Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Odd CAIN Commentary?

csmopar

If anything, he's frustrated, which he should be. He's been bounced around between X and Z all year, has got some bad targets, and has made mistakes when he has got good targets.

He also likely expected to be the "deep guy" with Luck (which is where he excelled at in college), only to become a more possession type target (where he did not excel) with JB. 

Regardless, he needs to step up. Hope things click for him soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sometimes when you read a quote it can come off different then if you see them actually say it. 

Very true. I didn't find this article all that compelling, controversial, or wave making actually. Like you said in an earlier post, I didn't find it odd or peculiar either. Not much else to say. 

I feel bad for Cain & yes, I know rehabbing blows, but I'm with you on this one. I didn't get much out of this update personally. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

He needs help in game to get his confidence up. Quick hitters, tunnel screens. Stuff to get him going. 

He's really good at two things. Catching the deep ball, and catching intermediate crossing tosses (leading him). Those are two throws JB struggles with. Perhaps a short crosser quick hit will help. Not sure how he would be on a screen.

• Like 1

Hopefully they will hit on some of those deep passes eventually. They did try the first few weeks. I think Cain would of had both catches if not for the PI calls. I do think this might take the off season to fix. He should get more time with the ones in the spring and in camp next year. Maybe he can take some time with Jacoby working on that in the off season . One thing I don’t think I have seen is TY and Cain both running deep at the same time. That could be interesting. Maybe I just missed it.

There are times still also it looks like he doesn’t trust his knee. We were warned that sometimes that happens after a injury like that. We are in the second half now and Ballard mentioned this is when we might start seeing him getting back to 100%. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe the first step is catching thr ball and not dropping it. Your not gaining trust when you do finally get a ball and you drop it.

While he absolutely needs to catch that darn ball....... It goes both ways. JB has thrown more bad balls his way than Cain has drops. While a QB needs to trust his WRs, a WR also needs to expect quality throws.

Let's not forget that TY, who only had 4 drops all of last year, already has 3 or 4 drops depending on what stat provider you look at. You don't think that has anything to do with pass quality?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Maybe the problem is with the person throwing him the ball.

Certain QBs have a better chemistry with certain WRs.

Kelly had no problem throwing to Cain and Campbell and Duhlin and Fountain before he got injured.

You do know Kelly was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers in pre-season. So yeah lets give him a trophy for looking good against scrubs lmao .

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

While he absolutely needs to catch that darn ball....... It goes both ways. JB has thrown more bad balls his way than Cain has drops. While a QB needs to trust his WRs, a WR also needs to expect quality throws.

Let's not forget that TY, who only had 4 drops all of last year, already has 3 or 4 drops depending on what stat provider you look at. You don't think that has anything to do with pass quality?

When Jacoby passes it is on target. He has strung together compltion streaks to many different receivers. Maybe TY has played with one QB for bulk of his career and is used to catching a Luck ball.

23 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Maybe, you know.....the damn ball thrown his way?  12 targets is a joke.  But, if you are third read for Brissett, your lucky to ever be seen open.

If you're the third read,   you're probably not going to get a lot of throws.   But,   you should catch those if you want to stay employed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

When Jacoby passes it is on target. He has strung together compltion streaks to many different receivers. Maybe TY has played with one QB for bulk of his career and is used to catching a Luck ball.

On top of forcing it to TY a lot when he's doubled, JB lacks the touch (throws too many heaters) and anticipation (timing and leading the WR). IMO TY has been incredible at adapting already. He's caught some really iffy to bad passes. In one game, the adjustment he made on a horrible back shoulder pass while covered was nothing short of amazing. That was the same game he threw two horrible back shoulder passes to Cain.

• Like 1

Doesn't really sound odd...it's just a boiler plate article about the challenges of a young NFL player...tip-toeing around the idea that maybe Cain isn't quite an NFL level WR. He certainly wouldn't be the first guy like this...the NFL drafts are littered with them...especially in the later rounds. And I think most of us remember Roy Hall...a late-round upside WR who flashed in preseason but wasn't quite there.

I never really got the hype for Cain...and his preseason performance is basically irrelevant at this point. But I hope he can figure it out though...because the more WR talent the better.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Stephen Morris Memorial 

Morris balled out in that 2017 preseason and should have made the roster. There was no  real justification (at least field wise) for keeping Tolzien over him...especially since they knew they were heading into a "rebuilding" year. But there are many things fans don't see beyond the games...so who knows. 

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You do know Kelly was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers in pre-season. So yeah lets give him a trophy for looking good against scrubs lmao .

This is a old, much-used and phony argument.

Performing well against 2nd and 3rd stringers does not preclude one from performing well against 1st stringers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

This is a old, much-used and phony argument.

Performing well against 2nd and 3rd stringers does not preclude one from performing well against 1st stringers.

People ignore that he also had 2nd and 3rd stringers blocking, running, and catching for him.

Not saying he's the 2nd coming, but the argument of competition is weak. He performed better in the same setting as JB did in previous preseasons running with the 2s and 3s. You can only perform in the situation you are in. 

Something I was thinking about with Cain. In college he was able to just out run his opponents. With a lot of WR coming out of college they don’t have a route tree. There is clearly a reason he dropped in the draft. He still needs to learn how to run routes.  I think with his speed if he works hard hard he can get there. He needs a lot of developing.  He can’t just rely on his speed like in college. There is a reason he dropped to the sixth round. Campbell is clearly ahead of him and already could run some routes pretty good. That is the difference in a 2nd rd pick and a 6th rd pick. His injury really hurt him with not being able to work on route running in the off season. Fountain it seems worked all off season and he seemed to be a better route runner then Cain. Fountain might of been able to really help this team.