Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
BigQungus

Permanent Position for Banogu?

Recommended Posts

The coaching staff has been switching Banogu with a lot of positions. He may have found his permanent-ish position now as our DE for passing downs, which was the role of Turay before he got hurt. Should we keep him there and utilize him more now that we've found a good spot for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

The coaching staff has been switching Banogu with a lot of positions. He may have found his permanent-ish position now as our DE for passing downs, which was the role of Turay before he got hurt. Should we keep him there and utilize him more now that we've found a good spot for him?

i don't think we have enough to say yes or no. 1 game at DE doesn't give us enough information

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he seems like a 3-4 OLB to me.  

 

we will probably use him as an edge rusher on passing downs here, seems a little small to be a run stopping DE 

 

does he ever play off the Los?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

The coaching staff has been switching Banogu with a lot of positions. He may have found his permanent-ish position now as our DE for passing downs, which was the role of Turay before he got hurt. Should we keep him there and utilize him more now that we've found a good spot for him?

It’s refreshing to know, once again CB has provided quality picks for Coach Reich to make the most of injuries like Turay’s. It’s the “Youth” movement of the team that has me the most excited personally. Back to the topic, yes Banogu definitely has earned another look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i don't think we have enough to say yes or no. 1 game at DE doesn't give us enough information

 

Ok, but at least for the time being

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully he works out with Mathis over the off season like Turay did and he really takes a jump next season. He was so good yesterday. I think he has three sacks this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He hasn't practiced a snap at SAM since OTA's.

 

They've all publicly stated his position is Defensive End since Training Camp.

 

He has played fairly well every time he's been on the field, the results beared it out statistically this past game a bit better....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BigQungus said:

The coaching staff has been switching Banogu with a lot of positions. He may have found his permanent-ish position now as our DE for passing downs, which was the role of Turay before he got hurt. Should we keep him there and utilize him more now that we've found a good spot for him?

I’m quite positive that he’s been playing at DE since he’s arrived. 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he seems like a 3-4 OLB to me.  

 

we will probably use him as an edge rusher on passing downs here, seems a little small to be a run stopping DE 

 

does he ever play off the Los?

What are you talking about??? He plays off LOS every time we have a home game. :excited:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

I’m quite positive that he’s been playing at DE since he’s arrived. 


I wouldn’t be quite so positive about that.   Benagu had to play at least some snaps at OLB to show that he couldn’t handle the position switch.  That had to happen sometime after the draft where we announced him as an OLB. 
 

The question is....  when? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all of our young defensive linemen, the answer is the same:  you either earn the starting position by beating the man in front of you, or you get your chance to prove yourself when he retires or is injured.

 

DT Margus Hunt 32 yrs old

DE Jabaal Sheard 30 yrs old

DE Justin Huston 30 yrs old

DT Denico Autry 29 yrs old

 

DT Grover Stewart 26 yrs old

DE Al Muhammad 24 yrs old

DT Tyquan Lewis 24 yrs old

DE Kemoko Turay 24 yrs old

DE Ben Banogu 23 yrs old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I’m quite positive that he’s been playing at DE since he’s arrived. 

 

No, he's usually been used as a rotational linebacker thus far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I wouldn’t be quite so positive about that.   Benagu had to play at least some snaps at OLB to show that he couldn’t handle the position switch.  That had to happen sometime after the draft where we announced him as an OLB. 
 

The question is....  when? 

 

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

 

No, he's usually been used as a rotational linebacker thus far

I cannot speak to every single play, but on every unofficial depth chart he has been listed as a DE.  And every time I noticed him play it has been at the DE position.  I think the only time they really looked at him at LB was during the offseason.  But with the depth of Speed Okereke and Franklin, it was better to make him part of the dline rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I wouldn’t be quite so positive about that.   Benagu had to play at least some snaps at OLB to show that he couldn’t handle the position switch.  That had to happen sometime after the draft where we announced him as an OLB. 
 

The question is....  when? 

a few posts above said that was in OTAs.  i thought i had seen him at LB but wasnt sure when

 

he looks like a LB more than a 4-3 DE to me, he will probably be used as an edge rusher and not against the run.  Sheard and Houston are good against the run anyway, no need to test BB 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there's value in letting players float.  If you can move him around and he can be adequate at a number of positions that has a value all its own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

 

I cannot speak to every single play, but on every unofficial depth chart he has been listed as a DE.  And every time I noticed him play it has been at the DE position.  I think the only time they really looked at him at LB was during the offseason.  But with the depth of Speed Okereke and Franklin, it was better to make him part of the dline rotation.


Yes...   agreed.    The person I responded to said Benogu has been a DE since he “arrived”.

 

I took that to mean including camps in the off-season.   So including camps in May and June as well as early Pre-season.    Wasn’t Benogu tried out as a LB during some of that time?   Im pretty sure the coaches tried him out there before making him a full time DE.    
 

That’s all I’m trying to say.   Otherwise, I agree with your observation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see my boy starting to make some plays!  I won't lie though in uniform he does look more like an OLB(sam) than he does a DE.  I saw him as a DE coming out of college but as I'm watching him more and more he does sort of move like a LB more so than a DE.  But hey if it's working I ain't tripping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:


Yes...   agreed.    The person I responded to said Benogu has been a DE since he “arrived”.

 

I took that to mean including camps in the off-season.   So including camps in May and June as well as early Pre-season.    Wasn’t Benogu tried out as a LB during some of that time?   Im pretty sure the coaches tried him out there before making him a full time DE.    
 

That’s all I’m trying to say.   Otherwise, I agree with your observation.  

I have no idea unfortunately and I missed the part about "since he arrive".  

 

I wasn't taking sides or anything, just injecting the facts I knew into the conversation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BigQungus said:

 

No, he's usually been used as a rotational linebacker thus far


which games have you seen him lined up as a linebacker? His snaps have come with his hand in the ground at defensive end.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I have no idea unfortunately and I missed the part about "since he arrive".  

 

I wasn't taking sides or anything, just injecting the facts I knew into the conversation.


Understood...   I took your comment as intended...   appreciate the good 411. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:


which games have you seen him lined up as a linebacker? His snaps have come with his hand in the ground at defensive end.

 

I believe I saw him a few times at linebacker, especially when Leonard was out.

 

Idk... judging from the overall reaction I may have just missed it or maybe I'm delusional or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

 

I believe I saw him a few times at linebacker, especially when Leonard was out.

 

Idk... judging from the overall reaction I may have just missed it or maybe I'm delusional or something

 

The LB experiment was for like a week in the offseason. He has been exclusively a DE since.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...