Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett making history.

Stephen

32 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think we need a good lead blocker to take our run game to the next level.  Either a fullback or a guy that can moonlight as one

I'd concur to a degree but add the nuance of ideally it would be a TE who is a legitimate threat in the receiving game so you can disguise better. Doyle I would have said was capable, but his blocking looks to be worse this year IMO.

George Kittle is a very scary man.

16 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

It could mean that the QB is being too careful with the ball on his throws. Meaning he doesn’t trust his arm enough to make deeper or tighter throws. 

If the QB is too careful throwing the ball it COULD be bad because it is making the offense somewhat one dimensional and less points are put on the board.

I believe the Colts are dealing with this now. The last three games the defenses have stacked the box and made the run game difficult. Teams are trying to make Brissett beat them.

KC got ran all over by our O-line even when they stacked the box.

Texans Played the run well but Brissett has a great game

DEN played the run well and Brissett made a ton of short careful throws (not including the first one on the last drive) The Colts almost got beat because the passing offense was no where to be found until that last drive.

I get frustrated because our offense isn’t as opened up as it could be.

Brissett HAS a better arm than Andrew had and he has some elite traits as a QB. However Brissett plays like he doesn’t trust himself to make certain throws and SEEMS to second guess himself at times. He plays like an ultimate game manager.

Now the Colts are winning so it’s all sunshine and rainbows but at some point these one score or less games are going to turn into losses.

That's true, but if Brissett was playing out of his comfort zone and throwing more INT's some of the games could have also been losses.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

It could mean that the QB is being too careful with the ball on his throws. Meaning he doesn’t trust his arm enough to make deeper or tighter throws. 

To be fair, that's a dangerous inference to make from INT% alone, but when you do look at it combined with ADOT etc etc. you have more of a case. You can't say that it's a confidence thing necessarily. I think it's more a combination of game planning and Brissett perhaps not being as egotistical(?) as some of the gunslingers we've seen previously in the league. 

If the QB is too careful throwing the ball it COULD be bad because it is making the offense somewhat one dimensional and less points are put on the board.

A fair pointt. 

I believe the Colts are dealing with this now. The last three games the defenses have stacked the box and made the run game difficult. Teams are trying to make Brissett beat them.

Again fair. 

Brissett HAS a better arm than Andrew had and he has some elite traits as a QB. However Brissett plays like he doesn’t trust himself to make certain throws and SEEMS to second guess himself at times. He plays like an ultimate game manager.

Arm strength maybe, mechanics wise.. eh, he's cleaned it up some but is still quite a long wind up. Not to say Luck had perfect mechanics either. 

Now the Colts are winning so it’s all sunshine and rainbows but at some point these one score or less games are going to turn into losses.

That's worry, people don't seem to understand how much we've won against the snide so to speak. Very much could as easily be 2-5. True that's the nature of the game, but winning every game by one score or less would normally see regression to the mean at some point. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

That's true, but if Brissett was playing out of his comfort zone and throwing more INT's some of the games could have also been losses.

Would you say it's fair to say that Brissett hasn't lost us games (by as you say throwing picks), but perhaps haven't also seen him put the team on his back so to speak . I know I know, look at the play against Denver, but that'e one play and after that the drive came perilously close to stalling (thanks more to conservative playcalling). 

It's not intended as a criticism, I don't think he's much opportunity/need to play like that as outside of perhaps Oakland I don't think we've ever had to abandon the run totally yet. 

15 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Would you say it's fair to say that Brissett hasn't lost us games (by as you say throwing picks), but perhaps haven't also seen him put the team on his back so to speak . I know I know, look at the play against Denver, but that'e one play and after that the drive came perilously close to stalling (thanks more to conservative playcalling). 

It's not intended as a criticism, I don't think he's much opportunity/need to play like that as outside of perhaps Oakland I don't think we've ever had to abandon the run totally yet. 

He carried us against  Houston  and the falcons

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'd concur to a degree but add the nuance of ideally it would be a TE who is a legitimate threat in the receiving game so you can disguise better. Doyle I would have said was capable, but his blocking looks to be worse this year IMO.

George Kittle is a very scary man.

Juszczyk is what makes that SF run game really go...he is actually a decent receiving threat.

Last season, the Colts would use Hewitt as an extra blocker (and even sometimes use jumbo packages)...and it worked to open up big running lanes. But teams weren't crowding the line last year like they are now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Juszczyk is what makes that SF run game really go...he is actually a decent receiving threat.

Last season, the Colts would use Hewitt as an extra blocker (and even sometimes use jumbo packages)...and it worked to open up big running lanes. But teams weren't crowding the line last year like they are now.

I feel bad for not giving Juszczyk due credit now. He is, as you say, a legit receiving threat.

Really reminds me of Harbaugh era 49ers when they had Bruce Miller. I was at the Jags/49ers game and just remember him going out wide with no one picking him up at all. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

He hasn't needed to yet.  

I can't criticize a QB for not putting us in a position where he needs to carry the team.  

I never liked the love that QB's get for the amount of 4th quarter comebacks they have.   I always thought that if they didn't put the team in that position in the first place, they wouldn't need to come back.

