Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Stephen

The wr problem.

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Josh Gordon was waived today.  I wonder if Ballard will put in a claim.  We are probably too far down the pecking order anyway.  But he sure would take the pressure off TY.  

This was expected. His time with the Pats was assumed ended when they put him on IR.

 

Gordon is a headcase, I doubt Ballard gave it one thought. I also doubt Ballard thinks we have a "WR problem" either.... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

This was expected. His time with the Pats was assumed ended when they put him on IR.

 

Gordon is a headcase, I doubt Ballard gave it one thought. I also doubt Ballard thinks we have a "WR problem" either.... 

I would take a swing.

 

no risk possible medium reward.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I would take a swing.

 

no risk possible medium reward.

There's always risk when you add a head case. There's a reason BB dropped him without anything in return, and spent a 2nd on bringing in Sanu. And we all know how much BB values draft capital. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

 

Gordon is a headcase, I doubt Ballard gave it one thought. I also doubt Ballard thinks we have a "WR problem" either.... 

He has well documented addiction issues, is there something else that makes him a headcase though?  I'm honestly asking, not stirring the pot.  I don't remember him ever being in off the field trouble crime wise, or being a lazy guy, domestic abuser, or bad teammate.... If its just the addiction issues you refer to then I have to respectfully say that yours is just a bad take.  

 

That said, why not? This is a less than zero risk, potential high reward scenario.  I would think it's exactly the kind of move Ballard would try to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be ok to bring Gordon in. The question is who do you cut when Funchess comes back. It would have to be Cain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

That's what I thought.  Nothing really to lose here.   May as well.

Not nothing to lose.  Everything has a cost.  But that cost is probably nothing worse than sacrificing the developmental potential of a niche receiver like Deon Cain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

He has well documented addiction issues, is there something else that makes him a headcase though?  I'm honestly asking, not stirring the pot.  I don't remember him ever being in off the field trouble crime wise, or being a lazy guy, domestic abuser, or bad teammate.... If its just the addiction issues you refer to then I have to respectfully say that yours is just a bad take.  

 

That said, why not? This is a less than zero risk, potential high reward scenario.  I would think it's exactly the kind of move Ballard would try to make.

Truly sorry for him struggling with substance abuse, but it's not just that. His behavior is also well documented. He was on probation going into college for theft of credit cards (he went to Baylor because he was not allowed to leave the state), and was kicked out of several schools for theft of electronics and other things prior to that.

 

He was also a huge distraction in the Browns locker room and was suspended for issues other than substance issues. Now I'm sure substance issues could have played a part in all of those behaviors, but that doesn't negate the behaviors themselves. I hope he stays sober and succeeds in life, but to act like there is no risk to the locker room chemistry is silly. He's the definition of "risk", and if he couldn't make it with BB (who has a great history of taking chances), I'll pass.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not nothing to lose.  Everything has a cost.  But that cost is probably nothing worse than sacrificing the developmental potential of a niche receiver like Deon Cain

I do think we have a few niche receivers already.  So the cost is pretty minor.  They can be developed on the practice squad.  Unfortunately TY is our only good WR until Funchess comes back.  Tough to make a serious run with just one.   We can only hope they can develop fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I do think we have a few niche receivers already.  So the cost is pretty minor.  They can be developed on the practice squad.  Unfortunately TY is our only good WR until Funchess comes back.  Tough to make a serious run with just one.   We can only hope they can develop fast. 

Yet we made an incredible run last year after the OL settled and Mack came back with TY and Rogers as our two best WRs, and didn't even have Doyle... We're only missing Inman who is only 8/13 this year, and Ryan Grant who is 4/9. 

 

Given the stats and all22 screen shots, this whole narrative of "WR problems" is lazy and silly. 

 

TY is getting the same amount of catches per game yet on track to get 33% less yards. Ebron 30% less, Rogers almost 50% less, MAC 60% less, etc.. The only pass catcher getting more YPG than last is Pascal, primarily because of one big game and 2 blown coverage catches. 

 

Having Funch back should make you happy. He'll be a primary read more than the rest of hte WRs and catch a lot a short/intermediate catches from the slot, which will be like having a 2nd or 3rd TE on the field. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sanders looks great with SF, he is so fast.


