Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby to be game time decision (update: Brissett out vs. Miami)

GoColts8818

That's not good... the second part I mean. IMO we are not good enough to be missing that many weapons against anyone, even Miami. Both Hoyer and Fitzpatrick are high variance QBs and this means in some non-negligible part of the cases they will make a game out of this one. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If JB wasn't playing I would've thought Kelly would've been brought up by now. Great point.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If JB wasn't playing I would've thought Kelly would've been brought up by now. Great point.

They don't have to commit to Kelly until Saturday.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s possible he dresses but is the backup. They may not want to cut anyone. 

They aren’t going into a game with one healthy QB.  If Jacoby can play he will start If he can’t they bring up Kelly.

8 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

They don't have to commit to Kelly until Saturday.

Correct that’s the bell weather here.  I’d Kelly isn’t brought up Jacoby is playing if he is brought up Jacoby is out.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t going into a game with one healthy QB.  If Jacoby can play he will start If he can’t they bring up Kelly.

Correct that’s the bell weather here.  I’d Kelly isn’t brought up Jacoby is playing if he is brought up Jacoby is out.

I think you missed the point. They definitely can use JB in a emergency situation. Not good enough to start but on a emergency situation can go in and finish the game. It’s always a possibility. I agree though that is probably not happening. Reich said their is only a tiny risk of further injury. So I would rather JB start and if he can play without hurting the team he should go and you always have Hoyer if he is hurting the team. It’s not unusual to rest a starter with injury but have them dressed.

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you missed the point. They definitely can use JB in a emergency situation. Not good enough to start but on a emergency situation can go in and finish the game. It’s always a possibility. I agree though that is probably not happening. Reich said their is only a tiny risk of further injury. So I would rather JB start and if he can play without hurting the team he should go and you always have Hoyer if he is hurting the team. It’s not unusual to rest a starter with injury but have them dressed.

They aren’t going to do that.  They would bring Chad Kelly up from the practice squad.  The main reason not to play Jacoby is fear that he could get hurt worse or isn’t healthy enough to play in the first place.  If those things are true he’s not playing and they won’t dress him.  They aren’t going to risk him to further injury just so they don’t have to cut the 53rd guy on the roster.  

If he’s healthy enough to play with no real risk to further injury he’s going to start.  He’s not going to be the back up Incase Hoyer gets hurt.  

There isn’t such a thing as healthy enough to play but not start.  It’s not like guys hit less hard because a guy wasn’t the starter.  

The only reason he stayed dressed last week and Reich said he could come back under certain scenario was because there was no other QB option. The next guy was Zach Pascel per people who cover the Colts.  So if Hoyer has been knocked out of the game Jacoby would have come in to handle snaps and do handoffs.  Not exactly a good offensive option but it would have been about getting out of the game at that point and not really expecting to have a chance to win.  

They aren’t going to back themselves into that corner Sunday by going into the game with only one real QB on the roster that can play.  They would bring Kelly up so they had a real backup if needed.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t going to do that.  They would bring Chad Kelly up from the practice squad.  The main reason not to play Jacoby is fear that he could get hurt worse or isn’t healthy enough to play in the first place.  If those things are true he’s not playing and they won’t dress him.  They aren’t going to risk him to further injury just so they don’t have to cut the 53rd guy on the roster.  

If he’s healthy enough to play with no real risk to further injury he’s going to start.  He’s not going to be the back up Incase Hoyer gets hurt.  

There isn’t such a thing as healthy enough to play but not start.  It’s not like guys hit less hard because a guy wasn’t the starter.  

The only reason he stayed dressed last week and Reich said he could come back under certain scenario was because there was no other QB option. The next guy was Zach Pascel per people who cover the Colts.  So if Hoyer has been knocked out of the game Jacoby would have come in to handle snaps and do handoffs.  Not exactly a good offensive option but it would have been about getting out of the game at that point and not really expecting to have a chance to win.  

They aren’t going to back themselves into that corner Sunday by going into the game with only one real QB on the roster that can play.  They would bring Kelly up so they had a real backup if needed.

If he is the backup he is clearly healthy enough to go in if there is a emergency. This isn’t unusual. 

By the way I can see why people are not sold on JB, I am not either but we can win games with him. Watching Hoyer sling it around was exciting but he makes too many mistakes IMO. Hoyer is a good backup and can beat the Dolphins if we run it well. Brissett was a great backup, not good but great and is now proving he can start for an elite franchise. Chad Kelly is just unproven so I won't bash him, he is talented but I wonder why nobody has picked him up?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

By the way I can see why people are not sold on JB, I am not either but we can win games with him. Watching Hoyer sling it around was exciting but he makes too many mistakes IMO. Hoyer is a good backup and can beat the Dolphins if we run it well. Brissett was a great backup, not good but great and is now proving he can start for an elite franchise. Chad Kelly is just unproven so I won't bash him, he is talented but I wonder why nobody has picked him up?

From what I read Ballard gave him a pretty sweet contract to go on our practice squad.  It made it difficult for other teams to sign him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I guess Campbell may be done for the year not that he’s done anything anyway.

The plan is to get him back for the last few games and the playoffs.  He will stay on the roster as long as we don’t need his spot. So his fate is probably going to be if there are anymore injuries. They could also decide to IR him when DF comes back if they don’t want to cut another player. Injuries will be what decides him fate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I think the two scenarios here are...JB is going to start OR they are having MIA game plan for JB all week but will bring up Kelly today.

I can’t see a scenario where JB is Hoyer’s backup. 

the tea leaves suggest Brissett starting and no roster movement for Kelly. 

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Correct.  He’s the starter Hoyer isn’t.  If he can play he will start.  Like I said before there is no such thing as healthy enough to play but not start.

Sure there is.

It happens regularly.

Granted, not as much as not dressing, but we do see it.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Media doesn’t get to see all of practice but take this for what it is.

JB doesn’t want another QB pushing the ball downfield in games and exposing his flaw. Not that he will get replaced because it’s not a secret to the team and they are working on developing him but as a QB, you never want to see another guy step in and see the offense just become exponentially better. I just hope that JB isn’t coming back too early and becomes a liability out there with limited movement. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

JB doesn’t want another QB pushing the ball downfield in games and exposing his flaw. Not that he will get replaced because it’s not a secret to the team and they are working on developing him but as a QB, you never want to see another guy step in and see the offense just become exponentially better. I just hope that JB isn’t coming back too early and becomes a liability out there with limited movement. 

JB playing tomorrow has nothing to do with what he thinks how Hoyer may play. If JB plays tomorrow it will be because the doctors cleared him and Reich gives it the ok. I am sure JB isn't worried if Hoyer plays like Dan Marino and puts up 35 points. He would root it on IMO. JB's job as a starter is secure.