I think Reich is partially to blame for the conservative play from Brissett.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

He hasn't needed to yet.  

I can't criticize a QB for not putting us in a position where he needs to carry the team.  

I never liked the love that QB's get for the amount of 4th quarter comebacks they have.   I always thought that if they didn't put the team in that position in the first place, they wouldn't need to come back.

I think Reich is partially to blame for the conservative play from Brissett.  

I don't disagree with this really. As you say quite often it's the QB who has put you in that hole in the first place, but, it does show the ability to overcome stuff and not crumble.  

100% agree that Reich is playing a part too. Like I said, wasn't meant to be a criticism, just playing DA. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we beat Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh without Andrew Luck that would be a huge win, they don't have Big Ben and we don't have Luck so it is even at least. Winning with a below average QB like JB according to some will be a miracle lmao . 

Dont you like how almost no one is giveng the Colts credit for their wins without Andrew? Everyone is acting like we still have the guy and any time the Colts win the other team is given excuse after excuse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Yards are meaning less if you lose

Does this mean that they used to mean more before the loss? :P

When you consider we are just specks on a grain of sand endlessly being thrown around with no control of it's own destiny on the beach of the universe... it's all pretty meaningless. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Andrew Luck on fire throwing off the torn shoulder of Orion. I watched C-Kelly glitter in the dark near during the Tannhäuser preseason. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears during a snow game. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

When you consider we are just specks on a grain of sand endlessly being thrown around with no control of it's own destiny on the beach of the universe... it's all pretty meaningless. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Andrew Luck on fire throwing off the torn shoulder of Orion. I watched C-Kelly glitter in the dark near during the Tannhäuser preseason. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears during a snow game. 

tumblr_oweqgsoL2A1rrkahjo5_500.gif

Nominating 

@SteelCityColt for post of the year.

• Haha 1

its kind of amusing just how split everyone is on this guy. 

pff has him like 25th, nfl.com 15th .  i would put Murray and Jimmy G above him 

hes around the floor of starters that can win games in the league imo, but i doubt thats good enough for a super bowl

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

its kind of amusing just how split everyone is on this guy. 

pff has him like 25th, nfl.com 15th .  i would put Murray and Jimmy G above him 

hes around the floor of starters that can win games in the league imo, but i doubt thats good enough for a super bowl

It's because he's very puzzling. 

On the one hand, we're not seeing gaudy numbers, the deep ball and there's things on film that are pretty much 'rookie' mistakes. 

On the other... the TD/INT ratio is great, he seems to have a lot of poise and the intangibles (it's "his" team), makes some sensible decisions and aside from the mechanics perhaps not being aesthetically the best, he certainly has a good enough arm. In addition although I  completely disagree with Ws being used to assess a QB, for those you look to that, he 'has' a 5-2 record.  

It's a unique situation we've found ourselves in really, caused by an unprecedented event, the psychology of that will also play IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's Friday PM, work is slow, and I've been fed too much sugar. It was never going to end well. 

It didn't end well for Roy either..... lol

Hang in there. I've over caffeinated myself today, so I'm sure a crash is in my future.... 

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I  completely disagree with Ws being used to assess a QB, for those you look to that, he 'has' a 5-2 record.  

i do factor wins into it.  if you told me to ignore that metric id personally rank him lower than i do now.  looks like thats what pff did

he wasnt good against denver until that play at the end, that one play did a lot to make him look better.  nfl.com mentioned this in their rank

50 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I was saying I rather have Brissett  throw 1td with 190 yards passing and we win than have Brissett  throw for 1td 450 yards and 3 ints and we lose.

That is the difference  between  Brissett's bad and Luck's  bad. So far this year even when  Brissett  has had a bad game we haven't been blow out and still had a chance  to win, but if your qb forces throws and gets 3 to 5 ints in a game that he knows he is struggling  in it's  hard to win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I was saying I rather have Brissett  throw 1td with 190 yards passing and we win than have Brissett  throw for 1td 450 yards and 3 ints and we lose.

That is the difference  between  Brissett's bad and Luck's  bad. So far this year even when  Brissett  has had a bad game we haven't been blow out and still had a chance  to win, but if your qb forces throws and gets 3 to 5 ints in a game that he knows he is struggling  in it's  hard to win.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i do factor wins into it.  if you told me to ignore that metric id personally rank him lower than i do now.  looks like thats what pff did

he wasnt good against denver until that play at the end, that one play did a lot to make him look better.  nfl.com mentioned this in their rank

That denver game was similar  to luck in the kc game except  we managed  to win. I can't  blame Brissett  if the wrs aren't  getting  open.

We already know who Chester  Rogers is. Pascal did nothing  as well. Cain wasn't  active and Campbell  didn't  play  enough  snaps.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That denver game was similar  to luck in the kc game except  we managed  to win. I can't  blame Brissett  if the wrs aren't  getting  open.

We already know who Chester  Rogers is. Pascal did nothing  as well. Cain wasn't  active and Campbell  didn't  play  enough  snaps.

It’s been shown that the WRs aren’t covered on every play.... 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

They weren't  making plays when targeted either 

I don’t recall many drops against Denver so how do you square that?

