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

He was the emergency option.  

In all fairness, I can see why Kelly didn't get any reps. They were doing two things this past week-testing Brissett to see if he could play and prepare Hoyer. That must have left little window for Kelly to get reps.

But even with that, I wish they would have given Kelly a series or two. Barring that, I sure would like to know if Reich mentioned to Hoyer, during the timeouts, that the under routes were open once they got to the 16. 

• Like 1

I admit, I would have liked to see him in some game action too.    However since we were in the game the whole time, I understand why he didn't see action.  

Okay, Reich & Ballard do indeed "know more than we do", but let's not downplay the post altogether. I was shocked we didn't go Kelly at HALF. It was CLEAR that Hoyer wouldn't get anything going. The only reason we still had a game in the fourth is because... well it's Miami. I will say, though: I didn't know how much (or how little) practice time Kelly got. Doesn't that happen sometimes though? I think it was worth the risk... I mean how much worse could the QB play have gotten? We literally only needed AVERAGE QB play. He looked good preseason.

This one leaves a sour taste in my mouth because I feel like we surrendered it by not playing Kelly.

52 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

CK should have played the 2nd half, knowing what Hoyer did.

Cal Dr Who and he can give the team a ride "back" to half-time.