Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
indyagent17

What quarterback in the 2020 draft do you want to lead this team

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

2 pages in and nobody has mentioned Chad Kelly? 

 

You guys are slipping lol 

You're right.  We DO need to find out what Kelly can do in some real games.

We would be kicking ourselves for years and be a big laughing stock if he got away and turned into Drew Brees II.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard, Irsay and Reich will try to talk Luck into coming back.  That's our best option really though Burrow looks like he has "It". 

 

I said it the day he retired.  Screw pride or whatever is going through your mind, if he wants to return next year, you take him back in a heartbeat.  He retired at 29.  You could still get another decade of elite QB play out of him.  His shoulder is healed - there is nothing seriously physically wrong with him, and he certainly wouldn't be the first athlete on earth to retire and then decide to return.

 

In January, you have to sit down with him and see where he's at.  If he wants to play, he is your best option moving forward.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real value comes in 2021, with Lawrence and Fields. Fields looks like a better Deshaun Watson, and Lawrence was the few players ever to be ranked a .9999 on 247 Composite. Lawrence isn't having as great a year as he did last year, but like @stitcheseluded to, it isn't all about TD/INT, that dude has the tools to legit be the next Aaron Rodgers. The problem with this is that those guys are in all likelihood going #1 and #2 next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The real value comes in 2021, with Lawrence and Fields. Fields looks like a better Deshaun Watson, and Lawrence was the few players ever to be ranked a .9999 on 247 Composite. Lawrence isn't having as great a year as he did last year, but like @stitcheseluded to, it isn't all about TD/INT, that dude has the tools to legit be the next Aaron Rodgers. The problem with this is that those guys are in all likelihood going #1 and #2 next year. 

I'm yet to really dive into Fields... is he really that good? I've watched several games (without specifically watching for him) and I don't think he jumped at me as a special type of QB and definitely not better than Deshaun Watson, but I might have just had weird luck with games. 

 

The thing with players like that is... if they are really that special, we won't be in position to draft them. I kind of refuse to daydream about the Lawrences or Burrows of the world. That's why I'm resigned to watching the other players that are not perfect and need to be developed past their flaws, players that have high end traits and talent but will need time and work to get there. In this draft my 2 guys are Herbert and Love. I would trade up for Herbert if a reasonable trade is available(not selling the farm for him, but still would probably give an extra 1st to get him). I also would be OK picking Love either with our own 1st or with the WAS second(maybe trade up at the end of the 1st with the WAS second if we want the extra 5th year on the contract). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand settling for inferior back up QBs if you have a franchise  QB, Peyton did it all the time  with Sorgi, but he  was a iron man through most of his carrier. but to have a good but not franchise  type  QB the second guy up is crucial. We have no back up that can take the team  forward unfortunately.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm yet to really dive into Fields... is he really that good? I've watched several games (without specifically watching for him) and I don't think he jumped at me as a special type of QB and definitely not better than Deshaun Watson, but I might have just had weird luck with games. 

 

The thing with players like that is... if they are really that special, we won't be in position to draft them. I kind of refuse to daydream about the Lawrences or Burrows of the world. That's why I'm resigned to watching the other players that are not perfect and need to be developed past their flaws, players that have high end traits and talent but will need time and work to get there. In this draft my 2 guys are Herbert and Love. I would trade up for Herbert if a reasonable trade is available(not selling the farm for him, but still would probably give an extra 1st to get him). I also would be OK picking Love either with our own 1st or with the WAS second(maybe trade up at the end of the 1st with the WAS second if we want the extra 5th year on the contract). 

Lawrence and Fields were 1 and 2 in their recruiting class, and will likely be 1 and 2 in the draft. Fields is having a great year man, he has almost 2000 passing yards with 27 TDs and ONE pick, and 350 more rushing yards and 10 TDs on the ground, his QBR is 93.1 which is 3rd in the country. Dude is legit. You should check him out. 

 

Yeah, I hear you man, the team is just too good to have a shot at those guys and Ballard isn't selling the farm for one of those guys (whether he should or not is another story). 