Don’t worry maybe Frank is waiting until December to open up the offense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:


Don’t worry maybe Frank is waiting until December to open up the offense 

not sure if your'e joking     but that may very well be the plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 11:03 AM, krunk said:

You find it amusing but you know full well the Colts are going to bring Fountain back.  And you know they aren't getting rid of Cain anytime this year so they seem to be a bit more patient than you are.  If Cain shows anything this year which I'm banking he will then you can expect he'll be back next year as well. They are patient will players who show the talent and the ability along with the other things they look for even if you don't see it immediately before your own eyes. 


Sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 8:04 PM, DougDew said:

 

Simple:

 

UDFA, UDFA, UDFA, 6th rounder, 5th rounder.

 

Funchess and Ebron were cast offs from the teams that drafted them.  Consistency maybe?

 

Campbell, a 3rd rounder, is a rookie.

Funchess is brittle and Ebron drops wayyyyy too many passes.

Campbell was a 2nd rounder...but he is another injury-prone Ohio State product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Funchess is brittle and Ebron drops wayyyyy too many passes.

Up to this year I think DF has only missed one game in his career. It was just bad luck he got injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 8:54 PM, Mr.Debonair said:


Don’t worry maybe Frank is waiting until December to open up the offense 

He can never "open up the offense" with Brissett...Brissett just can't do it...Frank will keep him as a game manager.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Up to this year I think DF has only missed one game in his career. It was just bad luck he got injured.

He was saving it for us...lol.

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

He can never "open up the offense" with Brissett...Brissett just can't do it...Frank will keep him as a game manager.

 

I think the Falcons and Texans would disagree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 1:24 PM, krunk said:

That will happen soon.  Definitely before the cut ever happens

Ouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

He was saving it for us...lol.

 

We seem to be snake bitten at WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if this speaks to the seriousness or not of Campbell’s broken hand. He has a Instagram story and all he has is some gauze on the top of his hand. No cast or anything. That seems like maybe he broke a small bone on the top of his hand. He did need surgery but it seems maybe that makes it less serious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont see all this forums bashing of rogers, he is not elite but he can move the chains, he has a way of being open on third down, not flashy for long gains but he is steady. the coaches must like him or he would be gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you have access to the coaches film, know what the reads are, know what the routes are supposed to be, know what the qb is thinking, the only thing a fan can go is what they see on TV and all you can see on TV for the most part is the beginning of the route.  If the ball is thrown to them, you can see if they were open or always blanketed and whether they caught or dropped a ball, but that is a very small sampling size.  The majority of snaps, we have no idea what they're doing.  IMO, hardly enough to make declarative statements that someone cannot get open or runs bad routes etc. 

 

So just how are you guys making all these judgements?  Not arguing, but I've always been curious about some of these wr comments. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 10:04 AM, Chloe6124 said:

The fact Reich doesn’t even seem to know how to use Campbell is weird to me.

Campbell also has a staying healthy problem he was back what 3 quarters of a game now he is out several more weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they paid funchess 10 million $ to help fix this, too bad he got hurt in the first game

 

i still wish they signed Bell instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cbear said:

Unless you have access to the coaches film, know what the reads are, know what the routes are supposed to be, know what the qb is thinking, the only thing a fan can go is what they see on TV and all you can see on TV for the most part is the beginning of the route.  If the ball is thrown to them, you can see if they were open or always blanketed and whether they caught or dropped a ball, but that is a very small sampling size.  The majority of snaps, we have no idea what they're doing.  IMO, hardly enough to make declarative statements that someone cannot get open or runs bad routes etc. 

 

So just how are you guys making all these judgements?  Not arguing, but I've always been curious about some of these wr comments. 

 

 In my case i am watching Cain's body and footwork. Having watched many GREAT receivers for 50+ years i have some knowledge what Good looks like.
 Yes it is a small sample with Cain, but he looked lousy at setting up defenders.
  He never seemed to get guys to flip their hips and then break away. Watch Ya Sin for an example, they break him time and again.
 The exception being at that little shoulder fake he used on his big Deep, penalty drawing bombs this season. Huge plays for us. I complimented him here for using the same move T Y has used for such plays. We saw him make a great toe tapping sideline play, that summarizes his season.  
IMO the light just hasn't come on for him yet. We can wish him the best on his future endeavers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...