Indianapolis Colts
bluephantom87

Playcalling...

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

To be fair with the point differential. Houston to me was never really in question. We pretty much controlled that game despite the pts. We needed to convert on one last drive to kill them. That is where Reich admitted he got to conservative in the 4th. He admitted he was aggressive all game and should of stayed that way/ we dominated KC also. That was a weird game we settled for FG. That’s where we have to get better. Knock teams out. We convert  just two of those FG to TD in KC and we blow turn out. We had no trouble going down field. Atlanta also never had the ball with a chance to tie. 

I love that we do what is necessary to win and yet dont feel the need to inflate our stats. We do what it takes and take games on a game by game, minute by minute basis, whichnis why Reich and co are so good at in game adjustments, for the most part. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Actually, my words were "blueprint to defend", not blueprint to defeat..... but since you went there.....

Two poor to mediocre teams with losing records have beaten us. I'm happy for every W, but our pts differential vs a very mediocre schedule probably isn't sustainable. Our current point differential is +7 or 1pt per game. Feel free to spin it that Ws are the only thing that matters, but it's disingenuous to act like it's not a concern. Only 3 teams left on our schedule have winning records, so perhaps we can squeak out things all season before running into a wall in the playoffs (if we don't improve things).

Especially with Adam being on shakey ground. No one can take the GOAT title as far as kickers are concerned away from him for what he's accomplished but with his age also comes decline. No knock on Adam it's simply a part of life. He will still have flashes of greatness here and there but to RELY on him consistently at this point is foolish.

I actually thought Frank did Adam no favors with the playcalling after the horse collar penalty late in the Bronco game that made it a 51 yard attempt in the first place BUT that's where the FLASHES from Adam will come in. Missed a PAT and a 45 yarder which could've cost us a close game (similar to San Diego), yet nailed a 55 yarder before halftime and followed that with a game winning 51 yarder. 

14 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

When has JB displayed on a regular basis that he can hit WRs downfield with this big arm you’re talking about?  Not just a handful of plays

I think Colin nailed the comparison. 

Oh his deep pass timing is very poor, I don't disagree. 

There is zero debate that JB has a rocket launcher for an arm though. 

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Oh his deep pass timing is very poor, I don't disagree. 

There is zero debate that JB has a rocket launcher for an arm though. 

That is great and all but it has yet to benefit this offense

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That is great and all but it has yet to benefit this offense

I think it's actually a detriment right now. Ebron certainly can't hold onto the laser beams coming in hot (had same issue in Detroit w/ Stafford). Even TY and Doyle have had problems catching passes that JB flings in there at top velocity trying to fit in a tight window when he's late on a throw.

I think JB's deep passing timing (being poor right now) is a big reason they don't take many deep shots as well. 

All that said, once Jacoby figures out his deep pass timing, his arm strength will turn into an asset. 

• Like 1

I think Colin was right... But there's also 31 other "tricks" in the AFC which sadly we'll probably find out sunday :facepalm:

I digress..

Our offense is so weird. One week we run down the throat of a team. The next week we can't run but throw it all over. The week after that we can do neither.. so I assume this week we will be able to run all over the place. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I think Colin was right... But there's also 31 other "tricks" in the AFC which sadly we'll probably find out sunday :facepalm:

I digress..

Our offense is so weird. One week we run down the throat of a team. The next week we can't run but throw it all over. The week after that we can do neither.. so I assume this week we will be able to run all over the place. 

Incorrect, this week we win by only scoring on ST plays. 3 and outs all the way for both us and the Steelers. Let’s have some love for the punters, they are people too after all.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I digress..

I think that is why the guy on the Steelers podcast was confused by our team. In a way I think it’s a good thing we have won games all different ways because every game will different. You have to be able to win games in different ways. It makes it harder to game plan for us.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:02 AM, bluephantom87 said:

Up to this point I love where the team is at and think Frank is doing a great job overall. With that being said I'm starting to notice that teams are loading the box to stop the run and we seem even more DETERMINED to run on the early downs to establish the running game leading to a lot of 3rd and longs as well as 3 and outs lately. 