 

I like Herbert better out of the two you listed, but Love probably has the better ceiling. Herbert has guided Oregon to a great season and a likely spot in the CFP if they win out. He could really help his stock if he keeps playing well, especially against upper echelon teams in the CFP. May put himself out of our reach, will just depend how we fare down the stretch. I'm honestly okay with them losing down the stretch, if it means having a shot at a franchise guy like that or a tank on defense like Isaiah Simmons from Clemson or Epenesa from Iowa. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the luxury  of a  franchise  QB for 2 decades, that being said can we win without one? The Eagles showed us that , but that is under the perfect conditions    Other wise we are just treading water  for the time being , hoping for a miracle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

We had the luxury  of a  franchise  QB for 2 decades, that being said can we win without one? The Eagles showed us that , but that is under the perfect conditions    Other wise we are just treading water  for the time being , hoping for a miracle.  

Yeah, with guys that could catch passes. We don't have that luxury, and Foles is Patrick Mahomes compared to Hoyer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm yet to really dive into Fields... is he really that good? I've watched several games (without specifically watching for him) and I don't think he jumped at me as a special type of QB and definitely not better than Deshaun Watson, but I might have just had weird luck with games. 

 

The thing with players like that is... if they are really that special, we won't be in position to draft them. I kind of refuse to daydream about the Lawrences or Burrows of the world. That's why I'm resigned to watching the other players that are not perfect and need to be developed past their flaws, players that have high end traits and talent but will need time and work to get there. In this draft my 2 guys are Herbert and Love. I would trade up for Herbert if a reasonable trade is available(not selling the farm for him, but still would probably give an extra 1st to get him). I also would be OK picking Love either with our own 1st or with the WAS second(maybe trade up at the end of the 1st with the WAS second if we want the extra 5th year on the contract). 

What's your thoughts on Eason from I think Wash. St?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

What's your thoughts on Eason from I think Wash. St?

 

Eason is the QB at Udub (Washington). He was one of the highest rated recruits in the country, regardless of position. He committed to Georgia, got "beat out" by Fromm, and transferred to Washington and sat a year. He's a huge dude, like Herbert, 6 foot 6 closer to 6'7 and 235-240. He's your prototype pocket passer ala Manning/Luck, and has a live arm. He still needs some fine tuning, but he would be my choice if Tua and Burrow are off the board, assuming we can't get Herbert...so I guess he's my 4th choice. This QB class is stocked tho, as many as 6-7 could go in the 1st. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

What's your thoughts on Eason from I think Wash. St?

I like him, but he's the one I have most hesitation about(from the R1 QBs). He's good but not great at most things. Pocket passer, big QB. The first several times I watched his arm looked OK, but in more recent games he's made some throws that need high level arm strength. It seems like he might actually have a pretty good arm. He can make plays out of the pocket and off platform but rarely runs, which is somewhat of a weird combo. Good accuracy, good anticipation, so-so movement in the pocket. I'd like him to be a bit better dealing with pressure, this is probably the weakest part of his game. He kind of panics a bit, retreats, rather than step up in the pocket. 

 

But overall he seems like a very solid prospect. If Ballard likes him and drafts him, I'd be happy to roll with him, seems like he can be a good QB with relatively high upside if he develops. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooo .. no discussion of putting Newton behind a good offensive line - getting another receiver, adding more D in the draft and Winning a Super Bowl??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This forum is gonna be a mess come draft season, split down the middle on Brissett or draft a QB. Luckily I don't have to make that decision. 

We should have a fairly obvious choice by then. Either JB will play good enough to earn the job or he won't. Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

We should have a fairly obvious choice by then. Either JB will play good enough to earn the job or he won't. Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft.

Yeah you would think. What I'm afraid of is that it's stuck somewhere in the middle, Brissett plays just well enough that we pass on a QB in a class stocked full of them and up stuck in mediocrity. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah you would think. What I'm afraid of is that it's stuck somewhere in the middle, Brissett plays just well enough that we pass on a QB in a class stocked full of them and up stuck in mediocrity. 

Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft. but that's why I said,"Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft. "

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

I'm yet to really dive into Fields... is he really that good? I've watched several games (without specifically watching for him) and I don't think he jumped at me as a special type of QB and definitely not better than Deshaun Watson, but I might have just had weird luck with games. 

