Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: Early look at the 2020 Draft Quarterback Class

Their ranking right now is:

1. Joe Burrow (big time throws 21, turnover worthy plays - 8) , PFF passing grade - 92.2

2. Tua Tagovailoa(big time throws 7, turnover worthy plays - 4), PFF passing grade - 86.0

3. Justin Herbert (big time throws 17, turnover worthy plays - 5), PFF passing grade - 90.3 

(they think those 3 will probably go top 10)

4. Jacob Eason (big time throws 19, turnover worthy plays - 8), PFF passing grade - 84.2 

5. Jake Fromm (big time throws 8, turnover worthy plays - 3), PFF passing grade - 89.0

6. Jalen Hurts (big time throws 10, turnover worthy plays - 6), PFF passing grade - 92.2

7. Jordan Love (big time throws 18, turnover worthy plays - 21), PFF passing grade - 68.6 

Sleeper: Jamie Newman, Wake Forest (big time throws 13, turnover worthy plays - 5), PFF passing grade - 90.8 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, MPStack said:

J. Love’s stock is going way down. 9TD and 12 INT on the season. 

Yeah, I've watched several games. He's pushing it hard. He lost a lot of talent(and coaching) from last year's team and a couple of his starting linemen on an already bad OLine got injured. He just is not playing solid football right now. He's trying to do too much, because the rest of his roster is not great. I've watched about 4-5 of his games... he started well the season, but the more struggles the offense is having the more risky he gets trying to playmake. I'd say he's "tilting" using the poker terminology if you are familiar with it... 

I still like him though. He has some very high level attributes and skills. He won't be ready for year 1 though, IMO. There are even questions on whether he will declare for the draft...  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MPStack said:

J. Love’s stock is going way down. 9TD and 12 INT on the season. 

12 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I've watched several games. He's pushing it hard. He lost a lot of talent(and coaching) from last year's team and a couple of his starting linemen on an already bad OLine got injured. He just is not playing solid football right now. He's trying to do too much, because the rest of his roster is not great. I've watched about 4-5 of his games... he started well the season, but the more struggles the offense is having the more risky he gets trying to playmake. I'd say he's "tilting" using the poker terminology if you are familiar with it... 

I still like him though. He has some very high level attributes and skills. He won't be ready for year 1 though, IMO. There are even questions on whether he will declare for the draft...  

IIRC, he lost his 3 best receivers from last year, and his best RB got drafted. Lost some OL (grad) and injury. Also, coaching change. Total flip in personnel and coaching. Their D is giving up 50+ more yards per game as well. 

You're spot on. Trying to do too much, but likely being asked to do too much as well.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'm usually not much on trading up, but I would sell some picks for burrow

I just texted my buddy and jokingly said: "If I was Ballard, I'd trade every pick we had in this year's draft for Burrow."

His talent is impressive.  But his fire and leadership are rare. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

He's looking sensational! Wish we had a chance to take him. 

I still think Kyle Trask from Florida could be a sleeper if he declares. He's built almost identical to Luck(6'5 240). Not saying he would be as good as Burrow in LSU's offense, but I think he would be better with LSU's offense and playmakers rather than Florida's and he's doing well with what he has there.

I'd feel a lot better with him as opposed to Eason or Love. He's played much better competition than those 2 and produced. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

Of course he is.. 

Walterfootball has reports that NFL teams still consider Tua the #1 guy.  

Big thing to remember is Tua has done it for multiple years and this is Burrow's only good season.

He'll still likely go in the first round, but I'm not 100% confident that he is the first QB off the board.  

44 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Walterfootball has reports that NFL teams still consider Tua the #1 guy.  

Big thing to remember is Tua has done it for multiple years and this is Burrow's only good season.

He'll still likely go in the first round, but I'm not 100% confident that he is the first QB off the board.  

This will only be Tua's 2nd full year, just like Joe's. Actually Joe has played just as many games as Tua if you count his time at Ohio State. However, Tua's time in late 17' was extremely valuable in that Bama completely tailored the offense to him for 18' when Hurts was benched. Burrow didn't get that luxury last year as he had just transferred in from Ohio State and had to learn a whole new offense, which was horrific to begin with. LSU brings Joe Brady and his NFL experience in, this year, and Burrow is on pace to 1 up every passing statistic Tua had last year. The guy is 9 games in, just played Alabama, and still has a completion of ~80%.

So, I'm sure NFL teams are taking into account what Joe did last year and comparing it to this after being thrown in, and flourishing, within an NFL system. All the tools and physical traits of an NFL QB, and without the injuries. I'd be shocked if Burrow isn't first off the board to Cincy.

I'm just watching Oklahoma vs Baylor. I don't think I want Hurts. Never been impressed by him. A ton of his production is either schemed or product of his playmakers. There rarely are any NFL type throws in his game. His game in non-athletic scenarios(as a pocket passer) is very similar to Brissett with all of its negatives(locking into receivers, slow through progressions, lack of anticipation throwing, etc.) + some other worrying things like dropping his eyes when the pocket collapses and not looking to pass when he leaves the pocket. Pretty much the best thing about his game is his athleticism and ability to get yards and 1st downs with his running. And very frequently when he does it he takes cringeworthy hits that make me worry about his ability to play the position long-term healthy. I don't think I want us to draft him. It's very possible he's not better than Brissett and never will be. 

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Tua will not be ready pre-combine / pre draft, so I guess he will like fall down the boards. Does Ballard take him early round 2 to sit/learn/get healthy behind JB7?

Depends on what we do with Hoyer/C. Kelly too...

