Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts had 3 things they could have addressed at trade deadline..

Southside Hoosier Fan

1) A Pass Rusher- Could have gotten someone not top shelf but someone for maybe a 4th rounder....did nothing

2) A WR-could have gotten someone for a 2nd to a 5th depending on whom. Would have loved AJ Green for a 3 or 4...did nothing

3) A stud OL to replace Glowinski and move Braden Smith back inside, for a 4th to 5th...did nothing

They did ZERO and it cost them. I get Ballard wants to build through the draft, so do I, but damn,  either fixing 2 or 3 here and we win that game.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 7

I think next year in the draft we address DT and oline. By taking a guard high it gives us someone to replace glow if we need to.  We could even address the OT position for AC replacement or put smith back at guard. I bet we invest some high draft capital in that. If glow goes back to being a backup up we will be pretty deep. We aren’t going to find those pieces in FA or a trade.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

1) A Pass Rusher- Could have gotten someone not top shelf but someone for maybe a 4th rounder....did nothing

2) A WR-could have gotten someone for a 2nd to a 5th depending on whom. Would have loved AJ Green for a 3 or 4...did nothing

3) A stud OL to replace Glowinski and move Braden Smith back inside, for a 4th to 5th...did nothing

They did ZERO and it cost them. I get Ballard wants to build through the draft, so do I, but damn,  either fixing 2 or 3 here and we win that game.

Ok, I would like to see the team move some picks for quality players at some point as well.  I don't see 10 new draftees Maki g the team next year, so maybe time to consolidate some draft assets this spring.  

Question though.  You wanted a stud OL at deadline.  You said replace Glow, who just got a decent contract, and move Smith INSIDE.  So.... You not only wanted a Stud OL at deadline.  You wanted a Stud TACKLE.   Yeah, not happening.  Not even Trent Williams old washed * was really available.  Truth be told, a stud would be what, top ten at his position? 15?  You don't get those guys mid season barring a crazy extenuating circumstances.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

This is not, I repeat NOT Madden on Xbox.  to your points.

Item 1, wasn't available. what trades were made involved a LOT more than 4th round picks.

Item 2, only possible option would have to MAYBE submit a waiver for Josh Gordon, but who would you cut at that point?  AJ Green, Bengals fielded offers of multiple high picks and turned them ALL down. One report was an offer of 2 High 2nds. Quit dreaming.

Item 3.  Self explanatory. No STUD OL is going to get traded for a 4th or a 5th. NOT AT ALL.  Heck Tunsil, who went to the Texans netted multiple picks, including a first round pick, plus a player in return. 

Youre above even dreaming at what you think Ballard should have done. There is no way they were getting ANYONE at the trade deadline that would have instantly improved our roster with 3rd, 4th or 5th round picks. Nuts

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Southside is baaaack!!

As predictable as cold weather in an Indianapolis winter!   He’s back!

Colts suffered a tough loss, the fans are frustrated and Southside us here to try and pour gasoline on a small fire hoping it will blow up.  But props and Mad Love to my fellow Colts fans here, NOBODY took the bait.

I’m late to the party here, but everyone has rejected your viewpoints.  Totally shutdown!    Sorry!   

I’m sure we’ll see you whenever the team loses and fans are angry.   That’s your style.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DT - I do think we should have gone after a DT at some point. Should have in the draft IMO last year.

WR - nah... - people expecting high flying WRs and TEs with a non-vertical QB and a conservative offense are fooling themselves. Most receiver's production is down (including TY/Ebron/Doyle), and it's not hard to figure out why.

OL - it's not something that needed to be address this year unless a true "deal" was there to be had, and there was not. We do need to address OT. We have decent depth at G, but no depth at all at OT, and we have an aging LT.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think next year in the draft we address DT and oline. By taking a guard high it gives us someone to replace glow if we need to.  We could even address the OT position for AC replacement or put smith back at guard. I bet we invest some high draft capital in that. If glow goes back to being a backup up we will be pretty deep. We aren’t going to find those pieces in FA or a trade.

and I don't have a problem with that perspective except that we don't play next year this year.