Now I'm not saying to abandon the run but I think the playcalling needs to be mixed up a little more because the offense is starting to become predictable on 1st and 2nd downs. I'm not even seeing as much of Hines out the backfield for quick swing passes like last season. His catch at the end of the Bronco game was just as big as TY's long haul grab.

JB has proven to me that he can win with his arm and I am not saying that's the route we need to go because I too believe in a balanced offense. I think by going with some bootlegs and quick slants on early downs will help. Also try using more "spread" formations with pre snap motion to help create mismatches. Sprinkle in some no huddle to change the pace. I do believe that once Funch and Campbell return the passing game will pick up BUT remember we had neither on the roster last season.

Speaking of last year the Colts kept opposing defenses off balance DUE to the playcalling. I saw reverses some hurry up sprinkled in etc. Playing it close to the vest is leading to nail biters against some bad teams. The Colts dodged one with a shakey Adam V hitting the 51 yarder to win the game. Switch it up some and jump on the Steelers early. Go Colts!

I just went through the Denver game and the Colts had 49 1st and 2nd down plays.  The Colts ran the ball 27 of 49 times (I counted JB scrambles as passing plays because that was the intent of the call).  That's just a tad over 55%.  That is pretty balanced.

• Thanks 1

Reading the other thread that described each play, it struck me that JBs downfield options were covered when we called pass plays on 1st or 2nd downs....which led to several scrambles.

On third down, his short options were covered but his longer options opened up.

This sounds like Denver observed some trends. 

Maybe no different than the normal trend that NFL QBs tend to try to convert 3rd downs by not looking 15 yards past the first down marker.

These types of threads crack me up.  You can't please everyone.  Winning is supposed to cure everything, but even when we're winning, we're not winning good enough.

If we don't run "enough" like we did against the Texans, then Mack needs to get more carries.  If we don't get "enough" chunk plays, Hines should catch more passes and JB should take more shots downfield.  If their stats aren't good enough, then Ebron, Doyle, TY, Cain, etc. should get more targets...

Does everyone realize how much of a catch-22 this all is?  There's simply not enough balls/stats to go around for every player on offense.  With the ball-control offense that Reich likes to run, we're not going to have games where JB throws for 400 yds and 4 TDs, while Mack has 150 yds and 2 TDs, and TY, Ebron, Doyle, Cain, etc. all get targets, catches, yds, and TDs.

We might win every remaining game, but never score more than 30 points, and every player on offense will have very average stats by the end of the year.  And that's OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Incorrect, this week we win by only scoring on ST plays. 3 and outs all the way for both us and the Steelers. Let’s have some love for the punters, they are people too after all.

Hey.. I been following Pat Mcafee.. dude is hilarious! Just made me think.. man these punters and kickers have personalities too. I miss that dude!

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Reading the other thread that described each play, it struck me that JBs downfield options were covered when we called pass plays on 1st or 2nd downs....which led to several scrambles.

On third down, his short options were covered but his longer options opened up.

This sounds like Denver observed some trends. 

Maybe no different than the normal trend that NFL QBs tend to try to convert 3rd downs by not looking 15 yards past the first down marker.

I think that is a good point.  On 3rd down aggressive defenses, like the Broncos, are going to rely more on pressuring the QB to eliminate the deep ball and less coverage.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think that is a good point.  On 3rd down aggressive defenses, like the Broncos, are going to rely more on pressuring the QB to eliminate the deep ball and less coverage.

I don't know if JB had time to throw deep in those situations or not.  I think he probably thought, like most QBs, that Denver is going to bring the pressure so he's not going to have time to wait for a downfield route to develop and would look to throw short regardless of the coverage.

