Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hilton didn't practice today

CR91

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Ballard needs to keep looking for T.Y.’s heir because right now there doesn’t appear to be one on this team. 

We will see what happens with the two young guys we have. With both of them not having much production I am going to guess they will be re-signing funchess. If they had produced big while he was out I think there might be a chance they don’t bring DF back. But if he comes back and plays well you almost have to since those two have not produced yet.

37 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

2 seasons in a row and he is coming up after the season for a new deal iirc. How much money do you sink in a 30 y/o small, speed wr if we are already resting him for games? It’s clear his production isn’t what it used to be, whether that is a product of the system, JB or TY not being able to do what he once did. What kind of money is he gonna ask for in a new contract? I’m concerned his rate of decline is gonna plummet soon and are we gonna be saddled with a broken down TY And a big salary cap hit?

He is a colt through and through. He is a guy. You let retire as a colt.   TY is a vet. He doesn’t need practice. I don’t even think he needs it with Jacoby. He has played plenty with. If he comes and balls out on game day you give him off days. It will extend his career. His calf is probably minor.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We will see what happens with the two young guys we have. With both of them not having much production I am going to guess they will be re-signing funchess. If they had produced big while he was out I think there might be a chance they don’t bring DF back. But if he comes back and plays well you almost have to since those two have not produced yet.

What two young guys? I’m guessing you mean Campbell but who else are you referring to?

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

2 seasons in a row and he is coming up after the season for a new deal iirc. How much money do you sink in a 30 y/o small, speed wr if we are already resting him for games? It’s clear his production isn’t what it used to be, whether that is a product of the system, JB or TY not being able to do what he once did. What kind of money is he gonna ask for in a new contract? I’m concerned his rate of decline is gonna plummet soon and are we gonna be saddled with a broken down TY And a big salary cap hit?

You know, I really don’t have an answer to that but I completely see and agree with your sentiments. However, I think we need to just wait and see what happens the rest of the way and go from there. We’ve got another 18 months before his contract is up. Plus the way Ballard has been structuring the deals, it’ll be a easy least expensive cut should it ever come to that.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

TY is still under contract next year (2020) as well making 14,000,000 mill a year. He isn't going anywhere for a while and he is one guy I can say that loves it here.

Loving it here is one thing for sure and I have enjoyed every bit of this tiny warrior fighting bigger cb’s for yards over his career. My point is, if we can’t get full seasons out of him now at this age, after his contract is up after the following year (thanks for correcting me), what are we going to do? If you sign him to a 3 year deal and he breaks down even further, we know what happens when speed guys lose their speed advantage, it’s ugly. At some point, may have to accept the fact that we have to move on unless the player is willing to go year to year contracts but you can’t pay him top 5 because he isn’t playing up to the top 5 receiver anymore. Again, who is at fault is for the coaching to figure out but are you willing to pay a guy near $20 million a year for 900 yards and 6 td’s? Are you willing to pay 12 million or 6 million, what’s that number for a guy declining and breaking down? Idk 

6 hours ago, IinD said:

He's gonna be 30 in a month. Kudos to Frank. TY is one of those guys like Reggie/Marvin, he doesn't need practice. Let the vet rest for the stretch run.

Reggie and Harrison had Manning and Reggie had Luck throwing him the ball. JB is neither of those two in caliber. JB needs the reps more than TY does or Reggie and Marvin. If we have to coddle his practice time to “rest” him then he better well produce big time in every game he has had to rest for and I’d sure take that into account as a GM when it comes time for a new contract. We are building a culture of daycare time in Indy if you ask me. Maybe I’m too old school for this new way of handling players.  Idk

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is a colt through and through. He is a guy. You let retire as a colt.   TY is a vet. He doesn’t need practice. I don’t even think he needs it with Jacoby. He has played plenty with. If he comes and balls out on game day you give him off days. It will extend his career. His calf is probably minor.

My above comment applies here as well. Can’t set up a team with nostalgic premises, must be practical and cut appropriately when you see these issues come up, not resign known flaws that is bound to only worsen. If Manning wasn’t a signal that everyone could be cut I’m not sure we can see signals well. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

You know, I really don’t have an answer to that but I completely see and agree with your sentiments. However, I think we need to just wait and see what happens the rest of the way and go from there. We’ve got another 18 months before his contract is up. Plus the way Ballard has been structuring the deals, it’ll be a easy least expensive cut should it ever come to that.

