Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 9 impressions: Hoyer

Imgrandojji

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My biggest fear is getting stuck in the average zone. I'm not quite to the point on giving up though. I wanted to see how he plays during the last 7 games.

After Miami, we have a critical 3 game stretch vs division foes which includes 2 must win home games vs TN and the Jags, plus a road game in Houston, whom we desperately need a tie breaker over. 

Then we have a three game stretch vs the NFCS vs two mediocre to decent teams and one good/great one. Then a division road game which will likely have huge playoff implications in the AFCS (assuming we do decent and at least go 2-3 in the first 3 game stretch).

If we sheet the bed and don't make the playoffs, I'll be done. If we squeak into the playoffs and get smacked around in the first round, I'll likely be done. Honestly I could see almost outcome from missing the playoffs, to making the AFC championship game. Those last 7 games will tell the tale, and firm up my opinion on JB.

if he had maybe shown something each week I might be more on board but really it's the same things week in and week out same struggles and honestly seeing a career backup like Hoyer come in and play better didnt help my outlook on JB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

if he had maybe shown something each week I might be more on board but really it's the same things week in and week out same struggles and honestly seeing a career backup like Hoyer come in and play better didnt help my outlook on JB.

I was really optimistic after Houston, but that was a bit dashed after Denver. I was giving him the first 8 games to make mistakes and not look the best. We've seen mixed results thus far. The final 7 is the key for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I was really optimistic after Houston, but that was a bit dashed after Denver. I was giving him the first 8 games to make mistakes and not look the best. We've seen mixed results thus far. The final 7 is the key for me.

sadly tho even if he is bad the chances of getting a QB in the draft are probably gone cause of our record we would have to bomb the rest of the year to be anywhere close

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't give JB this whole season to prove himself. It is his first year starting under this system and really the first time he's looked upon as the man. Counting 2017 is MEH with Pagano coaching, horrible O.Line, and no running game. Andrew was having his fair share of troubles in 2016 as we went 8-8 because the team as a whole wasn't good. Being critical of JB after every game is just a waste of time IMO. Waiting until after the season is fair.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

sadly tho even if he is bad the chances of getting a QB in the draft are probably gone cause of our record we would have to bomb the rest of the year to be anywhere close

Not necessarily. We're 5-3 now, should be 6-3 after next week. The final 7 games will all be challenges in their own right. In the last 7 games I see 3 losses, 2 pick'ems, and 2 wins. IMO, we could end up anywhere between 8-8 and 10-6. If we're 8-8, we're easily in striking distance for a guy like Herbert without mortgaging future 1st rounders. I don't see Ballard using future 1st rounders, but I could see him packaging 2nds to move up. Heck, even CBS's latest mock has the Colts taking Herbert without moving up at 22.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-justin-herbert-slides-but-lands-in-perfect-spot-dolphins-win-to-cost-them-qb/

Jags - Must win home game. Jags have 2 weeks to prepare. Foles coming back party. Fournette will be a challenge for us. Solid D. Anyone who thinks the Jags are trash haven't looked very closely at them. Has the feel of the Raiders game. Prediction - Pick'em (especially if TY is out)

at Houston - Really need this win for a tie breaker. We won a close one at home. Good run D, bad pass D. Good all around O. Can we throw against them again on the road? Not sure.... Prediction - close loss

Tennessee - Another must win, as it's probably the easiest game we have in the final 7. Nothing would surprise me even if they aren't very good this year. Tannehill has them playing better, and a lot of their losses have been close. Prediction - win

at Bucs - On the road. They've had a lot of close losses. Winston is streaky. Evans and Godwin will be a handful for our LBs and DBs. Best rushing D in the league, so don't expect much from Mack. JB has to win this, and luckily their passing D is bad. Prediction - pick em

at New Orleans - this one could be brutal. Like the Bucs, top 5 in rush D so again, don't expect a lot on the ground. They're OK vs the pass. Good passing game even with Teddy, and much better now that Brees is back. Prediction - loss

Panthers - another home must win. They're riding with Allen now for the rest of the season. McCaffrey will be a handful in both phases. D is good vs the pass, bad vs the run. Prediction - close win

at Jags - see above. Foles now back for 8 games. Prediction - Loss

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't give JB this whole season to prove himself. It is his first year starting under this system and really the first time he's looked upon as the man. Counting 2017 is MEH with Pagano coaching, horrible O.Line, and no running game. Andrew was having his fair share of troubles in 2016 as we went 8-8 because the team as a whole wasn't good. Being critical of JB after every game is just a waste of time IMO. Waiting until after the season is fair.