We had a chance this year to make some noise.  Because we sat still at the deadline that chance got quite a bit smaller.  It's something of a missed opportunity IMHO

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

and I don't have a problem with that perspective except that we don't play next year this year.

We had a chance this year to make some noise.  Because we sat still at the deadline that chance got quite a bit smaller.  It's something of a missed opportunity IMHO

I agree. Not to the extent of the OP though.  But there were a couple pass rushers that were supposedly available, for more than a 4.  I was disappointed he didn’t bite.  

Also, I’m sane enough to know that Ballard has a vision that’s working pretty well.   

I could get this thread more IF some other team made a similar move as described.   If stud OLs were going for 4ths and 5ths, I’d be upset too if Colts didn’t jump all over that.

A better thread would’ve been Colts could have had Minkah for 1st.  That would’ve been nice.  We’d have at least one more win this year and have him locked up for awhile.  Oh well!

I don't necessarily ascribe to everything the OP said.  Personally I wanted an upgrade to the linebacker corps, rather than the DL.  Our LBs are good, but IMHO missing some meat to make a truly good front 7.  Ballard seems to favor athleticism over size and strength, and that can work, but like everything else it's got its weaknesses and it's better to mix it up, pick up a big boy or two.

But we could get away with this group of LBs.  Young guys have stepped up.  We are getting production there as well as at DT, not at an elite level, but at least to the extent of usually not being our worst problem.

We were and still are desperate for good WR depth.  THAt should have been addressed.

The core of what the OP said is fundamentally correct.  Not the specific deals he suggested, which are fantasies.  But  if we could have secured a Danny Amendola or a DeVante Parker or a Demayrius Thomas out there for a reasonable price, then Ballard needs to be called to task for not doing so.  This WAS a year where we WERE in a position to compete.  I don't understand the half measures.  Not one bit.

In fact I really, really don't understand why we didn't go after Thomas in particular when first the Broncos then the Patriots made him available.  At that point Funchess was already hurt and Thomas is basically a better version of Funchess

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We aren't super bowl contenders this year.    Look at the Patriots,  look at the ravens.     No reason to give up 1st or 2nd round picks to make a run this year.   Pretty simple 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I don't necessarily ascribe to everything the OP said.  Personally I wanted an upgrade to the linebacker corps, rather than the DL.  Our LBs are good, but IMHO missing some meat to make a truly good front 7.  Ballard seems to favor athleticism over size and strength, and that can work, but like everything else it's got its weaknesses and it's better to mix it up, pick up a big boy or two.

But we could get away with this group of LBs.  Young guys have stepped up.  We are getting production there as well as at DT, not at an elite level, but at least to the extent of usually not being our worst problem.

We were and still are desperate for good WR depth.  THAt should have been addressed.

The core of what the OP said is fundamentally correct.  Not the specific deals he suggested, which are fantasies.  But  if we could have secured a Danny Amendola or a DeVante Parker or a Demayrius Thomas out there for a reasonable price, then Ballard needs to be called to task for not doing so.  This WAS a year where we WERE in a position to compete.  I don't understand the half measures.  Not one bit.

In fact I really, really don't understand why we didn't go after Thomas in particular when first the Broncos then the Patriots made him available.  At that point Funchess was already hurt and Thomas is basically a better version of Funchess

Thomas is old.   No reason to sign him.    We have 11 rookies playing right now.   It's easy to see what the front office is doing.   When luck retired,   they had no intentions of leveraging the future to win this season.    If Andrew were still here,   things might be different

• Like 2

Topic is a little ridiculous. I don’t know what great players are out there for 4th and 5th rounders. Usually you have to pay for quality. Colts probably didn’t want to pay so they passed.

I don’t think Glowinski needs to be upgraded this season. Might as well let him play the season out. He did sign an extension in the offseason. What I think you do is draft a guy like Tyler Biadasz who can play OG or Center (Kelly injury history) and let them compete in camp. I’m not in favor of sliding Smith to guard. He’s been exceptional at RT, why mess with a good thing?

