Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't feel like Ballard is up for this type of splashes, especially with how much trust they seem to have in Khari Willis. 

If I'm not mistaken(correct me if I am) Ballard is yet to trade ANY draft pick for a player? Or am I missing something? He likes his picks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd give them a 1st in a heartbeat. We're most likely going to make it to the playoffs, so that 1st won't be that high. Name a player we could draft in the mid to late twenties that could have more of an impact than Adams. Khari Willis is a decent rookie, but he's not Jamal Adams. This conservative approach is nice and all, but eventually you're going to have to make a move. 

21 minutes ago, Coltivated said:

Please dear lord baby Jesus help this happen. I would love Jamal Adams on the Colts. Dream really 

What are you talking about? There has been no speculation of interest in Adams. From what I’ve read the Cowboys are making a play for him. No word of the Colts involved there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Jamal Adams would be a fantastic pickup...probably too costly though. I still think the Minkah deal would have been a slam dunk.

Yep, Fitzpatrick would have been a great trade.    We blew it on that one.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Can't have too many good Ss though. That gives you a lot of flexibility in how you deploy nickel and dime coverages.

You know what they drafted him for and it wasn't for just playing sub packages.  I think Ballards integrity won't allow him to make that move.  I don't see it happening. 

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep, Fitzpatrick would have been a great trade.    We blew it on that one.  

A late 1st round pick for a legit lottery pick with his rookie year past him. Almost no risk involved.

Fair to say that Minkah has fueled PIT's turnaround...and I think his impact on this defense would have been substantial. Oh well...maybe Ballard pulls the trigger on a deal like that next time.

5 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

What are you talking about? There has been no speculation of interest in Adams. From what I’ve read the Cowboys are making a play for him. No word of the Colts involved there.

So that means he is only available to the cowboys? I am simply Stating that the colts should be very interesting as well as many other teams.

Just now, krunk said:

You know what they drafted him for and it wasn't for just playing sub packages.  I think Ballards integrity won't allow him to make that move.  I don't see it happening. 

That sounds like hubris...more than integrity. I would like to think Ballard is open-minded to upgrading positions when he can...especially when players like this become available.

Willis has been solid...but he's currently hurt and certainly not proven. Adams is only one year older than Willis and a proven Pro Bowl talent...and would fit right in with what they are trying to do.

It won't happen...as we know...but I think that should/would be for other reasons...not current roster makeup.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That sounds like hubris...more than integrity. I would like to think Ballard is open-minded to upgrading positions when he can...especially when players like this become available.

Willis has been solid...but he's currently hurt and certainly not proven. Adams is only one year older than Willis and a proven Pro Bowl talent...and would fit right in with what they are trying to do.

It won't happen...as we know...but I think that should/would be for other reasons...not current roster makeup.

Its not hubris at all.  Why in the hell did you draft a SS  who you fully intend on starting?  Your model is build through the draft and then you immediately replace the guy with a FA thinking that the grass was greener.  It doesn't fit and especially when you see that young player is going to be very good.   I doubt Ballard makes a move. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

A late 1st round pick for a legit lottery pick with his rookie year past him. Almost no risk involved.

Fair to say that Minkah has fueled PIT's turnaround...and I think his impact on this defense would have been substantial. Oh well...maybe Ballard pulls the trigger on a deal like that next time.

Yep, he could have been ours.

Besides being a great player and extremely smart, he comes for cheap.   

I think we'll be introduced to him next week.

Fitzpatrick is under contract through 2021, and into his fifth-year option, through 2022. Critically, because of the rookie wage scale and how contracts are written under it, Fitzpatrick’s salary is already cheap, but would get cheaper with a trade.

When a player is traded, the team trading him away is still on the hook for the guaranteed money attached to the signing bonus. Fitzpatrick’s initial deal was four years, $16.4M, with $10M guaranteed in a signing bonus. $2.5M of that signing bonus was already paid, but the remaining $7.5M stays on the Dolphins’ books. $500K of the leftover $6.4M in base salary was already paid; $5.9M remains. 

21 minutes ago, Coltivated said:

So that means he is only available to the cowboys? I am simply Stating that the colts should be very interesting as well as many other teams.

Why should the Colts be Interested in him if Safety is not a pressing concern? That makes no sense.

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

There's always somebody available that appears to be better, but sometimes when you know you have young talent that won't take long to be really good you have to stay with the guys you drafted. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

There's always somebody available that appears to be better, but sometimes when you know you have young talent that won't take long to be really good you have to stay with the guys you drafted. 

Ballard staying true to that model.....resonates with those guys in the locker room. If you are an upcoming FA for the Colts, could that add to your desire to stay at home for a little less? Quite possible. Deviate one time, and your word is empty. I love how he is building this team and family. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solon said:

I'd give them a 1st in a heartbeat. We're most likely going to make it to the playoffs, so that 1st won't be that high. Name a player we could draft in the mid to late twenties that could have more of an impact than Adams. Khari Willis is a decent rookie, but he's not Jamal Adams. This conservative approach is nice and all, but eventually you're going to have to make a move. 

Jets want more than a 1st.  U already have your SS  of the future, Willis.  The idea is to trade for postions of need not strength.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Its not hubris at all.  Why in the hell did you draft a SS  who you fully intend on starting?  Your model is build through the draft and then you immediately replace the guy with a FA thinking that the grass was greener.  It doesn't fit and especially when you see that young player is going to be very good.   I doubt Ballard makes a move. 

I think we are bit early Willis on being very good. But regardless, he was a 4th round pick...and planning on that guy being your starting SS for the foreseeable future isn't prudent.

Just look at DE as well...Ballard actually drafted a pair of DEs in 2018. Even with two 2nd round prospects, Sheard and a couple other guys...he still signs Houston as a FA and draft Banogu. It's not about the grass being greener...it's improving the talent level of a group.

Adams isn't really a FA anyways...he is a 24 year-old Pro Bowl S...who Ballard would have never had an opportunity to acquire otherwise. Hell...he's only one year older than Willis..and would be a foundation piece going forward.

But this goes back to my belief that really can't have too many good Ss...especially when you run nickel 60% of the time. Ideally, you have two very good/great ones in the base defense and another good one that can mix in on nickel and dime. So in that way, Willis would still have a major role.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Right...but nobody is being cast aside.  

This year...the Colts signed Funchess...despite having drafted Cain, Fountain and Campbell. You can stay with the guys you have AND add in talented guys when opportunities present themselves. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Ballard staying true to that model.....resonates with those guys in the locker room. If you are an upcoming FA for the Colts, could that add to your desire to stay at home for a little less? Quite possible. Deviate one time, and your word is empty. I love how he is building this team and family. 

I think winning resonates well...as does competition...which Ballard has preached since he arrived. That is a huge part of the model. 

I don't really see how adding a talented player via trade is deviating from that model. Every year, Ballard drafts at least 7 guys and signs another handful in FA. It's not like those guys come here to back up the incumbents...they are here to compete and take someone's job.