I honestly hope it’s a simple hammy and not something that lingers again all season near the end and we have to deal with it in a playoff run. It didn’t end as well as we would have with a healthy pass catcher running routes. But you are certainly right, he has 18 months or so to show us he is and can stay healthy. He is a great colt to retire here one day but we can’t make team decisions based on he has to retire as a Colt and be past his prime and into a slide on a new contract, just can’t do it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Loving it here is one thing for sure and I have enjoyed every bit of this tiny warrior fighting bigger cb’s for yards over his career. My point is, if we can’t get full seasons out of him now at this age, after his contract is up after the following year (thanks for correcting me), what are we going to do? If you sign him to a 3 year deal and he breaks down even further, we know what happens when speed guys lose their speed advantage, it’s ugly. At some point, may have to accept the fact that we have to move on unless the player is willing to go year to year contracts but you can’t pay him top 5 because he isn’t playing up to the top 5 receiver anymore. Again, who is at fault is for the coaching to figure out but are you willing to pay a guy near $20 million a year for 900 yards and 6 td’s? Are you willing to pay 12 million or 6 million, what’s that number for a guy declining and breaking down? Idk 

Good points, we will have to see how he is after 2020.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Watch Rock have a pick 6 so in 1 week he will go from being a bum to the best ever in some people's eye's. Nobody had a problem with Rock until last week, I admit he played bad but what if he plays like an all-pro this week? lmao 

Im not saying he is a bum but I don't like our chances with a rookie on juju especially with his tendency to grab. Now a couple of the flags called on him last week were trash.

10 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Ballard needs to keep looking for T.Y.’s heir because right now there doesn’t appear to be one on this team. 

Oh there's definitely no replacement right now unfortunately.

If he were to get hurt there wouldn't even be the threat of a passing game for JB.

8 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Reggie and Harrison had Manning and Reggie had Luck throwing him the ball. JB is neither of those two in caliber. JB needs the reps more than TY does or Reggie and Marvin. If we have to coddle his practice time to “rest” him then he better well produce big time in every game he has had to rest for and I’d sure take that into account as a GM when it comes time for a new contract. We are building a culture of daycare time in Indy if you ask me. Maybe I’m too old school for this new way of handling players.  Idk

Just some random thoughts.

TY isn't even in the top 10 paid so I'm not worried about his contact honestly. He's also our only threat right now so if it takes him missing a practice or two to go on gamedays I feel you've got to live with that.

I also think you've got a little old school thinking going on (I'm over 40 so I get it, I remember the old ways of doing things), these guys are bigger nowadays and get hurt more often. TY is a small guy, we can't afford to wear him down practicing if he's getting banged up during the season.

Thankfully he doesn't seem to miss games though. As for his numbers, I'd bet money if we had a guy who threw it deep more often he'd have more yards. He's still one of the most dangerous guys in the league. Simply have to look at last year.

He hasn't lost it yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I think you're overreacting a bit on the decline talk. He still produces at a high level like last year. However, just like in 2017 his numbers will drop because JB doesn't push the ball downfield. TY failed to reach 1K that year, and the only other time before that was his rookie year. Based on pace, I don't see him reaching it this year either. JB  has to see the guy open and doesn't like to take many risks like AL. TY has never been unreasonable during negotiations and I don't see that happening, the older he gets.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Im not saying he is a bum but I don't like our chances with a rookie on juju especially with his tendency to grab. Now a couple of the flags called on him last week were trash.

I won’t be surprised if Kenny Moore is on Ju Ju. He isn’t as big as Sutton so I think Kenny could handle him. 

8 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I think you're overreacting a bit on the decline talk. He still produces at a high level like last year. However, just like in 2017 his numbers will drop because JB doesn't push the ball downfield. TY failed to reach 1K that year, and the only other time before that was his rookie year. Based on pace, I don't see him reaching it this year either. JB  has to see the guy open and doesn't like to take many risks like AL. TY has never been unreasonable during negotiations and I don't see that happening, the older he gets.

All valid points with regards to JB and Hilton’s numbers, however, before Hilton signed, I recall an article quoting Hilton as saying he was not giving any hometown discounts during his signing. Also, in planning for this next contract, the team is going to have to decide a few things

1. is he breaking down

2. is paying a guy to run speed, deep routes worth paying XXX$ if the scheme isn’t predicated on deep passes

3. do we have the right QB throwing to our guys

4. do we search or change scheme to incorporate more Eddleman (pats) like players in the future. Not speed but quick and twitchy types. 

the offense sure confuses me in the type of personnel we have obtained in the passing part vs what we have in the QB. if JB can’t or won’t throw deep with his big arm, what’s the point in having speed guys who run downfield primarily? Luck basically pigeonholed this team doing things the way he did.