Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tennessee Politicians Getting Involved In Manning Now

P-Money

http://www.foxnews.c...to-join-titans/

This is getting stupid. I really hope he declines this mess of a team. Do politicians have nothing better to do? Are the Titans really that desperate?

I used to work for Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslem... his family are majority owners of the Pilot/Flying J chain of truck stops, and his brother Jimmy is a 15% owner of the Steelers.

Nice family and they are Tennessee football crazy and huge donors to the Volunteers program. The old man Jim Haslem played there a long time ago.

Yeah.... it's usually kinda silly when politicians get involved in this stuff but indeed, Bud Adams is pulling out all the stops and the Haslems have legit football connections.

true, he will have a major financial impact where ever he lands

Not really. Having more or better entertainment does not generate any new wealth within a local economy. Unless you think that Peyton Manning increases tourism, it will have a neutral effect on the overall economy. It will have a negative effect on some sector of the local economy, as Peyton Manning jerseys replace something else as a destination for disposable income.

Not really. Having more or better entertainment does not generate any new wealth within a local economy. Unless you think that Peyton Manning increases tourism, it will have a neutral effect on the overall economy. It will have a negative effect on some sector of the local economy, as Peyton Manning jerseys replace something else as a destination for disposable income.

Really....More National TV games?

Higher sponsor rights fees for anything Bronco

More national media.. more playoff games

New always trumps old because you can charge more.. That's why NBA players change numbers...

Manning will have an impact..

Really....More National TV games? Higher sponsor rights fees for anything Bronco More national media.. more playoff games New always trumps old because you can charge more.. That's why NBA players change numbers... Manning will have an impact..

Manning or any pro athlete does not generate any wealth. More playoff games mean more revenue for the Titans, but not more money in Tennessee. Whatever people spend on football they have less to spend on everything else. Entertainment is different from manufacturing or agriculture. Those occupations create wealth. The NFL does not. It redistributes wealth created by other activities.

Manning or any pro athlete does not generate any wealth. More playoff games mean more revenue for the Titans, but not more money in Tennessee. Whatever people spend on football they have less to spend on everything else. Entertainment is different from manufacturing or agriculture. Those occupations create wealth. The NFL does not. It redistributes wealth created by other activities.

But the NFL has a choice of where it distributes its wealth.

How many national TV games (not on Sunday) are in Seattle

I would suggest that Thursday and Monday night games boost the local economy more than Sundays do

Home playoff games are big for the economy...and you dont get them unless you win.

Manning meant home playoff games almost every year in Indy..

More national TV games means more national media visit

Increased interest means higher rates for all forms of electronic and print media.

Plus you can fill all the seats and up prices to sit, eat. stay overnight and park on a winning team

moreso than a losing team

I think the city officials in Denver might disgaree with you..

Most of the things you list come out of the local economy. Sure, a few network people will stay in local hotels and eat in restaurants. But almost all the spend is local. Home playoff games are good for certain business, bad for others.

Personally, I think he's going to Tennessee.

how does the governor have Peyton's cell number? are they bffs?

Haslem's family has donated in the 8-figure range to the University of Tennessee.... that would probably get you in touch with Peyton. But I'm guessing they were well acquainted from his UT days anyway.

Let the politicians do what they want. Football raises city morale and the politicians want that. It's not the main reason they want Peyton, because odds are they're fans too, so I think they want Peyton as fans, not as politicians.

As I said in another thread, what has Peyton done for Indy? Think about it...seriously without malice, but honestly. Where would Indy be without the last decade of wins with Peyton? The Superbowl, hosting the Superbowl, LOS for that matter. The local jobs, the economy, the morale.

Folks can make jokes of the TN legislation all you want, but perhaps they see the potential of all of this and would like it for the people in TN as well. Those looking at the big picture are not underestimating the impact.