Again, I don't often see many QBs throw a 15-20 yard completion on 3rd and 7, but I know it happens.  So not seeing or even looking for an open receiver downfield in those situations doesn't strike me as negative relative to other QBs.

14 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Especially with Adam being on shakey ground. No one can take the GOAT title as far as kickers are concerned away from him for what he's accomplished but with his age also comes decline. No knock on Adam it's simply a part of life. He will still have flashes of greatness here and there but to RELY on him consistently at this point is foolish.

I actually thought Frank did Adam no favors with the playcalling after the horse collar penalty late in the Bronco game that made it a 51 yard attempt in the first place BUT that's where the FLASHES from Adam will come in. Missed a PAT and a 45 yarder which could've cost us a close game (similar to San Diego), yet nailed a 55 yarder before halftime and followed that with a game winning 51 yarder. 

I really love Adam, but every time he gets ready to kick this year creates a strong pucker reflex now lol. And yes, I think Frank needs to help him out a little more when we're in those types of situations. It was a bit of a head scratcher given how he is so aggressive at times, and others he's pretty conservative.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I really love Adam, but every time he gets ready to kick this year creates a strong pucker reflex now lol. And yes, I think Frank needs to help him out a little more when we're in those types of situations. It was a bit of a head scratcher given how he is so aggressive at times, and others he's pretty conservative.

I knew he would make it at the end, no problem :sarcasm:. All kidding aside I did feel good about it. Adam is just a different cat when it comes to clutch kicks.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I knew he would make it at the end, no problem :sarcasm:. All kidding aside I did feel good about it. Adam is just a different cat when it comes to clutch kicks.

I hope he gets a good exorcism before we go to Pitt this weekend :thmup:

• Haha 1

Something else I would like to see. In 2nd and short or 3rd and short take a chance to throw a bomb down field. Teams think it’s going to be a run and you might be able to catch them off guard.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Something else I would like to see. In 2nd and short or 3rd and short take a chance to throw a bomb down field. Teams think it’s going to be a run and you might be able to catch them off guard.

So it doesnt matter how the D is set....JUST THROW THE BOMB......  Come on Chloe....  I like you , but you need to learn football instead of posting non senses 

1 minute ago, DerekDiggler said:

So it doesnt matter how the D is set....JUST THROW THE BOMB......  Come on Chloe....  I like you , but you need to learn football instead of posting non senses 

That isn’t what I said lol. You really got that out of what I said. It’s about trying different things so your unpredictable. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

That isn’t what I said lol. You really got that out of what I said. It’s about trying different things so your unpredictable. 

JB AND Frank read the D     yea maybe the run play goes for 2 yards... But better than an INT.

Just saying you cant call a play before the QB is under center and sees the D

14 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

JB AND Frank read the D     yea maybe the run play goes for 2 yards... But better than an INT.

Just saying you cant call a play before the QB is under center and sees the D

Duh. Sometimes a QB will have a few different plays to choose from before snapping the ball.  You see a lot of teams on very short yards taking a deep shot.  

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Duh. Sometimes a QB will have a few different plays to choose from before snapping the ball.  You see a lot of teams on very short yards taking a deep shot.  

Come on Chickie..... It's like Im talking to my in laws....   every offensive play depends on the D 

With TY being out I hope the gameplan will simply not be to pound the ball! More than ever Frank needs to be creative. They are the Steelers by name but they are NOT a good football team. This is a below avg Mason led team. Even with Big Ben game 1 they lost by 30 to the Pats because the talent level is subpar. Take away Ju Ju and they have no passing game. Connor has looked pedestrian but looked good against the Phins last week but EVERYONE has looked good against the Phins. Lol

The Colts need to be aggressive on BOTH sides of the ball and get into attack mode early! That's what I miss about the Peyton years... the Colts would put their foot into an inferior team's throat. The Steelers have a decent defense but they're no world beaters. If the Colts come out playing it "safe" then it will be a dogfight because their crowd will get into it and the Steelers will start to feed off that...