Everyone has a different "want". And if they are open to JB at all, they all have a different timeline. I can only speak for my own timeline. I can understand the fans that are used to having a high flying passing game, and won't ever accept a QB like JB. I can also understand the folks that don't care, and prefer to run the damn ball, and win with D. Two different camps, and I understand both.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Everyone has a different "want". And if they are open to JB at all, they all have a different timeline. I can only speak for my own timeline. I can understand the fans that are used to having a high flying passing game, and won't ever accept a QB like JB. I can also understand the folks that don't care, and prefer to run the damn ball, and win with D. Two different camps, and I understand both.

I am in the camp of just winning to be honest.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am in the camp of just winning to be honest.

I'm in between. I don't need to be high flying, but I don't want game manager either. I do think you need a QB in the top 1/3ish of the league to have more than "planets align" chance most years. Right now JB is clearly in the middle or lower of the 2nd third in most stats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not necessarily. We're 5-3 now, should be 6-3 after next week. The final 7 games will all be challenges in their own right. In the last 7 games I see 3 losses, 2 pick'ems, and 2 wins. IMO, we could end up anywhere between 8-8 and 10-6. If we're 8-8, we're easily in striking distance for a guy like Herbert without mortgaging future 1st rounders. I don't see Ballard using future 1st rounders, but I could see him packaging 2nds to move up. Heck, even CBS's latest mock has the Colts taking Herbert without moving up at 22.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-justin-herbert-slides-but-lands-in-perfect-spot-dolphins-win-to-cost-them-qb/

Jags - Must win home game. Jags have 2 weeks to prepare. Foles coming back party. Fournette will be a challenge for us. Solid D. Anyone who thinks the Jags are trash haven't looked very closely at them. Has the feel of the Raiders game. Prediction - Pick'em (especially if TY is out)

at Houston - Really need this win for a tie breaker. We won a close one at home. Good run D, bad pass D. Good all around O. Can we throw against them again on the road? Not sure.... Prediction - close loss

Tennessee - Another must win, as it's probably the easiest game we have in the final 7. Nothing would surprise me even if they aren't very good this year. Tannehill has them playing better, and a lot of their losses have been close. Prediction - win

at Bucs - On the road. They've had a lot of close losses. Winston is streaky. Evans and Godwin will be a handful for our LBs and DBs. Best rushing D in the league, so don't expect much from Mack. JB has to win this, and luckily their passing D is bad. Prediction - pick em

at New Orleans - this one could be brutal. Like the Bucs, top 5 in rush D so again, don't expect a lot on the ground. They're OK vs the pass. Good passing game even with Teddy, and much better now that Brees is back. Prediction - loss

Panthers - another home must win. They're riding with Allen now for the rest of the season. McCaffrey will be a handful in both phases. D is good vs the pass, bad vs the run. Prediction - close win

at Jags - see above. Foles now back for 8 games. Prediction - Loss

not a big Herbert fan but I guess we will see 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think if we want a QB we would need to move up ... I can see 3 teams ahead of us that could easily decide to go QB that CBS has taking another position (Broncos, Titans, & TB).

Assuming we do beat Miami to get to 6-3, I have us going 11-5 if JB is 100% after the Miami game.

Jags = W (7-3)

at Houston = L (7-4)

Tennessee = W (8-4)

At Bucs = W (9-4)

at Saints = L (9-5)

Panthers = W (10-5)

at Jags = W (11-5), reason why I have this a W is because the Jags will have nothing play for IMO, they will be out of it and probably will rest most of their starters. We will need this win to win the division.