 

The thing with players like that is... if they are really that special, we won't be in position to draft them. I kind of refuse to daydream about the Lawrences or Burrows of the world. That's why I'm resigned to watching the other players that are not perfect and need to be developed past their flaws, players that have high end traits and talent but will need time and work to get there. In this draft my 2 guys are Herbert and Love. I would trade up for Herbert if a reasonable trade is available(not selling the farm for him, but still would probably give an extra 1st to get him). I also would be OK picking Love either with our own 1st or with the WAS second(maybe trade up at the end of the 1st with the WAS second if we want the extra 5th year on the contract). 

Why are you so high on love. He has a 11 tds and 12 ints

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, #12. said:

 

I said it the day he retired.  Screw pride or whatever is going through your mind, if he wants to return next year, you take him back in a heartbeat.  He retired at 29.  You could still get another decade of elite QB play out of him.  His shoulder is healed - there is nothing seriously physically wrong with him, and he certainly wouldn't be the first athlete on earth to retire and then decide to return.

 

In January, you have to sit down with him and see where he's at.  If he wants to play, he is your best option moving forward.  

If he wants to come back I'd trade him for one of the top two picks

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This forum is gonna be a mess come draft season, split down the middle on Brissett or draft a QB. Luckily I don't have to make that decision. 

It depends on how the season finishes for me. I am giving JB this whole season to prove his worth. If he plays next week and we go on a run, lets say we finish 10-6 and win the division than I am for him being our QB next season. If he plays average to bad and we finish 8-8 than I am for Ballard drafting a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Why are you so high on love. He has a 11 tds and 12 ints

I posted earlier in the thread about it. I like his traits and physical attributes. The kid has a lot of talent. He's not played great this year, but there are a lot of things that go into it. He does a lot of the things he needs to do really well. He has great arm, he has amazing playmaking on the move(I see why NFL execs compare him to Mahomes), he has really good pocket presence and he moves in the pocket well, steps into his throws fearlessly. And for a player with such a strong arm, you have to see his touch passes, they are a thing of beauty, he can put air under the ball, he has variety of passes and the ball looks beautiful leaving his arm on most of them. He has the bullet passes, he has the lob passes, his "drop in the bucket" passes to the boundary are awesome, he has sidearm passes.

 

That's not to say he is amazing at everything(if he was, we wouldn't be talking about him dropping to the second round). He needs work on his footwork, he needs work on his decisionmaking, because he has been making a lot of wth throws this year... throws where you sit there and wonder why did he think he can fit the ball in that window, or why didn't he see the lurking defender, etc. IMO a lot of it has to do with him being forced to do too much because of how horrible the rest of his roster is. Just feels like he's trying to compensate because he knows if he doesn't score 35-40 they aren't winning. 

 

He's raw and he needs work, but his traits and talent are very high level... I'd draft him and sit him to learn behind Brissett for the first year and I would let Frank develop him over the duration of the season. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he declares, what about taking a chance on Kyle Trask in the 4th or 5th round?  

 

If he returns to college for his senior season, he may work himself into the 2nd round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I posted earlier in the thread about it. I like his traits and physical attributes. The kid has a lot of talent. He's not played great this year, but there are a lot of things that go into it. He does a lot of the things he needs to do really well. He has great arm, he has amazing playmaking on the move(I see why NFL execs compare him to Mahomes), he has really good pocket presence and he moves in the pocket well, steps into his throws fearlessly. And for a player with such a strong arm, you have to see his touch passes, they are a thing of beauty, he can put air under the ball, he has variety of passes and the ball looks beautiful leaving his arm on most of them. He has the bullet passes, he has the lob passes, his "drop in the bucket" passes to the boundary are awesome, he has sidearm passes.

 

That's not to say he is amazing at everything(if he was, we wouldn't be talking about him dropping to the second round). He needs work on his footwork, he needs work on his decisionmaking, because he has been making a lot of wth throws this year... throws where you sit there and wonder why did he think he can fit the ball in that window, or why didn't he see the lurking defender, etc. IMO a lot of it has to do with him being forced to do too much because of how horrible the rest of his roster is. Just feels like he's trying to compensate because he knows if he doesn't score 35-40 they aren't winning. 

 

He's raw and he needs work, but his traits and talent are very high level... I'd draft him and sit him to learn behind Brissett for the first year and I would let Frank develop him over the duration of the season. 