Again - you don't make decisions on the face of your franchise for the next 10-15 years based on your 2nd and 3d string QB.  Hoyer/Kelly should NOT even enter the conversation here. If you love Tua(or any other QB in the draft) and you have the chance to take them, your backup QBs should not influence that decision. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

Again - you don't make decisions on the face of your franchise for the next 10-15 years based on your 2nd and 3d string QB.  Hoyer/Kelly should NOT even enter the conversation here. If you love Tua(or any other QB in the draft) and you have the chance to take them, your backup QBs should not influence that decision. 

Nobody is going to love Tua, only because he may never play at a high level ever again. Not saying I wish that, but is very possible.  You get him, dump your backups, and he doesn't pan out, then you have exhausted a lot of resources on an iffy chance that failed.

You still have your old QB but with no backups.

Dr. Chao had a (NFL) guy suffer this in SD. They got him playing in 8 weeks.  Caught a TD in his second game back.  Then, never played another game after that year. Dennis Pitta suffered one in 2013, played sparingly until his best year in 2016. Had dislocation 3 times, though.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Nobody is going to love Tua, only because he may never play at a high level ever again. Not saying I wish that, but is very possible.  You get him, dump your backups, and he doesn't pan out, then you have exhausted a lot of resources on an iffy chance that failed.

You still have your old QB but with no backups.

Dr. Chao had a (NFL) guy suffer this in SD. They got him playing in 8 weeks.  Caught a TD in his second game back.  Then, never played another game after that year. Dennis Pitta suffered one in 2013, played sparingly until his best year in 2016.

Yeah... the medical staff would be key in this situation for sure. It's kind of different for QBs. They don't need that type of athleticism and mobility to play at a high level. WRs and TEs to a slightly lesser degree are hugely dependent on being able to make sharp cuts, having great agility, strength(for TEs), etc.

I just read Pita retired because he dislocated his hip for 3d time... I guess reinjury becomes much more likely ... damn... that sucks for the kid. What a horrible thing to happen to such a talented player. :( 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Tua will not be ready pre-combine / pre draft, so I guess he will like fall down the boards. Does Ballard take him early round 2 to sit/learn/get healthy behind JB7?

Depends on what we do with Hoyer/C. Kelly too...

I would love it if the Vikings could get Tua or Fromm. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just read Pita retired because he dislocated his hip for 3d time... I guess reinjury becomes much more likely ... damn... that sucks for the kid. What a horrible thing to happen to such a talented player. :( 

It's true.  Dr.'s told Pitta to retire in 2015.  He had to after 2016.

On 11/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, twfish said:

I'm usually not much on trading up, but I would sell some picks for burrow

I would sell the farm for.......  CHASE YOUNG

He is better than either Bosa

Just what the dr ordered :)

JB is a good ENUFF QB......  

Chase Young is elite

But.... I FULLY expect to have CB stay where he is and or trade back to get more picks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would sell the farm for.......  CHASE YOUNG

He is better than either Bosa

Just what the dr ordered :)

JB is a good ENUFF QB......  

Chase Young is elite

But.... I FULLY expect to have CB stay where he is and or trade back to get more picks

That would meaning moving up to 2....that would definitely be giving up the farm. This year's 1, both 2's...maybe a 1 next year(assuming Cincy picks a qb of course)

11 hours ago, ColtV said:

That would meaning moving up to 2....that would definitely be giving up the farm. This year's 1, both 2's...maybe a 1 next year(assuming Cincy picks a qb of course)

First off..... IT aint going to happen

But .....  Imagine this defense with a terror off the edge.......  

Chase Young plays both pass and run better than any defensive end I have ever seen out of college

I have been wrong before (and I WILL be again... Im sure) 

We have a lot of draft picks and fewer "holes" to fill

But again.....  I highly doubt that a trigger would be pulled like this

I can see CB trading out again, and picking up earlier, later picks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Chase Young plays both pass and run better than any defensive end I have ever seen out of college

It was a shame with the suspension as I really think he could have challenged Suggs sack record of 24. His strength and quickness/first step, for being 265lbs, is incredible. The kid will be the difference maker down the stretch for the Buckeyes. 

Side note, as much as I like Hines, I think Dobbins would be the perfect fit for that role. Bigger and can handle 15-20 carries a game if anything were to happen to Mack.  I'd like to see the Colts find a way to snag him with one of their day 2 picks because I doubt he lasts much longer than that. 

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

You don't have to sell me on him, I'm a buyer. I'd even do the deal.

5 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Ballard was at the Utah State game watching Jordan Love tonight.

Utah State is awful this year, but Love made some jaw-dropping throws, as per usual.

I think at the end of the day he will end up very high on my personal board. I know myself way too well to know that at the end I will disregard all his weaknesses as fixable and will push him up because of his arm talent and playmaking ability. I wouldn't be shocked if I put him at no. 2 or 3 in my QB list when it's said and done. 

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We can keep Kirk and draft another QB. The Pats have a multi-year SB-winning QB and they draft and develop QBs all the time. 

y'all are my favorite team in the NFC I'll be cheering for you all the way til the end unless by some miracle you play the colts in the SB but that's not likely 

• Thanks 1

FWIW, the Colts had a scout at the Oregon Arizona game. I didn't see Herbert play, but his box score was good, 333 yards 4 TDs 1 INT. Looks like the Colts front office are doing their due diligence on the QB situation.

Broncos having 2 at the game is telling I guess. I think Herbert will go in the Top 10, I can see the Chargers or the Broncos moving up and just take him.

Those stats for Herbert are very misleading.  I’d say about 70 of those yards and a TD were off back to back tunnel screens.  He also had two INTs dropped by DBs.  For a Senior, I would not have expected to see the mistakes he made. Maybe it was a one game anomaly....

• Like 1