If we finish 11-5 we aren't drafting a QB, I don't think at 10-6 we will either, JMO. Why would we? If we finish 8-8 or worse then we will. 

I would think drafting a DLineman or 2 and some more pass rushers would be top priority. I am really not high on any of these QB's coming out this year. 

I guess if someone wants us to get a QB in the draft after this season than root for us to lose so maybe they get their guy, not much else to say.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, esmort said:

I think if we want a QB we would need to move up ... I can see 3 teams ahead of us that could easily decide to go QB that CBS has taking another position (Broncos, Titans, & TB).

TB is at 8, and I could see them going QB. But... Winston is still top 10 in yards, and they need a lot of other stuff badly too, and the OL is pretty bad. 

Broncos at 9... I just don't see Elway going big on QB given his track record. Keep in mind they took Drew Lock (who is on IR) in the 2nd round just last draft. 

Titans - they need a lot of help too, and can see them rolling with Tannehill for another year or so. They are playing better with him. They've got a tough schedule ahead of them, so I could see the FO going either way.

A few wildcards.

Eli Manning might get picked up by someone. I could see Denver trying this to bring Lock along.

Will Jax trade Minshew, or even Foles at the end of the year?

Flacco, Dalton, Bridgewater, Newton/Allen, 

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Assuming we do beat Miami to get to 6-3, I have us going 11-5 if JB is 100% after the Miami game.

Jags = W (7-3)

at Houston = L (7-4)

Tennessee = W (8-4)

At Bucs = W (9-4)

at Saints = L (9-5)

Panthers = W (10-5)

at Jags = W (11-5), reason why I have this a W is because the Jags will have nothing play for IMO, they will be out of it and probably will rest most of their starters. We will need this win to win the division.

If we finish 11-5 we aren't drafting a QB, I don't think at 10-6 we will either, JMO. Why would we? If we finish 8-8 or worse then we will. 

I would think drafting a DLineman or 2 and some more pass rushers would be top priority. I am really not high on any of these QB's coming out this year. 

I guess if someone wants us to get a QB in the draft after this season than root for us to lose so maybe they get their guy, not much else to say.

You think the Jags will have nothing to play for? Besides the two games vs the Colts, their schedule is pretty easy. Hardest game is at the Raiders. They should have 8 or 9 wins when we play them at the end of the season. They have a much easier schedule than Houston, and could be playing for a WC, or even the division if they can beat us in two weeks. The could certainly sheet the bed, but I'm sure Vegas has them as favs for at least 4 of those games (giving them 8 wins).

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You think the Jags will have nothing to play for? Besides the two games vs the Colts, their schedule is pretty easy. Hardest game is at the Raiders. They should have 8 or 9 wins when we play them at the end of the season. They have a much easier schedule than Houston, and could be playing for a WC, or even the division if they can beat us in two weeks. The could certainly sheet the bed, but I'm sure Vegas has them as favs for at least 4 of those games (giving them 8 wins).

With Houston’s schedule I won’t be shocked if the jags actually finish ahead of Houston. Houston has  a tough schedule coming up. The jags aren’t sitting starters even if they are out of it. I hope we already have a playoff berth already before that jags game. I would not want to go into that game needing to win to make the playoffs. I do think the jags lost a WR which will hurt. But getting Foles back will help them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Houston’s schedule I won’t be shocked if the jags actually finish ahead of Houston. Houston has  a tough schedule coming up. The jags aren’t sitting starters even if they are out of it. I hope we already have a playoff berth already before that jags game. I would not want to go into that game needing to win to male the playoffs.

Yup, that's why I keep harping on how important the 3 game stretch is coming up after Miami.

Indy, Houston, and Jax could all be fighting for both the division and a WC. 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It is a possibility if we beat them in 2 weeks to your first sentence. In order for them to even get to 10-6, they will have to go 6-1 the rest of the way. I am just saying it is possible by week 17 they may be out, if they aren't then it is a different story.

