Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Art of throwing receivers open Brissett, Hoyer Stampede Blue

lollygagger8

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just pointing out a slight movement of the goalpost here.  I never said they shouldn't have gotten criticized.  I said they got criticized for mainly everything.

Luck threw high.  Luck was generally inaccurate on the short passes that required YAC.  Luck hardly ever looked for checkdowns quick enough, contributing to effect of pressure.  I'm not sure how much he audibled out of a bad play.  If poor coaching or OC decisions were the cause of it, then he didn't have enough guts to tell them to shove it and play what he thought would work during the game, like Manning or Favre would have.

Luck was great, but he had flaws and I wasn't too disappointed when he announced his retirement.  We had other things to build to get to the SB then, and still do whether he is here or not.

When he announced his retirement, I puked. Was depressed for a week but I am over it.

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

So the 3 points at the end of the half made no difference or the missed field goal to end the game didn't matter at all, correct? Wow!!

I stand by my comment that INT was the turning point. That was a 14 pt swing. Now not saying we score a TD but hoyer had been playing well so I am saying he probably would have.

Would I like JB to have better anticipation and "throw receivers open"?  Yes.

Is that necessary in the offense Reich/Sirianni are asking him to run?  I don't know.

What I do know is that Peyton Manning was the best at putting the ball where his receiver was supposed to be.  They could be sleep-running their routes with their eyes closed and the ball would still hit them in the hands as soon as they came out of their break.  But PM isn't walking into a Colts huddle anytime soon, so it's probably a moot point.

Just run the damn ball and play some damn mistake-free defense.  That's what wins championships.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I stand by my comment that INT was the turning point. That was a 14 pt swing. Now not saying we score a TD but hoyer had been playing well so I am saying he probably would have.

Turning point is one thing, cost us the game is another. So guess you are changing your argument to turning point.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  Its relevant to point to these flaws in Luck because he never got massively criticized for them.  Now that our QB is not Luck, the QB gets massively criticized for them.

I guess if JB can't throw receivers open, we'll just have to find receivers that get open by themselves.  And a 3tech DT and maybe even 4 new DBs,  yes 4,  that actually make plays that give our QB better field position occasionally.  (but they're still young).  And a more consistent kicker.

We had the GOAT from 1999 to 2012 and the other #1 pick in the draft , the Something-Less-Than-GOAT for 5 years after that.  In about 20 years of paying that type of QB we've had 1 superbowl win. 

JB is fine,IMO.  And yes he needs to improve, as would a new college rookie QB would need to improve, like both PM and AL had to also.

He is fine, does some things that are needed to win games. He isn't a rookie though. Think this is his 4th year, second as starter. Is it possible he is who he is and can't take the his game to another level? 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, FRW said:

"'Also minus the one pick 6 Hoyer looked better than Brissett has recently."

Except he's a statue. There were probably two or three times Sunday that JB would have run for a first down or avoided a sack because of his mobility. Hoyer went down on all of them. Too bad we don't have a QB with Hoyer's passing skills and JB's mobility. Oh wait we used to. Whatever happened to that guy. That is part of the problem right now. Offensively this team is built for Andrew Luck, not Jacoby Brissett. They are stylistically very different. CB and FR are going have to decide, do they make changes to fit JB's skill set, does or can JB make changes to adapt to the team as it's presently constructed or is someone else brought in to better match the other pieces already in place?

That being said if we had a kicker who could make 90% of his PATs, not an unreasonable expectation at this level, we would be 7-1 and tied with NE for first in the AFC.

Regarding the statue/sacks comment. Pitt was easily the best DL we've played all year long when it comes to sacks, hurries, etc.. JB was sacked once in his limited time, 1 on 5 attempts, or 20%, and Hoyer 4 on 26 attempts, or 15%.

While I agree JB has decent avoidance, his sack to attempt % was higher than Hoyers in the limited sample. JB's time to throw has averaged 2.87 this year, and has been 3.0+ vs decent Ds. Hoyer's was 2.51 (which is a top 5 average). In short, not think we can assume JB wouldn't have been sacked as much or more.

I do agree on style and team build though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Luck was great, but he had flaws and I wasn't too disappointed when he announced his retirement.

man dougie you have said some outlandish and dumb stuff but this one takes the cake!!!

I have come to the conclusion that you just hate talented players in general.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Is that necessary in the offense Reich/Sirianni are asking him to run?  I don't know.