I hardly ever post... I'm not too good at it. I mostly just give reactions to posts I find funny...

But this one still has me... Like, why? Lol

And some people are acting like they might have sipped the kool-aid that tastes of the OPs ludicrous premise...

I really wish I knew how to properly embed videos in a post...

My reply would have included the Billy Madison clip. You know which one.

Team needs to make moves? Sure that's a valid position to take... But please at least make it a half rational (realistic) attempt to justify

IMO it'd be pretty hard to have an actually valid argument for some sort of trade/transaction that which the Colts should have made.

Some of the same people- across threads- that argued AGAINST JB saying that he's middle of the road and a mid round draft pick is BAD, hinting that without Luck the Colts need just pull a Miami and shoot for a low/early round pick, are some of the same people now saying the Colts needed to make moves at the deadline. Their explanation? The Colts needed to make moves to make noise...

What? Lol

IMO the Colts did what they should have done, which is what they have shown themselves to do, and that's manage this team the RIGHT way. This other noise is nonsense. I'd rather hear we need to look at kickers than to hear about x-missed trade opportunity 

I'm sorry for ranting... I'll go stand in the corner 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Thomas is old.   No reason to sign him.   

and then you say

We have 11 rookies playing right now.   

which is a pretty solid reason to bring in veteran talent.

That is, after all, why Brian Hoyer is here, so we know Ballard isn't allergic to the idea.

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

We aren't super bowl contenders this year.  

Not as constructed no.  But we aren't that far from it.  A couple good acquisitions that pan out could have put us in the mix.

I just wish Ballard had at least tried.  Because you never know your luck.

Guys, this team is still very, very young with many just learning their craft. They are also very talented. But the Colts  aren’t winning a SB this year no matter how many miracle trades they make. This team isn’t ready. But they will be soon. Patience. The trades people want to see will happen in the future as the Colts transition toward championship caliber. Until then, enjoy the ride as this young team grows and gels. Ballard knows what he’s doing. 

8 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not as constructed no.  But we aren't that far from it.  A couple good acquisitions that pan out could have put us in the mix.

We were more than a couple acquisitions from being legitimate SB contenders.

Regardless of what the Ballard/Reich were saying publicly they knew we weren't SB contenders without Luck, and Ballard isn't going to spend a bunch of draft assets until he knows what he has at the QB position; I don't think they are nearly as confident in JB being the answer at QB as many posters here seem to be.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

We were more than a couple acquisitions from being legitimate SB contenders.

Regardless of what the Ballard/Reich were saying publicly they knew we weren't SB contenders without Luck, and Ballard isn't going to spend a bunch of draft assets until he knows what he has at the QB position; I don't think they are nearly as confident in JB being the answer at QB as many posters here seem to be.

With good reason. The work product is dramatically less for JB than with Luck.   Time will tell what Brisett’s potential actually can be, but it’s too early for that. Which is why you’re right: hold the draft assets while you assess what you have today.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm sure he tried.     He isn't going to mortgage the future like the Texans have.    They are in big trouble moving forward 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

and then you say

which is a pretty solid reason to bring in veteran talent.

That is, after all, why Brian Hoyer is here, so we know Ballard isn't allergic to the idea.

He didn't trade picks for Hoyer.   Apple's and hammers comparison

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wouldn’t mind one of those big tackles from Georgia!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachSmok3 said:

I hardly ever post... I'm not too good at it. I mostly just give reactions to posts I find funny...

But this one still has me... Like, why? Lol

And some people are acting like they might have sipped the kool-aid that tastes of the OPs ludicrous premise...

I really wish I knew how to properly embed videos in a post...

My reply would have included the Billy Madison clip. You know which one.

Team needs to make moves? Sure that's a valid position to take... But please at least make it a half rational (realistic) attempt to justify

IMO it'd be pretty hard to have an actually valid argument for some sort of trade/transaction that which the Colts should have made.

