Indianapolis Colts
WarGhost21

The Big Issue We Still Have on Defense

The defense has been much improved this year. While we have had some rookies struggle at times, Eberflus has pulled this squad together to make a quick and dynamic young core. However, there is still one issue that has been present for years now, and it was especially prominent vs the Steelers: We struggle to stop pass catching backs. While we did shut down Jaylen Samuels and, aside from one big play, Trey Edmunds on the ground, Samuels caught 13 of 13 targets for 73 yards. This wasn't the first time this happened on the year, as Austin Ekeler carved us up in week one as well. We need a much better coverage linebacker to help negate these types of players, because as much as we love Leonard, and Okereke has been doing well, we need help. What better to solve this issue than to start looking forward to the draft to find a young star who could fill that role. Here are a few names that could be there for our first round pick:

Isaiah Simmons, ILB/OLB, Clemson:

Simmons has one of the best motors I've ever seen at the position. In watching game tape, I was hard pressed to find a single play in which he didn't finish the play within 5 yards of the ball. He's everywhere on the field, and is a great tackler and blitzer. Where he really shines is in coverage, where his elite speed for the position allows him to run sideline to sideline in what seems like a split second. He is currently projected by most sources as a prospect for the end of round 1, which is where we should fall at our current pace.

Kenneth Murray, ILB/OLB, Oklahoma:

Murray is one of my favorite prospects in the class, and is currently projected late 1st to early 2nd, meaning we could even get him potentially with the Jets pick early in the second. Murray is a classic thumper, always looking to lay the wood on a runner. However, unlike those that we have had int he past, Murray is also extremely fast and a great coverage backer. He has been described by scouts as looking like a young Thomas Davis, who should be a future HOFer. Why not go for that type of player??

Grant Delpit, SS/FS/OLB, LSU:

I know, I know, Delpit is a safety. He also should be gone by our first rounder at where we are currently projected. But Delpit is the next player in the mold of Ed Reed, with size to play in the box. Delpit would slide in next to Hooker to create the best coverage duo at safety in the league, while also being able to slide down into the box on any given play. If he does last to our pick, wherever that should be, he should unquestionably be the selection. 

So what do you guys think? Any other names you think could help?

It's not the players... it's waiting 3 quarters to finally keep a LB up near the LOS and have them watch the RB out of the backfield. I would throw that pass everytime too when the back 7 is 20 yards down field. It shouldn't have taken 3 quarters to make that adjustment. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It's not the players... it's waiting 3 quarters to finally keep a LB up near the LOS and have them watch the RB out of the backfield. I would throw that pass everytime too when the back 7 is 20 yards down field. It shouldn't have taken 3 quarters to make that adjustment. 

I think the talent is on the roster already. Like you mentioned the scheme never changed until way too late. Its very rare for a LB playing off the LOS to catch up with any great catching RB. 

Idk if the talent is the issue. It’s just bad game planning. We have a speedy and rangy LB core. Should have kept a SAM LB in to spy the RB.

Come on people...   if Matt Eberflus is reading this thread,  do you really think he’s having a V-8 moment?   Do you think he’s slapping his forehead and exclaiming “cover the running back with a linebacker or a strong safety?!?  Wow, it never occurred to me!”

We just drafted Benagu, Okereke and Speed in one draft.   They’ll get better.  We have other pressing needs that will likely be addressed.   I don’t think another high pick on yet another linebacker this soon is happening. 

Benagu may be a DL in our future.  Or maybe we spend the off-season trying to see if there will be situations where he can play LB.

Either way, in the last three drafts we’ve selected Walker,  Leonard,  Adams, Franklin,  Okereke and Speed. 
And that’s not counting Benagu.  

The solutions need to be with our players and coaches.   From where I sit part of the problem is lack of a pass rush.  Which is why I see us going DT and DE with our first two picks next year.  

• Like 2

To clarify my point, sure, we have a ton of lanky, athletic talent at the position. But looking at all of them coming into the league, not a single one of them graded in my rankings as a plus coverage backer. They have the speed and length to mask it, and I hope the playcalling does get better because, sure, that’s a big factor, but getting someone who grades as a good to great coverage guy to take away running backs and inside TEs would really go a long way, and also allow our pass rush to actually hit. Our young talent is actually doing pretty well, which is why teams have to settle for dump offs to the RBs, but if we can take away that option, then we will connect for sacks a whole lot more often. Just my 2 cents at least. 

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

To clarify my point, sure, we have a ton of lanky, athletic talent at the position. But looking at all of them coming into the league, not a single one of them graded in my rankings as a plus coverage backer. They have the speed and length to mask it, and I hope the playcalling does get better because, sure, that’s a big factor, but getting someone who grades as a good to great coverage guy to take away running backs and inside TEs would really go a long way, and also allow our pass rush to actually hit. Our young talent is actually doing pretty well, which is why teams have to settle for dump offs to the RBs, but if we can take away that option, then we will connect for sacks a whole lot more often. Just my 2 cents at least. 

Leonard isn’t a plus coverage backer?

Okereke isn’t a plus coverage linebacker?  

I think this is going to come as news to Ballard. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Leonard isn’t a plus coverage backer?

Okereke isn’t a plus coverage linebacker?  

I think this is going to come as news to Ballard. 

Coming out of college, I had both graded out as average. They were both better against the run and had the speed to cover but not as much of the finer points. Of course, that’s just my takeaway. All scouts have different takes on players

16 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Coming out of college, I had both graded out as average. They were both better against the run and had the speed to cover but not as much of the finer points. Of course, that’s just my takeaway. All scouts have different takes on players

Ok..   but I thought Ballard  had spoken highly of their coverage skills.   But I could be wrong about that.  

I think a bigger piece missing is DT

I believe that Okereke and Leonard bring enough to the table to be coverage LBs

Walker doesnt seem to be as strong in that area, but hopefully can improve. He has the speed

A large group of fans, and analysts felt we were still weak at DT 

- They were right

I hope that we invest early draft capitol this year with some additional interior DL talent

With some health, development of players like Tell (I think we found one of our future CBs) and a new body or two on the DL, and Leonard coming back to the level of last year....... this could be a dominating defense

Picks 1-3 

Best

2 DL

1 OT

Another "HOLE" on this team is RG

Glowinski is passable, but an upgrade at that spot is needed

The other upcoming "hole" is at LT. AC is getting one more contract.

If he gets hurt, we are in major trouble with zero LT depth

I would take the best Tackle with our first round (or 2nd) and plug them in at RT. Braden would move back to his natural guard spot.

We are slowing down on our running game because everyone is stacking the box. We need some extra umph up front...... to Still run the ball.