What I do know is that Peyton Manning was the best at putting the ball where his receiver was supposed to be.  They could be sleep-running their routes with their eyes closed and the ball would still hit them in the hands as soon as they came out of their break.  But PM isn't walking into a Colts huddle anytime soon, so it's probably a moot point.

Just run the damn ball and play some damn mistake-free defense.  That's what wins championships.

Unfortunately the last two weeks have been far from mistake-free. Not to mention we've sometimes struggled running the ball against better than average fronts, which is likely what we'd see in the playoffs.

Not that I don't get your point...just that I think it's much easier said than done to do those things consistently and that we're not quite there yet. What with the youth on defense making those mistakes and, for whatever reasons, our struggles to run against better fronts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

He is fine, does some things that are needed to win games. He isn't a rookie though. Think this is his 4th year, second as starter. Is it possible he is who he is and can't take the his game to another level? 

That is very possible We just don’t know that. From what we have seen we have to let his contact play out and see what we have. No one really knows. He is good enough and we have a good enough team to win games we can wait and find out instead f throwing him overboard before we really know.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Unfortunately the last two weeks have been far from mistake-free. Not to mention we've sometimes struggled running the ball against better than average fronts, which is likely what we'd see in the playoffs.

Not that I don't get your point...just that I think it's much easier said than done to do those things consistently and that we're not quite there yet. What with the youth on defense making those mistakes and, for whatever reasons, our struggles to run against better fronts.

I think this team is still very young. That’s why we are seeing mistakes. They let one mistake snowball into five mistakes  We should mature eventually where we don’t let one mistake turn into 5. Eberflus when asked about that Leonard penalty reminded the press that he was only in his second year. We forget that with him being a all pro.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

man dougie you have said some outlandish and dumb stuff but this one takes the cake!!!

Yeah if one person in here was happy Luck retired then that would be a shock. I was mad, upset, sick, and still not happy but I do like JB. So I am over it, well sort of. If Luck said he wanted to come back next year, I would say hell yes. I even think JB is borderline good but he isn't Andrew.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Turning point is one thing, cost us the game is another. So guess you are changing your argument to turning point.

We were in complete control of that game up to that point. We were pretty much dominating them. When one mistake happened we let it snowball and kept making mistakes which is normal for a young team. If that INT doesn’t happen maybe we don’t make the other mistakes. Not talking AV here. Young teams let one mistake turn into 5. Veteran good teams have one mistake and they don’t let it bother them. 

18 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You may have just hit the nail on the head, my friend.

It all makes sense now.  Any player drafted in the first round... any player that becomes All-Pro...  any player that leads the league in a statistical category... any Colts player considered the best at their position... any player (or GM) getting a lot of love on this forum...

The more successful/beloved a member of the Colts becomes, the more Doug finds to criticize...  :thinking:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We were in complete control of that game up to that point. We were pretty much dominating them. When one mistake happened we let it snowball and kept making mistakes which is normal for a young team. If that INT doesn’t happen maybe we don’t make the other mistakes. Not talking AV here. Young teams let one mistake turn into 5. Veteran good teams have one mistake and they don’t let it bother them. 

Maybe? Emphatically you stated the int cost us the game, maybe? But not talking AV here. If AV makes the kick we win. Now I think it's very clear.:HFire:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Maybe? Emphatically you stated the int cost us the game, maybe? But not talking AV here. If AV makes the kick we win. Now I think it's very clear.:HFire:

What I meant was I don’t think the snowball  of all the mistakes was what made Vinny have a bad day. That is a entirely separate issue.

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

LMAO
  Our last QB held on to the ball until last season. It got him killed time and again.
 He held on to it waiting for his receivers to come out of their breaks then using his over the top (often sailing) fast ball to try to get in in there in time.
 The high and late passes got guys killed and caused many so called "drops", and Int's.
 After the first couple games settling in, Brissett has shown a better short to mid-range accurate touch than our last QB ever had. 
 No doubt he must get better. He and his receivers need more experience together being on the same page reading coverages.
 After another training camp and another 1/2 season will be a fairer time to know what he can be.

Saying JB has a better short/intermediate touch/accuracy than Luck last year is a bit of a head scratcher. Luck was substantially above average (great to elite) in 4 of 6 short to intermediate quads.  He was above average in a 5th, and only below average in one. His pure passer rating last year was higher than JBs, and Luck was severely hampered the first 3rd of the year with no running game and musical chairs along the OL. Meanwhile JB has had a both a great running game and top 5 OL the entire first half. 