That’s why we have to beat them in two weeks. We need to bury the jags. We need need to make this a two team race  with Houston.  These three division games will go a long way in winning the divisions. We need to win at least 2 of 3. Both the home games and hopefully we can go down to Houston. Getting Funch back for the jags game will be big. If we are lucky even TY will be back for the jags game.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is a possibility if we beat them in 2 weeks to your first sentence. In order for them to even get to 10-6, they will have to go 6-1 the rest of the way. I am just saying it is possible by week 17 they may be out, if they aren't then it is a different story.

Why would starters sit even if they are out of the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think you are assuming the best for us, and the worst for them. Our schedule is harder than theirs (so is Houston's). If Foles is truly better than Minshew, they could be pretty good. Minshew has even looked very good at times. They've also been on the other side of some close losses, while we've been on the other side with close wins.

Looking at health, schedule, and performance, all three teams could be neck and neck.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well it shouldn’t be hard to figure that out dude.

1.  This is an Internet forum for the Colts.

2.  We are Colts fans.

3.  Jacoby Brissett is the Colts QB.

thats why we talk about him him every week.  If people don’t want to talk about player performance then why in the name of all that is Holy would they communicate on an Internet forum?

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why would starters sit even if they are out of the playoffs.

Why would you play Nick Foles or your best defensive players in a meaningless game? That is the better question. If they are out of the playoffs why risk an injury to anyone you have good. That makes no sense especially how injury prone Foles is.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Well it shouldn’t be hard to figure that out dude.

1.  This is an Internet forum for the Colts.

2.  We are Colts fans.

3.  Jacoby Brissett is the Colts QB.

thats why we talk about him him every week.  If people don’t want to talk about player performance then why in the name of all that is Holy would they communicate on an Internet forum?

Have at it if that is what you want to do but praise him when he plays well too. It goes both ways. You think he sucks so in your eyes you keep waiting for him to screw up just to post lmao .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why would you play Nick Foles or your best defensive players in a meaningless game? That is the better question. If they are out of the playoffs why risk an injury to anyone you have good. That makes no sense especially how injury prone Foles is.

Why would they care about injury if it’s the last game of the season. I dont think I have ever seen a team sit players the last game when they are out of the playoffs.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jags = W (7-3)

at Houston = L (7-4)

Tennessee = W (8-4)

At Bucs = W (9-4)

at Saints = L (9-5)

Panthers = W (10-5)

Why would a team out of the playoffs rest their starters...especially in the home final? If anything, JAC would get up for that game to play spoilers.

It's hard for me to envision sweeping both TEN and JAC...but not impossible. I also think the end of that schedule with those three against the NFCS is tough scheduling...the NFC is very strong this year. 

The 2nd AFC WC is going to be a battle for several teams this year...that much seems apparent.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because they are paying them to play...and you have fans that paid to see them play. Plus, the players don't want to sit on the bench...many of them have incentive clauses in their contracts...not to mention some are playing for a new contract.

Just a quick glance at last season shows that a 5-11 JAC team played all of their starters in a meaningless Week 17 game.

This premise of yours is flawed. Sure...injured players aren't going to push it in that scenario...but healthy players will play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Because they are paying them to play...and you have fans that paid to see them play. Plus, the players don't want to sit on the bench...many of them have incentive clauses in their contracts...not to mention some are playing for a new contract.

Just a quick glance at last season shows that a 5-11 JAC team played all of their starters in a meaningless Week 17 game.

This premise of yours is flawed. Sure...injured players aren't going to push it in that scenario...but healthy players will play.

I have seen numerous times where teams do not play their key players in the last game of the season when they are out of playoff contention. Nothing is flawed that I have said. I can go back to the 1980 season up to now and list 100 times where it has happen. Maybe the Jags will play their starters if they are out of it, who knows? If I was the HC, I wouldn't play Foles at that point, the guy is made of glass. Hey if they want to risk it, then I could care less. My point is correct though and if you really want me to list everytime a team didn't play their starters in a meaningless last game I can do so lmao. Then again I don't feel like it to be honest haha .