Posters need to stop dealing in absolutes, it’s lazy. It’s not all on the WRs, it’s not all in the QB, it’s not all on the O line etc etc. 

From just one game @Superman pulled out good examples of WRs being open down the field. Now you can debate why they aren’t targeted. 

The theme I’ve seen over the last few game from a, admittedly low level, dip into All 22 is teams are playing the short/intermediate pass with less concern about being beaten over the top. Makes logical sense that they are really. 

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

They weren't  making plays when targeted either 

When you say not making plays, what exactly are you talking about. 

Aside from Ebron in one game, drops haven't been much of an issue. TY has a couple, but he's also got some pretty bad targets and a lot of targets that were forced into tight coverage (while others were open).

If you're talking about YAC, JB isn't hitting a lot of guys in stride, up the seam, or leading them when streaking across the middle. The overwhelming majority of his passes are to "possession" type routes which aren't designed to get a lot of YAC in the first place. 

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Would you say it's fair to say that Brissett hasn't lost us games (by as you say throwing picks), but perhaps haven't also seen him put the team on his back so to speak .

No, it would not be fair to say that. 

Against the Falcons he put the team on his back. 

Against the Chargers in game 1, he and Mack together put the team on their backs.   

Against the Texans he carried us most of the way and the defense finished it off. 

against the Broncos we don't win if he doesn't pull some insane luck and execution out of his backside.

At the moment were about half and half "Brissett carried the team" and "the team carried Brissett."

After he legit stole the game against the Broncos it's no longer accurate to say he hasn't stolen games.  After the Falcons when the run game did nothing and Brissett was dominant in the 4 minute drill it's not accurate to say he can't carry the offense.  After Brissett outdueled watson it's not accurate to say that he can't do this to good teams

He was also more instrumental than people think he was against the Chiefs in Arrowhead, with a rushing TD and a number of solid plays between the 20s to keep KC from setting up against the run and set up key field goals.

We ran into a great defense that was motivated to play us last week, and recency bias is having its obvious effect.  But at the end of the day, Brissett has done everything he needs to do and done a lot of it better than any of us expected at the outset.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

KC got ran all over by our O-line even when they stacked the box.

Texans Played the run well but Brissett has a great game

DEN played the run well and Brissett made a ton of short careful throws (not including the first one on the last drive) The Colts almost got beat because the passing offense was no where to be found until that last drive.

I get frustrated because our offense isn’t as opened up as it could be.

Minor correction. . . he has more power on this throws than Andrew.  I strongly doubt (although it's hard to know for certain since he doesn't try them) that he has the downfield accuracy of Andrew.

There are a couple possible explanations for this.  

1. Brissett simply can't routinely make an accurate throw to someone streaking down the field.  He has the power but no accuracy.  

2. Brissett can't make the reads quick enough to do this.  Basically Reich schemes the offense almost entirely off short throws because if his deep man is covered Brissett can't quickly switch to a 2nd or 3rd read on a more conservative throw.

Either way I think Reich has probably schemed most deep throws out of the playbook to account for these limitations.  

Another possibility that exists but I think is unlikely is that TY Hilton has lost a step and can't stretch the field deep anymore.

I find this unlikely because TY was stretching the field with injuries last year and also because this wouldn't explain why Paris Campbell hasn't been used to stretch the field.  

It would be cool if Reich could explain this but he'd never honestly answer that question because a coach isn't going to discuss the limitations of his starting quarterback.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

very common JB defense right here 

Not really, you think JB sucks so no matter how reasonable anyone is you will ignore the posts. 5-2 is the bottom line and you know that. Even if we lose Sunday, still 5-3 is good half way through. Before the season started when I thought Luck would play I had us 5-3 half way through. Losing to LAC, KC, and Pitt. I did have us going 11-5 though with Luck so JB may or may not do that. I will still take 10-6 and making the playoffs. I had 8-8 with JB when Luck retired so I have never thought the dude was Tom Brady but he is playing above average. You seem to think the dude is Curtis Painter by the way you post haha .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really, you think JB sucks so no matter how reasonable anyone is you will ignore the posts. 5-2 is the bottom line and you know that. Even if we lose Sunday, still 5-3 is good half way through. Before the season started when I thought Luck would play I had us 5-3 half way through. Losing to LAC, KC, and Pitt. I did have us going 11-5 though with Luck so JB may or may not do that. I will still take 10-6 and making the playoffs. I had 8-8 with JB when Luck retired so I have never thought the dude was Tom Brady but he is playing above average. You seem to think the dude is Curtis Painter by the way you post haha .

all anyone ever says is "any QB can do that or have that happen" its lazy. you ran rah guys have been shut down by some of the most intelligent posters on this site yet continue to argue it's actually quite funny. they bring super advanced stats and even pictures and plays yet it never seems to work. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If JB throws for 300 yards and 3 TD's and no INT's without TY at Pitt. Will you start posting again like you used too? Just asking man because you seem to hate JB.

I hate overreactions that's exactly what this is. he's average end of story I'm not ready to hand the keys to the franchise to Alex freaking Smith