Regarding drops.... , we're on track for more drops this year than last. TY, who only had 4 drops last year, has 3 or 4 drops already this year depending on what stats service you look at. What does this say about JBs touch? And I think TY has done a phenomenal job adjusting to JB, and has made some fantastic adjustments on badly thrown balls.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Have to agree with ya LCF. I believe that you are alluding to intangibles. You either have em, or you don't. Can they be acquired? I suppose so, but you are playing catch up skill wise. Guys like PM, TB, Luck, Wilson, "It"came natural. They have/had that "it" factor. Had it in college. Step further, since they have it they build their skills to get that "wow". 

As for our offense, I would think that it would be absolutly necessary to be able to anticipate and help your guys. All these guys are big, fast. Offense has the upper hand because they know the play and where guys are supposed to be. PM was the master. My guess is if you werent where he threw it, you done screwed up and his face would let you know that. 

Does JB have it? Heck I dont know, but he certainly doesnt wow. Therefore, lean on the D and run the dang ball! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Is it necessary? Its about as necessary as a running back who can anticipate openings in the line,  or a DB reading the QBs eyes to break a split second before the throw on an interception.  Sure, you can survive the NFL without the ability to see it before it happens. But You will be a hell of a lot more effective and thus play longer in the NFL if you anticipate things before anyone has a chance of reacting. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Douzer said:

OK slow, but that's +3 yards instead of -7 and a sack. Pocket awareness & escape-ability are quality traits. Successfully running for 1st downs & sustaining drives, instead of punting is a solid trait. Yardage gained is not the metric that matters really - it's evading sacks, turning negative plays into a positive ones, keeping down & distance to the offenses advantage. There's also not turning the ball over, the one that really kills teams more than any other trait. It's not flashy, but those traits win way more than they lose...

He sheds some tacklers in the pocket with his size no doubt, but he is essentially no run threat.  20 or so QBs have higher ypc than JB.

7 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Its impossible to run well in the NFL without a downfield passing threat and has been since at least the 70s.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Its impossible to run well in the NFL without a downfield passing threat and has been since at least the 70s.

Mack's YPC has suffered this year because of Ds keying on him (4.3 not, down from 4.7 last year). Thank god we have a top 5 OL... 

Folks don't understand just how good our OL has been. Not only do they have to protect a QB with a high time to throw, they also have to run block vs Ds that are constantly selling out vs the run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Mack's YPC has suffered this year because of Ds keying on him (4.3 not, down from 4.7 last year). Thank god we have a top 5 OL... 

Folks don't understand just how good our OL has been. Not only do they have to protect a QB with a high time to throw, they also have to run block vs Ds that are constantly selling out vs the run.

yep, yep, and yep

• Thanks 1

Hoyer's success shows me we can plug and play any competent QB behind

our line and they will hold their own. We have one the best lines in the NFL.

Its soo good that it often creates a short passing game because QB's can sit

forever waiting for the underneath stuff to develop.  In essence its perfect

for JB because that is the protection he requires to run his offense. As long as

the oline dosnt regress to good/average from great he will thrive. 

I tend to look at things half full. I understand we may never have this oline

performance year in and year out.  That is why I believe the we need to 

start expecting more from JB.  Whether that happens this season or next

he needs to show he can run an offense like Hoyer. 

I also fear he is going to be injury prone because the scramble is part of his offense rather than being a symptom of it. You dont necessarily need to be a gunslinger but you have to show you have all the tools when needed to be a franchise QB. Whether its JB, Hoyer or CK we are going to show flashes but until we get a statement from Irsay that this guy or that guy is the future

of the colts we are going to continue to have in-fighting.  

3 hours ago, Blindside said:

Hoyer's success shows me we can plug and play any competent QB behind

our line and they will hold their own. We have one the best lines in the NFL

The line is strong. But protecting for Hoyer isn't particularly difficult. He's quick to get the ball out, and he's willing to throw downfield. Maybe too much of a gunslinger for his talent level, but still, defenses can't just stack the box and sell out against the run as if Hoyer can't throw deep. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

The line is strong. But protecting for Hoyer isn't particularly difficult. He's quick to get the ball out, and he's willing to throw downfield. Maybe too much of a gunslinger for his talent level, but still, defenses can't just stack the box and sell out against the run as if Hoyer can't throw deep. 

I was actually surprised how strong Hoyer’s arm was when he threw that pass to Pascal that got the PI call.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

What?!?  You must be the only person besides his wife...  :lol:

Its not because I didn't think he was great, but it affected how the team was structured.  I thought his flaws would always linger, and he would always fall short of being the QB that could overcome a mediocre roster. 