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have seen numerous times where teams do not play their key players in the last game of the season when they are out of playoff contention. Nothing is flawed. I can go back to the 1980 up to now and list 100 times where has happen. Maybe the Jags will play their starters if they are out of it, who knows. If I was the HC, I wouldn't play Foles at that point, the guy is made of glass, Hey if they want to risk it, then I could care less.

1980 is a very long time ago. But it seems like back then it would be less likely to be a common practice.

Just so we're clear...the premise is that teams...that are out of playoff contention...are resting good healthy players in the final week of the season (not injured or banged up players). Given that premise...I would actually take that bet that you can't find 100 times where it has happened going back to 1980.

That's 38 seasons of final week games. Let's say on average...there are 16 teams out of the playoff hunt in the final week. So that's 608 times the scenario is present. You are saying it has happened at least 100x...or an average of 2.6 teams each year. So every season...2-3 teams out of it are resting healthy good players. I just don't see it. Even ARI...who was playing for the #1 pick last year didn't rest their healthy good players.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because the players have incentives in their contracts and sitting out when healthy may cost them millions of dollars.

There's 1 reason. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:15 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because players and coaches get fired if you lose too many games.  The more games you can win, even the “meaningless” ones help you keep your job.  Also, players want to play.

On 11/5/2019 at 4:06 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hoyer didn't actually play better.  Going into the injury brissett was on pace for about 250 yards and had the team in the red zone.  Hoyer's first pass finished off a drive that Brissett put on a tee for him.

That and... well, I don't honestly think Brissett makes the mistake that Hoyer made that Minkah picked off and ran all the way back.

Hoyer looked good in some quick pass plays that Brissett doesn't make, but that pick 6 was a killer and the Steelers' D isn't anywhere near as good as the Broncos D that shut Brissett down last week.

Hoyer played decently and looked like a capable backup.  Summing that game up as "Hoyer outplayed Brissett" is ESPN level garbage.  We ought to be able to do better than that.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

What the......?!? 

Holy Cow.....    

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Hoyer didn't actually play better.  Going into the injury brissett was on pace for about 250 yards and had the team in the red zone.  Hoyer's first pass finished off a drive that Brissett put on a tee for him.

That and... well, I don't honestly think Brissett makes the mistake that Hoyer made that Minkah picked off and ran all the way back.

Hoyer looked good in some quick pass plays that Brissett doesn't make, but that pick 6 was a killer and the Steelers' D isn't anywhere near as good as the Broncos D that shut Brissett down last week.

Hoyer played decently and looked like a capable backup.  Summing that game up as "Hoyer outplayed Brissett" is ESPN level garbage.  We ought to be able to do better than that.

The INT was definitely a kick in the boys, but aside from that I'd say Hoyer looked pretty good to very good

His passer rating was pretty good, and his QBR was the same as JBs (even with the INT). His time to throw was great, his AGGN% was good, CAY (air yards) better than average, completion % was good.

In short, it was impressive given it's his first opportunity for PT, and lack of 1st team reps. All the more impressive he did it without his starting center and WR1. Take away that INT, and it would have been terrific day.

Unfortunately we can't take away the int anymore than we can take away the L.   

Hoyer did play well though.  I'm honestly more comfortable with him as QB2 now than I was before he played, bearing in mind that it had been years since he got any serious playing time and he still stood in there and mostly did his job.  

I still think Brissett doesn't throw that pick though.

We win that game rather easily if JB doesn’t get hurt because that INT doesn’t happen. You can’t take away the INT because that is what cost us the game.

To say JB hasn’t improved is silly. Your going to play different kinds of teams each week. You go from the Texans where he outplayed Watson to a top 5 defense in the broncos. Games are going to be different.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, Myles said:

No he is not.   He is just not a great starter.   Most back ups are not great starters.   He's a good back up QB though.  I'd take him over a few starters for other teams (Darnold, Dalton, Trubisky, Mariota and maybe Winston and Mayfield).

This post has aged terribly