I guess draft him and have him work with house on mechanics for a year and then see what he does the next year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I guess draft him and have him work with house on mechanics for a year and then see what he does the next year

I think that should be the plan regardless of how Brissett plays rest the way, may as well get a guy with high upside like Love, Eason, or Herbert to groom behind JB. What's the worst that could happen, the guy ends up being the franchise QB? If nothing else, JB is still the QB, it's a win win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few schools you dont draft QBs from USC, Ohio St, Florida. I like Hurts, Love, Burrow (Purdue transfer n PU has put out some great NFL qbs). Also, some of the really bad teams took qbs last year. Deep class and not the usual high need, we could get one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady isn’t leaving NE but I would love to get him for his last two years. Haven’t followed Rivers at all but I could see us go the veteran route before drafting a rookie in the top 10

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want the QB who stands in the pocket, runs very little, distributes the ball with accuracy to move the chains, and throws very few interceptions.  Sometimes he can throw it deep, but that's not terribly important.  And I hope he has good chemistry with the WR we'll be taking in the 1st round.

 

We're 0-7 in the 7 games TY hasn't played, IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I want the QB who stands in the pocket, runs very little, distributes the ball with accuracy to move the chains, and throws very few interceptions.  Sometimes he can throw it deep, but that's not terribly important.  And I hope he has good chemistry with the WR we'll be taking in the 1st round.

 

We're 0-7 in the 7 games TY hasn't played, IIRC.

And I bet you want him to win all the games, feed the hungry and clothe the poor. In the off season he can cure cancer. 

 

Just kidding. We can hope, can we.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I want the QB who stands in the pocket, runs very little, distributes the ball with accuracy to move the chains, and throws very few interceptions.  Sometimes he can throw it deep, but that's not terribly important.  And I hope he has good chemistry with the WR we'll be taking in the 1st round.

 

We're 0-7 in the 7 games TY hasn't played, IIRC.

That little int part is very important. If we draft a qb they need to have good field awareness  and not force  throws 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 9:31 PM, dew5150 said:

What about Andy Dalton or Can Newton? 

 

Yikes!   Those 2 would make the team worse.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, Smoke317 said:

Burrow looking like he may be the guy this year.  But if I had a choice, give me Justin Fields in 2021.

Burrow is lighting it up this year and what he did against Alabama was fantastic.  I could also see him sliding a bit in the draft because he has only had one fantastic year.  IN his favor (going higher in the draft) he does play in a pro style system and has the pocket awareness and arm to make all the throws).  But unless a guy is an elite athlete, NFL teams don't like to draft guys high with only 2 years of starting experience and 1 year of great starting experience.

 

of course it may be wishful thinking on my part that he could slide out of the top 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Burrow is lighting it up this year and what he did against Alabama was fantastic.  I could also see him sliding a bit in the draft because he has only had one fantastic year.  IN his favor (going higher in the draft) he does play in a pro style system and has the pocket awareness and arm to make all the throws).  But unless a guy is an elite athlete, NFL teams don't like to draft guys high with only 2 years of starting experience and 1 year of great starting experience.

 

of course it may be wishful thinking on my part that he could slide out of the top 10

As it currently stands, he isn't sliding out of the Top 1. He's a lock to go first, he's put enough on film against several defenses loaded with NFL talent. Google it, scouts are drooling over this kid, so much so that he's supplanted Tua as the QB1 in the class, which is no easy feat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myles said:

 

Yikes!   Those 2 would make the team worse.

I'm not sure that's the case at all. But I can't say for sure and neither would be a good long term option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Iforgotmyname said:

I'm not sure that's the case at all. But I can't say for sure and neither would be a good long term option. 

Maybe not worse, but not an improvement over Brissett.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, MFT5 said:

Jordan Love

Jordan Love needs another year in the college system

 

He has tried to be everything to his team, and has failed this year

 

If he comes out......  he is doing it prematurely

 

But.......