He needed a better team around him in order to succeed than what I think most people thought.

With a less than elite QB like JB, I think more attention will be placed on the rest of the roster.  And, we will have the capital to do so.  So its possible we could go even farther with less of a QB than Luck than if we had Luck and what team we would have had with him.  If you follow.

On 11/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, BigQungus said:

With all due respect, Gore and Bradshaw never produced anywhere near where Mack has been with the Colts at least. 

And no, our defense is not as bad as the 3-4 defense.

Honestly, if our defense has been just as bad as in our mediocre Luck years, our running game has been just as anemic, the pass catching has presumably been just as bad, and the QB play has regressed since Luck's retirement, how are we 5-3? If you truly believe that, the only thing that has improved since those years is our O line play

I'm merely looking at the big picture, not really a player by player comparison. 

Yes, Mack can do more than the other two, but in the offense we had, they did what they were asked to do pretty consistently.  Mack does his thing pretty consistently.  Outside of that one long run, he doesn't make a lot of big plays, and neither did the other guys.  That's what I see.

Same with the defense.  I don't see this defense making a lot of critical stops.  In fact, when the opposing O needs a play, they seem to be able to make it.  I don't see this team having a lot of sacks or field-switching turnovers to give our offense a short field.  Just like I didn't see much of that stuff with the old 34 defense either.

So just like in the old regime, the QB has to carry the offense for about 80 yards.  Luck was better at it than JB for sure, but a QB is supposed to have more help than that.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, lollygagger8 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/11/7/20950681/brian-hoyer-jacoby-brissett-and-the-art-of-throwing-receivers-open#518763337

I agree it's a small sample size, but Jacoby also didn't play that much in the Steelers game. 

I wrote this comment in the comment section because I believe it's true (as much as I hate giving props to Tom): 

Jacoby learned how to escape the pocket from Luck
He learned how command a huddle from Brady
Now he needs to learn anticipation from Hoyer

In this "we need everything right now" society, I think we all forget that Brissett really hasn’t played that much. He’ll get better.

Anyways, on with the story: 

In Brett Mock’s most recent Quick Reaction article, he ruffled some feathers when he wrote:

One final thought, if those who have been confused about the quarterback debate heading into this game don’t now understand the reason for the debate, I don’t really have much I can say.

Then he proceeded to say a lot.

His point wasn’t whether one QB is better than the other, but rather that they both have different strengths and weaknesses that makes it difficult to say which one would perform better on the current team.

It now comes down to the question of — would the ultra conservative, slow to get through progressions, mistake avoiding Brissett give the Colts a better chance than the more aggressive, more productive Hoyer.

Who knows? But the debate about whether Brissett is the long-term answer shouldn’t be difficult to understand at this point.

I’m not sure why there was so much blow-back to those fairly innocuous statements, but one specific point he made resonated with me:

Brian Hoyer showed . . . the ability to throw players open before they break on routes.

This has been my main knock on Jacoby Brissett. He tends to only throw to receivers that are already open, resulting in short throws. He seems hesitant to stretch the field.

Open up the link to read on. I included one pic from each QB from the article - you can see the rest here: 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/11/7/20950681/brian-hoyer-jacoby-brissett-and-the-art-of-throwing-receivers-open#518763337

JACOBY BRISSETT (4/5 59 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT)

Notice that on all of Brissett’s passes, the receiver is wiiiiiide open.

Pass 1 - 1st Qtr, 1st & 10 (Shotgun) J.Brissett pass short left to Z.Pascal to PIT 27 for 8 yards (S.Nelson).

No defender within 5 yards and that is the last pass attempt on this drive.

JB1x.png

BRIAN HOYER (3/5 39 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT)

Pass 1 - 2nd Qtr, 3rd & 11 (12:02) (Shotgun) B.Hoyer pass short middle to J.Doyle for 11 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Doyle was just starting his break and about to lose his defender when Hoyer starts his wind-up. I think this is a pass that Brissett eventually throws, just not nearly as early as Hoyer did.

BH1x.png

I'd call this a decent start to understanding quarterback ability to survey the field and make throws. I think a great system schemes guys open and Coach Reich is off the charts good at it as is Sean Payton (as two examples). I see four types of throws designed for completion by degree of difficulty.  I went a head and added a skill set level to each for fun.

1. Open Receivers, we make this completion in the back yard (novice).

2. Timing routes, throw to a spot with anticipation (expert).

3. Throwing a receiver open (master), example maybe a back shoulder fade or a corner route thrown opposite should on an otherwise covered receiver.