Some of the same people- across threads- that argued AGAINST JB saying that he's middle of the road and a mid round draft pick is BAD, hinting that without Luck the Colts need just pull a Miami and shoot for a low/early round pick, are some of the same people now saying the Colts needed to make moves at the deadline. Their explanation? The Colts needed to make moves to make noise...

What? Lol

IMO the Colts did what they should have done, which is what they have shown themselves to do, and that's manage this team the RIGHT way. This other noise is nonsense. I'd rather hear we need to look at kickers than to hear about x-missed trade opportunity 

I'm sorry for ranting... I'll go stand in the corner 

Looks like you're pretty darn good at posting.  :^)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm sure he tried.     He isn't going to mortgage the future like the Texans have.    They are in big trouble moving forward 

I have to think there's a middle ground between squandering all your picks in a Steelers style or Texans style desperation move, and sitting on picks like Smaug on his gold, not only doing nothing about the most obvious problem on your roster, but only starting to make any notable effort to do anything literally hours before the end of the deadline.

It's not like we didn't know we might have a problem at WR.  We'd known for weeks.  And Ballard SHOULD have known at the deadline that TY's calf was still sketchy which was all the more reason to invest in the season before it was too late.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He didn't trade picks for Hoyer.   Apple's and hammers comparison

No but he did overpay in money and years.

Again, it made me hope that he might be willing to become a buyer.  But if he's the type to be paralyzed with fear at the prospect of paying a premium for premium talent, or paying any value at all in picks, either one of those aren't good things for the Colts going forward.

Again, we were competitive, and there was probably talent out there that could have been had for a fair price.  Too many teams out of it for me to think no one was selling. 

If Ballard won't compete in a buyer's market, he's probably going to wind up getting close to championships several times.  If that's enough for you, hooray for you.  I want to do more than get close.

Some people need to put madden down and pay attention to what Ballard says.  He loves draft picks and isn’t into going after big names.  I never took any of the stories linking the Colts to players around the trade deadline seriously because of those things.  It’s just not what he does.  

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I agree. Not to the extent of the OP though.  But there were a couple pass rushers that were supposedly available, for more than a 4.  I was disappointed he didn’t bite.  

Also, I’m sane enough to know that Ballard has a vision that’s working pretty well.   

we hope

7 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I have to think there's a middle ground between squandering all your picks in a Steelers style or Texans style desperation move, and sitting on picks like Smaug on his gold, not only doing nothing about the most obvious problem on your roster, but only starting to make any notable effort to do anything literally hours before the end of the deadline.

It's not like we didn't know we might have a problem at WR.  We'd known for weeks.  And Ballard SHOULD have known at the deadline that TY's calf was still sketchy which was all the more reason to invest in the season before it was too late.

Again,   TY hurt his calf after the trade deadline.     

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Again,   TY hurt his calf after the trade deadline.     

He probably didn't.

I'll concede that it became critical enough to keep him off the field after the deadline but we knew that he had bad wheels since week 3 and that he was trying to play through it.  Even if this isn't exactly the injury that he had in week 3, one leg injury often leads to others if you can't stay off it.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some people need to put madden down and pay attention to what Ballard says.  He loves draft picks and isn’t into going after big names.  I never took any of the stories linking the Colts to players around the trade deadline seriously because of those things.  It’s just not what he does.  

That's actually the reason I'm concerned.   I don't care about big names.  But I do care about gathering the talent you need to compete.

'm beginning to be convinced that Ballard seriously overvalues draft picks when compared to the other assets and opportunities a good GM has to juggle.

You can't afford to fall in love with assets when you manage them.  Draft picks are assets, not children.  It wasn't unreasonaable to look at 5-2 and expect the GM to invest a few noncritical assets in trying to beef up problem areas and try to go for a run. 

Even if we're not frontrunners, we had/have a fighting chance.  And that has a value as well.  A GM has to balance assets and opportunities, and passing up opportunities to hoard assets isn't his job unless he's tanking, which we clearly aren't.

Even one playoff win would be monumental for these developing young players.  That's less likely now.  That's an opportunity sacrificed in the name of hoarding draft picks, and I'm honestly not certain it was the right call.

• Like 1