 

I would ABSOLUTELY take the kid (If he comes out) if he is still available for our 2nd round pick in the 2nd

 

He has a TON of talent... needs some more time "in the oven"

 

He could sit behind JB next year and maybe be the franchise player the year following

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, stitches said:

I posted earlier in the thread about it. I like his traits and physical attributes. The kid has a lot of talent. He's not played great this year, but there are a lot of things that go into it. He does a lot of the things he needs to do really well. He has great arm, he has amazing playmaking on the move(I see why NFL execs compare him to Mahomes), he has really good pocket presence and he moves in the pocket well, steps into his throws fearlessly. And for a player with such a strong arm, you have to see his touch passes, they are a thing of beauty, he can put air under the ball, he has variety of passes and the ball looks beautiful leaving his arm on most of them. He has the bullet passes, he has the lob passes, his "drop in the bucket" passes to the boundary are awesome, he has sidearm passes.

 

That's not to say he is amazing at everything(if he was, we wouldn't be talking about him dropping to the second round). He needs work on his footwork, he needs work on his decisionmaking, because he has been making a lot of wth throws this year... throws where you sit there and wonder why did he think he can fit the ball in that window, or why didn't he see the lurking defender, etc. IMO a lot of it has to do with him being forced to do too much because of how horrible the rest of his roster is. Just feels like he's trying to compensate because he knows if he doesn't score 35-40 they aren't winning. 

 

He's raw and he needs work, but his traits and talent are very high level... I'd draft him and sit him to learn behind Brissett for the first year and I would let Frank develop him over the duration of the season. 

I think I repeated you without reading your post  :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Colts1919 said:

Soooo .. no discussion of putting Newton behind a good offensive line - getting another receiver, adding more D in the draft and Winning a Super Bowl??? 

Nah......

 

The defensive coordinators have figured his game out.....

 

He is benched on his own team.... his chance of helping us is low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Just saw a mock with the Colts taking Kinlaw in the 1st then Devonta Smith with the Skins pick, I like that a lot. Doesn't solve the QB problem, but solves 2 others. I'd almost rather go Qb early in the draft and fill other holes in FA. 
    • Yeah no. I know the Colts franchise is so used to always having the answer in front of them but this is not it. Jacoby Brissett is not the future of the Colts plain and simple. A fluff piece from SI doesn’t change that. He not special whatsoever. He has clear limitations that aren’t going to fix themselves when everyone is healthy. He’s not bad or anything but he doesn’t scare anyone on the opposing team. Teams are more scared of Winston then they are Jacoby.
    • I’d 100% challenge this sentence. I’ve not seen much, if any improvements in processing from JB from the 2017 year up till this last game. In fact, it could be worse now than the 2017 season. Either way, processing is certainly his worst trait and I don’t think bodes well for a starting QB in the NfL. If only he could get the defenses to respect his game just as an average starter, the game could open up so much more.    maybe our offense should just become the Army-Navy game style. Run run run run run. 
    • It's a pretty darn good roster overall. Folks poo pooing this roster simply have a singular and Colts-centric view and little knowledge of the rest of the league. We've come such a long way in a couple years. Sure we have places that still need upgrades but if you compare the units/positions from 4 years ago, the transformation is pretty obvious.    That said, it's a lot easier to improve a very bad roster, and it gets harder as the overall depth and talent improve. Replacing bad with average makes a big difference. Now we're trying to replace the average, trying to build depth behind the good, and bring in guys to eventually replace the aging good.    I've said for a while, I love what Ballard is doing, but his job was easier early on. It's what he does now and in the next couple years as it gets harder, that is what is important.    As far as Reich goes, I like him a lot, but I'm still on the fence with him a bit. I give him a pass for this year as his talent at QB took a major hit. The only thing I'd ding him on is lack of QB development/improvement. I don't necessarily blame him though as I think JB has just hit his ceiling and not sure he'll ever improve some of the basics he struggles with. He has had some real duds in terms of game plans though. 
    • If I had to guess, it's not that they necessarily love JB as if he was top tier guy, it's that's there's no clear moves to improve the position through the draft. And even though I think a guy like Andy Dalton is probably a sizable improvement to JB, people aren't going to accept that..
  • Members

    • fahlman

      fahlman 37

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ShakerColt

      ShakerColt 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • adubb84

      adubb84 254

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEric07

      IndyEric07 10

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonColt

      ClaytonColt 413

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Defjamz26

      Defjamz26 4,109

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jdubu

      Jdubu 1,175

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dingus McGirt

      Dingus McGirt 1,037

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pacolts56

      pacolts56 3,480

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • rockywoj

      rockywoj 1,901

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...