4. Through a window (legend), This ball is thrown into a very tight window to a completely covered receiver such that only the offensive player can make the reception but for all intents and purposes the receiver is completely covered and nobody would see this an an opportunity except for the elite passer.  

Brissett will improve right now he does play at the novice level but there are plenty of flashes of him doing 2 and 3 well.  However, he almost never attempts level 4.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:33 AM, bravo4460 said:

Total truth in the articles though. A few people just can’t accept that Jacoby Brissett really isn’t that great of a quarterback. Do I think he is terrible? No. Is he capable of winning games? Yes.

However he is playing like a complete game manager. There have been MANY instances where he is not throwing the ball to receivers that have space. He also doesn’t seem to be going through his reads and taking a lot of sacks. Receivers are struggling because they are not being trusted to make plays. Previous Colts QBs trusted their teammates and threw receivers open.

Brissett still has room to grow obviously but in order to become the man and franchise QB I think he needs to start making the throws we know he can make.

Also minus the one pick 6 Hoyer looked better than Brissett has recently.

just how well did throwing receivers open work against the fins?

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm merely looking at the big picture, not really a player by player comparison. 

Yes, Mack can do more than the other two, but in the offense we had, they did what they were asked to do pretty consistently.  Mack does his thing pretty consistently.  Outside of that one long run, he doesn't make a lot of big plays, and neither did the other guys.  That's what I see.

Same with the defense.  I don't see this defense making a lot of critical stops.  In fact, when the opposing O needs a play, they seem to be able to make it.  I don't see this team having a lot of sacks or field-switching turnovers to give our offense a short field.  Just like I didn't see much of that stuff with the old 34 defense either.

So just like in the old regime, the QB has to carry the offense for about 80 yards.  Luck was better at it than JB for sure, but a QB is supposed to have more help than that.

I truly wonder what you watch. ALL our defense does is get takeaways and red zone stops. And I just don't know what you're talking about with Mack. You said that outside of long runs he doesn't make big plays. But long runs ARE big plays. So you're basically saying that outside of big plays he doesn't make big plays. And the broadcast said that he is like top 5 in runs that get a first down. I mean, you say he does his thing pretty consistently. That seems to contradict the claim that all his yards come from a few long runs.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, lollygagger8 said:

In Brett Mock’s most recent Quick Reaction article, he ruffled some feathers when he wrote:

One final thought, if those who have been confused about the quarterback debate heading into this game don’t now understand the reason for the debate, I don’t really have much I can say.

What was his Quick Reaction after this past game? Is there a follow up to this article?

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What was his Quick Reaction after this past game? Is there a follow up to this article?

Great question! No follow up article, but he was having to defend himself in the comment section on some of the later articles for the issues he brought up. 

I'm not saying Hoyer is better by any means, but he does lead receivers with the ball more than Jacoby does. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Great question! No follow up article, but he was having to defend himself in the comment section on some of the later articles for the issues he brought up. 

I'm not saying Hoyer is better by any means, but he does lead receivers with the ball more than Jacoby does. 

Thanks. I hear what you're saying.

It just seems like many people don't want JB as starter because he does not have that WOW quality that Luck had or even Kelly may bring. JB was steady and was winning. The goal is to win. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I hear what you're saying.

It just seems like many people don't want JB as starter because he does not have that WOW quality that Luck had or even Kelly may bring. JB was steady and was winning. The goal is to win. 

I'm right there with you boss. JB is a quality starter. While we all want him to be even better, I think we all (including me) forget how little football he's really played . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Actually 2 of his interceptions were because he didn't lead the receivers.  Even the would be touchdown turned interception to Ebron was high and kinda behind him. Not out in front. His interception to Pascal was late and behind him.  We haven't seen JB throw one of those since week 2 against the Titans.  Hoyer was also behind to Ebron again on the first play of our final 4 plays. 

He was so scared of throwing another interception afterwards that he avoided the intermediate throws & started throwing deep fades & shots up the seam into double & triple coverage.  Oh yeah & his 3rd interception (actually the 2nd in order) was a horrendous over throw.  So I disagree that Hoyer leads receivers with the ball better.  What he showed in the Dolphins game was the exact opposite of that. 

I just saw you said he lead them "more" not better.  Unfortunately, I still have to disagree because he didn't lead them more that game either.  Except for the overthrown interception & the passes he lead out the back of the endzone when we were trying to win the game. 

• Like 2