Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Run D Will Have to be Adressed

Defjamz26

It doesn’t always show in the stats column if you look at the yards from a single rusher but the Colts run D isn’t playing great. Lindsey averaged 4.2 YPC and he and Freeman combined for 90 yards of rushing. And early on a good amount of those runs were for 1st downs.

And Autry and Lewis were hurt towards the end of the game too. Lewis is made of glass. I feel bad for the guy but he’s never available. So with all that I think Ballard almost has to trade for Williams from the Jets. We needed help anyways, but if Autry ever misses time it’s even worse.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It doesn’t always show in the stats column if you look at the yards from a single rusher but the Colts run D isn’t playing great. Lindsey averaged 4.2 YPC and he and Freeman combined for 90 yards of rushing. And early on a good amount of those runs were for 1st downs.

And Autry and Lewis were hurt towards the end of the game too. Lewis is made of glass. I feel bad for the guy but he’s never available. So with all that I think Ballard almost has to trade for Williams from the Jets. We needed help anyways, but if Autry ever misses time it’s even worse.

Weren't doing bad until Stewart went down which was our biggest active DT yesterday don't think he returned either.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Lewis was inactive

• Like 1

I didnt really see that big of an issue yesterday. Maybe a drive here and there. We didnt have much problem getting them off the field. Had it not been for drive killing penalties wed have gotten them off the field even faster.

I didnt really see that big of an issue yesterday. Maybe a drive here and there. We didnt have much problem getting them off the field. Had it not been for drive killing penalties wed have gotten them off the field even faster.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, krunk said:

I agree. Broncos got helped a TON from the refs on several nonsense flags.  Very hard to play the run, the pass AND THE REFs. It'd been one thing if the refs were bad on both teams but they blantantly missed Ebron getting pulled and turned almost completely around with the refs starring right at them.  I'm actually surprised Reich won that challenge.

I don't think there's much of an argument against we could do with a bit of an upgrade on the Interior D Line. I think the big issues are Hunt not playing up to the same standard as last year and Lewis not being fit again. That's 2 spots of not getting the expected production. 

McCoy or a trade for Atkins would have been interesting IMO. I can understand why those moves weren't made also. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree. Broncos got helped a TON from the refs on several nonsense flags.  Very hard to play the run, the pass AND THE REFs. It'd been one thing if the refs were bad on both teams but they blantantly missed Ebron getting pulled and turned almost completely around with the refs starring right at them.  I'm actually surprised Reich won that challenge.

That's one that I think if they don't overturn the league is ridiculed. When you're holding a receiver's hand like that. What's the excuse "oh sorry, I was just helping him across the road"?! 

How it wasn't seen by the refs in real time is another question. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I don't think there's much of an argument against we could do with a bit of an upgrade on the Interior D Line. I think the big issues are Hunt not playing up to the same standard as last year and Lewis not being fit again. That's 2 spots of not getting the expected production. 

McCoy or a trade for Atkins would have been interesting IMO. I can understand why those moves weren't made also. 

I have watched Hunt pretty closely and he did struggle in the first few games but the last two games he has been playing well and he's had limited snaps, which I think is good for him.  Hunt is not demanding double teams like last year but that will be changing as teams start watching his recent film because he is winning one on one battles the majority of the time. 

The biggest issue on the dline has been Autry, he gets manhandled pretty easily which allows the oline to double Stewart or Sheard on running plays.  Ot it allows a lineman to easily slip out to shield a LB.

Add to that the LBers (all the LBers Walker, Leonard, Okereke (I probably should learn how to spell his name)) have been very inconsistent at hitting the gap or hitting the correct gap.  There was more than a couple of occasions where I saw Walker and Leonard hitting the same gap and it was two gaps away from where the running back was going.

That being said, it's not all bad, it just seems to be feast or famine for the run D.  They either stop the RB for a short gain or a loss or they allow an 8-12 yard run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The run D was fine in this game. Colts held them to less than their average ypr.

But I do think we need an impact DT that will stay healthy.

The D was great yesterday.  With the exception of Rock.  They were put in awful situations by the inept O and still gave up only 13 pts.

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

The run D? Really? If anything the pass defense needs to be addressed because Rock ya sin was getting torched non stop.

Really pass d after watching  yesterday's  game. Ballard  needs to be on the phone with jets for Robby anderson. We need more play makers at wr. As a matter  of fact get anderson and Williams

Lindsey and Freeman can run well on most teams, so it’s not really a shocker. Yes we need to address the DT position, but one game of letting two backs get some yards isn’t the end of the world. 

I know it’s overreaction Monday and all, but some of you need to take a Xanax and relax. 

• Like 2

Lewis didn't play so it's kind of hard for him to get hurt towards the end of the game.

Having said that, the front office brought in Trevon Coley and Carl Davis to help shore that up. They have been here two weeks so they should be getting acclimated to the playbook moving forward.

And if it needs to be reminded they have not allowed a single back to get 100 yards in a long time. None last year and none this year so far. It is still a bend but don't break style of defense.....

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Lewis didn't play so it's kind of hard for him to get hurt towards the end of the game.

Having said that, the front office brought in Trevon Coley and Carl Davis to help shore that up. They have been here two weeks so they should be getting acclimated to the playbook moving forward.

And if it needs to be reminded they have not allowed a single back to get 100 yards in a long time. None last year and none this year so far. It is still a bend but don't break style of defense.....

Davis was hurt.  If Coley was out there I must have missed him. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Davis was hurt.  If Coley was out there I must have missed him. 

Neither Davis or Lewis played but when Grover went down they put Hunt back in....which is weird considering him losing his starting spot was precisely why we we out and got Coley and Davis to begin with.....as well as Lyndon Johnson on the PS

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Neither Davis or Lewis played but when Grover went down they put Hunt back in....which is weird considering him losing his starting spot was precisely why we we out and got Coley and Davis to begin with.....as well as Lyndon Johnson on the PS

I'm waiting to see Carl Davis and Grover Stewart play together.

Also let’s remember that Christian McCaffery and Alvin Kamara are still coming to town this season. And so know that those are elite backs, but they’re not impossible to stop. The Bucs shut down CMC twice. Kamara has been shut down a couple games this season too. 

Tougher tests are on the horizon for us.